Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 00:03   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

So this happened just one and a half hour back. I was driving on the WEH and was merging into traffic near the airport but somehow ended up getting stuck behind a slow moving truck and another one coming behind it. This was the lane left to the fast lane (right lane), I gave my right indicator to move into the fast lane and overtake the truck. First 30-40 seconds cars were going pretty close, fast and I wasn’t able to move into the fast lane. By now the truck behind me was flashing his headlights a bit too aggressively and I checked my right outside rear-view mirror for the nth time to see if anyone was coming and when didn’t see anyone started moving into the fast lane but as soon as I reached midway between the two lanes I see a White Superb come up really fast behind me, and I must have cut him off sharply (my right indicator was on the entire time). I then moved back into the left lane ahead of the truck. The Superb came a bit aggressively from the left and honked next to my car and gestured ‘what are you doing.’ I had realised I had cut him off and just gestured with my hand ‘I am sorry,’ it cooled him down and he was off on his way.

Left me a bit shaken and I can’t forget about it now, but thankfully that guy understood and cooled down. Important lesson for me! Keeping calm and saying sorry is the key.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th March 2021 at 00:04.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 01:30   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Keeping calm and saying sorry is the key.
Man, I totally agree with this statement.

It's better to apologize and move on. People somehow forget who they are and behave like maniacs for a few minutes over small things like getting cut off in traffic. Just like on the internet.
Alterlife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:30   #438
Senior - BHPian

This video on social media shows a biker rear ending a car that has slowed / stopped on the left lane of the road. A fist fight ensues and the car driver is bullied.
The cammer should have included at least 10 seconds of video prior to what was shared to add real context as to why the car stopped and whether he did not use indicators for a turn.
Tha cammer himself is riding off the road.

What are your comments on the errors made and how the fist fight could have been prevented?
Old 16th March 2021, 09:17   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This video on social media shows a biker rear ending a car that has slowed / stopped...

What are your comments on the errors made and how the fist fight could have been prevented?
Why do I feel that it’s a staged video. Trying to educate people on when and where to stop. I somehow can’t get to believe this was an actual real life incident.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 09:58   #440
BHPian

Scene: the outer Ring road, Bangalore, on the stretch from Agara to Sarjapur road junction. Time: about 6.30 pm, the usual slow heavy traffic. The road width is already reduced because of the so called "bus lane". For a change other than busses other vehicles are using the remaining 2 lanes.

Me and wifey are in our car, with me driving in the right-most lane . To my left is a 2 wheeler going parallel to me, following a car in front of him. Suddenly I am aware of an impatient Swift driver honking behind the 2 wheeler. We are travelling at about 30kmph and the 2 wheeler and I are parallel to each other for a good 500m or so. There is no way the Swift can move past either of us.

The Swift serves to his right, quite close to me and behind me and his honking seems more aggressive to me- or is it my imagination? There is no road to my right, only the divider, yet the honking doesn't stop. It seems like an eternity, but finally we reach the stretch where the road broadens, just before the Sarjapur- Ring road junction. As I move to the right at last, the honking stops and my wife tells me that the driver is showing his middle finger at us!

My blood boils with anger. What have I done to deserve this rude gesture, that too directed at my wife as well?
In my long years of driving ( I'm 65 +) I've always prided myself in my decent driving habits. I controlled my anger and carried on. Whats wrong with people?! Couldn't the guy see that there was no way I could make way for him? At times I wonder if I should give up my passion for driving ( I've been driving since I was 18) and retire from the road as well!
Sridhar C E is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:02   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Why do I feel that it’s a staged video. Trying to educate people on when and where to stop. I somehow can’t get to believe this was an actual real life incident.
There have been a few staged videos being shared around with follow ups. The reason I feel this is not staged is that most staged videos show near misses and not actual accidents where damage has occurred. Generally staged videos avoid physical altercation.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:18   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This video on social media shows a biker rear ending a car that has slowed / stopped on the left lane of the road. A fist fight ensues and the car driver is bullied.
The cammer should have included at least 10 seconds of video prior to what was shared to add real context as to why the car stopped and whether he did not use indicators for a turn.
Tha cammer himself is riding off the road.
https://Youtu.be/GA_R9vTp6P0

The guy recording should have included footage of atleast 10 seconds prior so that we could know why did the ertiga driver stop.
My guess: he caught the glance of the Pollution Check Centre late and wanted to stop in a hurry. However, it is the right of the car driver to stop - in case an animal had darted in front of him, wouldn't he stop? The biker is at fault to be following so close to the ertiga that he couldn't brake in time.
Sure, if the ertiga driver had stopped abruptly without any emergency it is wrong but the main fault is of the biker.
Candy$Cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:43   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
The biker is at fault to be following so close to the ertiga that he couldn't brake in time.
Sure, if the ertiga driver had stopped abruptly without any emergency it is wrong but the main fault is of the biker.
Absolutely, it is solely the trailing vehicle driver's responsibility to stop in time and to maintain a safe distance. Why the vehicle in front stopped is immaterial.

The biker had enough space to pass through the right but then he is showing all signs of an underdeveloped brain.
--gKrish-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 11:43   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar C E View Post
My blood boils with anger. What have I done to deserve this rude gesture, that too directed at my wife as well?
In my long years of driving ( I'm 65 +) I've always prided myself in my decent driving habits. I controlled my anger and carried on. Whats wrong with people?! Couldn't the guy see that there was no way I could make way for him? At times I wonder if I should give up my passion for driving ( I've been driving since I was 18) and retire from the road as well!
No Mr. Sridhar. Stop driving will not stop these morons from demonstrating their inner instincts - good or bad.

There was once a man who was rushing through traffic like a maniac, on a bike, with his school going daughter in uniform behind. Maybe late for school. No helmet, no safety - nothing. I was in my Safari, and trying to crawl through and he had struggled to get past me, and while he did get past me to my left and to the pavement to his left, he did the middle finger to me and he took the upcoming free left turn to the school. I was in no hurry that day, so, I manage to take the left too and catch him near that very reputed school. I park the car, and walk up to him. I realize he must be around 40's. I very politely asked him if he really meant what he did or was it a momentary lapse? And how would his daughter feel about him ( she must be in class 6 or 7 I thought ). He really didn't know what to answer, said a sorry and extended his hands.

So, for me, it didn't matter that day. And no, I haven't stopped driving. I went through the same emotions and rage that day thinking why on earth did I deserve that gesture. But, it took me a few seconds to calm down and let go.
jkrishnakj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:44   #445
BHPian

A few weeks back while on a bicycle ride, I was passing a densely crowded stretch. Riding left of the leftmost lane, there was no space to pedal. All the two wheelers, including me, that were using that narrow corridor, needed to put their leg down every 5 seconds or so due to the congestion.

In all of this there is a scooter with 2 people on it that is honking continuously. At first I ignored it thinking he was navigating his way through like all of us. Then I realized it was now right behind me and saying something to the tune of "Go fast". Having to yet again put my foot down because of the traffic, I turned back to see who it was and asked him politely in Hindi "Do you see space ahead that I can go? Why are you honking for no reason" To this he started swearing using all kinds of expletives. In the meantime the traffic started flowing and he rode off quickly.

Each time I have an incident like this I promise myself my next buy will be a camera. I want one that can double up fitting my bicycle helmet as well as have the ability to be used in the car. I have come to the realization that this is one accessory that is an absolute necessity. I am yet to zero down on what I should get as I don't know what would suit such a unique need.

Last edited by NevGin : 16th March 2021 at 13:46.
Old 16th March 2021, 14:52   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
A few weeks back while on a bicycle ride, I was passing a densely crowded stretch. Riding left of the leftmost lane, there was no space to pedal. All the two wheelers, including me, that were using that narrow corridor, needed to put their leg down every 5 seconds or so due to the congestion.

In all of this there is a scooter with 2 people on it that is honking continuously. At first I ignored it thinking he was navigating his way through like all of us. Then I realized it was now right behind me and saying something to the tune of "Go fast". Having to yet again put my foot down because of the traffic, I turned back to see who it was and asked him politely in Hindi "Do you see space ahead that I can go? Why are you honking for no reason" To this he started swearing using all kinds of expletives. In the meantime the traffic started flowing and he rode off quickly.

Each time I have an incident like this I promise myself my next buy will be a camera. I want one that can double up fitting my bicycle helmet as well as have the ability to be used in the car. I have come to the realization that this is one accessory that is an absolute necessity. I am yet to zero down on what I should get as I don't know what would suit such a unique need.

GoPro/SJCam will suit both the needs. Although you need to plan well for positioning it in the car by trying different locations for placing its mount.
Old 16th March 2021, 15:00   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Scene: the outer Ring road, Bangalore, on the stretch from Agara to Sarjapur road junction. Time: about 6.30 pm, the usual slow heavy traffic. The road width is already reduced because of the so called "bus lane". For a change other than busses other vehicles are using the remaining 2 lanes.

Me and wifey are in our car, with me driving in the right-most lane . To my left is a 2 wheeler going parallel to me, following a car in front of him. Suddenly I am aware of an impatient Swift driver honking behind the 2 wheeler. We are travelling at about 30kmph and the 2 wheeler and I are parallel to each other for a good 500m or so. There is no way the Swift can move past either of us.

The Swift serves to his right, quite close to me and behind me and his honking seems more aggressive to me- or is it my imagination? There is no road to my right, only the divider, yet the honking doesn't stop. It seems like an eternity, but finally we reach the stretch where the road broadens, just before the Sarjapur- Ring road junction. As I move to the right at last, the honking stops and my wife tells me that the driver is showing his middle finger at us!

My unsolicited advice to you is that you should pass it off as a one off incident and don't react on honkers just because they are in a superficial hurry.

Unless it is a real serious or life threatening situation, brush it off as part of road scenes in India because it will happen with every other driver on road.

I have learnt to keep pride at home while taking out the car.
amods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:01   #448
BHPian

Having driven and ridden across many cities north to south to east of this country, barring few impulsive reactions, I have learnt to let such people pass. Whether it is an auto rickshaw trying to meddle into the traffic, or a butch SUV honking and flashing lights for an overtake. I just let them pass, because I have grown to believe that I should not spoil my mood and composure for a mindless fellow trying to show off his skills. And more so, haven't seen that person reach the destination eons before me anyways. For 15 mins of rage, why to spoil your journey.
You may call me timid, may be I don't know how to fight, but I am content with being late or slow in relativity. It is unfortunate but I have got to believe that mobs and law enforcement in this country can take unprecedented turn if allowed to go out of hand. For other occasions, I have my dashcam.
If by overtaking me, I satiate the ego of an ill mannered brat driving his dads car or a wannabe 'mantri' showing his power, I give a darn.
justwheels is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:14   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As I move to the right at last, the honking stops and my wife tells me that the driver is showing his middle finger at us!

In situations like these (I have encountered a few), I just give off a flying kiss to the guy

Unfortunately not always do I get reciprocated in kind but it always shuts them up (while still being angry I guess).

Just move on. Life's too interesting to be pissed off on such small things.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 17:21   #450
BHPian

DOUBLE MURDER AFTER SCOOTY BRUSHES BIKE

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delh...ndtv_topscroll

No comments.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks