Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 17:18   #571
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
His two minutes of fame - Misogyny alert

N.B. He was paying a driver to take him around but thinks he is qualified to comment on my driving.
Well, there are no dearth of misogynists out there and I am really sorry that you had to face one. Plus like you mentioned this person in all likelihood does not know how to drive and here he is commenting about your driving - irony just died a thousand deaths. In my opinion there was no need for you to mask his face - we need to name and shame such entitled chauvinists.

Don't let this get to you - that would be a victory for this kind of person who gets his kicks from putting women down. Glad that you're ok and see you in our next meet. Keep driving (and offroading!)
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 06:51   #572
BHPian

Greetings,
I apologize on behalf of the entire Men who think ONLY they can or they should.
You proved yet again that women are strong by being patient and calm.
Wish every man has this virtue, then the world would be a much better place.
The E in Ego comes 2nd in the letter mEn and much later in womEn.
Guess that the reason of his rage.
My wife is a working lady and she faces this type of scenarios time and again.
Kudos to her and you.
Salute.
matchvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 07:12   #573
BHPian

Since you have installed a Dash-Cam, can you possibly put up the video recording of the incident for us to understand the sequence of events better ?

I agree, many people don't have road manners & there are plenty crude people out there with the resources for a car. But to label someone as a Misogynist requires one to have regularly observed said individual having a biased attitude against women in-general.

Since I don't believe it prudent to declare someone as a victim without due diligence, I don't believe requesting for Dash-Cam recording is any form of victim shaming / blaming.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 07:49   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Since you have installed a Dash-Cam, can you possibly put up the video recording of the incident for us to understand the sequence of events better ?
+1 to this. And it wouldn't be a privacy concern I'd believe but that's your call.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 09:41   #575
Senior - BHPian

Bully for you! My wife & I both got our licences in 1988 as proud owners of a Maruti Omni. And I have no hesitation in admitting that my wife is a better driver than me. Period. She knows the road rules by heart, knows road signs like the back of her hand, is cautious, prudent and instantly allows honkers to overtake. She has never put a scratch on the cars. I have had several shunts on the highway, including a major one (that I have mentioned with photos somewhere in these pages) and still have the itch to overtake now & then.

So you are quite right to draw the conclusion you have - a vast majority of men suffer from male chauvinism of one kind or another. This can even take the form of chivalry and - dare I say it? - gallantry. But as many others have pointed out in this thread, have that dashcam always ready. It can prove to be the best equalizer in case push comes to shove.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 15:40   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My friend came in. This man went on ranting away at him too (the picture is of him yelling at my friend. His ask was simple "She has to admit that she cannot drive!"

At that point I would have just got back in my car and chilled with the music turned up till he was tired of looking like an idiot shouting at my windscreen. I learnt that some people are best ignored till they realise they are just making a fool out of themselves and leave. If they try being aggressive and touching the car etc, I would have started recording them with phone held up prominently. That seems to bring some sense back into them.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 16:20   #577
BHPian

Driving in India as a woman is a pain, and rather dangerous might I add. Dangerous not because you lack the skills, but because the men on the road have inflated egos that they have to satiate at each and every turn.

My mother is the primary driver of her Crysta. In fact, the car is in her name. Driving in Chennai is fine, everybody has more or less accustomed to the fact that driving isn't affected by your gender (where the notion came from, I would never know). But the same can't be said for inner TN.

We regularly go to Erode and Rasipuram and drive around there. Male drivers in the region can't stand to be overtaken by a woman. They'd go out of their ways to honk and catch up and drive extremely rashly to overtake my mother again to prove some point known only to them. This extends to bus drivers as well, but mainly car and commercial vehicle drivers.

There's also a general disdain for a woman wearing sunglasses. How and why that irks people, I'll never know. It is such a weird and minor thing to be disturbed by, but they make it known any instance they can.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 18:53   #578

Quote:

Happened to me a couple of days back. I entered a really narrow lane in one of the suburbs of Kolkata, to pick up a friend. Before I entered there was a WagonR who had flashed its dipper asking for "right of way". And at the outset, I admit the Right of Way was his. But since I was blocking the main road, so, I thought I might as well enter the lane and allow traffic to pass and then if needed can appropriately negotiate my way forward or backward to allow the WagonR to pass.
Which car were you driving at the time of this incident?

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th March 2022 at 19:32.
Old 8th March 2022, 09:12   #579
BHPian

Actor Kunal Khemu faces Road Rage:
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-screenshot_20220308091038.png
Link: https://https://www.cartoq.com/actor...-incident/amp/
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 15:38   #580
BHPian

Bizarre to read about the misogyny. Happened last week to the wife too. We are in the process of shifting - it's hectic work. The Mrs. was driving her Baleno with me in the passenger seat and the truck with our cartons was following us.

This guy driving an i20 (he too was with his family) pulled out from a no parking spot, driving on the opposite side of the road and his bumper / fender hit the back seat door of the Baleno.

He went into a rage and demanded money, shouting and howling at my wife. Then his wife came who was a bit more polite and said she will call the cops.

I myself had a fever and gastro in the midst of a move so just recorded his car and its position - I couldn't summon the energy to shout. My wife told me to go with the cartons and the truck to the new place and "I will handle this guy". Haha, that statement ticked him off more.

His father or father in law then came and asked me to pay him. I asked him to pay since it's his fault. They finally left. Honestly, it seemed he was more pissed because it was a woman driver and he was the one at fault.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 16:49   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking of misogyny, I too have observed that our society largely despises women when they drive. What our people don't understand is that women perceive distances and speed differently than men do and hence they tend to drive distinctly from the rest of the traffic. Other than that, there's nothing to say that female drivers are worse than their male counterparts. If anything they're safer than male drivers and the insurance industry's statistics is proof of this.

I have successfully enabled my wife to drive a car in today's misogynistic society and I take pride in it. The possibility of her having to face roadrage from other road users does worry me; she has lashed out verbally at one male harasser in the past.

Interestingly, Saint Thiruvalluvar's saying comes to mind - "penne pennukku ethiri". To put it in English - "the worst enemy of a woman is another woman", or something like that. I've seen women on 2 wheelers hounding and harassing women who drive 4 wheelers; you haven't seen proper roadrage until you've seen a woman-on-woman fight.
Old 9th March 2022, 14:28   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Off topic...
Am sure the owner of this car has received a lot of hate in the recent times. It is quite easy to obtain the phone number of the person who owns the car. Then mischief follows.

Having a dashcam is immensely useful and I feel, should be made mandatory for all cars.
NovemberKing_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 16:27   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberKing_91 View Post
Off topic...
Am sure the owner of this car has received a lot of hate in the recent times. It is quite easy to obtain the phone number of the person who owns the car. Then mischief follows.

Having a dashcam is immensely useful and I feel, should be made mandatory for all cars.
I don't think getting phone number is easy from the registration number. If it would have been this way, people could have been harassed for wrong parking or something.
Old 9th March 2022, 17:33   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
I don't think getting phone number is easy from the registration number. If it would have been this way, people could have been harassed for wrong parking or something.
Honestly speaking, it takes about 10 minutes, if you know what to look for. A little google search, along with the Vahan and Parivahan websites, generally yields the phone number, chassis number, engine number, insurance details, registration details...other than address, almost everything else! It's a double edged sword, I would say!
Old 9th March 2022, 18:23   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
Ahem. The Truecaller app lets you search random folks' phone numbers; you basically fish them out by name. (I am berating myself right now for sharing this unethical method).

Also - the parivahan site used to display un-masked vehicle owner information (address and phone details) 3 years ago. These days, there is partial masking of owner information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks