Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 07:46   #16231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Disagree that flyovers should only have exits on the left. BUT in either case they need to be marked and road painting and bollards should be used much before the wall to indicate hard wall separator coming up.
Old 14th September 2014, 09:39   #16232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Disagree that flyovers should only have exits on the left.
Any specific reason for the disagreement ?

Well, the reason why i wanted it to be on left is because i have seen the confusions and inconveniences with the existing ones. Take for example the below case:
When the flyover descends and it touches the ground , in the wrong design, the people from below the flyover will join the road from right side. Many times, the slow moving vehicles like lorries, autos from below the flyover join from the righmost lane and within few meters they would try to take the exit which is on the left most lane. To achieve that they would change the lanes from rightmost lane to the left most lane and cause inconvenience to almost everyone. You will know about this if you travel to Manyata Tech Park (in Bangalore) from Hebbal side.

I have travelled on US freeways and on many indian highways. But everywhere i have observed that the entry or exit to any overbridge should never be from a lane which is close to the median but from a lane which is on the other extreme (which is generally called as 'slow vehicles lane').
n_naik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 09:54   #16233
BHPian

Clicked this yesterday morning on necklace road

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1410668687.589957.jpg
Old 14th September 2014, 10:00   #16234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Clicked this yesterday morning on necklace road

Attachment 1287374
I see Stunnerz in the background. Isn't that Minister's road?

Last edited by zenren : 14th September 2014 at 10:01.
Old 14th September 2014, 10:11   #16235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Well, the reason why i wanted it to be on left is because i have seen the confusions and inconveniences with the existing ones. Take for example the below case:
When the flyover descends and it touches the ground , in the wrong design, the people from below the flyover will join the road from right side.
On the descending (merging) side, it is very easy to see the reason - the arrangement is such that those who don't have the right of way at the point of merging merge in such a way to have the best view of the point of merging.

It is not so clear-cut at points where lanes diverge. Your logic stands to reason - that deviating from the main carriageway is a manoeuvre that should not require one to get onto the passing lane.

Though it is almost a certainty that such considerations never enter the design process of flyovers and interchanges in Bangalore, at least.
Old 14th September 2014, 10:12   #16236
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I see Stunnerz in the background. Isn't that Minister's road?

Correct, my bad. I started through minister road and joined onto necklace road. It was exactly near the KIMS hospital.
Old 14th September 2014, 15:23   #16237
Distinguished - BHPian

Generally, flyovers will be taking the not-stopping traffic, whereas other traffic will be stopping at whatever junction the flyover is flying over. Therefore the flyover will be carrying supposedly faster traffic, and access from right hand lane makes sense.

But even as I type I can think of obvious objections: what, for instance, if the flyover is curving to the left, to make a left turn. Then it is intuitive to take the left lane. Really, there are all kinds of possibilities, but sensible design and sensible marking and painting, along with clear signage, makes all the difference between easy and safe, and crazy and potentially dangerous.

I'm all for making authorites liable for implementing dangerous and stupid road systems, but, in the end, if there is something in the middle of the road it is still down to the driver to avoid it. This particularly applies to so-called-professional drivers, and especially those driving public-transport vehicles.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 16:26   #16238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It is disgusting to note that these so called engineers do not use their common sense while designing flyovers and we the public have to pay the price for their foolish acts.
Yes, the work is in-complete - no reflectors, no lane markings. But the flyover is designed as per requirements. I see no problem with engineering design. The problem is with requirements.
Quote:
In all of them , the motorists will have to be at the rightmost lane if they want to avoid this flyover, which is actually wrong and against the basic rules of road design .
That is in-correct. As per grand design requirements 10 years ago, motorists have to in the leftmost lane to avoid flyover. The right-most lane is bus-bay lane and is reserved for buses only. It is different issue as to why other traffic is allowed there. After the flyovers were built with dedicated bus-bay lanes, the concept of bus-bays went over the roof. While flyovers have bus-bays, rest of the ORR doesn't. Hence the confusion. There is no work-around, Bangalore has to live with this infrastructure mistake.
Old 14th September 2014, 16:28   #16239
BHPian

I saw these smashed Ecosports lying at service center's yard. They are almost new, hardly 5-6 months old.
I felt bad looking at them. Such a beauty rigged to heap of metal.

EcoSport has very well taken the impact and absolutely zero cabin intrusion. You can see for black Ecosport front as well as side airbags got deployed.

While white Ecosport is badly thrashed, it seems it doesn't have airbags. The roof windshield, roof are sliced
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090026.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090039.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090115.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090118.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090132.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090328.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090349.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090412.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140913_090421.jpg  

StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:09   #16240
Senior - BHPian

The black Ecosport seems to have been involved in a straight-forward frontal collision. If the passengers were all belted up, one can be pretty sure they would all have walked out with minor injuries at best.

The white one, though, is scary ! I think it has rolled over very badly. At high speed. Survivable? I doubt it. Someone driving the (pseudo) SUV like a hot hatch maybe?
Old 14th September 2014, 17:33   #16241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
While white Ecosport is badly thrashed, it seems it doesn't have airbags. The roof windshield, roof are sliced
The white EcoSport has the OEM alloy wheels and leather seats, indicating it is a top-of-the-line Titanium+ trim, that comes with 6 airbags. Its indeed surprising that none of the airbags have deployed.

While the sides of the white EcoSport are grievously damaged, the front is quite unscathed (the white one has a horizontal member beneath the headlights intact, unlike the black one, compare pictures 5 & 6). This might explain why the front airbags didn't deploy.

As I recall, the triggers for the side airbags behind the rocker panels. On that basis, given the amount of side damage, its odd they didn't deploy. Unless the occupants weren't belted up and this suppressed the airbags?
Old 14th September 2014, 20:56   #16242
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know who approved the flyover designs of all those flyovers between marathalli and silk board which were constructed in 2011. In all of them , the motorists will have to be at the rightmost lane if they want to avoid this flyover, which is actually wrong and against the basic rules of road design . They have to be at the left most lane if they want to avoid the flyovers and go below it. This causes immense confusion and such severe accidents. I have drawn two pics to indicate this.
True, when I visited Bangalore few months ago. I facepalmed seeing this "innovative design". Waste of space, money and needless to say utterly against untold laws of road design. I was lol-ing seeing the chaos of 8 lane covergence under the flyover!
Old 14th September 2014, 21:53   #16243
BHPian

One horrific accident happened in Kerala, couple of weeks ago. The accident took away life of a pedestrian and got other two seriously injured, what i have heard from unreliable source is that driver and his friends were under the influence of narcotics . However, driver got away scot free by playing the right cards and greasing the palms of the officials.

Last edited by carheadbanger : 14th September 2014 at 21:54.
carheadbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 22:17   #16244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carheadbanger View Post
One horrific accident happened in Kerala, couple of weeks ago. The accident took away life of a pedestrian and got other two seriously injured, what i have heard from unreliable source is that driver and his friends were under the influence of narcotics . However, driver got away scot free by playing the right cards and greasing the palms of the officials.
I had heard about something similar that involved drunken driving of some youngsters in a Fortuner which met with such an accident in Kannur. Heard that the guys were pretty influential and got away without much legal hassles but they were dealt with very badly by local guys and was in bad shape before cops arrived.
Old 14th September 2014, 22:28   #16245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I had heard about something similar that involved drunken driving of some youngsters in a Fortuner which met with such an accident in Kannur. Heard that the guys were pretty influential and got away without much legal hassles but they were dealt with very badly by local guys and was in bad shape before cops arrived.
Yes, this is the same case.
carheadbanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks