Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2023, 12:30   #811
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

I would respectfully disagree. The Car has almost completed the U-turn and the Motorcycle tries to squeeze into the gap in between the parked Rickshaw and the Car. Also Motorcycles/Scooters in Pune are in a perennial hurry and try to squeeze into non-existent gaps and create a difficult position for the bigger vehicles. The Motorcycle should have practiced defensive driving and let the Car through as it was blocking an entire lane during the U-turn.
adi.mariner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 13:18   #812
Senior - BHPian

To my eyes, the fault squarely is with the bike guy. The car is almost done with the U turn, when suddenly, the bike charges in. It’s almost as if the bike thought he can get away with that manoeuvre but unfortunately he didn’t succeed.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 13:57   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
The Car has almost completed the U-turn
Almost is almost. And the poster is doing that u-turn across the oncoming biker.

It's foolish of the biker to go for that gap. If he had to zip past, it should have been on the right. It's his right of way; his road. But it isn't always sensible to take one's right of way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 14:43   #814

Re: Road Rage in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I really fail to understand this "me First" syndrome which has affected people driving all segments of cars, be it an Alto or a high end Fortuner. Everybody wants to be the first to move even before the signal turns red.

My heartfelt sympathies with the software guy. The guy was at the receiving end and even lost consciousness when he was being bashed. The law breakers were able to get bail within no time is another apathy prevailing in our judicial system where the law of jungle prevails. More than often the person who gets an upper hand in an argument wins even if he is wrong.

Its time that the RTO authorities cancel the driving licence of the accused and ban them from driving on the Indian roads for the next 20+ years.
I have noticed especially at signals all two Wheelers and rickshaw driver by default move against the red lights. And if for some reason you are waiting for the signal to change be prepared for the worst. Have experienced harrowing times especially in Mumbai and Nashik not to mention almost all parts of India. I have made several suggestions to the road authorities to give the management of signal camera to private agencies and it will ensure that all drivers including my self follow traffic rules. The reason for private players came as the authorities seems the costs are out of budgets
Old 20th August 2023, 17:43   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
This is a clear case of Right of Way. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but you are in the wrong here. The biker is on the road and he has the right of way. "couda wouda shouda" whatever the argument, you should have let the biker pass. I was expecting the biker to make a bigger fuss, good thing that he didnt.
Not sure if I am wrong. But such road will always be busy , can't wait it to be empty and then take U turn.
When I decided to proceed that tempo and biker were in parallel and distance was enough for them to notice me and go slow. Tempo did, so not rammed Into. But biker wanted to take risk and be smart and ignored that auto,passenger and truck parked on his way. And when I took turn autos was very near at my left side,never thought someone can come in this gap so did not notice that biker at my left.he came all of sudden.
But still big vehicles are always culprits in any incident.may be you can suggest what better could have been done here.
hrishi_dypim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 12:57   #816
BHPian

How to deal with road age incident? Bengaluru police commissioner answers.

He also warned that stern action will be taken along with opening a rowdy sheet on the accused.

The Bengaluru police said that there will be zero tolerance against the increasing road rage incidents in the city. He also warned that stern action will be taken along with opening a rowdy sheet on the accused.

In a conversation with the X users of Bengaluru, the city police commissioner B Dayananda said that they are keeping track of hooligans who are involved in such activities. A user named Navneet asked, “Road rage incidents are increasing day by day in beloved city. Anyone gets panicked and traumatized when such incidences happen. What are your suggestions for citizen in such cases? What should we keep in mind when the incident in occurring?”

In a response to his tweet, the police commissioner said, “Dear Navneet. Incidents of road rage are being dealt with very sternly. Wherever such incidents are reported, police have detected the cases and apprehended the culprits. Besides, rowdy sheets are being opened in concerned police stations on such hooligans so as to keep track of them. There is ZERO TOLERANCE for road rage incidents in Bengaluru City.”

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-screenshot-20230821-125541.jpg

He further appealed to people to call 112 in any emergency situations. “I appeal to citizens to dial #Namma112 in case they are caught up in such a situation. Be rest assured, we are just a call away,” added the top cop.

Recently in Whitefield’s Siddapura, two miscreants were seen stopping the car in the middle of the road and creating a ruckus. In a video that went viral, two people on a bike chased the car and tried assaulting the driver. Bengaluru police later arrested the two accused.

Source - https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...597981226.html
swoosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:28   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
Not sure if I am wrong. But such road will always be busy , can't wait it to be empty and then take U turn.
I completely empathise with you hrishi_dypim. I too have faced my share of impatient bikers risking life and limb to save that 300 milli seconds of their time. I was only pointing out that he has the right of way here. I know waiting for an empty road is not possible, but from the video, the biker didn't seem to show any signs of slowing down. Perhaps you could have waiting for him to cross. Also after hitting you, he narrowly misses a pedestrian. If he had knocked him down, you'd have to deal with both those injuries. Again, hindsight is 20/20.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:30   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
I had an incidence at somatne phata on old pune mumbai highway.while i was taking a U turn, a biker coming from extreme left tried to pass through space between car and parked auto. He rammed into the door.

https://Youtu.be/MVfragncKSI
I would rate you as the culprit here, you took a turn on a busy straight highway/road with so many vehicles oncoming and blinking lights at you. The biker had right of the way, whether his brakes were working or not, whether he had a helmet or not, whether he gave any indication or hand signal or not. You were supposed to wait on your end of the Left Lane till you had enough gap to safely take this turn. I would have waited instead of darting in, if I was in your place.

Glad to see all the involved parties safe and with minor injuries in person and to their vehicles. Drive safe!
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:59   #819
BHPian

Came across this incident of a woman driving over security guards in a society in Greater Noida. Further, the woman and her daughter seem to have the gall to argue with everyone and display absolute shamelessness and brazen defiance.

Old 24th August 2023, 15:12   #820

My 2 paisa. De-escalation does not begin when there is an incident. You need to be in that mode when cranking the engine to life. Being proactive. That is the key.

See, if you are not in the "On" at the time of the event then the external factors decide what your reaction will be. It might be a calm and or it might be something else, no one knows. Maybe there's a profane word that you subconciously repluse from that gets mouthed by the other party, maybe its the smell of alchohol on the other guy or maybe even slogan on the other guy's shirt. If you turn "on" at the time of the event, you are at its mercy.

Daniel Kahnemen's "Thinking fast and slow" is an excellent book that throws light on this. Not on road rage but the various deeply embedded biases that trigger varied responses in one. Apply that to road rage context and you will find that anyone is susceptible. The solution then? When you crank the engine, you crank up the 'de-escalaltion mode" and flip that defensive button too while you are at it.

The only solution I have found in the 18 years I have been driving.
vijaitech@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 22:02   #821
BHPian

Bengaluru scientist chased by goons. ‘Very serious incident,’ says top cop

In another road rage incident in Bengaluru, a scientist was chased and attacked by a group of goons in Rautanahalliarea. The miscreants allegedly damaged his car and later chased him with swords in their hands, claimed the scientist.

On Sunday, Ashutosh Singh, a scientist at Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences took to social media platform X and wrote, “A narrow escape from local goons on Aug 24, 12:45 AM at Rauthanahalli Main road. They tried stopping my car, chased me with swords, shattering back glass. Traumatized by the delayed police response. Seeking justice, lodging FIR at Madanayakanahalli PS today. Urgent action is needed.” Karnataka’s additional director general of police (traffic and safety) Alok Kumar called it a ‘serious incident’ and told that he directed the officials to take a stern against the accused. He wrote, “It’s a very serious incident. Have directed the concerned to take stringent action.”

https://twitter.com/ashuvishen?ref_s...1%2Fframe.html

source - https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...90297-amp.html
Old 31st August 2023, 10:14   #822
BHPian

Another incident of road rage

Quote:
Yesterday during going to ISRO office, Near to newly constructed HAL underpass, a person on scooty (KA03KM8826) without helmet was driving recklessly and coming in front of our car suddenly and so We had to apply sudden brake.
He came to our car started fighting. He kick(ed) my car two times and flew.
News: https://www.news18.com/viral/bengalu...o-8557820.html
Tweet : https://twitter.com/lambashish/statu...24805633052740
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 22:29   #823
BHPian

I had an experience today. I was standing on the side of a market lane. A Maruti Dzire turned in and started honking continuously. When I turned to look over it was a middle aged man yelling at me in Hindi, telling me to move my car (mind you a defender could pass through this space). When I politely told him there is way more than enough space, his tone increased even more. Eventually I had to request him to please go but he wouldn’t stop yelling. Eventually when I looked away, the car zoomed off. The wife sitting behind even showed me the finger.
Very shocking, but in the end I thanked my stars that they didn’t damage my sedan. Things could’ve gone wrong very fast.
This also made me wonder what should we do if we’re not at fault and people want to fight for no reason?
Old 16th September 2023, 23:12   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
what should we do if we’re not at fault and people want to fight for no reason?
Start recording their antics.

Happened to me some months back. This rider on a bike wanted to overtake. When I gave him space he did not and chose to confront. He was even generous with expletives, inspite of having his toddler son on the pillion.

I promptly clicked a picture of him and was about to record when the signal turned green and he retracted and started trailing me at a safe distance.

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-20230916_225718.jpg
Capri89 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 23:22   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Start recording their antics.

Happened to me some months back. This rider on a bike wanted to overtake. When I gave him space he did not and chose to confront. He was even generous with expletives, inspite of having his toddler son on the pillion.

I promptly clicked a picture of him and was about to record when the signal turned green and he retracted and started trailing me at a safe distance.

Attachment 2504377
Thank you for the prompt advice, sir.
This did strike my mind at some point during the incident. Unfortunately, his car was slightly pointed towards my side mirror and I thought this would provoke him to the extent of ramming into my car. (His car was in a pretty bad shape)

At this point we need a dedicated police number for such incidents

Last edited by Auto spawn : 16th September 2023 at 23:24. Reason: Grammatical error rectified

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks