Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 22:21   #1141
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Hello Golam-da,

You, being the most knowledgeable person on the Calcutta-Siliguri route, do you have any latest piece of news of the Dalkhola flyover? I think it was last reported that the flyover will be ready by Feb, 2021.

Also, please share if you are aware of developments in the Raiganj - Dalkhola section?

Best Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I am bit curious to know: was there an accident or something similar? After the comprehensive road repair, nowadays an hour-long jam on the Farraka barrage has become very rare (Although it used to be a routine affair earlier).

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=halw_yhfQo0
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:08   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
... do you have any latest piece of news of the Dalkhola flyover? I think it was last reported that the flyover will be ready by Feb, 2021.
Unfortunately, it's still not open. It seems unless election is over no one is now bothered to give next round of "revised timeline".

Quote:
Also, please share if you are aware of developments in the Raiganj - Dalkhola section?
The widening work of Raiganj-Dalkhola section is progressing well with scheduled completion by early next year. However, Dalkhola bypass stretch of 5.5 kms is a separate project and being executed by a different but smaller company. This would be the height of irony if Raiganj-Dalkhola section becomes a toll road by this year-end but Dalkhola railway over bridge remains incomplete.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:06   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Discovered one more short stretch to avoid the Morgram- Nakpur mess. Coming from Siliguri, going straight up Moregram crossing and around 6 kms before Polsanda toll, one has to take a right to meet the Nabagram- Panchgram road to meet the SH7 at Panchgram. The road surface is brilliant and newly paved.
I took the the Nabagram-Panchgram road yesterday and no doubt surface is brilliant . I now recall to have taken this road few years ago as well. This time I find that the truck traffic along SH-7 has gone up at an alarmingly high level. Generally, I take NH-12 route and after seeing so many truck traffic, my guess, is that the traffic congestion could become a regular affair even along SH-7 soon.

Along NH-12, with the ongoing widening work it's now a messy affair between Jaguli and Krishnanagar. Luckily, in this stretch there are no more traffic jams and for a significant part between Gobindapur and Krishnanagar, the traffic is already diverted to use the newly built lane while the old lane is being scrapped out!

Nabagram - Panchgram Road (Apr 2021):
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-nproad.png

Newly built lane of NH-12 near Dignagar (Apr 2021)
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-nh12dignagar.png

Last edited by gmhossain : 7th April 2021 at 20:07.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 22:51   #1144
BHPian

I'll be heading home to Kurseong tomorrow. I plan to leave around midnight from Ballygunge, Kolkata. Should I take SH-7 or NH-12?
Old 8th April 2021, 22:54   #1145
BHPian

I'm planning to head home to Kurseong tomorrow. I plan to leave around midnight from Ballygunge, Kolkata. Should I take NH-12 or SH -7 ?
Old 9th April 2021, 13:16   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisfish View Post
I'm planning to head home to Kurseong tomorrow. I plan to leave around midnight from Ballygunge, Kolkata. Should I take NH-12 or SH -7 ?
In last one week, I traveled through both the routes . Frankly, if I were at your position of starting at midnight, as of now I would take NH-12 route without a second thought. If you do so then please stick to NH-12 and don't take any shortcuts suggested by GMaps, unless you know what you are doing.

Best,

Last edited by gmhossain : 9th April 2021 at 13:27.
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 16:58   #1147
BHPian

Thanks mr. gmhossain for your advice. We left last night at 12.30 and reached Siliguri by 2.30PM. GMaps had provided an estimated travel time of 14 hours. Since we took breaks totalling to an hour, it was a 13 hour drive. This was my third drive in the past 2 years to Siliguri from Kolkata and the second time when I decided to take the NH-12 route and I must admit that road conditions along the route are the best I have seen so far.
Kolkata-Krishnagar: mostly 2 lane so people who like to travel at night like me will have a tough time with the high beams from on-coming traffic.
Krishnanagar-Berhampore-Farakka: Smooth sailing throughout. Kaliachak and Sujapur - no sweat! While approaching the barrage, GMaps warned about a familiar congestion before the entry point. I knew exactly what I had to do. Turned around while I could and looked for the nearest entry point for the 'wrong side. Nonetheless got held up for 20 mins at the barrage.
Farakka-Raiganj-Domohona-Islampur (Bypass) : It was smooth sailing once again upto Raiganj. Raiganj desperately needs a bypass. Never got stuck anywhere but it couldn't go above 20 kph for a long time. Lost a lot of time in Raiganj. This was my first Bengal to Bengal via Domohona. Well paved roads all through to Dhantola. Chakulia-Domohona road is quite narrow. My driver side ORVM high-fived an Eon's ORVM when none of us wanted to step off the shoulder. Once I was on the Dhantola- Rasukhowa Road, no such problems. Took the Islampur Bypass for the first time and made up for some lost time.
Islampur-Bagdogra-Siliguri : No problem. Some work is going just before reaching Bagdogra so there are a few diversions but I guess that will be sorted out soon as well. I was worried about more than usual chaotic traffic in Siliguri due to our PM's visit but luckily it was just the usual chaos.

Although it took me 13 hours for the drive, it's still less than what I had clocked during my other drives. I drive a 2019 Grand i10 Nios (Petrol, Manual). I don't feel confident going above 100 kmph. However, there is a marked improvement in the condition of roads along the route. If anyone is planning to drive to North Bengal from Kolkata, now would be a good time.
nisfish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:41   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

6. Nakpur - Moregram: 3.5 Kms of pure, unadulterated off road. In fact it's become worse than what I faced in December '20. Smaller the car & shorter the overhangs, the better off you are!
This stretch has been repaired now.
nisfish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 23:17   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
do you have any latest piece of news of the Dalkhola flyover? I think it was last reported that the flyover will be ready by Feb, 2021.
Recently I have seen one video on youtube, which says that work is progressing smoothly. This video is only two motnhs old and here is the link:-

I am sorry I do not have any more update on this.
Regards.
rahul4640 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:37   #1150
BHPian

Dada,

Many thanks for the update. Summarizing the video:
- the vlogger says that the bypass construction is complete except 3 bridges/flyovers
- he estimates around 6 months of work is remaining.

Both are his assessment.

Thanks,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Recently I have seen one video on Youtube, which says that work is progressing smoothly. This video is only two motnhs old and here is the link..Regards.

Last edited by sayakc : 21st April 2021 at 11:39.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 09:34   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
do you have any latest piece of news of the Dalkhola flyover?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Recently I have seen one video on Youtube, which says that work is progressing smoothly.
It looks like, the work on the most crucial step has now began. The launching of steel girders over the railway tracks has started at Dalkhola ROB. After 15 long years of waiting, will the jinx of Dalkhola break this time?

Launching of steel girders at Dalkhola Railway-Over-Bridge
gmhossain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 12:05   #1152
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this, Golam-da! This is an excellent piece of news and its completion will definitely alter the geography of the route that we take while travelling to North Bengal.

While driving to North Bengal I find that SH7 and Bengal to Bengal sections gives me some kind of a headache and I get under pressure of crossing these sections as soon as possible. The "calmness" of driving on a 4 lane highway is overtaken by the "pressure" thing when driving on the 2lane/1lane sections.

Lets hope the completion happens this year!

Cheers & Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
It looks like, the work on the most crucial step has now began. The launching of steel girders over the railway tracks has started at Dalkhola ROB. After 15 long years of waiting, will the jinx of Dalkhola break this time?

Launching of steel girders at Dalkhola Railway-Over-Bridge
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 01:08   #1153
BHPian

Came across a youtube video. Looks like girder erection is complete

bong_voyager is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:57   #1154
BHPian

Dear BHPians
Though this thread is all about Kolkata Siliguri route still I would like to apprise you of an attempted robbery that was tried on me while my return from Siliguri to Raxaul since the place where this happened is quite close to Siliguri.
The place was Jokihat just near the bailey bridge on NH327, NH327 is newly black topped & now a marvel to travel.
Jokihat is around 30kms after Araria if you are coming from Darbhanga side & going towards northeast.
After Jokihat comes Thakurganj & Bahadurganj & then you enter West Bengal.
What happened was exactly like this....
1)It was just after the bailey bridge I had to slow down as a bike ahead was suddenly braking & again moving.
2)A 2nd bike from behind just hit my rear bumper very lightly & I ignored it as it would hardly even scratch & since I had another 400 km to reach home, I decided to move ahead without getting into an altercation.
3)But the 2nd bike who hit me from behind started abusing me at which I stopped my car.
4)Immediately the biker from behind got down from his bike & started hammering my side window which I could not take any more & I gauged out this guy’s physical structure which was short & thin, so I came out of my car.
5)Before getting verbal that guy gave a punch to my face which broke my specs & I also hit him hard so he fell on the ground.
6)Then I realised that bike at the front also was there & immediately another 3 bikes came & around 5 persons put be down on the road side.
7)One guy wanted to open the passenger door as he saw 2 mobile sets on the passenger seat.
8)Since this was 8.30 in the morning though this place was lonely other bikers stopped to see what is going on & some bikers tried to help me but they were also threatened.
9)I had got up from the ground & found that these bikers had suddenly escaped without further harming me.
10)There was front camera DVR in the camera but it was not active probably they escaped seeing the camera

A guy told me to immediately leave the place which I did & after 10 minutes I saw a police car which I stopped & and narrated the incident.
There was an ASI who was sympathetic but also told me that they are willing to take an FIR but it would take time & I have a long way to travel. So, I went off & the next 2 hours I drove being shaken & disturbed, nothing was stolen from my car.

I had talked to some of my colleagues who belong to Darbhanga /Purnea side & they said that this area is troublesome & not to venture solo but again some saying that you can drive solo but with some basic SOPs in mind.

Sheel since you are from Purnea any idea about this route being unsafe??

Regards

Samrat
Samratrek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:28   #1155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Jokihat is around 30kms after Araria if you are coming from Darbhanga side & going towards
I had talked to some of my colleagues who belong to Darbhanga /Purnea side & they said that this area is troublesome & not to venture solo but again some saying that you can drive solo but with some basic SOPs in mind.

Sheel since you are from Purnea any idea about this route being unsafe??

Regards

Samrat
Please avoid this route if you guys can.

I think, I have said this earlier too.

Issue is, nowadays, there is a huge congestion in Dalkola and one is forced to take this route. I take this route only at night, in a SUV and with only males onboard.

If you have to take this route, do so very cautiously and do not speed, there are too many uneducated cyclists, cattles etc on the road, one small nudge and they are upon you.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks