Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 13:23   #1276
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

What is the best route to Durgapur from North Bengal i.e. after Morgram, in terms of road surface and traffic?

GMaps show 2 options:
1. via Bolpur-Ilambazar-Panagarh
2. via Siuri-Dubarajpur

and as far as I remember, this is the overnight bus route from Siliguri:
3. Siuri-Dubarajpur-Ilambazar-Panagarh

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-screenshot-20221005-12.42.56.png

Or is there another option?
Old 5th October 2022, 19:02   #1277
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I'm currently on Puja Vacation drive of two weeks with my family including my 2 yrs old daughter, begun on 1st Oct from Jamshedpur and am in Darjeeling now, will return by 14th Oct.

The route I've taken ----

Jamshedpur - Purulia - Asansol - Dumka - Bhagalpur - Naugachia - Purnia - Araria - Thakurganj - Bahadurganj - Siliguri - SimanaBazar - SukhiaPokhri - Manebhanjan - Rimbick - Bijanbari - Darjeeling - Rishop - Jaldapara National Park (Dooars) - Murti/Lataguri - Siliguri and back via same route as I came from.

Road conditions from Dumka to Siliguri is good and best, no major potholes to shake the suspension.
Road between Asansol and Dumka is bad not worse.
Road between Sukhia-Pokri and Manebhanjan in the district of Darjeeling is worse enough to test suspension and tyres for 45 minutes to cover only 6 kms.

I'm driving the Honda BRV so ground clearance and suspension is nothing to worry about.

Currently it is cloudy in Darjeeling after good rains yesterday and am here till 8th.

Regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:52   #1278
BHPian

We are back from yet another quick road trip to offbeat Darjeeling from Kolkata.
Onward journey started on Saturday early morning 4:30 am. Dankuni was choked as per google maps and suggested to take the traditional barasat route. Jams started from Madyamgram itself, some wrong side driving helped. However after crossing krishnanagar, traffic on both sides were standstill. We lost almost 2 hrs, even with aggressive offloading wherever possible. Decided to call it a day at 3:30 pm at Golden Park, Malda. Next day resumed at 9 AM, till Siliguri it was buttery easy after opening of Karandighi bypass. The road surface after Dalkhola was potholed but manageable. Again huge traffic jams at Siliguri Sevok and all the way upto Tista bazaar. We reached Lamahatta around 5:30 PM through the more steep and difficult route, although road surface was excellent. The road was narrow at places for a wide body vehicle like Safari to negotiate the oncoming traffic. However the local drivers were helpful and allowed right of the way to the vehicles going uphill. Instead of showing arrogance to the novice hill driver like me, they allowed me ample time to pass.

After enjoying clear and sunny weather for a couple of days, it was rains all the way during the return journey till Siliguri. This time, the hotel owner at Lamahatta insisted me to avoid the landslide prone route through sevok. We instead took the longer route through Kurseong and my favorite Rohini road.
From Siliguri to Kolkata, Newtown was an uneventful 12.5 hrs journey with 2 hours of breaks starting at 7:00 AM from Siliguri.

Updates on road conditions:
1. The Mogra Kalna route to Krishnanagar is still the best available one to take in terms of road surface. After Kalna, it can hardly be called as highway as there is dense population and heavy local traffic on both sides. The Kolkata Krishnanagar stretch remains the solitary painpoint in the entire route.

2. Krishnanagar Beharampur - no updates, frequent switch between double and 4 laned roads, one can maintain decent speeds.

3. Beharampur Malda - Roads have slowed down due to potholes and frequently placed speed barricades. Instead of discouraging unofficial cuts through the medians, the authorities seems to promote them by barricading the highways to allow safe crossover through these unofficial cuts.

4.Malda Siliguri - Fastest and the best stretch specially till Dalkhola and after crossing Krishanganj. The entire stretch may be covered within 3 to 4 hrs. There's no need to take a halt at Malda/Raiganj. This stretch is almost stress free and negligible addition in the entire route.

5.E rickshaws (Totos) have been a pain throughout the route and seems to have doubled in the last few months. Now they carry everything from groceries to pipes and king sized beds, possibly due to lower running costs and high fuel prices. Few days back, I read a newspaper article that India's EV journey is not about Teslas but is being driven by the E rickshaws. Good or bad - rural bengal is the frontrunner in vehicle electrification.
black_panther is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:16   #1279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Purnia - Araria - Thakurganj - Bahadurganj - Siliguri -
I am sorry, but why are you taking this route? This route is under construction and it will take you at least an hour if not more than Dalkola - Kishangunj - Islampur route.

Purnia - Dalkola route currently is full of craters, but, it is a matter of ~40 kilometers, Dalkola - Kishangunj isn't very good, but somewhat manageable. The surface in the return journey (Siliguri - Dalkola & towards Purnia) is better.

Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:42   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am sorry, but why are you taking this route? This route is under construction and it will take you at least an hour if not more than Dalkola - Kishangunj - Islampur route.

Purnia - Dalkola route currently is full of craters, but, it is a matter of ~40 kilometers, Dalkola - Kishangunj isn't very good, but somewhat manageable. The surface in the return journey (Siliguri - Dalkola & towards Purnia) is better.

Thanks.
Dear Brother,

Thanks for the input.

I take this very route every year in my trip from Jharkhand to North Bengal/Siliguri.
Construction for flyovers/ PCC Lane is on for a few kilometers around Bahadurgunj/Thakurganj BUT I did not find much traffic which could slow me down on 2nd Oct. At the five/six construction sites the diversion was of only 50 meters each,that too without traffic at around 11-12 Noon. Last year in March-April'2021 I covered Bhagalpur to Siliguri in under 6 hours and this time too I covered the stretch of 300+kms from Bhagalpur to Siliguri via Araria in under 6 hours.

In my few drives on this Bihar stretch I've found that after Naugachia there is nominal traffic and one can easily cruise at 90-100 kmph on the stretch of Naugachia - Purnia - Araria - Bahadurganj - Thakurganj - Siliguri.
As compared to the horrendous traffic around Bhagalpur/Asansol/Purulia i find the Bihar highway stretch between Naugachia and Siliguri a free flowing river.

Moreover I drive maximum of 6-7 hours each day between 7 AM and 2 PM because I travel along with old parents, wife and my 2 yrs old daughter.
So I always have additional time in case of traffic jams or major diversions.
People in my place drive from Jamshedpur to Darjeeling continuously in around 18 hours by beginning early morning and reaching Darjeeling by dinner.
I drive the same stretch in three days

Today there is lot of fog in Darjeeling.

Thanks and regards,

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 6th October 2022 at 10:53.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 18:13   #1281
BHPian

While we are thankful to you for providing a comprehensive road update, what we miss are the travelogues and photos . When can we see that, Arjun?

Subho Bijoya and Cheers!
Sayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_panther View Post
We are back from yet another quick road trip to offbeat Darjeeling from Kolkata.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 18:52   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
While we are thankful to you for providing a comprehensive road update, what we miss are the travelogues and photos . When can we see that, Arjun?

Subho Bijoya and Cheers!
Sayak
Subho Bijoya Sayak and other fellow bhpians on this thread.

My road trips are strategically squeezed in between long weekends or holidays taking care of my work schedules and my son's school/exams. Our trips are focussed on quick transits with little time to relax.

Having said that, recently some coworkers also encouraged me to write travel blogs. I'm giving it a serious thought. Thanks for your encouragement.

Stay in touch!
Arjun.
black_panther is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 16:04   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Dear Brother,

Thanks for the input.

I take this very route every year in my trip from Jharkhand to North Bengal/Siliguri.
Construction for flyovers/ PCC Lane is on for a few kilometers around Bahadurgunj/Thakurganj BUT I did not find much traffic which could slow me down on 2nd Oct. At the five/six construction sites the diversion was of only 50 meters each,that too without traffic at around 11-12 Noon. Last year in March-April'2021 I covered Bhagalpur to Siliguri in under 6 hours and this time too I covered the stretch of 300+kms from Bhagalpur to Siliguri via Araria in under 6 hours.

In my few drives on this Bihar stretch I've found that after Naugachia there is nominal traffic and one can easily cruise at 90-100 kmph on the stretch of Naugachia - Purnia - Araria - Bahadurganj - Thakurganj - Siliguri.
As compared to the horrendous traffic around Bhagalpur/Asansol/Purulia i find the Bihar highway stretch between Naugachia and Siliguri a free flowing river.

Thanks and regards,
Dear BHPians,

My two week's drive vacation of Darjeeling and Dooars is over, am on my way back home to Jharkhand today.

I've taken the same Siliguri-Araria-Purnea-Bhagalpur-Godda route as I had come from.

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-img_20221013_153040.jpg

For the aprox 340 kms, I drove a little over 6 hours on this route today, including two breaks of 10 minutes each. Yes there were minor diversions due to construction work but only at around 10 spots.

Thanks and regards.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 13th October 2022 at 16:11. Reason: Foolproof
Old 14th October 2022, 18:01   #1284

Hello all! I did my first long road trip this pooja holidays. The initial plan was to do Kolkata to Duars, however we managed to include Lava and Mirik as well. As a background, I started driving from January 2022. That’s when I bought Glanza CVT. Before this trip, I had done Kolkata to Bakkhali and Kolkata to Digha in May-June 2022.

This post is strictly about my driving experience and road conditions.
Brief itinerary follows. Road condition and driving experience will be in my next post .

Started from Kolkata at 5:00 AM
Night halt at WBTDCL Raigunj – reached Raigunj at 7:30 PM

Started from Raigunj at 5:45 AM
Reached Gorumara at 12:00(booked stay at Aranya Jungle Resort)
Started for Gorubathan at 2:30 PM, but decided to have some adventure and went up to Lava by 4:45 PM. Spent some time there and started for Gorumara at 5:30 PM and reached the hotel by 8 PM.

Shifted to WBTDCL’s Murti Tourist lodge the next day , which is some 15-20 km from Gorumara
Went up to Jhalong in the afternoon and came back by evening.

Shifted to WBTDCL’s Jaldapara Tourist lodge, which is approx. 65-70 KM from Murti, ~ 2 Hrs drive
Did Jeep Safari, spotted Rhino, Elephants and loads of peacocks

Moved to Siliguri, Mainak Tourist Lodge (2:30 hrs drive)
Having experienced driving up to Lava, decided to touch Mirik as well. It was a three hours drive from Mainak Tourist Lodge. Visited some nearby pandals in the evening in Siligudi.

Checked out from Siliguri at 9 AM and checked-in at Berhampore WBTDCL Tourism Property at 4:30 PM

Checked out from Berhampore at around 6 AM and reached Kolkata by 12:00

As suggested by the Gurus here, I took the Kolkata - Dankuni - Nabadwip - Krishnanagar-Berhampore - Malda-Raigunj-Dalkhola-Islampur-Gorumara route. Total distance covered was 1893 KM, fuel consumption rate was >20 KM/L (as opposed to 12.5- 13.0 KM/L I get when I drive in city)

Now on to my driving experience and the road condition:

Kolkata to Krishnanagar
Experienced heavy traffic jam just before Santragachi Station. By heavy, I mean, engines-turned-off-standstill-hopeless heavy traffic jam. After spending almost 55 mins in such conditions, my wife decided to call Kolkata Traffic Police helpline number and sure enough traffic started moving within 5 minutes. Couldn’t find any reason for this traffic jam as we gradually moved on to free-flowing traffic. Spotted 2 traffic policemen, who looked like they have just woken up, directing traffic flow, a few hundred meters away from the place we were standing still.
Just before Dankuni , experienced slow moving traffic but didn’t mind it at all because of my experience at Santragachi.
Dankuni – Delhi Road – Mogra was breeze, 4 Lane road, less traffic, decent speed.
From Mogra till Nabadweep, state highway is also very good except first 3-4 KMs stretch. You will get sufficiently long stretches with minimal traffic where you can maintain decent speed.
Nabadweep to Krishnanagar
Average to below average road. Also experienced traffic jam because of Chanda collection for Durga Pooja.

Krishnanagar to Behramore
Due to construction of National Highway, below average to bad road with lots of traffic diversions in and around Krishnanagar for ~10 KM. Here I would also like to mention that we planned to have our breakfast at Mothers’ Hut Restaurant which is further down the road towards Kolkata on NH-12. This “detour” for Breakfast costed us almost 40 minutes. Restaurant was good with clean loos and all, but there was some expansion work going on and the food was not that great.
Once you move out of highway construction zone from Krishnanagar, road till Berhampore is above average to good with lane closure at few places.

Berhampore to Raigunj
I took Berhampore bypass on NH-12 which was a little crowded due to Durga Pooja celebrations. NH-12.
Road condition is above average to good once you join the NH-12 again with a bottleneck in Farakka (took ~30 mins to cross it due to slow moving traffic)
However, I must mention frequent occurrence of traffic barrier on the highway, wherever there is cut in the media (and there are many cuts in the median), which greatly affect your average speed.
Another thing worth mentioning is deceptively bad condition of road in form of sudden bulges/potholes in a ~20 KM stretch from Moregram. However, road condition was good on the opposing lane as I found out on my return journey.
Lost precious hour before raigunj due to lane closure on account of NH-12 construction and on Raigunj Bypass due to Pooja crowd. However, in return journey, there was no lane closure after raigunj bypass (towards Kolkata) and it looked like both lanes had been opened for traffic in the meanwhile.

Raigunj to Gorumara
Butter smooth road till Dalkhola. Didn’t experience the dreaded Dalkhola traffic. The flyover where one lane had been opened for traffic is sufficiently wide to handle the usual traffic. Only ~1-2 KM road was in bad condition as you cross Dalkhola.
Dalkhola to Kishangunj – Road condition is average.
As you cross Kishanganj bad condition of road for ~1-2 KM when you have to take diversion.
Once you are on highway, from Kishanganj to Islampur road condition is above average, except some initial 20 odd KM from Kishanganj which I would put as average to below average. However, this problem was not there on the opposing lane)
From Islampur to Gorumara was again butter smooth road. Even when you get off the National Highway, the local roads are good and because of less traffic you can maintain good speed.

Road conditions in Dooars was Good to very good. Road to Lava was also sufficiently wide and good (except 4-5 instances of 50-100 meter stretch which were bad due to landslide that must have happened during monsoon). Same goes for Mirik.

I found that road /Traffic condition was a little better while returning to Kolkata. As mentioned above, bad stretches around Kishanganj and Moregram were largely absent.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th October 2022 at 21:43. Reason: Please edit or multi quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
rvts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 11:22   #1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvts View Post
Hello all! I did my first long road trip this pooja holidays. The initial plan was to do Kolkata to Duars, however we managed to include Lava and Mirik as well. As a background, I started driving from January 2022. That’s when I bought Glanza CVT. Before this trip, I had done Kolkata to Bakkhali and Kolkata to Digha in May-June 2022.
Some pictures from the trip

1. Tea garden enroute Samsing

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805340.jpg

2. Lava

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805455.jpg

3. Road through Gorumara

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805492.jpg

4. Tea Garden infront of Gorumara Forest

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805522.jpg

5.Rocky Island

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805553.jpg

6. Jhalong View Point Jaldhaka River
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805585.jpg

7. Enroute Jaldapara from Murti

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-1665753805653.jpg
rvts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:13   #1286
BHPian

Other BHPians have already shared their recent updates on the Kolkata - Siliguri route. Here are few updates from my side based on our drive to Arunachal Pradesh during Pujo holidays.

I think, overall it was the smoothest ever (also fastest) drive for me along Kolkata - Siliguri route. We started from Jaldapara at around 5:20 am and reached Mothers Hut at Krishnanagar at 6:20 pm covering nearly 600 km in a sedate drive. In between, we had a 30 min breakfast break at Ghoshpukur, 20 min bio break at Raiganj, 40 min lunch break at Pardeshi Dhaba, Malda and 20 min bio/fuel break at BP Morgram.

Krishnanagar - Barajaguli (NH-12): After a leisurely dinner at Mothers Hut, we resumed at 7:40 pm. We took NH-12 route and reached home at 9:20 pm. The widening work for this section is progressing really well. I am expecting in ~6 months from now, Kalyani Expy/NH-12 route to become faster than Mogra-Nabadwip route for reaching Krishnanagar from Kolkata.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 13:26   #1287
BHPian

Returned from a North Bengal trip ex. Kolkata (Jalpaiguri-Durgapur). In addition to very accurate description of roads by rvts above, here are some details:

1. Google Maps was dark red for 2-3 kms at AH1-SH13 road junction*. Took the Howrah Bridge-Salkia-Uttarpara to connect to SH13. Even if GT Road is narrow and there is a railway crossing at Uttarpara, we started at 5:30 AM from Kolkata home so was able to get on SH13 quickly. Would recommend this route in case of jams but only until dawn.

2. Mothers' Hut detour of 5 kms from Nabadwip cross at Krishnanagar was worth IMO. Food was average, but presentation, swiftness, and cleanliness of toilets in a stretch where such stuff are rare, is very much welcome.

3. Tolls in WB are higher than they should be, because they don't save time enough. Barriers, occasional blocking of one carriageway (case in point - just after Bethuadahari toll, the right carriageway is closed and probably has been so since several years, based on the foliage growth), and free run of e-rickshaws (saw a person jumping from a running one, that is how slow they ply) on the highway put a slap on your face every time you pay Rs. 85-95 for tolls. The stretch between Morgram-Dhuliyan was also bad. Most frustrating is the Surjapur Toll Plaza, with really bad surface between Dalkhola and Islampur.

4. Farakka Barrage has probably the same road surface since it was built. It is ridiculous that they charge Rs. 130 at 18th mile just after, more so given mismanagement of truck traffic there too, and signals at Kaliachak and Gayeshbari cross (Sujapur) instead of flyovers.

5. Best stretch was Raiganj-Dalkhola, Islampur Bypass, and Fulbari-Jalpaiguri. Hope they complete the small 4-5 kms stretch of single lane at Fulbari quickly.

6. Most scenic stretch was Islampur-Bagdogra, with tea gardens on both sides. But one should be careful as the road surface is not good at culverts and bridges.

7. We took the Bagdogra-Medical More-Noukaghat stretch instead of Ghoshpukur-Fulbari bypass as it was showing long red at one point in it.

We stopped over at Malda (Golden Park Hotel). Kolkata-Malda was 10.5 hours including 2.5 hours break, and Malda-Jalpaiguri was 6.5 hours with 1.5 hours break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
route to Durgapur from North Bengal
8. After reading about the namesake of this thread, and studying traffic patterns between Sujapur and Farakka almost every day we stayed in NB, decided to take the BR-JH route on way back to Durgapur. Return carriageway is much better between Islampur and Purnea. WB-BR border area was in shambles though, but I liked the scientifically desiged truck checkpost on either side, similar to MH/ GJ.

9. After Purnea it is 2-laned highway but excellent surface and wide shoulders, till Bhagalpur. The Kosi bridge section is very scenic. The Vikramshila bridge is many times better than Farakka in surface.

10. Bhagalpur-Hansdiha was average, with slow cross-roads and market areas but good surface between towns.

11. Highlight of the trip: Jharkhand roads. In one word, awesome! Hansdiha-Dumka-Nala was a saviour for us. The roads wind through hills and forests, and even though 2-laned, has wide shoulders. Hats off to the state administration for providing fast stretches even on state highways without charging tolls.

12. You'll know you're back in Bengal when you cross Ajay river after Nala. A stretch of 1 km is pure off-road. From there, a pothole-ridden road with several boards proudly announcing that the excuse of that road is maintained by PWD, brought us to Kalla more in Asansol.

13. Asansol-Durgapur is "developed country" class. You can ask people at home to prepare tea when you start from Asansol, and you can reach Durgapur in time - those 35 kms were that great.

It took 11 hours of drive time and 3 hours of breaks from Jalpaiguri to Durgapur via BR-JH. Average speed was higher than WB route, even if latter had more stretches of 4-lane^.

14. Durgapur-Burdwan is WIP, and probably is being 6-laned. The traffic there could definitely use that extra lane. After Burdwan, road surface is bad with uneven patches and potholes on patches.

*In general, there is a severe administrative problem in handling city-inbound trucks. When we arrived in Kolkata (from BLR) in Sep, we faced an hour long jam at Andul cross on NH16/ AH46. When returning from Durgapur, again faced similar jam at Dankuni before toll plaza, though there is a dedicated lane for cars but that lane did not extend all the way back to prevent waste of time. While standing still, also observed similar long jam on SH13 at that junction.

Reason? Firstly, traffic signals instead of flyovers. All junctions within 20-25 kms of city limits should have flyovers. Both NHAI and State Govt. saved money by not building them, instead lazily put a workaround that invalidates paying tolls.

Secondly, 4 lanes are not enough. At least 6 lanes AND 2+2 service lanes should be there. Trucks do not have enough space to park. The entire stretch from Burdwan bypass to Joypur Bil was a long parking lot of trucks (on the shoulder). One can imagine the impact to the other lanes. After that, you pay Rs. 75 toll as rubbing salt on wound.

I have driven to all metros (except New Delhi), and nowhere have seen a mess like this. Because they have more lanes/ flyovers at the very least, apart from well-accessible and big enough truck terminals and rest areas.

^No amount of 4/6 lanes can make drive time between 2 most important cities of Bengal as it should be, unless administration does what is needed to prevent the slowdowns. So far, land acquisition was the problem we heard. Now that lanes are there, e-rickshaws and barriers more than enough compensate for the gain.
mayukh42 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 23:18   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Returned from a North Bengal trip ex. Kolkata (Jalpaiguri-Durgapur). In addition to very accurate description of roads by rvts above, here are some details:

1. Google Maps was dark red for 2-3 kms at AH1-SH13 road junction*. Took the Howrah Bridge-Salkia-Uttarpara to connect to SH13. Even if GT Road is narrow and there is a railway crossing at Uttarpara, we started at 5:30 AM from Kolkata home so was able to get on SH13 quickly. Would recommend this route in case of jams but only until dawn.

I have driven to all metros (except New Delhi), and nowhere have seen a mess like this. Because they have more lanes/ flyovers at the very least, apart from well-accessible and big enough truck terminals and rest areas.

^No amount of 4/6 lanes can make drive time between 2 most important cities of Bengal as it should be, unless administration does what is needed to prevent the slowdowns. So far, land acquisition was the problem we heard. Now that lanes are there, e-rickshaws and barriers more than enough compensate for the gain.
Having spent my childhood at the Uttarpara region and still having an ancestral house at that place, it's not that the route did not come to my mind. However considering the narrow connecting streets between the GT road and the railway lines, didn't venture that in the morning. I think that was the worst decision and frequent truck jams in the Madhyamgram - Ranaghat stretch delayed us a lot. Although the surface and diversions have become manageable in that section, the unpredictability of the truck jams on NH12 still holds good, hence SH13 remains the preferred route in the Kolkata - Krishnanagar stretch.

Travellers considering the route through Uttarpara to avoid the traffic jams in/around Dankuni, may take the Birla road underpass at Hindmotor instead of the railgate at Uttarpara. Also if the GT road is clear, then drive all the way upto Sreerampore and then drive towards Delhi road (SH13) to avoid the narrower TN Mukherjee road at Uttarpara.

Regarding the traffic situations on the 4/6 laned tolled Indian highways - Earlier I did believe that E-rickshaws are the biggest mess possible, until my recent Orissa - Chhattisgarh trip. Herds of cattle on the highways can pose a stiff competition in terms of causing chaos on the otherwise superb highways at Orissa.

Last edited by black_panther : 15th October 2022 at 23:23. Reason: Typographical error
black_panther is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 09:52   #1289
BHPian

Advisory: Repair work on Farakka barrage road

Those of you have traveled along Kolkata-Siliguri route in recent times must have seen that top-surface of the road over Farakka barrage has been in a badly-deformed shape due to the rut formations in the top layer, specially near the Malda side.

The Farakka barrage authority (NHAI has no jurisdiction over the barrage road) has now started repair work of the barrage road [1] starting from Nov 5. Apparently, a proper plan is made to minimize the traffic disruptions this time to avoid the traffic nightmares of 2018. In any case, please have a provision for some additional time, in case you are traveling along the route.

[1] https://www.telegraphindia.com/west-...ir/cid/1896232

Last edited by gmhossain : 6th November 2022 at 09:54.
gmhossain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 16:58   #1290

Nitin Gadkari on Twitter:

Boosting Connectivity For The Prosperity of West Bengal!

Inaugurated 2 NH projects worth Rs. 1082 Crore at Raiganj in the presence of MP Smt. @DebasreeBJP Ji, Shri @RajuBistaBJP Ji, Shri @JayantaRoyJPG Ji and Central & State Officials.
#PragatiKaHighway*#GatiShakti

Fulfilling the 60 years old demand of the people of Dalkhola (NH-34), this 5 km & 4-lane bypass built at the total cost of Rs. 120 Crore, will finally solve the traffic problem in Dalkhola town now. #PragatiKaHighway #GatiShakti

Apart from this, the travel time from Siliguri to Kolkata will reduce by two hours due to the construction of bypass and ROB. This stretch will also improve movement along border areas of Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal.
#PragatiKaHighway #GatiShakti

Built at the total cost of Rs. 962 Crore, the 4-laning of Raniganj to Dalkhola stretch has improved the overall connectivity between West Medinipur till borders of Bangladesh. This stretch will also enhance connectivity between Bengal & North Eastern Region.

#PragatiKaHighway
rvts is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks