Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 13:30   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Driving away, or whatever else it takes to NOT engage/escalate hostilities is the sensible thing to do, though our egos usually feel otherwise in the moment.
You're preaching to the choir sir! I know of too many cases where the other guy was too crazy or had weapons to put to use on an unsuspecting victim; an irate plumber used a heavy wrench in Chennai's Doraisamy subway once and caused multiple fractures on a Santro driver. I remember a screw driver being used by an angry biker to kill a pedestrian in Chennai. I've seen a share auto driver chase someone on the road with an oversized stone atop his uplifted arms...I don't see myself in any one of those scenarios. Nope.

Quote:
If all such avenues are closed, I guess one just lets their survival instinct take over and try to minimise the damage to one's own person.
Absolutely! Remember that Chinese SUV driver with an infant and his wife in the car, when they were gheraoed by a swarm of angry bikers in NYC? He had to run over some of them to protect his family. I just hope it never comes to that for any of us because once you've run over somebody, you cannot go back to how things were. Everything changes.

Edit: I request everyone to read this article where a rightfully angry bus driver was run over by an angry lorry driver in 2012 - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/16608871.cms

The Hindu even carried a somewhat dignified pic of the dying driver on the road. He remained alive for quite some time after being run over. That's no way to go!

Last edited by locusjag : 6th February 2019 at 13:39. Reason: Added an article at the end
locusjag is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:50   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Today I witnessed true animal instincts come out in a person. It was unfortunate and has scared me as to what some people are ready to do just to prove a point. You be the judge.
I'm at a loss for words as to what to say; I wonder, with such a diverse population, how long it will take (will it ever?) for us to become a sensible lot!
We have a number of theories as to why the guy behaved like that. But what's he trying to prove? We can't understand that because we're not in his shoes and so we might never understand.

Like someone mentioned a few post earlier, road rage isn't about anything that has happened on the road. The incident is just the canvas we're using to vent off pent up emotions.

For someone like me who'll get shaken by even looking at such things, there are very little options left other than following some basic rules like not rolling down the windows, not saying a word and letting the good Samaritans around calm the animal.

Last edited by rav11stars : 11th February 2019 at 11:51. Reason: removing link
rav11stars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:48   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Blimey! I'm obsessed with roadrage videos these days. It's like the final frontier for me...

What would I have done? How about revving a little just to knock him down? (Who am I kidding? That's illegal and so not in my nature)

Last edited by locusjag : 11th February 2019 at 20:50.
locusjag is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 05:39   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Blimey! I'm obsessed with roadrage videos these days...
What would I have done? How about revving a little just to knock him down? (Who am I kidding? That's illegal and so not in my nature)
For reasons unclear to me, I'm all grinning while watching this video. That was very well managed by the driver, considering it seems he had the option to ride through him and the gap in front of him.

On a side note, ROTFL on the top youtube comment to this video "when nature calls in morning and someone is already in the bathroom"

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th February 2019 at 05:42.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 14:44   #335
BHPian

Unfortunately, Road Rage is like a disease here in India. Cities like Delhi NCR have even crossed limits when it comes to fighting or in extreme cases shooting on small things like honking.
Old 21st February 2019, 08:08   #336
BHPian

Owing to day to day civic issues that we were facing (and trust me there are a ton of them), we decided to move to Australia and took the plunge last year.

We discovered that this problem of road rage has nothing to do with India, but with Indians. People from Indian community behave the same very way even here, though they have to face consequences and then they learn their lesson the hard way. However, the point is that it is to do with the personal ego which is set way to high in our society and people associate their pride and ego with their belongings like cars they own, house they live in and other materialistic items.

The other day I was at a crossroad and there was no stop sign on the side that I was, the driver in a car bigger than mine, not to say an Indian, ignored the stop line and almost ran into my car. After that he rolled his windows down and started hurling abuses. He created a scene there causing the traffic the traffic to come to a standstill until being threatened of police action for causing disruption to traffic movement by firstly his negligence and secondly his behavior by drivers of 4 other cars. All he shouted was "meri gaadi teri gaadi se badi hai *****, main tujhe dekh loonga".

There is a dire need for recognition in this strata of people who actually don't deserve that vehicle and have got it because they got it as a gift or suddenly scored some cash by selling off their lands or other means and now feel that they have made it big for themselves. The best thing to do if ever stuck in such a situation is to ignore such people if the situation permits, or straightaway drive to a police station. The chances are that they will blindly chase you and will land up behind you in Police Station (happened with one of my friends).

The blind eye that police turns towards such crimes combined with blinding ego is the prime cause of such incidents.
tajender is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 08:11   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Blimey! I'm obsessed with roadrage videos these days. It's like the final frontier for me...
This is quite an old video. I think it happened 2 to 3 years back if I remember correctly. Was shared quite a lot on social media at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
We discovered that this problem of road rage has nothing to do with India, but with Indians. People from Indian community behave the same very way even here, though they have to face consequences and then they learn their lesson the hard way. However, the point is that it is to do with the personal ego which is set way to high in our society and people associate their pride and ego with their belongings like cars they own, house they live in and other materialistic items.
Is it so? A few days back I saw road rage here in London. One guy broke the outside rear view mirror of the other car

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st February 2019 at 08:13.
Old 21st February 2019, 10:27   #338
BHPian

Quote:
We discovered that this problem of road rage has nothing to do with India, but with Indians. People from Indian community behave the same very way even here, though they have to face consequences and then they learn their lesson the hard way.
This is really sick. Such people bring a bad name to their country and fellow country men in other countries. Thankfully, the laws outside are way stricter than India, which makes a lot of difference when such people have a brush with the law once or twice. They mellow down after that understanding that they are not on their home turf.

Somewhere I think it also boils down to the upbringing an individual has. It is said that kids see their parents and learn than what the parents tell them. Probably whom you met was one such nutcase
Old 21st February 2019, 10:59   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Owing to day to day civic issues that we were facing (and trust me there are a ton of them), we decided to move to Australia and took the plunge last year.

Well its irrespective of country of origin. Given we are second highest populated country probability of road rage are higher. I have seen enough incidents abroad and also just do a search on youtube for Road rage and you will find videos from across the globe.
Old 21st February 2019, 12:20   #340
BHPian

Roadrage is universal. I watch tons of videos every day of road rage incidents from the US, Canada, UK and other Western countries.

With our infrastructure woes and the frustration because of traffic chaos, I'm actually surprised we don't have huge number of road rage incidents.

I used to get irritated and wound up with even relatively small incidents for the Indian roads when I started driving here after driving in the West for a while. But I got used to it and ignore these things now. Best example are the many good Uber/Ola drivers, they are more patient and zen like than any saint can be.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 21st February 2019 at 12:21.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 11:43   #341
BHPian

Today while dropping my son to school, I encountered a thorough gentleman. He zoomed past us under a tunnel where there is always water flowing and sprayed us both though he could see that we are on a bike.
When I asked him if he has any decency left, spraying water on kids, he responds by saying -

Now you guys are going to teach us what to do?

What is to be done with such folks, normally if I was alone I would have taught him a few more things. But while traveling with family all we are supposed to do is get wet, feel insulted, be quiet and carry on.

We find this a lot in the fringe areas of our city, I have noticed that most of these are the get-rich-quick guys selling their ancestral land and think no end of themselves, probably if he would have earned that through hard work, he would be a lot more humble.

What has happened to our society, where decency and apologies are lying neglected in the drain, and people like us end up being bound and frustrated and do nothing.

Trojan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 16:12   #342
BHPian

A weird thing I've noticed lately is, I get way more angry when I'm riding a bike than when I'm driving a car. I get much more affected by someone else swerving into my lane or randomly popping out of a bylane. In fact, I had even stopped riding for a couple of months because I feared I'd get into a fight one day. More often than not, after a road rage incident, I'd ride more aggressively until I reached my destination. That's not safe, at all.
Is it the same with others too?

When similar situations occur and I'm driving, I'm as cool as a cucumber and generally don't even care. So when a biker attempts to road rage, I tend to sympathize since I know exactly how it feels.

PS: I've stopped riding unless it's absolutely necessary and the journey is too short to take the car out for.
boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 12:50   #343
Senior - BHPian

"Even Cops Don't Stop Me": Gurgaon Driver Drags Toll Staff 6 Km On Bonnet

Quote:
"You'll stop my car? Even the police doesn't stop my car," said an Innova driver, refusing to pay the toll, to the attendant standing in front of his car, reported news agency ANI.

And then the unthinkable happens. The driver immediately accelerates past the boom barrier to get away without paying at the Manesar toll plaza, disregarding the life of the attendant, who jumps onto the bonnet. The entire sequence was captured by the CCTV installed at the booth.

"The driver dragged me for 5-6 km on his car's bonnet on a speed of about 100 km/hour," the toll staff said.
NDTV News.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 16:22   #344
BHPian

A first hand account of an 18 year old just escaping from getting killed or looted.

On 28th March 2019 i made the longest call to my mom lasting for over 6 minutes. What had happened ?

Dad was in Bombay for some meetings from pasts 4-5 days and was going to be there for another week, Dad called me and told me to bring a payment from Najafgarh, i agreed and took the keys for the WagonR, changed into my lowers and just like any other normal day, took the payment from Najafgarh and was heading back to Dwarka (it was broad daylight so i did not expected anything out of the ordinary which was going to take place and the biggest mistake was the WagonR). I am always alert on the road and i spotted something unusual, a white Verna had been following me it had tints and the number was barely visible as the font was small and was written in haryanvi i guess and after the suspicion i increased my speed and stepped on the accelerator but it did not really help as the Verna was progressing faster than me and reaching near me and as soon as i crossed the Najafgarh Drain the Verna overtook me and seeing this i slowed down and as expected he tried to block me and stopped his car in the middle of the road
(black arrow is the verna and the other one is me)
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-20190416_141110.png
and seeing this my plan failed and i had to replan and took a left on a single lane road as i had no other option(gave a command to google to call my mom) and the Verna being more powerful again overtook me and stopped just in front of me, i checked the rear view mirror and thank my stars there was no one behind me, i engaged reverse and stomped on the pedal and moved atleast 25 feet behind and lo and behold 4 or 5 guys each around 6 foot, very healthy stepped out, ran a little bit but as i was reversing they stopped and pelted some stones on the car but as i was far enough none of them hit my car, being a single lane road for both ongoing and incoming traffic i made a three point u turn
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-20190416_141041.png
for the old palam road and as soon as i entered the old palam road i could not see him, thought it was over, not yet 10 seconds later i could see him halting his car at the signal and the Verna took a right turn onto the old palam road,
Road Rage  - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation-20190416_141143-1.png
i was telling my mom everything while overtaking and he was also making a fast progress and out of nowhere an E-Rickshaw jumped in front of me and i was not able to stop in time and bumped into him but had enough room to overtake again as he was coming neck to neck and as i was overtaking the E Rickshaw (tyres skidded like in movies everyone was seeing me and i was constantly updating mom that i will be coming to Dwarka Court as only vehicles of advocates are allowed entry) he was neck on neck with me which lead him onto the oncoming traffic and i was making progress but he was too (and my mom was telling me to go to the MP office which is on that road but i decided not to as it was weekday and most probably other than sweeper no one would have been there and i did not wanted to take any risk) and after a few seconds he was just 2 cars behind me and ahead was some traffic in my lane so i took the decision to overtake as if i would not have taken the step he would have blocked me again and this time he was neck on neck again but i left no space for him leading him again onto the oncoming traffic and after a few seconds i entered Dwarka and kept checking the rear view mirror for my death but guess what the territory of the dog was till there only but i could not take any risk and reached the Dwarka court parked the car in basement and took a sigh of relief. Reached in the chamber and told mom everything, i should thank my stars and god that i am alive and in good health today.

Remaining calm and not losing your cool is the mantra to handle situations like these and which helped me tackling this situation.

Some people might ask why i did not head to a police chowki because sometimes even the officers are involved in cases like these, as cases like these appear in court daily in which police is also involved.

Last edited by revvharder : 16th April 2019 at 16:31.
revvharder is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:19   #345
Senior - BHPian

More a case of attempted robbery than road rage.
Could have been opportunistic where they targeted you on the fly after seeing that you are carrying cash or could have been even pre-meditated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks