Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 13:32   #406
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

This is my take on road rage, been at the wheels for more than 20 years and see several instances of instigation due to others arrogance, I personally feel it’s wiser to stay safe and avoid any sort of altercation, we can’t even imagine how people retaliate. if situation turning physical, seek help or quickly drive to nearest police post or police station, same is the view from our member.

My personal view

However, if someone hurling abuses on our dear ones at the wheel, no matter what, at-least we should show some retaliation with the intention to prove who’s wrong and also give a sense of secured feel to our soul mate, but certainly not to satisfy our ego nor to prove a point. My wife has done this for me when someone rear ended on us even though there was enough gap and time, when the other party started abusing and point fingers, she is one who got off first to prove it other way.

The above statement is debatable considering safety of our family members on board, once again safety takes precedence against any thing based on the situation, and there is NO two way about it especially with family. Drive safe cheers vino
glovins2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 20:23   #407
BHPian

I thought I would share something which happened to me sometime back. I was conflicted about whether to put it here or the accident thread and considering it was a near miss and mostly road rage I'll pen it here.

So one day after office I'm returning home on my activa and to each my home I have to cross a junction on the national highway. That junction also had a flyover. So I'm on the service road and the service road merges with the NH just at the foot of the flyover and I have to take a right u turn under the flyover at the junction with traffic lights to get to my destination. So as usual, I put my right blinker on check for traffic and slowly move to the right lane near to the flyover wall. I had noticed a purple Crysta coming from behind and I'm in the middle of the rightmost lane with some car to my left. I'm doing around 35-40 because the signal is in about 200mtrs ahead. Now the Crysta is right on my tail and honking furiously. I ignore because I have to turn right and I'm in my lane with my blinkers on and the signal is right there in front of me and it's red. Now in a split second this genius pulls up on my left surges past me gets in front and slams his brakes I frantically pull on both my brakes and the CBS on my activa makes it fishtail but thankfully I don't fall down or hit the car. Then in an instant he accelerated and sped off. I just got about a glimpse of the driver and he was a very young chap maybe a teenager or at max in his early twenties. The car was an 2.8z variant registered in KL 08. By the time he reached the signal it had turned green and he continued onwards and I though a little shaken continued home. I was thinking about something to tell to him if he was stuck at the signal about the harm it would have caused me by his reckless driving but now I think it was better the lights turned and I didn't meet him. It's never advisable to reason with an idiot. So now a days my strategy is such that if you are desperate to cutoff or overtake me then go ahead I'm in no hurry, and let them go.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th July 2020 at 07:14. Reason: Typos
BLACNWYTE is online now   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th August 2020, 16:23   #408
BHPian

Youtuber Fort9 has made this nice video on Road Rage aimed specifically at bikers. This is especially applicable to the YouTube motovloggers who confront people in traffic under the pretext of correcting them - all this to get views and likes on their videos.

Added_flavor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 06:13   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Take a look at this video

Wonder what's so satisfying in making a mockery of the rules!

https://twitter.com/akshitnanda5/sta...76304554881024

The tweet
Quote:
Drinking openly on roads and ready to fight in DELHI. I was with my wife and this is their behaviour.
Paschim Vihar,Delhi 02/09/2020 11:15pm
@CPDelhi please take appropriate action
#DelhiPolice #DelhiPoliceFans #ArvindKejriwal #republic #ANI #ZeeNewsEnglish #BBCBreaking #CPDelhi
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 09:24   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Wonder what's so satisfying in making a mockery of the rules!

I have seen people openly drinking inside cars in many parts of NCR and bordering regions of Haryana. It is best to not confront these people unless you are getting attacked. Even then running away is the best option.

Always remember that restaurants which serve liquor in the NCR region have a "No Guns" sign, so you know what such folks are capable of. Better to be safe than shot.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 10:13   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Car-o-bar is a way of life In Delhi ncr. Illegal, distasteful, but present. However, someone who doesn't give a damn about drinking in public is hardly going to be bothered about getting into fisticuffs with anyone who even looks at them for too long. I wonder what made this gent confront them.
These type of people are to be avoided, especially if they have some stickers on their car.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 19:35   #412
Team-BHP Support

Had a issue while driving back home.

Was with family and it started raining. All of a sudden an auto banged into the left hand side. He came out of no where. I have dashcam footage of a free road in front and then impact happens near rear door.

I told my wife to ignore it as its raining and we dont need to worry about it.

But the auto guy thinks this is a weakness.
So he cuts in front and tries to make me stop. I am not doing it.
So I gave him space and overtake and go forward. He chases. I lower my window and tell him to go as its ok, no problem.

He shouts I have to pay for his damges.

He then cuts me off again and I stop but reverse a little to have a escape route. Lower the window to talk and he tries to snatch the car keys. So I poked my finger into his arm pit and that made him back off. I get the window up and rev out as he punches the car. But I go forward and take a U Turn as I am in no mood to drive towards home. Gun the engine and take a long route back home.

Last edited by bblost : 7th September 2020 at 19:37.
bblost is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 20:50   #413
BHPian

So he hits you on the rear left and asks you for damages? He must be out of his mind!.

As we can see from the dashcam footage, I don't think you even switched lanes or did anything dramatic. You seem to be just going along normally at normal speed.

On top of that, he thought you were running away!

It should have been the other way. You should be claiming from him.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 20:55   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Unfortunate. Seems to have happened in the newer area of the city. And going by the auto drivers language, he doesn't seem to be a localite either. Usually Hyderabadi auto drivers are laid back and will not take the effort of picking up quarrels for small dings unless their ego is dented.

Also, if you are well built, next time don't be shy to get down from the car and roll up your sleeves. 99% they will back off Of course, assuming it's the other persons fault.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:01   #415
Team-BHP Support

Imran, you should have told him you have a dash camera with the whole recording. That usually makes them back away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
So he hits you on the rear left and asks you for damages? He must be out of his mind!.
No, he obviously didn't realise there is a dash camera on the car. When something similar happened to me, I informed the other driver that I have the whole thing on camera and he instantly switched from offensive to defensive. I also informed the traffic police nearby about the dash camera, and he simply told me to go to the police station with the evidence. The guy who hit my car simply couldn't wait to run away. So I let him go since I was late for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Also, if you are well built, next time don't be shy to get down from the car and roll up your sleeves. 99% they will back off Of course, assuming it's the other persons fault.
Imran is strong enough to lift and throw that tiny auto driver over the top of the car.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:16   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

It should have been the other way. You should be claiming from him.
I had no idea at that time what was the damage on my car. But I told my wife, its just the car. Let it go.

But I guess my not stopping and fighting was interpreted as a weakness.
The damage is just a small bumper issue, which I can fix myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
The Langar Houz flyover.

Had both my kids in the car. The last thing I want them to see is something like this.
Also I have no idea what weapons he may have on his person, a knife, a screwdriver or a virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Imran, you should have told him you have a dash camera with the whole recording. That usually makes them back away.
As soon as I got my window down, he tried to grab the keys.

With my family inside and there being rain, there was no time for a conversation with him.

Quote:

Imran is strong enough to lift and throw that tiny auto driver over the top of the car.

I think he kinda realized that when I poked his armpit and made him let go of the car keys.

Additionally I was not sure if this was some sort of a trap. I have read of enough incidents where the fight starts with just one guy and soon his friends will converge.
bblost is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:22   #417
BHPian

Quote:

Was with family and it started raining. All of a sudden an auto banged into the left hand side. He came out of no where. I have dashcam footage of a free road in front and then impact happens near rear door.

He shouts I have to pay for his damges.

He then cuts me off again

Sad to see this happen to you. You have a great presence of mind and temperament. I wish I were you. These auto guys have become a menace on roads these days. Looks like they want to get into incidents like this and extort money from people to make up for the losses they incurred during the lock down period.

I too had an 'incident' with an Auto guy (TS11UC2042) about a week back. Unfortunately I don't have a dashcam on my car. I was driving my Innova on Bowenpally - Suchitra road (Medchal Highway) towards Kompally, there's a service road near bowenpally enroute to suchitra, all of a sudden a truck came from service road to the main road, I was on the right most lane, driving at 40 kmph (that's the speed limit on that road and there's a constable with speed gun in bushes) and an auto guy was tailgating me towards the left side of the car. Looks like he panicked and braked on seeing that truck, he cut his auto towards my side and hit on the rear end of the car. It was totally his fault, I was in right most lane and he rear ended me.

My Innova is equipped with a rear bike guard (crash guard), nothing happened to my car, not even a scratch, the auto's front indicator or something has taken a hit. I immediately parked the car on the left most part of the road, got down, meanwhile, the auto guy escaped, I saw him take off and I used a cuss word (this was before me inspecting rear end of the car), I know I shouldn't have done that, but if someone hits your loving car and tries to flee, you'd obviously get frustrated right? I should have kept my composure there. So the auto guy heard me abusing him when he took off, I saw his auto at the next signal (suchitra x roads), I thought since there's no damage to my car, I shouldn't engage in any verbal wars and should not maintain any eye contact with that guy. I heard someone was yelling at the signal and it was him screaming at me to get my attention. He did not have guts to get down when he had previously hit my car at that spot, he fled then but now he was yelling at me at a signal. When I made an eye contact, he was showing some obscene gestures. I got furious, got down and ran towards him, he escaped to the left most lane. I quickly went back to my car, as my dog was alone and barking (thinking there's some kind of harm to me on seeing all that commotion). I knew how stupid I was to leave my dog alone in the car like that.

The signal turned green, and I spotted the same auto on that road, which is when I took the pictures. He saw my car and was peeping out of the auto, looking if I am following him or not. By this time, I can tell that he surely felt scared. I overtook him, tried to stop him gradually slowing my vehicle, looks like he again panicked, instead of stopping, he went off road, he cut his auto towards left into a small ditch and got struck there. I almost came to a complete halt but I did not get down this time, but the auto guy took off into a small service lane and disappeared into a side street. After I went back home, I narrated the incident to my parents, and they told me not to throw stones in mud, as it will fall on you. But I somehow couldn't tolerate when that auto guy showed me obscene gestures and was yelling at me.

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20200907_203546.jpg

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20200907_203333.jpg

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20200907_203455.jpg

After reading many posts here and learning from various peoples' experiences, I still went for it. I know it is not best of my behavior and I apologize to everyone who are reading this post, but how would you guys react in situations like this? If there is anything, I should learn to be cool and calm in these kind of situations and not get carried away by anyone or anything!
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:36   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Additionally I was not sure if this was some sort of a trap. I have read of enough incidents where the fight starts with just one guy and soon his friends will converge.
Dashcam video shows a long queue of autos where the impact happened which is not very far from where he confronted you. Things could have quickly gone downhill if you'd have argued verbally or (worst case) physically. You did the right thing. Just make sure you lock the doors and lower the window glass only by an inch or two when absolutely required.

I can see two people on a bike on your left starting off just before there's an impact sound. It seems that the auto was overtaking you from the left and tried to squeeze through the gap between your car and the bike. Stupid fellow.

Last edited by self_driven : 7th September 2020 at 21:38.
Old 7th September 2020, 21:40   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
After reading many posts here and learning from various peoples' experiences, I still went for it. I know it is not best of my behavior and I apologize to everyone who are reading this post, but how would you guys react in situations like this? If there is anything, I should learn to be cool and calm in these kind of situations and not get carried away by anyone or anything!
I used to be like that. But then you realize that if you wrestle with a pig, you get dirty and the pig has fun. Even if you technically win.
This Kompally road is very poorly designed. I go there often as I have some family living close to Dhola-ri-dhani. Its scary and the cops with this radar have made it more scary because someone will spot the cop and jam on their brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Dashcam video shows a long queue of autos where the impact happened. Things would have quickly gone downhill if you'd have argued verbally or (worst case) physically. You did the right thing. Just make sure you lock the doors and lower the window glass only by an inch or two when absolutely required.

I can see two people on a bike on your left just before there's an impact sound. It seems that the auto was overtaking you from the left and tried to squeeze through the gap between your car and the bike. Stupid fellow.
Yup, it was his left side overtaking that went bad.

This particular road is quite dangerous. A couple of years back a guy jumped in front of a car coming down the flyover and committed suicide. It was the car drivers good fortune that there was a CCTV installed just a week or so before this happened.

So I am extremely careful here.

Not just auto drivers. Everyone and their uncles will come and join in support of the "poor" auto driver against the car driver. No matter who is at fault.

Last edited by bblost : 7th September 2020 at 21:42.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:42   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I have no idea what weapons he may have on his person, a knife, a screwdriver or a virus.

As soon as I got my window down, he tried to grab the keys.
Nicely handled overall bblost. Just a word of caution, NEVER roll down your window, if you have to talk, talk loudly thru a closed window.

A fight situation can easily get out of hand nowadays and mostly these people are cowards who will only fight if they outnumber you or with weapons. Definitely not a chance to take with your family in the car.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks