Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 11:04   #781
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post

In case of serious injury to third party. Escape from the location. Go to a police station nearby or where you have some influence and then give a statement to the police. Do not expect sane voices from a mob ever.
Interesting and Thought provoking.

I was of a completely different opinion on this till I read the MVA section 134, which states below; So, the law is with us to do, what you have said, in case of anticipating a mob fury.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_5649.jpeg  

NomadSK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 11:51   #782
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Interesting and Thought provoking.

I was of a completely different opinion on this till I read the MVA section 134, which states below; So, the law is with us to do, what you have said, in case of anticipating a mob fury.
It is sad, but in India, it is also highly possible that even if you stop upon seeing an accident (caused by someone else or a hit and run) and when you try to help the injured person, he can very casually lay the blame on you as having been the perpetrator of the accident. This is why I would say that a dash camera is an absolute must have accessory now in every car.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 14:24   #783
Senior - BHPian

Had a road rage incident today.

While driving to work, one first generation i10 was driving slow, so I had to overtake. This was before one lane where due to long CNG queue and parking on other side, a 4 lane road becomes barely 2 lane. At times, due to vehicles coming out of CNG stations (there are two CNG stations side by side), the road becomes single lane.

This i10 guy somehow had some ego issues or something, so he started driving rashly when we joined main road ahead. Then tried to cut me off, angered, I slammed my throttle and he was behind me. That one moment of anguish lead to me moving ahead of the lane I had to turn into towards my office.

As I had accelerated hard, that i10 was 3-4 car lengths behind me, I switched on left side indicator, drove my front wheels onto walkway, took reverse and went into my lane. That i10 by the time went ahead and repeated the same thing, following. As soon as I entered into the building compound where I work, he took a right turn and was no where to be seen.

Lesson : In anger, we are often mislead, that one moment, I should have slowed down and let him go as in any case I had to turn left.
Lots of ego flaring up everywhere. Better to remain calm, drive on towards our destination than to floor the throttle.

Such incident happened to me after a while but again will refrain from any flare up. Just drive calmly to where I am headed.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th July 2023 at 14:27.
aaggoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 10:09   #784
BHPian

Yesterday while driving back home from office, I faced a minor road-rage incident, luckily for me, it didn't escalate.

While I was joining the road leading to Hebbal junction, a TUV driver overtook me and stopped ahead of me. Then stopped his car right ahead and came down to ask me to roll down windows. I didn't roll down, just tried reversing and planned to go via left side. But not sure what prompted him to ignore and get on with his trip.

Before joining here, I was all the way on the right lane behind a Blue Creta, right from Manyata Flyover, so there was no chance of me cutting him off or blocking his way as I saw he was coming from left most lane. Not sure if he thought I was someone else and realised different person and went his way.

Dashcam video:
DetectiveMiles is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 10:21   #785
Senior - BHPian

I don’t think he thought you were someone else. If so, he might have gestured and gone back. He continued to stay halted on the road after doing whatever he did to you.

I’m guessing, he must have been behind the BMTC bus and you had to get into the left lane. Doing so, you might have pushed him further left, away from his lane, prompting him to do what he did.

That aside, he’s a total idiot to have stopped like that and continuing to halt there even after staring you and getting back into his car.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 10:41   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I don’t think he thought you were someone else. If so, he might have gestured and gone back. He continued to stay halted on the road after doing whatever he did to you.

I’m guessing, he must have been behind the BMTC bus and you had to get into the left lane. Doing so, you might have pushed him further left, away from his lane, prompting him to do what he did.
Actually, he was not behind BMTC bus, the bus was in left lane pushed an auto to right lane and came to middle lane . Behind the auto, there was an Alto.
Here is the video of one minute before. Haven't downloaded prior to that. It is possible, he was behind that Alto.

Old 26th July 2023, 10:56   #787
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post

While I was joining the road leading to Hebbal junction, a TUV driver overtook me and stopped ahead of me. Then stopped his car right ahead and came down to ask me to roll down windows. I didn't roll down, just tried ..
Looks like TUV driver expected you to 'yeild' to him before you joined the road. Dont know who had the right of way - you or him. But, the guy in TUV is no ARMY man (car sticker). He is yet another IT fellow. His IT tag is a big give away.

He reminds me of 'Baahar aaa ' guy. Search for it in road rage videos. Full comedy.

He was expecting confrontation from you. But since you reversed, it diffused the situation I suppose.
HTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 10:58   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, he was not behind BMTC bus, the bus was in left lane pushed an auto to right lane and came to middle lane . Behind the auto, there was an Alto.
Here is the video of one minute before. Haven't downloaded prior to that. It is possible, he was behind that Alto.
I am familiar with the confusion at this spot because of vehicles on the left wanting to take the up ramp and the ones on the right lane planning to go beside it.
My guess is, he wanted to take the up ramp and he couldn't or missed it since he was on the left and your car blocking his path. He probably stopped you in that frustration.

Best to keep to the lanes much before this spot depending on which side you are going.
tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 13:29   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My guess is, he wanted to take the up ramp and he couldn't or missed it since he was on the left and your car blocking his path. He probably stopped you in that frustration.
This is most likely what happened and explains why he continued to stay halted there - was possibly checking for alternative routes. This particular section is difficult because the road doesn’t continue ahead and someone missing the ramp has to go a long winded route to get back.

Also he might very well be an army or an ex-army guy. Many officers on SSB retire and join corporates. I personally know a few who have done so!

I don’t know the circumstances that led OP to cut across and not take the ramp, but if you’re on that lane the expectation is you’d take the ramp.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 26th July 2023 at 13:33.
krishnakumar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 15:14   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a TUV driver overtook me and stopped ahead of me. Then stopped his car right ahead and came down to ask me to roll down windows.
He is obviously an Army personnel. perhaps RAW agent. He must have been given a few details about someone he had to rub off for national security.

Your car must have matched the description so he stopped you to assassinate you, but looking at your face, he realised that you were not the target. He politely asked you to down the window so he could reconfirm.

As he is walking away, you can make the bulge at his waistband.

Thank your lucky stars that he was one of the good guys.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 18:13   #791
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Driving my Gypsy near St Johns Hospital today. The lights changed to amber while I was still a distance away perhaps 50
Metres so I slowed down and halted at the stop line because by then they had changed to red.
I was in what passes for the middle lane because I wanted to go straight and my Gypsy is a narrow vehicle. On my left were some 2 wheelers.
An Audi Q5/Q7 ish thing came from behind flashing his lights and honking as the lights turned amber. And despite them turning red he was still at speed. I think he wanted to run the red light, as many rascals do in Bangalore as per my observation.
But he could not squeeze his wide Audi between my Gypsy and the divider and thus squealed to a halt and banged my bumper.
I got out to inspect the damage and that driver also got out. There was no damage beyond a small scratch on the bumper which anyway doesnt matter. Its a gypsy after all. Fellow looked like a driver so I asked him if he could not see the red light and my car. He mumbled something but wasn’t aggressive or anything probably because my gypsy is green (plus I am a big built person and can easily come across as intimidating) I took a photo of the fellow and told him that the rule was to stop at red lights. I got back into my car. Just then the traffic cop came along. He also saw my green gypsy and asked what happened. I told him the fellow behind was driving so as to best the light and that he banged my bumper while braking. Traffic cop took a photo of the Audi and that driver and asked me to proceed. So I thanked him and went off.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_3881.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 14:32   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Best to keep to the lanes much before this spot depending on which side you are going.
If he missed the ramp, it wouldn't be because of me, as he had well exceeded the turn he had to take. Many people take to the ramp from service road, but turn little early and block everyone.
I normally take to the middle lane as I approach the area, but since there were vehicles behind I didn't cut them off suddenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Looks like TUV driver expected you to 'yeild' to him before you joined the road.
He was expecting confrontation from you. But since you reversed, it diffused the situation I suppose.
Actually, I had yeilded to BMTC before him and yeiled to him too. That's why I was surprised when he suddenly stopped right in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Thank your lucky stars that he was one of the good guys.
Indeed!
Old 7th August 2023, 08:15   #793
Distinguished - BHPian

This is something you dont see everyday especially in Kerala. Looks like both cars had youths who were drunk and the Ritz youths initially assaulted other guys. Then these guys managed to stop the Ritz and attacked the car. Looks like Karma working here but sad scenes.

Source - YouTube
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 11:18   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is something you dont see everyday especially in Kerala. Looks like both cars had youths who were drunk and the Ritz youths initially assaulted other guys. Then these guys managed to stop the Ritz and attacked the car. Looks like Karma working here but sad scenes.
Surprising indeed. Especially when it follows a similar incident in Kozhikode where a doctor got thrashed because he honked at someone blocking the lane or something!

Maybe it's the heat that's getting onto people. Throw in alcohol and what not to the mix, it just begets chaos like this. Sad state of affairs all around.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 09:08   #795
BHPian

I saw a pretty violent road rage incident right now while descending the flyover in Sarjapur in front of the Decathlon going towards Sarjapur Junction. I was on my interceptor when a motorcyclist on a Mojo overtook me. In my rear view mirror I could see he was cutting through traffic rather quickly.

There was a red Amaze ahead of me and the Mojo rider tried to overtake it from the left (happens a lot) and was trying to squeeze between the car and the railing of the flyover. There was space when he initiated the overtake but for some reason, the Amaze blocked it and almost ran the rider into the railing. This all happened at a low speed though. As soon as we reached the base of the flyover, the rider wanted to have words with the driver and he knocked on the window, visibly angry. The driver ignored him.

This is where things got ugly. The rider hit the left side rear view mirror of the car and pushed it forward and in the opposite direction. The car driver had a knee jerk angry reaction and he accelerated his car into the rider and his bike who were stationary at that point scratching his own bumper as well as the bike. Sadly there was an elderly gentleman on an Activa on the left side of the bike and the bike hit him as well.

No idea what happened then since I did not stop but it seems people were starting to collect around these 2.

I have a car as well and I prefer to ride my motorcycle most of the times, so I know the risks of riding and accept them. I feel the overtake from the motorcyclist was wrong and the driver did not seem to have blocked him intentionally. One can tell by observing when someone is being a dick and this wasn't the case. However, it was shocking to see how the driver just drove into the bike and knocked the rider over. Been in Bangalore over an year now and this is the first time I saw such aggression. Usually people are in a hurry and once in a while you will see the odd exchange happen but this looked pretty barbaric.
Vikram8891 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks