Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 14:44   #14416
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hello,

One more young (22 year old) biker killed in Mumbai - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/25569254.cms

The rider - Imran Sheikh, was neither wearing a helmet not having a valid license. Luckily the co-passenger & the bike owner escaped with minor injuries.

Thanks,
Old 11th November 2013, 16:09   #14417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @ecenandu,

Thank god you are safe.

It seems you were so engrossed your thoughts that you did not notice the loose mud, & gravel & took the plunge (turn) at speeds higher than recommended on the surface. When, on bike, I encounter such surface, I go extra slow (despite food tyres in equally good condition) so that I do not slip.

Please do respect the road more than your vehicle's dynamic in future, especially in India. This will ensure this kind of accidents do not happen.
I forgot to mention, I was in fact going slow say 45~50 Kmph. The mistake I done was, I think, leaning a bit more than what was necessary.

Yup, I will. Thank you, for your concern.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:58   #14418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Met with a small accident on my bike this Sunday morning.
Hey, thanks for sharing.
Shows the utmost importance of riding gear.
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 07:29   #14419
Distinguished - BHPian

Another bus catches fire, this time enroute to Mumbai from Bangalore as per NDTV and TOI.
7 killed in bus accident in Karnataka
http://toi.in/tihGmY

Edit- News reports say its a Volvo. Something doesn't seem right with all these accidents happening and buses catching fire, the manufacturers as well as the government authorities need to look into it.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 14th November 2013 at 07:46.
Old 14th November 2013, 07:41   #14420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Another bus catches fire, this time enroute to Mumbai from Bangalore as per NDTV and TOI.
7 killed in bus accident in Karnataka
http://toi.in/tihGmY

Edit- News reports say its a Volvo.
Yes.Early reports says it is a Volvo (National Travels).
Similar story as the Hyderabad case. Crashed on divider and caught fire.

If all divider hits are ending up on fire, some deep investigations are needed to correct the issue. Hope Volvo and authorities take more serious actions this time.

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 14th November 2013 at 07:43.
Old 14th November 2013, 09:22   #14421
BHPian

A Pulsar 150 totaled in a drunk riding case:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-526145_346764365408800_871295150_n.jpg
Old 14th November 2013, 10:56   #14422
Senior - BHPian

A senior citizen killed in hit & run case in Mumbai:

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/25666216.cms

A senior citizen was killed by a unidentified vehicle near Bhabha Hospital morgue at Bandra West between 9 pm & 10 pm. The vehicle driver did not even bothered to stop & check the condition of the deceased.

Thanks,
Old 14th November 2013, 11:46   #14423
BHPian

5 Trucks Collided / Toppled; Thoppur Ghat

I drove from Bangalore to Salem last Sunday and found a huge pile-up of vehicles just before approaching the Thoppur Ghat stretch (Date: 10th Nov 2013; Time: Around 12:30 noon). Checked with a highway patrol person and to my surprise, 5 Trucks managed to get toppled / crushed / what not - they were all in a mess! This stretch is a "Frequent Accident Prone" zone and such a scene is not new to regulars in this route. Even now I wonder how these guys managed to create this mess.

Apart from the tricky road condition(s) here (multiple "S" bends in a single down-stretch), what could have attributed to this chain-accident?? Overload / speed / poor vehicle conditions / human error / tired driver(s) / lack of experience or lack of knowledge to handle such situations??!? Whatever: "Crazy" was the final outcome! The cause for such a mess is beyond normal imaginations.

Note: All pictures were taken while I was held up (Stationery) in the "Q"; Have not used the camera while driving.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134603.jpg

Truck 1:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134701.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134708.jpg

Trucks 2 & 3:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134720.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134725.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134730.jpg

Truck 4:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134733.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134738.jpg

One of the truck-remains (Truck 6, may be) gets towed away.

Note: Almost all the two wheelers out there violate some traffic rule or the other in the next few pictures.

(Read: Driving without helmets / triples / mobile phone while driving,... --> All these on a "Accident-prone" National Highway!! )

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134825.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134829.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134838.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134902.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134916.jpg

Remains of the last truck - almost ripped down to its last piece.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131110_134934.jpg

Drive Safe Folks!!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 14th November 2013 at 11:52.
Mister_M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 12:07   #14424
BHPian

The stone block on the left side visible in the picture 9 and 10 had fallen from a toppled truck a year back, I was driving few vehicles behind when that accident happened. The side steel rails were completely smashed because it.

The truck was towed and the new side rails were built in next few days, no one claimed that stone block and it became a monument now .

This is a very dangerous curve, it is a sharp right turn in a descending slope.
First timers in this stretch will definitely have some surprises .

Last edited by BulZire : 14th November 2013 at 12:08.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 12:28   #14425
Senior - BHPian

Re: 5 Trucks Collided / Toppled; Thoppur Ghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I drove from Bangalore to Salem last Sunday and found a huge

Drive Safe Folks!!

There is an accident here almost everyday im sure. Im saying that because every time I pass this section, I have seen a truck smashed because of control loss. Most of them are overloaded ones.
I guess the drivers who are not familiar with this ghat section are the ones who end up crashing.
There are warning signs right from the toll booth before the ghats towards Salem.
I have seen a tugboat that was being carried on a trailer sitting on the road once and a picture of meter gauage locomotive on its side.

Thinking back, I remember almost loosing it on my Bullet on a wide curve here because of a monkey on the road!
I think the culprit is the wide road by which the driver does not realize he is gaining speed even though he is in low gear and on the brakes constantly.

I guess the driver and cleaner jump out when they know they are loosing control. This is the same spot I have seen all the crashes before too. Its towards the end of descend and by then there are no brakes left and probably engine brake is pointless.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 14th November 2013 at 12:34.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:53   #14426
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ This route while going towards Salem is dangerous even for cars if not slowed down. The road surface is bit uneven and it is a curvy ghat road. Though there are sufficient signage's, if you are not familiar with the road it is a recipe for disaster.
For cars and smaller vehicles there is sufficient time to slow down once they see the road winding down, for trucks especially fully loaded ones as above it will be tough to break.

Previously they used to put information on LED display near Thoppur toll booth about road condition ahead, not sure if that still exists.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 19:24   #14427
Distinguished - BHPian

I think sometime back, they removed all speed breakers in the ghat section (while going down) thinking that was leading to all the accidents. I don't think that would help. Everytime I passed thru this section, I managed to see an accident truck. I have NO idea how can this be made safer. May be another route with a lesser gradient / curves for trucks alone? Anybody who is into civil engineering / roads engineering ?

Edit:: To be very honest, this is NOT a place anyone can speed up as there is almost always heavy traffic and everybody slows down. But I thoroughly enjoy the drive thru here. Always feel bad for those heavy loaded trucks who usually struggle to go up this slope (towards Bangalore).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th November 2013 at 19:25.
Old 15th November 2013, 06:37   #14428
Senior - BHPian

I have crossed Thoppur many times and each times this section feels very different than other sections or ghats. The reason for multiple accident in this section, I feel is

1. Due to mountainous section the road to the downhill appears plane (illusion).
2. Driver do not get attentive and takes corrective measures before start of this section unlike other ghat sections.
3. Due to above the vehicle momentum picks up to the danger level and due to the slope the brakes become less effective controlling the vehicle.
4. Many of these drivers are unaware of such terrain and multiple S bends.

I also felt same thing once as I drive Tata Safari which is very heavy vehicle (2.2 ton + Passenger). At some bend, I felt my car is moving at higher speed than what I am thinking.

Last edited by anujmishra : 15th November 2013 at 06:39.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:38   #14429
BHPian

Some kind of major accident on Outer Ring road just after HSR layout near the army camp. On one side there was a tempo traveller banged up against a tree, and on the other side there was a overturned tempo traveller blocking the road. Sorry couldn't take pictures. Does anyone else have any more info on this?
Old 15th November 2013, 09:03   #14430
BHPian

The TT that has frontal damage (going towards Marathalli) has gone and hit a tree. Apparently one person got injured in this. The other TT accidentally got onto the divider as the driver was busy looking at the banged up TT on the other side. Both are separate incidents. Not sure if the overturned TT had any occupants. Both incidents happened at night.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks