Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 19:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Indian Nano, Alto, Figo, i10 & Polo FAIL Global NCAP Safety Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

I really wish Punto was also tested. It would have been a positive advertisement for it (I am sure it will not be any worse than Polo).
If fiat had tested the punto, it would have been a really good ad for Fiat. For me it's the safest hatch under 10 lakhs. Build quality is better than the polo and the excellent steering and brakes comes as a bonus if you had to avoid an accident. A crash test would have given a better picture. Although we are now blaming various manufacturers for poor safety standards, we as consumers have also played an important role in creating this situation. When I have asked my friends to go for top end variants or safer cars such as punto/polo many have replied to me saying that they are not buying cars for crashing. And I have kept quite since. Some others value 0.5kmpl more than their lives. Some say it's an expensive affair to replace airbags once they have popped up! And some others say that cars with heavier sheet metal doesn't fare good during crashes as they don't crumple! Will now show them these videos how their cars crumple altogether. So you can't complain manufacturers alone. Being honest hasn't worked for some manufacturers here. For almost 80% of Indian consumers, mileage, brand, resale value, gizmos etc.. value more than safety. Reasons why we see the Indian made cars have the thinnest sheet metal and the highest selling hatch has poor brakes(on lower variants) and not so good build quality. Hyundai saw Indians doesn't value safety a lot so they removed some safety measures from the i10. They also advertise their safety and put 5 star NCAP rating stickers on models with 2 airbags. I hope this same trend is not extended to their other cars from higher segment. It's good to see some changes coming in atlast. Another fact to be noted is that these cars were crash tested at 64kmph. And we still see many people over speeding on congested roads that too sometimes without even wearing a seat belt!
SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 19:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only way to get back at these irresponsible manufacturers is to DEFAME them.
GTO, I don't think that the defamation will work, because of the reason you gave below.
Quote:
The average car owner in India (unfortunately) prioritizes price & fuel-economy over safety. Problem is, he's also ignorant about safety standards or requirements. Manufacturers are only too happy to cash in on this situation.
The only thing that will work is to ban the sale of cars which fails to meet a certain standard. In India, if we allow the sale of cars with the safety rating displayed, a vast majority of people will still go behind the cheapest and the most frugal. Just see the sales figures of the Alto twins, even after the recent publishing of the crash test results.

Quote:
P.S. These Global NCAP dudes should have taken along a Mahindra Bolero or Tata Sumo in these tests, especially one fitted with a mega after-market bullbar!
They dare not test those age old leviathans. They will have a heart attack seeing the results. The crash test may create shock waves because there is nothing to absorb the impact energy
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 19:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have to go against the view that safety features and their effectiveness should be legally enforced when manufacturers are allowed to sell cars with no safety equipment on board. The problem is with people and their priorities, just this month I listened to someone who said that she find seatbelts uncomfortable and her car is modified/damaged so that she can place the seatbelt over herself without buckling it Another rubbish argument is that it is needed only on highways.
The ABS thing is another dealer promoted negligence, educated people(whose knowledge of vehicles in general is pathetic) will tell you that its not necessary in town as the speeds are low, they get this at the dealership because the dealer will always try to sell the no safety version that is always in stock.
Old 31st January 2014, 19:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

This report and discussion made me wonder about my car. I bought my City AT in 2012 and one of my priorities was safety. I was suddenly curious about its safety rating. On a quick web check I came across this link which makes me feel rather chuffed.
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/h...ariants-67672/
Old 31st January 2014, 19:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, I am glad someone hasn't said that this is all some sort of conspiracy to malign India in the eyes of the world etc.

But seriously, the manufacturers are to blame - yes. But what about the government. When will we give up on populist policies and bring some discipline especially when lives are concerned?
Old 31st January 2014, 19:41   #36
BHPian

I am all for Airbags and ABS to be made mandatory. However, i feel other essential equipment should be made mandatory as well - namely - left side ORVM, rear defogger, rear wash / wipe (Hatchbacks).

Also, enforcement. I know of at least 2 people (educated, city bred, well travelled), one of whom wont use the left ORVM (the excuse is bikers will break it!) and the second one's kids are always standing in front with their hands on the Air bag console. I can only pray for their safety as multiple attempts to make them see reason have failed.
Old 31st January 2014, 19:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Today I feel very much proud of owning both Volkswagen Vento & Ford Fiesta and seeing the level of injury on tin boxes cars, thank goodness I kept myself away from Japs & Korean all together.

Many a times I seen bhpians say so & so car got 4* rating in Euro NCAP but they always forget, that Indian made cars are of different sheet metal & structural rigidity.

Here is a complete video showing rating on driver & passenger with various color used to denote level of injury, with red being fatal. Both Volkswagen Polo & Ford Figo fared far better.

Made-in-India cars crash tested for the first time - Siddharth Patankar.

Everyone used to question me why VW and why not Maruti Suzuki, I did show them this video to realize them importance of safety which is always above kitna deti hai mindset.

I wish GOI takes up corrective steps and makes following compulsory:
  • Crash testing in India with star rating out of 5 displayed on every car
  • Airbags
  • ABS+EBD
  • Certain level of structural rigidity

I hope following cars do get crash tested using their base variants
  • Maruti Omni
  • Maruti Ecco
  • Tata Indica
  • Tata Sumo
  • Bajaj RE60
  • Mahindra Bolero

Today Global NCAP made my day.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 19:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

All cars I have purchased in the last 5 years have always had a bare minimum of 2 airbags and ABS. My friends call me stupid but I value my life.
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:01   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Today I feel very much proud of owning both Volkswagen Vento & Ford Fiesta and seeing the level of injury on tin boxes cars, thank goodness I kept myself away from Japs & Korean all together.
That's a specious argument. The Vento Trendline lacks airbags and is almost identical to the Polo up front so will probably get zero stars in NCAP testing as well.

Mod Note: Please focus on the models covered in this report and do not speculate about future models or turn this into a Japanese vs European debate.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aren't you being a wee bit unfair to the Japs/Koreans by that sweeping statement? After all some of their cars have got excellent ratings in the Euro NCAP if you check their site for the different years.

(My post was being written while Noopster's note came up. Mods - do delete if required.

Last edited by wilful : 31st January 2014 at 20:12.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
That's a specious argument. The Vento Trendline lacks airbags and is almost identical to the Polo up front so will probably get zero stars in NCAP testing as well.
My argument maybe indirect. If you could see the video on NDTV by Siddharth Patankar, it shows the level of injury to both driver & co-driver. Polo & Figo had was less injuries compared to other cars which had near fatal injury shown by red color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Aren't you being a wee bit unfair to the Japs/Koreans by that sweeping statement? After all some of their cars have got excellent ratings in the Euro NCAP if you check their site for the different years.
I also own a Honda City VAT 5 Gen; so I ain't biased towards Japs & Koreans. Vento any day gives me more confidence compared to City.

My views are only after owning Vento, Fiesta & City for more than 2.5 yrs.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Here is a complete video showing rating on driver & passenger with various color used to denote level of injury, with red being fatal. Both Volkswagen Polo & Ford Figo fared far better.

Made-in-India cars crash tested for the first time - Siddharth Patankar.
Thanks for sharing this clip with us el lobo , maybe with some media attention people will be made aware of car safety regulations .

The bit with the manufacturers comments , especially TATA was IMHO funny ! They say that their cars comply with current safety regulations in India . But from what i have been reading in the last 3 pages of this thread it seems that there are NO strict regulations at all ! You show them a footage of a Nano getting squashed like a bug and THIS is what they say ? Not very confidence inspiring .

Time to dump my Nano and go European . Any news on the face-lifted Polo?
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

If someone is taking requests, then please consider EON crash test as well, since that comes in the entry level segment (4 lacs).
Also, you cannot generalize that since cars are made for/ in India, the structural rigidity or quality is low.
See this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...d-my-life.html
Surprised that it was a Maruti?
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:29   #44
BHPian

I really feel bad about the way safety is being compromised here in India.

ABS + airbags should be mandatory at least in the mid variants. But what is happening is, people are not even getting something as trivial as adequate braking(even for city driving) in the country's most popular B2 hatchback.

Maruti should be ashamed of themselves for the braking mess up on the Swift. It is not the 1980s or the 800 era any more. Them being the leaders here, should lead the pack in providing safety to the Indians, at least for making them what they are today. Instead, they are leading other manufacturers into adopting crude cost cutting measures by compromising on structural integrity, safety features etc.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:36   #45
BHPian

S U N , you may have a point . That man made it out lucky to be alive . BUT it wasn't a complete full frontal . The right wheel hit the divider first right ? Further arguments may be made only when all indian cars are crash tested . Then we can pit them against each other .

Well built cars have that feel , from the thud of the door to the way they drive . you just know they are built tough . Ex : VW's , Fiats etc . Tata and MarutiSuzuki really don't seem that safe like their European competitors .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks