Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 14:42   #21991
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

What a bunch of idiots . Dudes on a scooter (with no helmets BTW) ride straight in front of a bus!

If I didn't have a 'cage' around me for protection, I'd sure as hell be more cautious than when I'm in a car.

Link to Mid-Day Video
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 14:47   #21992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What a bunch of idiots . Dudes on a scooter (with no helmets BTW) ride straight in front of a bus!

If I didn't have a 'cage' around me for protection, I'd sure as hell be more cautious than when I'm in a car.

Link to Mid-Day Video
Shudder.

I had that happen to me just a few hours back - absolutely lucky that an Amaze has a rather shorter braking distance than a bus does.

Even if they are sideways on to me and if I'd hit them, my guess is that as the driver of the larger vehicle, I'd end up being blamed.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:17   #21993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
3 innocent college students lose their lives for no mistake of theirs :(
Has happened in the heart of Chennai city yesterday.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/c.../1/786409.html
Very sad news to hear - 3 lives lost for no fault of theirs. RIP the deceased.

Seems the driver lost control of the vehicle due to brake failure and rammed an autorickshaw first, then hit 3 motorcycles and finally ran over the college students and came to a halt. There was also some eyewitnesses saying that the driver was in inebriated state.

Looks like the vehicle was a Tata 407/709 which was modified illegally and converted as a Water Tanker, which might also have been one of the reason for the brake failure.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:26   #21994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Shudder.

I had that happen to me just a few hours back - absolutely lucky that an Amaze has a rather shorter braking distance than a bus does.

Even if they are sideways on to me and if I'd hit them, my guess is that as the driver of the larger vehicle, I'd end up being blamed.
+1, it seems the day of moronic bikers zipping across traffic (what day isn't really?).

I had a helmet-less moron (on the phone, no less) zip across my office cab earlier today, my alert driver thankfully braked hard and we were both belted up so suffered nothing more than a seat-belt jerk, but the idiot went away oblivious to the peril.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:34   #21995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And this is the news article's heading, "Speeding BEST bus rams into Activa in Mumbai"

That's a mile away from the truth.
kiku007 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:12   #21996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
And this is the news article's heading, "Speeding BEST bus rams into Activa in Mumbai"

The headline is just following the basic rules of the Indian media's reporting of accidents.
  • Rule 1 - The bigger vehicle is always at fault.
  • Rule 2 - If a car/bus/truck hits a cyclist/biker/pedestrian, it must always be assumed that the bigger vehicle was speeding.
  • Rule 3 - Ignore the events leading up to the accident/crash. (i.e. - root cause)
  • Rule 4 - Do not analyse which party was/was not following the rules of the road.
Very rarely have a I read any report that mentions if a driver was buckled up, if a rider was wearing a helmet, or if the pedestrian ran out onto the road into traffic. One can see how pathetic the quality of reporting is in this country, when compared to the more detailed and analytical reports published of any incident/accident abroad.

(Sorry for going off-topic)

Last edited by fordfreak : 14th October 2016 at 16:15.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:25   #21997
BHPian

Quote:

Link to Mid-Day Video
Either they were drunk or committed suicide. There is no other explanation for what happened above. I do feel sorry for the BEST bus driver, there is nothing he could do but now he has blood on his hands!
Old 14th October 2016, 16:48   #21998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
The headline is just following the basic rules of the Indian media's reporting of accidents.

Very rarely have a I read any report that mentions if a driver was buckled up, if a rider was wearing a helmet, or if the pedestrian ran out onto the road into traffic. One can see how pathetic the quality of reporting is in this country, when compared to the more detailed and analytical reports published of any incident/accident abroad.

(Sorry for going off-topic)
It thus proves the utmost utility of a good dash cam in your ride.

Last edited by nkghai : 14th October 2016 at 17:00.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 17:02   #21999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Either they were drunk or committed suicide. There is no other explanation for what happened above.
Apparently some morons on our roads follow this "your life and my life, your vehicle and my vehicle - all your responsibility"

Last edited by airbus : 14th October 2016 at 17:04.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 17:12   #22000
BHPian

Quote:

That's classic media lies for you. There are some salient features of media lies. They can go upto any lenghts to sensationalise any incident for their gain. Some of them are:

1)Report truthfully but convey only half the truth. Thats worse than lies. Here it should have read something like; "Bus rams into speeding scooter driven right into its path by moronic seemingly suicidal riders at high speed." Now just notice how they took out chunks out of the sentence and and sensatioanlised it on the spot. And the truth be damned. We're reporters, not God, right?

2) Twist your sentences use grammar to 'change the language' until it suits your needs without technically being wrong. Keeping the trajectory of the scooter in mind, that is crosssing the road, it was certainly speeding. So speeding scooter wrongly rushing into the path of a bus becomes speeding bus rams a scooter. Just change the sentence and be cool dude. Soon you'll have your own news channel.

The antics go on and on. Consume the news at your own risk.

Sometimes I think that just the way its mandatory for cigarette packs to have the " Injurious to Health" sign on every pack, all forms of news media should also be made to state in bold letters below that "Believe at your own risk. The channel is not responsible for your perception." Or something similar.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 21:54   #22001
BHPian

Though not from India but the incident is worth sharing as a reminder that stupid drivers is a global phenomenon!

autobahnjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 23:36   #22002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to make it seem like I'm insensitive, but its is admirable that 2 blind boys even attempted to ride a two-wheeler in the first place.. takes strength. Not blind? See that's not convincing me at all then because :

1) The bus coming from a mile away, to a reasonably experienced road user its as easy as that. I'd have caught that as the FIRST thing when planning to exit a road horizontally.. always clear the right and left fields before moving one inch is the usual saying.

2) No helmets, blind is one thing but no helmets? Their thinking was more short-sighted than anything else.

3) Not a sign of braking.. not a sign. Even the blind seek out noises. This was almost an outright suicide attempt. Either that or the rider was a first timer and a total greenhorn.

4) Did I say just exactly how long the "riders" had to figure out that a behemoth was rolling down their seemingly unstoppable path? ZERO road instincts.

I've noticed this in Bangalore more and more these days (holiday week) when the roads are semi-free > the bikers simply go nuts with the lane changing, illegal turns, illegal u-turns and almost maniacal-suidical-homicidal-brazen way of riding against one-ways and head-on into vehicles. I decided to keep the car at home today and take a tension-free Uber to work and even then the driver made a sudden stop with a heavy jerk to accommodate another jerk.. on a bike. The 2nd time I let out a gasp and almost wanted to go "eeek" like a girl when I saw an Innova jump into our lane from across the horizontal median and almost collided with the car. Both the drivers were at fault here.. I could've seen that Innova coming way before the Uber driver even realised his path was going to be blocked.

Last edited by dark.knight : 14th October 2016 at 23:38.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 23:55   #22003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
2) No helmets, blind is one thing but no helmets?
There's nothing worth protecting up there. Which explains the rest of their behaviour.
arunphilip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 00:44   #22004
BHPian

Quote:

Yikes. Pure 100% death wish. The other two boys are lucky to be alive. One moment of Highly stupid and lunatic behaviour, what a grief to whole lot of people!

Poor bus driver - He'll have to face a lot of legal and other flak just because of these jokers.

As a side note, I doubt even wearing helmets would have made any difference to the guy who died

Quote:

You've just about summed it up! The media does not care about the truth (most of the times). They just want sensational news which will increase their TRP. If they don't get it, they will twist and mould the news item to make it as sensational as possible!

Last edited by haria : 15th October 2016 at 00:47.
Old 15th October 2016, 01:09   #22005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Though not from India but the incident is worth sharing as a reminder that stupid drivers is a global phenomenon!
This is America, I think? So the BMW driver is overtaking blind, on the wrong side. He thinks there is going to be road there; he can't see that there isn't.

In this instance, the results are really hilarious, although I don't suppose the driver thinks so. But if there had been road there, he still had no vision: could have collided with another vehicle or even a pedestrian. Not a funny way to drive at all.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks