Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:41   #14956
BHPian

Re: Crashed Honda City on NICE road, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I too saw this yesterday on the way back from the Teambhp meet. The part with not so much damaged was the rear boot and the tailamps . The car was a mangled piece of metal with the passenger cabin completely damaged. This seems to be a case of rear ending a truck and going beneath it.

I could not click pictures as I was driving alone.
Got some more details from an acquaintance who is also a traffic police officer for the area. It seems the crash involved the Honda and a Bike and a couple of other vehicles, probably trucks which left the scene. The biker did not make it till the hospital. No news of the Honda occupants.
Old 4th February 2014, 09:05   #14957
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Ten people died and 35 others were injured as a bus fell into a ditch on the Pune-Satara highway today.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/1...e-otherstories
Old 5th February 2014, 10:42   #14958
BHPian

Hi,

I saw this Skoda Rapid on the service lane of Noida-Greater Noida Express way. Not sure what happened or how many injured. From the first look I can assume that it overturned.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-6.jpg
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:45   #14959
BHPian

The one thing that I notice in most of the crashes captured is that almost none of the vehicles use the designated turning lane and just take a turn from the driving lane. If the vehicles move to the designated turn lane, it atleast gives the oncoming vehicles an indication and they may slow down

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th February 2014 at 12:58. Reason: Deleting quoted video
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:57   #14960
BHPian

Saw a red swift parked in front of Pratham Motors showroom (next to the gate) at Bellandur; the front left section of the swift was smashed. Did anyone have any info how it happened?
Old 5th February 2014, 12:15   #14961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Hi,

I saw this Skoda Rapid on the service lane of Noida-Greater Noida Express way. Not sure what happened or how many injured. From the first look I can assume that it overturned.
Doesn't seem to be the case. The pillars and glass area are intact. Seems to have hit something and then brushed against something or the other way round.
Old 5th February 2014, 12:25   #14962

The Skoda Rapid has not overturned but has taken a side swipe from a larger vehicle. Most likely the following scenario

-> To the left is the vehicle that the Skoda tries to overtake
-> To the right is another larger vehicle - maybe a truck or bus
-> Skoda tries to squeeze between the two vehicles
-> The vehicle to the left slowed of the Skoda stopped/ slowed down relative to the Skoda
-> Skoda cannot move to the right as there is another vehicle
-> Too late, Skoda hits the vehicle on the left, vehicle on the right does not notice that the Skoda has veered into its lane
-> Large vehicle to the right completely side swipes leaving tell tale scraping marks.

Looking at the impact point on the left side of the Skoda, looks like the vehicle to the left was either a smaller vehicle OR a truck with under-run protection bar installed.
Old 5th February 2014, 13:59   #14963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Doesn't seem to be the case. The pillars and glass area are intact. Seems to have hit something and then brushed against something or the other way round.
Yes, it seems to have brushed the road. Another vehicle, even if just brushed, that too along the whole length of car, would not cause abrasions as seen on this Rapid (Doors, Handles, Fenders, Roof line). It would have broken door handles, not abraded them. This Rapid definitely turned on to its driver's side on the road, and skid along. But something else would have been involved to cause other damage on the front.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:42   #14964
BHPian

Yup I agree too. Don't think this vehicle overturned....looks like scraped something pretty bad.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:50   #14965
BHPian

This happened near pudiyakavu temple at vaikom-thripunithura road, ernakulam, kerala.
It was a direct collision in the curve. None of them were seriously injured as front airbags popped out in both cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1391591740618.jpg  

AshwinThekkan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 15:45   #14966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Ten people died and 35 others were injured as a bus fell into a ditch on the Pune-Satara highway today.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/1...e-otherstories
Local police now have named officials of NHAI and the infrastructure company that has taken up six-laning of the Pune-Bangalore highway stretch as co-accused in the FIR for their alleged negligence in ensuring adequate road safety measures on that ill-famous S-bend which is 1.5 km after the exit of Khambataki tunnel in Pune direction. As per news reports, as many as 60 accidents have occurred on this bend in the past three years claiming several lives. Twenty-three accidents were recorded in 2011, over 20 in 2012 and 14 in 2013. More details in the link below.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/29871274.cms

After the tunnel, it is a fairly steep down-hill and curvy road for good two km where people don't realize the speeds they are doing and face trouble in emergency breaking situation.
mahesh_sn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 17:13   #14967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan
This happened near pudiyakavu temple at vaikom-thripunithura road, ernakulam, kerala. It was a direct collision in the curve. None of them were seriously injured as front airbags popped out in both cars.
Atleast front airbags should be made mandatory in any car sold in India (apart from enforcing the seat-belt rule strictly).

BTW, the accident seems to have left the European car in a worse state than the Jap. Goes to show how it is not just the build/metal that decides the outcome in an accident, but various other factors like impact-angle etc.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 19:37   #14968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Local police now have named officials of NHAI and the infrastructure company that has taken up six-laning of the Pune-Bangalore highway stretch as co-accused in the FIR for their alleged negligence in ensuring adequate road safety measures on that ill-famous S-bend which is 1.5 km after the exit of Khambataki tunnel in Pune direction.
I sort of like this. I too feel that NHAI and the contracting companies don't give much thought to safe design practices. For example, take a look at the video in this post - notwithstanding the terrible driving sense on display, the spot itself is so evidently an accident-prone one. A tight curve with a break in median and also a junction. This deadly combination should have been caught and corrected at the design phase itself.

The local civic administration and traffic police department also need to be made parties.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 23:37   #14969
Senior - BHPian

Saw this few minutes back on way back home - A airport taxi (Logan/Verito) rammed straight into Ashoka Pillar. Cops told me there was no one in the cab and the driver was drunk.

Anyone going thru Ashoka pillar be careful, ther were all kinds of fluids leaked out on the road - potential oil hazard.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140205_231415.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 12:33   #14970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I saw that video and every single accident is caused by a truck, a tata ace or a 2 wheeler that has not bothered to slow down or stop before crossing an intersection.
Never seen such crazy insane blind and callous drivers !. The truck drivers care a damn attitude for traffic rules and signals is totally absent. They drive and take turns like they are at the BIC. The cars it seems drive in a fashion that they are taxing for take off. About the two wheelers the lesser said the better. I am led to believe that they surely must be a liquor or arrack shop just down the road both way !These examples of accidents are the epitome of stupidity.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th February 2014 at 10:52. Reason: Fixing quote tag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks