Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 18:09   #886
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

It is with great self-restraint & consternation at the same time, that one can drive a car in our cities nowadays :-(

2wheelers have perfected the art of riding:
a) fully blocking traffic from behind them, while going at whatever speed that suits them
b) most of the times juggling a mobile phone in one hand, helmet in the elbow of other
c) if not (b) then talking on mobile, head tilted at 45° sideways

One can do nothing other than to put up with their tantrums.

If by mistake I honk, try to wiggle in thru whatever available space thereby ever-so-lightly brushing against his RVM, flash my headlights or intimidate the goon by any means --> my RVM/window-glass/front or back glass is at the mercy of a hit by his helmet

I myself am a 2wheeler rider, but never inconvenience other road-users with such antics so when I am behind such a rider, I'm at my wit's end.

Since running over the human waste isn't an option, I tolerate :-X

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 23rd May 2024 at 18:10.
KrisTvpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 09:49   #887
BHPian

I am sure you had your reasons to do what you did but I think it was very unwise. This tendency of correcting others or forcing them to do so, is a khap mentality - Do what I think is right, else I will ensure you are taught a lesson. There are authorities and process by which it needs to be done. Maybe he had some reason to behave like this like some kind of emergency, may be not. But we are NOT the correcting authority to take things in our hand and then stoop down to their level and spoil our behavior and conduct. In a way, you also broke the law by deliberately stopping on empty stretch of road causing inconvenience to others. The satisfaction is nothing but an ego boost and it is very important to curb your ego on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
After a few seconds, he realizes his honking is fruitless, so he calms down a bit, getting ready to get out of his car and come to you to pick a fight. That's when you drive away.

It was so satisfying!
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=XlAPDGlEBn8
autobahnjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 10:35   #888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It was so satisfying!
We all at one point or another have wanted to teach such bad drivers a lesson. But 100% of those times, it's useless. They just won't learn.

We only end up in losing our cool and adding up unwanted stress.

Bad drivers are like muddy pigs, no use in wrestling with them. If we see one, it's wise to stay away until it goes away.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:29   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you. And you want to retaliate. But you don't want to get into a fight. So what do you do? You slow him down, even stop him, but exchange no heated words. All he can do is honk at you. After a few seconds, he realizes his honking is fruitless, so he calms down a bit, getting ready to get out of his car and come to you to pick a fight. That's when you drive away.
[/url]
What you did appeals to the psyche of my frustrated self too, you did what my heart wanted to do but do listen to the mind and the unintended consequences which can arise. We unfortunately wield no (official) power to stop an errant driver, punish him or make him mend his ways. For the same reason the erring driver might never accept the mistake nor take the punishment meted out lying down.

For one's own well being and safety (I say this with an air of resignation over poor enforcement of rules) it is best to make peace with bad driving and unsafe environment around us, avoiding them rather than confront.

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 24th May 2024 at 11:41.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:32   #890

These are maniacs and this kind of act will only add fuel to their anger.
Suggestion would be upload/send the video to traffic police and to engage directly.
Rash driving can turn to road rage anytime..
URWELCOME is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 12:27   #891
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was so satisfying!
⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠This is not a correct way saab.

Thankfully, he appears to be a gentle person, but this can sometimes escalate into a conflict. ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠I have seen certain people quickly getting out of a car and hitting the driver in front when blocked. ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠A more optimal approach would be to allow him to go past us.

Last edited by RGK : 24th May 2024 at 12:29.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 13:54   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you. And you want to retaliate. But you don't want to get into a fight. So what do you do? You slow him down, even stop him, but exchange no heated words. All he can do is honk at you. After a few seconds, he realizes his honking is fruitless, so he calms down a bit, getting ready to get out of his car and come to you to pick a fight. That's when you drive away.

It was so satisfying!
I think this behaviour has become rampant now, especially with electric cabbies. The instant torque/acceleration is addictive and they have been driving really really rashly. I've had quite a few encounters like this myself. I would also advise to send the video to bluesmart for action against the driver and try to report rash driving numbers to Delhi Traffic Police twitter, if you give them the direction they are headed in they are usually caught.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 14:44   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes, a dangerous driver irks you.
We see madmen out to irritate us every time we are on the road. But the wisest option is to just ignore them and let them go. The situation can turn very bad very quickly, and even if you are 100% correct, there is no time to explain yourself. I know it is easy to preach, but it is always safer for us (and for our dear ones) to just let it go, especially on our roads.
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 16:13   #894
BHPian

Quote:
You forgot to tag a father letting his 5-year-old kid ride a bicycle on a busy junction.

It is equally dangerous when some people take their small kids out on their strollers/bicycles on busy roads. If something goes wrong, the car/bike owner will be blamed.
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-screenshot-20240524-161456.png

Last edited by dicor : 24th May 2024 at 16:15.
dicor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 00:04   #895
BHPian

Since 1 month, I have ditched my office vehicle in favour of Delhi Metro, to save around 30 minutes in commute. I find it perfectly fine standing for entire 50 minutes of travel, however, it irks me when time comes to get down from the metro. Despite all the posters asking commuters to let other deboard first, only 10% actually follows it. Idiots block the entire door and leave no space for those getting down from the metro. I get this strong urge to push them to ground, but better sense prevails and I have avoided doing it in last 1 month.
This illness is seen at Sikanderpur as well as Central Secretariat. Crowd at Sikanderpur can be generalised as those going to cyber hub and other nearby corporate offices, and crowd at CS are mostly Central govt employees. But, they all show this same illness to not allow people to get down first.
saubi2299 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 19:32   #896

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

https://x.com/DpHegde/status/1794237443119681581

Shall we call This an accident or a dog fight like the fighter jets do. In middle of public road see how these bunch of people fight with their cars. Rama Rama!!!
Gennex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 08:15   #897
BHPian

Here is an incident from Kerala. A Thar driver decided to teach a Kerala RTC driver a lesson for crossing the continuous white line. Although many commented in support of the Thar drivier, I feel what he did was uncalled for. The Kerala RTC bus was not speeding but calmly trying to overtake a car, leaving ample space for the Thar on the left side to pass.

The sheer arrogance of the Thar driver to block a public transport bus in this specific situation seems unnecessary.
praveesh4u is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 08:24   #898
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveesh4u View Post

The sheer arrogance of the Thar driver to block a public transport bus in this specific situation seems unnecessary.
This is wrong at so many levels. I think the line is not continuous either.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 09:43   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennex View Post
https://x.com/DpHegde/status/1794237443119681581

Shall we call This an accident or a dog fight like the fighter jets do. In middle of public road see how these bunch of people fight with their cars. Rama Rama!!!
Just scared to set out of home these days 😂
Even apart from extreme events like this, just the rage filled public spaces is simply too scary.
Sk8r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 12:00   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennex View Post

Sir, this is a deadly gang war that happened on the streets of Coastal Karnataka City, Udupi. It's reported that there was some financial dispute between them and hence the street fight. One person was injured, 2 have been arrested and 4 are absconding.

This is not an accident. One gang called the other gang for the meeting and the video shows what ensued. The video was taken by a resident of a high-rise apartment in the vicinity. The news is in many coastal Karnataka newspapers.
ashkamath is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks