Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2011, 20:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bhubaneswar to Darjeeling

@Sutripta

So, acc to you we should avoid NH60 altogether??

What is the other route that you are talking about, other than NH34?? Taking NH2B??
Old 7th May 2011, 20:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@Sutripta

So, acc to you we should avoid NH60 altogether??

What is the other route that you are talking about, other than NH34?? Taking NH2B??
Hi,
Balasore to KGP is also NH60, and part of the GQ. And in excellent condition, except for one or two small sections where one side is closed (culverts washed away).

Not NH2B. That is the preferred route from Barddhaman to Shantiniketan nowadays. But for Moregram, would suggest the Panagarh - Moregram road. It starts just before the Durgapur toll booth. It is a state highway. No chance of getting lost.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th May 2011, 06:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Balasore to KGP is also NH60, and part of the GQ. And in excellent condition, except for one or two small sections where one side is closed (culverts washed away).

Not NH2B. That is the preferred route from Barddhaman to Shantiniketan nowadays. But for Moregram, would suggest the Panagarh - Moregram road. It starts just before the Durgapur toll booth. It is a state highway. No chance of getting lost.

Regards
Sutripta
The NH60 between Darjeeling More and Morgram via Siuri is in bad shape though. But you do not have any other choice. Other route is to go on NH34 from Calcutta itself but day traffic on that highway is very high.
Old 8th May 2011, 12:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Kishangunj - In case you are in a Car, you will hit speed-breakers umpteen times. There is a way out though. Once you cross bus-stand and railway station (just after the flyover) and go towards a diversion side by side a over-bridge, go to your extreme right (to the other side of the flyover). Its a narrow road running side by side the NH 34 w/o those giant speed breakers.
Hallo Sheel,
I shall be driving from Kolkata to Gangtok and Pelling within a fortnight, either on 21st or 22nd of this month and shall use my Tata Indigo (Petrol) car. As these speed breakers may be a concern to me, will you please give me the direction once again with some more detail, regarding how to identify this diversion?
Thanks and regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Old 8th May 2011, 16:48   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Hallo Sheel,
I shall be driving from Kolkata to Gangtok and Pelling within a fortnight, either on 21st or 22nd of this month and shall use my Tata Indigo (Petrol) car. As these speed breakers may be a concern to me, will you please give me the direction once again with some more detail, regarding how to identify this diversion?
Thanks and regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
I just came back yesterday and should have photographed the scenario for better understanding.

Anyways, here I go -

Once you cross the first flyover after Dalkola which bypasses half of Kisangunj town, you come across a straight for a kilometer, almost. (This flyover is in Kisangunj & some 25 kms from Dalkola)

After almost the 1km long stretch, you shall have to get off from the main road towards a diversion (the present NH 34).

This road (diversion) is to your left, and to your extreme right, there is a small road (in width) which runs parallel to the 2nd under construction over-bridge and the diversion which you should abandon.

The other road has breakers too, but they won't break your Car compared to the ones present on the main road.

I might be going in again the next week-end. If I do, I shall photograph and put it over here

Note :- Both the roads (speed breaker one & the one which I am suggesting) run parallel to the under construction bridge at the other sides.(extreme ends) So, in case you take the wrong road, you may go across to the other side.

Do the same while going back.(i.e. to your extreme left) The fly-over shall take at least 6 months to be functional.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th May 2011 at 16:57.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 20:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The NH60 between Darjeeling More and Morgram via Siuri is in bad shape though. But you do not have any other choice. Other route is to go on NH34 from Calcutta itself but day traffic on that highway is very high.
Hi,
If I'm not mistaken, Darjiling More to Dubrajpur is not NH60, but a SH, 9 most probably. Actually NH60 is a renaming of diverse SHs.

If driving at night, NH34 is preferable. Just as bad, but shorter. During daytime, it's a nightmare.

If one has to take NH34 during the day, on can avoid it till Jaguli (Kalyani TO) by either taking the Kalyani expressway, or (esp. if you are starting from Howrah side) by taking old NH2 (which has now been designated a SH!) and cutting across from Mogra to Jaguli via Iswar Gupta Bridge at Bansberia.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th May 2011, 14:48   #22
BHPian

A small update.
The NH4 widening work is going on from Kolkata to Malda+. So you can except heavy traffic and bad road. Day driving will be better in this region. Malda is a good choice to stay. However after MoreGram you can see a place called Omarpure. This can be a alternate place to stay. From Omarpure if you go to RaghunathGang (3KM) inside, you will be having descent hotels.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Sowmya

I think you meant NH34 and not NH4.

Also arent "expansion work going on with heavy traffic and bad roads" and "day driving will be better" contradictory statements.

I would imagine if expansion work is going on with heavy traffic the advise would be to avoid it at all costs.
Old 9th May 2011, 23:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

The expansion is happening post Malda too.

If any one has sufficient experience of night time driving and has driven at a place where luxury buses have 8 auxiliary lamps coupled with fancy truck's headlamps, then he might take the plunge. Its a single-lane road (NH-34).

Save for this, night driving should be the way to go.
Old 10th May 2011, 02:17   #25
Team-BHP Support

I have travelled between Kolkata to Gangtok/Darjeeling about 6 times by road and everytime except once I travelled by night. The daytime traffic on NH34 is horrible. But I prefered the route through Siuri as it was much faster/safer even though it was about 70 Kms more. I am not sure about the scenario in the past 3 years. Heres the links to 2 threads that I had posted long time back -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...th-sikkim.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ng-esteem.html
Old 12th May 2011, 22:21   #26
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
This road (diversion) is to your left, and to your extreme right, there is a small road (in width) which runs parallel to the 2nd under construction over-bridge and the diversion which you should abandon.

The other road has breakers too, but they won't break your Car compared to the ones present on the main road.

I might be going in again the next week-end. If I do, I shall photograph and put it over here
I went to Siliguri around Jan'11 and the roads are horrible at that time. I am fully aware of these speed breakers as I, myself scraped my car 2/3 times there. While returning, came back from your described road but after some time, I have to abandon that road because of truck parking at will.

Since, I might have to go again around last week of May, few of my questions:

1) While going from Kolkata, is it alright to go through the right side, I mean there is no one way or like that?

2) How is the road from the point, the expressway ends till Siliguri? Last time I went, it was a nightware with big craters and almost non-existent roads.

3) Will really help us all, if you put some photograph?

@All TBHP'ians: Does anyone have any experience of NH-34 from Barasat to Dalkhola recently? How is the road condition now?

Thank you all in anticipation of reply.
Old 12th May 2011, 22:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
I went to Siliguri around Jan'11 and the roads are horrible at that time. I am fully aware of these speed breakers as I, myself scraped my car 2/3 times there. While returning, came back from your described road but after some time, I have to abandon that road because of truck parking at will.
Trucks can't be parked on that road. Its frequented by local traffic. That might be a one off incident though.

Quote:
1) While going from Kolkata, is it alright to go through the right side, I mean there is no one way or like that?
That road is meant to go inside Kisangunj town & hence can be used. There is no correct or right side.
Be cautious of local traffic though.

Quote:
2) How is the road from the point, the expressway ends till Siliguri? Last time I went, it was a nightware with big craters and almost non-existent roads.
The roads were bad before Siliguri till January, the construction started in Feb and its okay now.

There is an alternate road which starts after the 2nd last fly-over towards your right. It goes to NJP. (from Ghoshpukur)

Quote:
3) Will really help us all, if you put some photograph?
Sorry mate, but my immediate plans to go over has been shelved.

Quote:
@All TBHP'ians: Does anyone have any experience of NH-34 from Barasat to Dalkhola recently? How is the road condition now?
It should be the same with construction happening to make the road wider.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:16   #28
Joy
BHPian

Thanks for your answer.

Quote:
It should be the same with construction happening to make the road wider.
Do you have any personal experience? Because, last time, it was like almost hell. I am not concerned about jams, I am asking about road conditions. Last time, it took me almost 18 hours from Mong Pong to Kolkata (started at 5 a.m., reached Siliguri around 5.45/6 (through total fog) and landed at home at 11/11.30 p.m.) via murshidabad/krishnanagar, whereas it took around 15 hours from Kolkata to Siliguri (started at 5.00 a.m. and reached Mainak hotel, Siliguri at 8/8.15 p.m.) via darjeeling more and moregram.

Thanks once again.

P.S. This was my observation: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2219166
Would like some update based on my account?

Last edited by Joy : 12th May 2011 at 23:25. Reason: added info
Old 12th May 2011, 23:24   #29
Team-BHP Support

I went up to Maldah on 25th April and I could see the widening in process. Not very pronounced at some places though.

Its hell at the Dalkola railway crossing. I just hate that place because of the crossing.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

NH34 is pretty bad from Morgram onwards. Dalkola is hell, as Sheel says, note to take a right turn in the Dalkola Bazaar and rejoin NH34 some kms up north in case you see massive jam at the level crossing. Expect moderate speeds and lots of swearing!
And if you take NH60 from Darjeeling More to Morgram, that is another mess too.
(These updates are 2-3 weeks old)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks