Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 13:00   #391
BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

The following has happened to me thrice in the last two weeks.
There is a right turn on my way to work, where i join another road. Three times i have spotted the same woman driving slow, and far from the intersection, so far that at least 3 vehicles can completely merge, before she approaches with the same speed or at any other sane speed.

However, the lady under discussion always has other plans. As soon as i or the vehicle in front of me starts the merge after due diligence, she maniacally accelerates, comes dangerously close to other motorists before being inches away from the lead car's side profile.

Meanwhile, all this time, she is honking the life out of her horn which reaches a crescendo while the lead vehicle is near finished with the turn. I like to imagine that she furiously bangs the horn with her hand, head, legs and any other body part that can reach it. Nothing else can explain the discontinuous racket she creates.

If she is behind, i let her pass, without looking, as now i know better.

The first time i looked, all i could see see was bared teeth, a heaving chest, a drooling and frothing mouth, flaying hair and a semblance of a human face now turned grotesque - contorted by rage and alien emotions. What i saw resembled an infected, feral, wild creature more than a human which nearly blinded me, pardon my French, and this, after the horns nearly turned me deaf.

I would take a deep breath and follow her out of necessity for some time. I see the furious mad honking and the feral transformation repeating at each intersection before she vanishes in one of such intersections amidst abuses hurled by oncoming traffic.
Nowadays whenever i pass that junction, a feeling of dread always looms over me. I feel she is always there lurking, waiting to begin her assault on my now suspecting senses.

Last edited by TrailBlazer007 : 1st October 2019 at 13:04. Reason: Punctuation fixes
TrailBlazer007 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 20:06   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

I spotted these chaps having a go at each other. Other road users gingerly drove around them as carefully as they could, while these chaps fought away merrily.
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-accident_roadrage.png
Since I didn't see what happened originally, here's what I can forensically surmise:
1) The two lungi-clad chaps on the left, fighting out of the Northern Corner, weighing in at 180 pounds, drive a Tata Ace, seen parked a bit further down the road beside the median.
2) The two brown-pant wearing chaps on the right, fighting out of the Southern corner, weighing in with a steel rod and a bared chest/belly, were trying to cross the road haphazardly on their Yamaha FZ-S.
3) As the two bikers completed a hare-brained road-crossing, the Tata Ace clipped their bike's rear half, sending the two brown pant wearers to the road. Their 2 pairs of footwear can be seen lying on the other side of the median, over by the crossing.
4) Having tasted mud, they picked themselves up, procured an iron rod from somewhere, proceeded to lose a shirt, and began beating on team lungi - the Driver and Cleaner of the Ace.
5) The referee for this match - the elderly man carrying a wooden plank, who is either a carpenter or a construction contractor, out there purely out of the goodness of his heart or maybe because he knows one of the fighters.
6) The verdict - unknown - but, team brown pant seemed to be winning. Team lungi took a number of shots to the head from the rod and the shirtless, pot-bellied brown pant was throwing the smaller lungi guy to the ground mercilessly.
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 20:24   #393
BHPian

A Kolkata man died after he was pushed in a road rage incident. The altercation happened because the elderly man was taking more time than usual to board his car.

Source
Old 25th November 2019, 16:06   #394
BHPian

Two reports of road rage.

The first one is a fight which almost happened. I had stopped at the red signal at the satara road - bibwewadi road junction today morning. Suddenly the traffic moving across from left to right stopped moving. As I looked at the left side I saw that a red ST bus had stopped in the middle of the road. The bus driver was getting down muttering choice words.

I searched around to see the second party but there was no one. Then one policeman ( I guess from his khaki pants) got down from the same ST bus and pushed the driver back into his cabin and asked him to proceed. The stance of the bus driver was such that he was ready for a fight. But the other party was nowhere to be found. There was one truck driver in the extreme left lane just ahead of the ST bus who was shouting something at the bus driver so maybe he was the other party.

The second one is my own experience. I was driving in the left lane since I had to turn left from Shivaji road onto University road at the Meteorological institute junction. Anyone who drives daily here knows what a nightmare this junction is due to the bullying of bus drivers.

There was this ford fiesta just ahead and to the right side. I kept to my lane and the ford did the same. Just as I was admiring his driving I don't know what got into him but he veered into me forcing me to halt and sped away. This got my goat. I caught up easily - due to the slow moving traffic - and got in front of him. Then I slowed down.

All the while I was muttering - In quite a hurry weren't you ? now slow down. Kudos to the guy who did not aggravate the situation in any way and merely kept following me at a distance. After some time I cooled down and we parted ways. Well of course I am ashamed of my behavior. I think that the way in which he just ploughed into me made me see red. In hindsight I should have just muttered a few choice words and ended it there.
luvDriving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 21:21   #395
BHPian

Talk about road rage, people are crazy.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...sufT2DgS0ye6x0

Take the above news with a pinch of salt, need to see the other side of the story.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 21:52   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Take the above news with a pinch of salt, need to see the other side of the story.
If this was true, I wonder what else differentiates these two legged animals from the four legged ones. Sad to see such incidents taking place.

But if I were the Optra guy, I wouldn't have had my windows open when those brutes came out of their car in the first place. I'd have seized the opportunity to floor it, after noting down their plates, if the signal and the road allowed me to. Or atleast called the cops in the first instance of trouble. Those guys do deserve to be jailed.

Don't get out of the car until there's intrusion into the cabin. Keep your nerves calm and don't try to return the favours like the Optra guy obviously did. He was just lucky. Remember, the tables can be turned at you any instant; you've got a family waiting at home. Also, get a dashcam for your sake!

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 5th January 2020 at 21:53.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 14:10   #397
Senior - BHPian

This happened in my hometown . I had parked the car to buy something from adjacent shop. After starting the car, I put the indicator,looked at rear view mirror for traffic so that I can join main road. There was a Activa coming by quite behind and I turned the steering wheel slightly. The scooter guy started honking relentlessly, and I let him go. He stopped right ahead of me turned back with angry face and was ready to throw some abuses at me. Sitting inside the car, I folded my hands and did a "Namaste" . The expression on his face was priceless. He appeared totally confused and was left wondering what to do next, instead of hurling abuses, he burst into laughter and sped away!

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th January 2020 at 14:12.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:05   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This happened in my hometown..
Well sir, your username checks out with what you swallowed that day! Sometimes the best thing is to just live and let live.

Saw an old man jumping into the middle of the highway with his cycle, from the median. We honked and he apologized with a smile. That got down our tension levels.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 9th January 2020 at 18:07.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 21:44   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Causes of Road Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Ego
  • Win at all cost attitude
  • Need to look good when exiting the situation
  • Goading by external parties/ peer groups
Ego may have escalated a situation today, but it fizzled out quickly. It takes just one of the parties to keep his cool, and a potential road rage situation can be easily defused. All it takes is 5 minutes. Watch...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th January 2020 at 21:51.
SS-Traveller is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 22:04   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It takes just one of the parties to keep his cool, and a potential road rage situation can be easily defused. All it takes is 5 minutes.
What a blithering idiot that i20 driver was! First he was trying to save his couple of minutes by squeezing from your left. Couldn't succeed there. So he thought of wasting another minute of his at the green light. He seriously needs to work on his priorities.

Sharing this message that I have shared earlier:

Quote:
The Law of the Garbage Truck

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly. So I asked, ‘Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!’
This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, ‘The Law of the Garbage Truck.’

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it, and sometimes they’ll dump it on you. Don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don’t take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day.

Life’s too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so…Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don’t. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

Have a blessed, garbage-free day.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 13th January 2020 at 22:07.
Sherlocked is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 22:23   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ego may have escalated a situation today, but it fizzled out quickly. It takes just one of the parties to keep his cool, and a potential road rage situation can be easily defused. All it takes is 5 minutes. Watch...
[]
Looks like your Thar intimidated him and he wanted to show you what he is capable of with his police lights and VIP sticker.
Probably he expected a bigger vehicle to disappear when he switched on his lights.

Good you had to stop there. It's better to stop otherwise too and let these hero's continue to be hero's.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 17:13   #402
BHPian

I was just driving at slow speed and was about to reach a red light. I was in the middle lane and suddenly a young boy in his Dzire started cutting into my lane and I had to avoid him. So, without looking on my left side, I bumped into a Tata Tiago. It was a very light touch, so didn't made much effect on the car. However two things to be noticed are:-
1. That boy in Dzire saw all this and fled away very fast (ran red light to avoid me).
2. I had to verbally fight with the Tiago driver for nearly half hour. Note that it could be my mistake but I think I could not be able to avoid the Tiago at any cost. I politely said sorry to Tiago driver but he started shouting at me in middle of road. So, in anger, I too, shouted at him to park at the side of road and then talk. Talking turned into shouting and shouting turned into verbal fight. Now to avoid fist fight, I gradually reached my car, and so did he. Then we both walked away.

Picture (After the accident there was too much, really too much of black'ish scratches on my LHS door but after rubbing with a wet cloth :-
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20191020_170618.jpg

Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-img_20191020_170622.jpg

Note from Support: Pictures uploaded to post. Please check link on how to upload pictures to the forum: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...t-quality.html (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality)

Last edited by aah78 : 15th January 2020 at 19:31. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. See note.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:41   #403
Senior - BHPian

This video in Bangalore shows how things escalate into assault. A BMTC driver lost his temper as a biker apparently cut across him. He assaulted the biker and slapped him and then verbally abused the person taking the video when questioned.

BMTC responded and suspended the driver and gave details of his training. (See tweets).
I feel the following should have also been done:
1. A case of assault should be filed against this driver.
2. The biker should be booked for rash riding (if true) and also riding without a helmet.
News link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73793974.cms
Tweet link of video along with response by BMTC: https://twitter.com/hamidkvrr/status...143215616?s=19

Helmets may decrease injury in road rage. I remember 15 years ago a rash biker cut across a busy road and i braked, but nudged him as i stopped. He got out and hit me, but the helmet saved me some injuries.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:44   #404
BHPian

Yesterday i was riding my two wheeler with wife on the pillion. I was supposed to cross the road and turn right. Suddenly one elderly person drove his bike fast diagonally and cut across and snarled at me saying "You like to go fast !!!" and spoke some more words. Wife was really nervous. She knows i get irritated when traffic violations happen. But out of nowhere i responded saying that i like to go fast and i like you also. That person was so stunned that he stopped his vehicle and looked at me with a confused face. Even i did not know why i responded that way but it made me realize that i can handle situations very differently.
vennarbank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 12:36   #405
Senior - BHPian

Normally I avoid posting my rage here on this thread since most of the times it is giving a dirty stare or the 5 fingers pointing hand.

And more or less every time, it is because someone cuts me off by squeezing in on the left when there is slow moving traffic. I try to get back at them by cutting them off, but then because of traffic, that doesn't happen and I end up cursing them in the car itself.
Yesterday, one such incident happened in which a car squeezed in from the left in a almost non existent gap and just missed hitting me. For his luck, the path he took was blocked by a two wheeler and he had to stop and honk by then I was beside him.
At this junction, I was heading straight and was keeping to the left since there was traffic that had to take a right.
The junction is something like this with me heading on the straight path and keeping left and this car who came from the bottom left heading to the top right.

| /
|/
/|
/ |

Before he cut me off, I let traffic clear that was coming from the left and cutting across my path to the right and when I was almost clearing the junction is when this hero squeezed in.
After he cut me off, I honked to show my annoyance which is when he got stuck behind a two wheeler. Since I was heading straight, I thought serves him right, and was moving on straight when the two wheeler gave him way and he moved rapidly to the right and hit my wing mirror in the process. In other words, he wanted right of way. By now I lost my cool and both the cars ended up in an angle where one of us had to reverse to let the other go. And since this was a junction, that caused a small pile up in few seconds.
I opened the left side window and started to mouth off. That car had 4 passengers and I guess they were used to this guy's driving that none of them reacted or were interested. The drivers argument was that he turned on the right signal and that I was hogging the middle of the road, which in reality was, I ended up in the middle after he pushed me from the left. After exchanging some colorful expletives I realized this was going no where since he wanted me to reverse and let him go. Ego!
I realized I was blocking traffic and reversed a bit which is when his true colors and ego showed. He mentioned that I screwed myself since I put myself in a position that was difficult to drive out of. But for my luck, the other drivers who were watching this, saw me reverse and waited for me to clear out from that spot making it easy for me.

Lesson learnt- With idiots who have ego as big as their heads, it is better to let go than waste your time which then leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Last edited by tharian : 4th February 2020 at 12:41.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks