Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 22:32   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

A very scary video from China.

bblost is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 23:52   #347
BHPian

It's always good to be safer than sorry. While your emotions might be high, assessing what's in your best interests is the motto.
mpp19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 19:13   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That bike rider is pretty lucky to be alive. If it weren't for that knife falling down he would've been the victim.

He seemed to have handled it pretty calmly, but still he was at the receiving end.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th July 2019 at 07:00. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post / spacing
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 20:21   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The core ego issue is one that I believe is a big problem for all of us. And it manifests in different manners:

- arguments / discussions with colleagues and friends in person or social media (we tend to continue arguing just to defend our original views)
- talking or interacting with service providers in person or on the phone
- bitching about the 2 / 4 wheeler in front of you who probably has done the same fault you would have done on a diff day
And so on...

I keep chiding myself everytime I make such a mistake. Unfortunately I realize only after feeding my ego. And I see people around me making similar mistakes again and again without realizing it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th July 2019 at 07:00. Reason: Spacing
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 13:54   #350
BHPian

Today morning faced road rage 2 times:
1. A narrow road full of shops of both sides. A car is there infront of me. This guy is moving so slow when nothing is infront of him, may be on 20 kmph when he can actually do 40 kmph. I followed him for some metres but lost my cool and I honked and flashed light. I could not overtake him due to oncoming 2 wheelers and cars. Honked 2 to 3 times and lost my cool. I wanted to somehow overtake him and show some sign. But my better half said not to do that and I followed this idiot for close to 750 m.
Don't know how to handle these idiots.

2. I get normally irritated when someone honks behind me. Today, after the incident 1, an autorickshaw guy came behind me and started honking when I stopped due to 2 wheelers or autoricks taking u-turns..etc. This guy comes and honks. 3rd time when he honked I gave him way, he overtook and gave a bad stare, disgusting.

I felt like getting out of the car and tell him why he is honking like this. God save our country. Though I controlled my anger I am in no mood to work properly today.

deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:59   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Though I controlled my anger I am in no mood to work properly today.
This is where you need to draw the boundary. Like they say in cricket, what happens on the field stays on the field.

What happens on the road, however disgusting, stays on the road. Don't bring the anger and dismay to your home or workplace. It's not worth it! Hope your day gets better and you have a good drive back and a relaxed weekend! Take care.

BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 15:17   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning faced road rage 2 times
Back in November, I had shared dashcam footage of what must be one of my most shameful moments in life. The video is still available on this thread; anyway, what set off roadrage in the other guy is an angry sign which I had shown. I was 100% completely correct in getting angry and he was guilty as hell. Yet, he ended up winning the battle against me and he even sent his buddies to chase me and harass me further. I totally lost that battle. It hurts me to recount the incident.

My car has a dent where the raging group hit it in their anger. My ego has a dent. But I can say I won the war because I don't have any scars to show for it. If I had gotten out of my car, I would have had to face 5 guys all by myself. I know I wouldn't have stood a chance, given how badly they were raging against me.

Quote:
1.I wanted to somehow overtake him and show some sign.

2. I get normally irritated when someone honks behind me.
I felt like getting out of the car and tell him why he is honking like this.
My suggestion is to not even make eye contact with the other guy, leave alone show signs or getting out of your car to talk to the other guy. Or if you absolutely must get out of your car, you'd best have pepper spray or some backup option for when (and not if) things turn deadly. In a perverse sense, if you get out of your car, you must be sure that you're capable and willing to give and receive blows. If you're not sure of that, don't even get out.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 19:10   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. A narrow road full of shops of both sides. A car is there infront of me. This guy is moving so slow when nothing is infront of him, may be on 20 kmph when he can actually do 40 kmph. I followed him for some metres but lost my cool and I honked and flashed light. I could not overtake him due to oncoming 2 wheelers and cars. Honked 2 to 3 times and lost my cool. I wanted to somehow overtake him and show some sign. But my better half said not to do that and I followed this idiot for close to 750 m.

2. I get normally irritated when someone honks behind me. Today, after the incident 1, an autorickshaw guy came behind me and started honking when I stopped due to 2 wheelers or autoricks taking u-turns..etc. This guy comes and honks. 3rd time when he honked I gave him way, he overtook and gave a bad stare, disgusting.
I felt like getting out of the car and tell him why he is honking like this. God save our country. Though I controlled my anger I am in no mood to work properly today.
I can relate to your reaction extremely well have mastered the art of not getting triggered and was good at it for a long time! Until few days back when some dude was honking for 10 solid minutes in bumper to bumper to traffic Was so triggered that there was a huge rush to irritation and other weird sensations that lasted for hours and hours! Felt like wasting half a day for some idiot's 10 minute mistake.

Usual reaction is to ignore these fools and just chill, works 100% of the time! Let's not forget that we shouldn't lower our self to the level of these half evolved monkeys who can't handle life, we are indeed superior to them morally, so no point to prove here. When our mind perceives threat to our position in our society, it immediately starts working to make sure we prove otherwise, hence when we feel that they are threatening our ego in one way or the other, our mind wants us to act immediately and prove our position.

Sounds like philosophical BS, but trust me, mind is very complex in how it reacts in a situation.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:59   #354
BHPian

A Telangana government bus driver was badly injured after being attacked by a mob of around 50 youth on more than 10 bikes. This happened on the Hyderabad highway on the outskirts of Vijayawada. They took off with around 25,000 cash from the bus.

Reason: The driver didn't let them overtake.

The passengers came to his rescue by shouting at the guys attacking him. I wonder why he even stopped the bus. He could've driven to a police station or a depo. I'm guessing he was forced to stop it.

Drawing no conclusion, but this sort of unruly behavior wherein they're bold enough to stop a bus and attack shouldn't be taken lightly.

Some pointers for us: Day or night, whenever you think someone wants to overtake, just let them; particularly if their driving is dangerous or if they're in a group. We can easily make out the obvious signs. Let them pass and just continue on our journey.

rav11stars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 13:59   #355
BHPian

Quote:

Put yourselves in the shoes of the driver in incident no.1 and you will get your answer. You say you normally get irritated when someone honks behind you. But you did the same in incident no.1. You say that you had stopped due to 2 wheelers taking U-turns. Maybe in incident no.1 also the driver might have noticed something.

Just saying. Before blaming others put yourselves in the other party's position.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th July 2019 at 07:02. Reason: Spacing
rajivr1612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:42   #356
Senior - BHPian

Cabbie locked in a room and beaten up by someone whose car he banged into. They apparently demanded 25k+ for the damage, he told them the damage was worth only 5k so they locked him into one of their rooms and bashed him up, then argued with the cops who turned up to release him.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...elated_Stories
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:26   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Put yourselves in the shoes of the driver in incident no.1 and you will get your answer. You say you normally get irritated when someone honks behind you. But you did the same in incident no.1. You say that you had stopped due to 2 wheelers taking U-turns. Maybe in incident no.1 also the driver might have noticed something.
Just saying. Before blaming others put yourselves in the other party's position.
Good catch!

But my Incident 1 was the person in front was moving very slow when he can actually do better.

Incident 2 was already doing better and could not ask for more.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th July 2019 at 07:02. Reason: Spacing
Old 5th June 2019, 17:06   #358
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A very cute ad just came in from Ford. Bad guys drive a Maruti, but a discontinued one
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 17:20   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A very cute ad just came in from Ford.
Just watched it between overs of India vs SA match. Felt this ad is to susceptible road rage what Tata Nexon's ad is to safety inside a car.

Great to see such enlightening advertisements amidst purely commercial ones. Have to commend the brains behind these sarcastic/funny/trolling, yet introspective, ads.

Last edited by strawhat : 5th June 2019 at 17:26.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 10:49   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

We (including myself) have always felt why employees are silent when their Cab/Bus drivers break rules. While partially it is also because of the strict directives from the organization itself that employees must not poke their noses when confronted with such situations, here is what happened to an employee of a reputed Automotive component manufacturer in Bangalore:

Bosch staff beaten

Quote:
A bus driver and a 43-year-old man, who came to the driver's aid, were beaten up by motorists in a road rage incident on Varthur Main Road on Saturday night.

The victim, Satish S, is an employee with Bosch in Adugodi, Bengaluru. According to the police, the incident happened around 11.45 pm when Satish was returning home from work in the company bus.

Satish, who had fallen asleep, was woken up commotion in the bus. A few people had entered the bus and were beating up the driver on Varthur Main Road.

Satish rushed to the driver’s help and later tried to call the police control room. Enraged by this, the accused assaulted Satish and threatened to kill him if he called the police again.

Other passengers pacified the attackers and took Satish to Manipal hospital for treatment.

Based on a complaint, the Varthur police registered a case of assault and criminal intimidation against the attackers and efforts are on to track them down.
It pains to read such news every day off late and majority of the incidents are due to Road Rage or simple brushing of 2 wheelers. Only yesterday a Swiggy Delivery boy was assaulted because didn't give way (as per reports).

Sorry to say but Road Rage related incidents are on the rise and it may not be too far when such incidents are on top of the crime chart list above all the other incidents of Chain Snatching and Pick-pocketing!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th June 2019 at 10:50.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks