Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 16:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP launches the sixth round of #SaferCarsForIndia crash test results

Adult Safety Score
WagonR : 6.93
Santro : 6.74

Child Safety Score
WagonR : 16.33
Santro : 15

To be honest, I never expected a Hyundai to perform worse than a Maruti of a particular segment in the crash tests. Disappointed.

I'm now eagerly waiting for test results of the Grand i10 and Elite i20. It would be interesting to see the reactions of Maruti bashers if these cars also score a 2 star rating. If two cars provide the same level of protection in an accident, I'd put my money on the more fun to drive and fuel efficient one rather than settling for a fuel guzzler with a false sense of safety.

PS. I have neutral views on Maruti cars, neither praise them nor bash them. Even my current recommendations to people looking for a hatchback are mostly in favor of Hyundai cars.

Last edited by self_driven : 31st October 2019 at 17:02.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:32   #17
OSH
BHPian

Re: 2019 Global NCAP crash tests - Ertiga, WagonR, Santro & Redigo

The media coverage of this round by NDTV auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Having seat belt reminders, ISOFIX holders, speed warnings, airbags, ABS etc score up a car a lot. As an example, the Tata Nexon went from 4 to 5 stars without any structural changes at all. It just made ISOFIX standard, removed auto door locks and such subtle configuration & feature standardization differences & became 5 star.
Are you sure about this ? IIRC there were structural changes as well. Their whole journey from a 4 star car to India's first 5 star car was documented by a media house in which Tata had spoken a lot about the changes they had to carry out.

Last edited by OSH : 31st October 2019 at 17:41.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:41   #18
BHPian

To be honest I am surprised with the results. Ertiga can easily score more if Maruti fixes the borderline unstable structure and Santro scoring same as WagonR is a surprise as it really spoils the false sense of security that most Hyundai owners seem to get when they buy it over a Maruti. Also, Swift with 2 airbags got 2 stars while WagonR got 2 stars with just driver airbag, that’s weird imo. Who knows WagonR might have even got 3 stars with dual airbags?
shivamk11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:48   #19
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios awarded 4-Stars in Global NCAP Crash Test

The 2019 round of Global NCAP Crash Tests of Indian cars has just been conducted and the results are in. Four cars were tested this year - the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga, the Maruti Suzuki Wagon R, the Hyundai Santro and the Datsun RediGo. All cars were tested in their base spec, as per usual, and that means the Wagon R, Santro and RediGo came with the bare minimum one airbag.
Maruti Ertiga LXi : 3/5 stars, Maruti WagonR LXi : 2/5 stars,
Hyundai Santro Era : 2/5 stars, Datsun RediGo G : 1/5 stars

Link :
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 19:15   #20
BHPian

If ever a campaign was needed in Indian auto space, it is for getting Global NCAP to test at least all blockbuster cars sold in India. More skeletons will come out of the closet. Going by initial rumours, Indian tests are going to be highly compromised and will not be dependable at all.
CoolFire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 20:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Global NCAP launches the sixth round of #SaferCarsForIndia crash test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What disturbed me the most was that the WagonR's CRS BROKE during test.
You missed out
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post

Suzuki Maruti Ertiga
... The passenger pretensioner failed to work properly.
Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 20:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
To be honest I am surprised with the results. Ertiga can easily score more if Maruti fixes the borderline unstable structure and Santro scoring same as WagonR is a surprise as it really spoils the false sense of security that most Hyundai owners seem to get when they buy it over a Maruti. Also, Swift with 2 airbags got 2 stars while WagonR got 2 stars with just driver airbag, that’s weird imo. Who knows WagonR might have even got 3 stars with dual airbags?
Hyundai i20 was a 5* rated car. Current elite i20 is 3*, iirc. So much for Hyundai's safety. Every single company tries to fool and short change ill-informed Indian customers.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 20:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Hyundai i20 was a 5* rated car. Current elite i20 is 3*, iirc. So much for Hyundai's safety. Every single company tries to fool and short change ill-informed Indian customers.
Sad to see Hyundai slipping on safety. They are learning Maruti tricks to do away with everything customers can't see directly.

By the way it's almost astonishing that the two Indian players, Tata and Mahindra are getting it right on safety while not doing great on most other counts compared to the Maruti-Hyundai duo. Quite disappointing that the market cares so little of this
CoolFire is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 20:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Expected press release from MSIL:

'The latest crash tests are unnecessary and are not applicable for Indian conditions. The government mandate to include safety features such as air bags and ABS on new cars have made them costlier for Indian consumers. Yes it is true that we are able to sell competitively priced cars in Europe with the legislated safety features, but we do not have a market monopoly there hence this is necessary.

As per our own internal survey, all our customers who are first time car owners have found Maruti to be far safer than their previous two wheelers.
'
shortbread is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 21:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
As per our own internal survey, all our customers who are first time car owners have found Maruti to be far safer than their previous two wheelers

Seriously what kind of a justification is this?

It deserves to go here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ke-thread.html
self_driven is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 03:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't help but make this meme. Mods, please delete my post, if it goes against the rules.
Attached Thumbnails
2019 Global NCAP crash tests - Ertiga, WagonR, Santro & Redigo-datsun-meme.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 06:50   #27
BHPian

I find it very strange that government is more concerned about emission norms than the crash ratings of the cars. Any car with a rating less than 3 should be banned automatically.
thehighwayman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 08:52   #28
BHPian

Disheartened to see cars like wagon-r and santro scoring just enough to remain road legal. When will there ever be a small safe car one can buy with a 5 lakhs budget. Pre-owned route seems to be the only option��
Old 1st November 2019, 09:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
Disheartened to see cars like wagon-r and santro scoring just enough to remain road legal. When will there ever be a small safe car one can buy with a 5 lakhs budget. Pre-owned route seems to be the only option��
Well, if the speed limit is 90 on highways and you drive at 90 or may be 85 kmph just to remain road legal; why do you want others to follow different standards.

They too have targets, compensation requirements and growth aspirations. Any mass market product will just qualify. Had it been with a premium / luxury sedan, I would have agreed with you.

If 2 Star is road legal, companies will ensure it. Make it 3 and they will fall in line.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 09:48   #30
BHPian

The entire list has been published, what I fail to understand is that why Figo is rated 0 whilst Aspire is a 3 Star Rated??

Also disappointed that Freestyle - Figo's brother will also most likely be 0 star!
The List of Indian Cars tested:

2019 Global NCAP crash tests - Ertiga, WagonR, Santro & Redigo-indiancarssafetyratinglistglobalncap.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 5th November 2019 at 00:01. Reason: Typos, spacing.
Sk8r is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks