Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 16:00   #1201
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
The ROB is not open officially but you can take your bike through the gaps of the concrete blocks. The locals are taking their bikes for more than a week now.
I guess this video confirms your post. Bikes can cross the railway lines from above.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 01:43   #1202
BHPian

Route update on Kolkata - Siliguri - Darjeeling Nov 2021

We just completed our round trip from Kolkata to Lebong this weekend. I broke my long term fixation with SH7 via Burdwan and took the new route as suggested by Golam ( thanks a lot to gmhossain)

Route we followed

2nd Hoogly toll - Dankuni crossing towards old Delhi road or SH13 - Mogra flyover - Gajoghanto crossing - SH6 - Hematpur crossing - SH8 via Gourango Setu - Krishnanagar - NH12 - Jalongi bridge - Baharampur bypass - Malda - Botolbari to Dhantola (Bengal to Bengal) - NH27- NH327 from Bagdogra crossing - Panighata bridge - Dudhia-Pankhabari road-Kurseong-Darjeeling-Lebong

Road condition & traffic

Started at evening from Kolkata during outbound journey and started at morning from Lebong during return journey
  • 2nd Hoogly toll to Dankuni turning towards Old Delhi road
    Moderate traffic during outbound journey at evening . Heavy traffic and bad road during return journey at night . However, traffic was much less than what we experienced a month back.
  • Dankuni turning to Mogra flyover
    Mostly 4 laned except few patches, excellent road condition, speed sensors in the initial part towards Dankuni - though not sure how many of them have cameras.
  • Mogra Flyover and turn to SH6
    During outbound journey you need to take the leftmost ramp going to Kalyani and after coming down the flyover take left turn to SH6 in Gajoghanto crossing . However, during return journey, after taking right from SH6, you need to go under the flyover, take a right turn and then take a U turn to the flyover ramp towards Dankuni.
  • SH6-Hematpur crossing
    Excellent road though 2 laned - did not find much traffic in either outbound journey at evening and return journey at night. However we missed the view as both times it was after sundown. But be careful as first 20-25 km (towards Mogra) has many bumps whenever you reach a locality .
  • Hematpur crossing-SH8-Gourango Setu-Krishnanagar
    Turn right from Hematpur crossing towards Gourango setu. Maintenance work going on Gaurango Setu- but LMVs are exempted. There is a ₹10 toll after crossing the bridge towards Krishnanagar . Once we meet NH12 at Krishnagar, there was a sudden quagmire of traffic jam. From NH12 meeting point through the railway underpass till Jalongi bridge this traffic jam continued . Both during in-bound / return journey, we faced this traffic jam and has to jump queue / drive in wrong lane to come out of it . Fortunately both the times we did not took more than 15 mins. However, its better to assume some more delay here.
  • Baharampur Bypass
    Faced moderate to light traffic in Baharampur bypass during return journey in early evening and almost no traffic during outbound journey at night
  • Maldah
    During outbound journey from Baharampur till Maldah Golden Park Hotel was a smooth ride. Malda bypass was excellent as ever. We halted in Maldah to avoid lockdown blues and started early morning next day. However, during return we faced traffic on Farakka bridge and Kaliachak ( 5 - 6 pm). Not to mention Kaliachak jam is now just a shade of its past after 4 laning.
  • Maldah Golden park hotel to NH27 Bagdogra crossing
    Started from Malda at early morning 5 AM. There are some patches of uneven road till Raiganj. A new toll plaza is getting constructed . Got moderate traffic in Raigunj during return journey
    Both the times, Karandighi was showing blue in Gmaps and Dalkhola was showing a short patch of red indicating there is not much traffic. But knowing Dalkhola and the fact this may be the last ride by Bengal to Bengal road (hoping Dalkhola ROB would be opened soon) we decided to take Botolbari-Dhantola route both times. Road surface towards Dhantola ( last 30 km) was very good except at the exit . First 30 km towards Botolbari, road was not good - but not too bad either. I have seen much worse .
    Islampur bypass - simply awesome
    There were patchwork done on NH 27 . Hence, did not find too many gaping craters.
  • NH27 Bagdogra crossing to Lebong
    We took left from NH27 towards NH327 from Bagdogra crossing during outbound journey. Then went through Bengdubi to Panighata bridge. Google maps was showing a right turn after Panighata bridge on Rishi road / Mirik Road routing us through Mirik. As going by Mirik or Rohini will take longer, we decided to take left turn from Panighata bridge to Rishi / Mirik road. Then at Dudhia we took a sharp right upwards to the road which will connect to Pankhabari road . I always liked Pankhabari road as it has less traffic, good road and you can reach much faster . But it is steep. Unless one is confident in driving in steep hilly roads it’s better to avoid this especially in bad weather. During return journey, to catch the same road, we need to take a right turn on Pankhabari road near Longview Tea garden where there is a temple and a police booth. Its very easy to miss the turn.
    At Kurseong, instead of taking a sharp left ( almost a U) towards Darjeeling its better you go straight and then take a U turn. Police asks vehicles not to take a sharp left as many vehicles cannot do it at one go leading to congestion. While returning, we did not need to come till Kurseong main crossing. Instead, just after crossing Kurseong tourist lodge there is a very sharp right turn connecting to Pankhabari road. Faced heavy traffic at Kurseong , Sonada during outbound journey as it was late morning. However, did not get much traffic while coming down. In Darjeeling we got traffic both the time especially during outbound journey

Timing

• From Dankuni crossing till Krishnagar intersection of NH12 took 2 hrs 20 mins to 2 hrs 30 mins during outbound (evening ) and return journey (night)
  • From 2nd hooghly toll to Maldah Golden Park hotel just after bypass : 6 hrs 35 mins (evening and night)
  • From Maldah Golden Park Hotel to NH27 at Bagdogra crossing : 4 hrs 10 mins
  • While returning, it took 12 hrs from NH27 at Bagdogra crossing to 2nd Hoogly toll - started at morning from Lebong

Some observations

• More than bad road surface, lack of wide roads or traffic congestion, one of the major problems in Kolkata -Siliguri route is barricades after barricades using drums and police barriers which slows down traffic especially due to trucks . No matter how good the highway is unless these barriers are removed we cannot get a smooth ride from Kolkata to Siliguri. Wonder what's the point in investing so much in highways for speedy journeys if we continue to reduce speed artificially?
  • Completion of Dalkhola flyover will of course make the journey a bit easier as one do not need to take B2B road dodging domestic animals and narrow roads. But it’s still far from solving the problem of making Kolkata Siliguri journey easy and comfortable and/or making it more predicable . How the traffic or road surface will hold up in SH6 only time will tell. Unless Raiganj, Karandighi, Baharampur bypass is constructed, Krishnanagar bottleneck is resolved , Kolkata Siliguri journey will continue to be a jigsaw puzzle.
brownianmotion is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 15:26   #1203
BHPian

Re: Route update on Kolkata - Siliguri - Darjeeling Nov 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Completion of Dalkhola flyover will of course make the journey a bit easier as one do not need to take B2B road dodging domestic animals and narrow roads.
Looks like, one-side of Dalkhola bypass ROB is now unofficially open! While bikes have been plying for quite sometime, now even buses have started using the new Dalkhola ROB. For one-side, the concrete blocks have been removed and the bitumen layer has been completed. Google Maps live traffic is now showing through traffic across the new ROB.

Of course, one needs to do a bit of mild off-roading at both ends of the bypass for sometime. Very similar things had happened also with the Malda bypass. Once the bridges were ready, people started using Malda bypass, even before approach roads were metaled.

A YouTube video by Mk views kng showing latest situation at Dalkhola ROB:

Last edited by gmhossain : 13th December 2021 at 15:29.
gmhossain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 16:46   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route update on Kolkata - Siliguri - Darjeeling Nov 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Looks like, one-side of Dalkhola bypass ROB is now unofficially open!
Hallelujah! After 75 years of independence we may get freedom to cruise on NH-34!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 15:59   #1205

I am looking to head to the hills this winter. The main destination will be Lava and Kalimpong. I am looking for some news regarding the road condition and the steepness of the roads from Siliguri to Lava via Gorubathan and Kalimpong from Lava and the alternative being Siliguri to Kalimpong via Rishi Road from Teesta Bazaar.

If anyone can let me know which road will be wider and have better road surface at most times and will be less steep then I will greatly appreciate that.

Distance and Time isn't a factor and since a Honda City will be tagging along with a driver who has never been to the hills before, I am looking for the easiest route to Kalimpong and Lava.
Old 21st December 2021, 21:07   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbishopofbhp View Post
I am looking to head to the hills this winter. The main destination will be Lava and Kalimpong. I am looking for some news regarding the road condition and the steepness of the roads from Siliguri to Lava via Gorubathan and Kalimpong from Lava and the alternative being Siliguri to Kalimpong via Rishi Road from Teesta Bazaar.
The route via Gorubathan is wide and less steep compared to the one through Teesta Bazaar. Driving through Teesta Bazaar to Kalimpong is ill advised for a first time driver to the hills because of some steep roads. Road condition is very good through Gorubathan and Lava and scenic to boot. Roads are wide till Lava and gets narrower after crossing Lava. Hope that helps. Have a wonderful trip.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 21st December 2021 at 21:19.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:06   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The route via Gorubathan is wide and less steep compared to the one through Teesta Bazaar. Driving through Teesta Bazaar to Kalimpong is ill advised for a first time driver to the hills because of some steep roads. Road condition is very good through Gorubathan and Lava and scenic to boot. Roads are wide till Lava and gets narrower after crossing Lava. Hope that helps. Have a wonderful trip.
Thanks a lot! The scenery on the way via Gorubathan truly is half the reason of driving to Lava
archbishopofbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 10:36   #1208
BHPian

I agree with Abhi_1512. I had driven along the Kalimpong- Lava- Gorubathan-Siliguri route for the first time in November when the highway was closed due to landslides. It's a slightly longer route but it's incredibly scenic, wide roads and with considerably less traffic. Have a great trip.
Old 6th January 2022, 00:30   #1209
BHPian

Request experts suggestions as to where to halt for the night.

In a few days, i would be driving from Guwahati to Kolkata. The logical night stop would be at Siliguri, but then the next day's journey would be long (esp with the night curfew in mind in case of road traffic delays). So alternatively, i am now thinking whether to stop at Raiganj instead. That is, do the 14 hrs drive from Guwahati so that the next day would be a relatively shorter drive to Kolkata. The routing I plan to follow from Siliguri is what has been wonderfully detailed in a few posts above.

I would be traveling with wife, so safety is also on my mind. I would really appreciate any suggestions on this.

Edit: I am mentioning Raiganj just because of the distance/drive time. If there is another alternate safe location to stop for the night, please suggest.

Last edited by DriverR : 6th January 2022 at 00:48. Reason: Added additional sentence
Old 8th January 2022, 13:30   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post

I would be traveling with wife, so safety is also on my mind. I would really appreciate any suggestions on this.

Edit: I am mentioning Raiganj just because of the distance/drive time. If there is another alternate safe location to stop for the night, please suggest.
Raigunj is a good option or you can go to Malda as well. Just an hour or hour an half from Raigunj. If you're staying in Malad then don't venture inside the city but stay near the Malda bypass.
hok kolorob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:51   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guwahati to Malda should be around 15 to 15.5 hrs. If you can stretch that long, Hotel Golden Park, at Malda will be the best option for an overnight halt.
The hotel is right on the highway, is clean & hygienic, has secured parking and a 24x7 check in and check out facility. Because it's on the highway you won't have any issues even if you breach the curfew hours, as highways do not fall under curfew restrictions.

The hotel is safe for a family stay, as I have availed of their facilities multiple number of times, till now, without regret. Yes, they might be a bit on the expensive side, but in these pandemic riddled times, it's better to be safe,(fingers crossed), than sorry.

Malda to Kolkata you should be able to cover between 7-7.5 hrs in a relaxed way.

Mask up & Drive safe,

Best,
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:00   #1212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

In a few days, i would be driving from Guwahati to Kolkata
Agree with @Arjab above, Guwahati to Malda shouldn’t take more than 15 hours with relaxed driving and Golden Park is right on the highway just before Malda Bypass. Also, one small bit to mention, if entering Siliguri is not the idea then do take the Odlabaari- Gazoldoba- Ghoshpukur bypass route to connect back to NH 31. That way, you will bypass the Siliguri traffic completely and will save you the hassles and time as well. Have a safe journey.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 21:12   #1213
BHPian

Thank you for all the many responses and suggestions. I had to postpone my trip for now due to the rising COVID cases. But I would have to do this drive sooner or later as I need to bring my vehicle from Guwahati for use in Kolkata. So I would definately look at Malda as an option to halt. Good to hear that highways are exempt from the curfew timing as I was thinking I had to leave very early so as to reach well before curfew starts.
Old 9th January 2022, 21:24   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Agree with @Arjab above, Guwahati to Malda shouldn’t take more than 15 hours with relaxed driving and Golden Park is right on the highway just before Malda Bypass. Also, one small bit to mention, if entering Siliguri is not the idea then do take the Odlabaari- Gazoldoba- Ghoshpukur bypass route to connect back to NH 31. That way, you will bypass the Siliguri traffic completely and will save you the hassles and time as well. Have a safe journey.

Regards.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yup, I have no interest to go through Siliguri town. Google Maps incidently is showing the bypass route you mentioned as part of the fastest route.
Old 11th January 2022, 00:19   #1215

I recently did a short trip to Lava and Darjeeling around the time it snowed!

Interestingly the Nabadwip route always seems to have lot more traffic than the old Futishako route unless its night. And for us, since we crossed both these routes during day, the pothole ridden 30kms of Futishako-Kuli and the amazing roads before and after led to us saving lot more time than the Nabadwip route which only seems like a good choice for me during night drives.

The potholes were not even a slight hindrance for the Honda City and it would only be more effortless for SUVs to glide over these at very good pace.

Overall we did Kolkata-Siliguri and Siliguri-Kolkata in just under 14 hours both times including three food breaks, regular stretching and bio breaks, moderate traffic while crossing towns on the highway and occasional traffic snarls after returning to Kolkata due to New Year's Eve.

Most interesting part of our trip would be taking the Dalkhola Bypass Flyover. It is yet to be complete as gmhossain sir mentioned. But the off-road patches in the beginning and end are totally insignificant as it surely was for us too, even with a measly 165mm ground clearance.

This absolutely is going to end up as the biggest boon for us North Bengal lovers in the coming days.

Some times the flyover itself tends to be barricaded to prevent four wheelers to cross but fret not.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-screenshot-20220110-11.53.27-pm.png

I had to take this very slight detour (which Google Maps will show on its own and also asking around will get you very helpful directions) and join the current Two-Lane NH12 from the flyover till just before the rail gate and then immediately cross Dalkhola.

Now the only major section left to be complete is the Krishnanagar-Behrampore stretch and also some small stretches from Behrampore till Moregram.
Any idea as to when these portions will get completed?

As it stands right now, assuming Dalkhola Bypass is accessible in a month or two, Kolkata-Siliguri would be effortlessly a 12hr affair. And once all of it becomes 4 laned, one can only begin to imagine

I will try to write a TL to better share my experiences from this recent trip if I get more time.
archbishopofbhp is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks