Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2022, 22:39   #631
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

I had a very weird road situation.
Just wish I had my action camera switched on when this happened since its quite unbelievable on its own.

On my way to office, I had a couple of errands that took me via the Tolichowki area. There was traffic but it was moving along at a decent pace.

All of a sudden, a Baleno banged into my motorcycle crash guard.

Luckily I did not fall from the impact and the bike is fine. The Baleno bumper had made contact with the right hand side corner of my crash guard.

There is a lady inside who is extremely angry with me.

I am absolutely certain that given the angle of contact there is no way I could be at fault.

But the young lady insists, I am at fault and is also a little abusive.

This is feeling ridiculous and funny.

I have a hunch that she was becoming extremely defensive and that is triggering the fight response.

For some reason she decides that I am going to make a run for it and parks her car in front of my bike.

So there I am, a 40 something biker wearing armour and hard knuckle gloves and this petite lady wants a fight.

I have a mental image of my almost teen daughter throwing a tantrum while shouting her favourite phrase "You don't understand".

Since she is getting hardly any outburst from me, she has run out of things to say.

I told her that I need to get myself some tea. Tell her that I will give her a head start of 5 mins so that we are not on the same road at the same time.
She sarcastically offered to pay me money for my tea.
This was ridiculously funny.

Anyways she is gone and I get back on my bike after 4-5 minutes. Now I find her waiting for me at the next signal.

I get to her car window and now she is extremely apologetic.

I suggested that she get her car a nice dashcam and keep pepper spray.

Not many guys on bikes are middle-aged fathers used to tantrums from children. Some can and will use such a situation to nasty outcomes.

We wished each other a good day and left from there.
bblost is offline   (298) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:15   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Write to his superior, media and tweet Law minister along with lodging a complaint in PMO grievance web portal. This high handedness shall cost someone else tomorrow. If he has not taken your ID then please proceed. He should apologize for this rude behavior.
I have never had such an experience before. I usually say sorry for even others mistake just to avoid argument and save my mind for the day. I realised that day common man doesnt has any powers. Those in power know very well how to extract money from us. If you dont have any influencial links (like I dont have) then you have to bear their pressure and be a scapegoat. I kept shivering for atleast 3,4 hours after the incident and cannot come over it even now. But giving my 5000 hard earned money saved me from the cobweb of court and police . I would anyday like to avoid them as they are well mastered and have strong links which could further pressurise my family.
After the incident, I felt that the phrase "The power of common man" is only true in theory and those in power take full advantage of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
When did this happen, if the injuries are still fresh get an MLC done in a government hospital and file a an official complaint against him to respective DCP, call PCR and file the complaint there also and also tweet on all the police media handles along with his photo and share your incident how he thrashed and extorted Rs.5000 after demanding Rs.30,000.
====
Our delay in action results in such officers go unpunished.
Manoj Kumar is in police uniform and blue jacket.
His companion is in black shirt.
Their car registration number is HR26DU4638
Car had all tinted glass and vahan app shows Puc expired more than 1.5 years ago. I feel that these rules are only for us and not for those in power.
Attached Thumbnails
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-screenshot_20221118135030_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 6th December 2022 at 14:06. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Lovecars is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:22   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Just wish I had my action camera switched on when this happened since its quite unbelievable on its own.

Applause to you, sir! The way you handled the situation shows what a great father you are to your daughter! Patience and remaining silent in situations like this could have better results than to pick a fight unnecessarily regardless of who's at fault!

At times, younger generation is mostly spoilt with the kind of exposure they're subjected to of late - be it in terms of money reach, quality of education and our great list of gadgets that get them whatever they want at the swipe of the screen.
gururajrv is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:45   #634
BHPian

Quote:
I have a hunch that she was becoming extremely defensive and that is triggering the fight response.
~
That was the best response to the situation and one that very few would take. I used to be very combative when I was in my early 20s. Over the years I have mellowed. Especially having worked as a teacher for a decade (plus), I have come to understand what responses young people have to most situations and my own erstwhile indiscretions are still fresh in mind when I deal with them. No one can say with total sincerity that they never had a moment of irrational rage or anger when at a formative time of their life. We just need to remember.

Of course, when faced with people of a comparative age to myself, I find that frank, unabusive confrontation works better.
Pennant1970 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 10:00   #635
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
So there I am, a 40 something biker wearing armour and hard knuckle gloves and this petite lady wants a fight.
Worry not because she doesn't need to lift a finger to send you to hospital. It is the common man/white knight mob that will do it for her. Such is this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecars View Post
I felt that the phrase "The power of common man" is only true in theory and those in power take full advantage of that.
I feel that these rules are only for us and not for those in power.
What you have said is very true. Next time, carry a can of pepper spray and then run to the nearest police station. Make this fake cop famous on twitter (or what's left of it).
If he goes unpunished, he will only get the courage to do it again and again till he either kills someone or gets himself killed by a more competent goon.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 7th December 2022 at 10:04.
vredesbyrd is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 10:37   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That's unbelievably weird and funny. You handled it really well.

Sometimes I step out on to the road with a disturbed mind (due to something that might have happened earlier in the day) and that mood manifests on the road. Probably the lady had a bad day too.

PS: I don't hit bikers. I might curse a few erring ones but they don't get to hear it behind my rolled up windows.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:13   #637
BHPian

@bblost, all I can say is that you are wise man and acted accordingly. Probably, she did not wanted to take the blame and being a female, people would taken her side.

Plus there is this pre-conceived notion that bikers drive rash. Dash cams are a must these days, you never know what kind of a stupid driver you might come across. We have seen so many instance across Social media and on TeamBHP itself.
swunkjyn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:17   #638
BHPian

Quote:

I suggested that she get her car a nice dashcam and keep pepper spray.

Good that she didnt already have the pepper spray

I used to get into quarrels with morons on the road. Now a days I smile and say things that they would say, like "did I stop suddenly ?". Always I have found that it takes one person among the two to be cool, smiling and make their point. It defuses the situation. Only thing is I have never tried them pay for the damage that they cause. I take the insurance route and curse the situation and move on.
PreludeSH is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:35   #639
BHPian

A funny observation by my colleague (from NL)
A few years back, I had taken him to Lepakshi (he is a history buff) in my Cruze. While I was driving, he had observed that I drive aggressively. I just nodded (thought he is comparing with driving in EU or US) and we moved on to other topics.
A couple of weeks back, I took him to Belur and Halebeedu in my X4. He asked me why I had sobered down. I told him, well, may be cos of my aging, more traffic, road conditions etc and, at last, if something happens to the car, its too expensive to fix. A moment later, with a straight face, he made a statement - ' I guess this time Kiran, ego goes through the pocket'
This time too I nodded (with a palm face)
kiran_aithal is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:33   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really appreciate the way you handled the situation.

Please do share on how the public was managed. The last I know, is that in most such cases they would go any distance to impress a young lady.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:08   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Worry not because she doesn't need to lift a finger to send you to hospital. It is the common man/white knight mob that will do it for her. Such is this world.
Really appreciate how you handled the situation, I can totally feel how much patient I have been since becoming a father and there needs to be a lot happening to get a reaction out of me these days

But this reminds me of a very similar situation happened to me with the vehicles reversed. A lady was on a scooter and cut me off on Eastern Express Highway around 10pm while returning from the office. Luckily she made a tiny contact to my right fender and I was able to brake in time so she did not fall. Naturally we both pulled to the side and she came to walk to me after calming down. By that time crowd had started gathering and some young fellows on two wheelers have started banging their helmets on my car. I had a blacked out Duster which made the matters a bit worse. People were ready to serve the justice to me if the lady had not apologised for her mistake. The lady walked down, said sorry and then only people backed off. I often replay that part in my mind and imagine if she had blamed me how it would have been.
turbowhistle is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:10   #642
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone for all your kind words.

I was quite the hot headed idiot when much younger. But as cliched as it sounds, age does change us a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Please do share on how the public was managed. The last I know, is that in most such cases they would go any distance to impress a young lady.
The angles of our vehicles must have played a huge part in this.

My bike was in the same direction as the traffic while her car was at an awkward angle.

Also the fact that I was being extremely polite but firm and she was very loud and brash.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:12   #643
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
I often replay that part in my mind and imagine if she had blamed me how it would have been.
Glad you made it out in one piece.
Well, plenty of people here already have guns through illegal means. Might as well have our own second amendment and get "heated".
Old 7th December 2022, 17:14   #644
BHPian

Re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecars View Post
Hi
This happened with me on 18Nov,2022 at Kashmere Gate,Delhi. I was parking my car (SX4) and it accidently touched a Celerio's bumper standing there. A police representative Mr. Manoj Kumar came out of the car furiously and started beating me and hurling abusive words about me and my parents. He dragged me out of my car. I said I am sorry and I will get his car bumper repaired but he was so furious that he continuously abused me. I repeatedly said sorry. Meanwhile his companion threatened me that he can do anything to me instantly and he has his profile picture with <some political leader name>. I got scared by this. I repeatedly said sorry but he was not ready to listen anything and kept "harassing" me. My father also tried to calm him over phone and said sorry but he was being very rude and did not pay heed. He asked Rs.30000 for this but after repeated requests from everyone , he agreed for Rs.5000.
It is a humble question from fellow members
-Is this bullying and harassing just because he is a policeman justified?
- I paid him Rs.5000 from my hard earned money which is a huge amount for the damage caused. Was it necessary to pay him?(I think insurance covers this)
- I am mentally depressed by the incident.
- Is there anyone who listens to a common man?
He is abusing his position as a policeman. You can write to the PMO grievance portal. However, because the police are now meant to serve political interests and not citizens, there is a risk that hoodlums might bother you or your family because the PMO complaint portal takes in all your details.

Honestly the police in other countries behave better with criminals than what those in India do with law abiding citizens.

Don’t be depressed- think of it as a terrorist who attacked you. We cannot defend against such acts because they are committed by people who do not identify with basic human values.
Nissan1180 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 18:23   #645
BHPian

Kudos to you sir. You handled the situation extremely well.

At early 30's I'm still learning to keep calm on road but still go mad the moment someone does wrong on road.
But as someone pointed on thid forum that my job is not to correct others but to reach from point A to point B.

I guess your write up is a lesson for all of us.
FalconRed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks