Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 19:30   #361
BHPian

Re: Information on Coorg route

Just back after 3 nights and Orange County and boy was it an experience!

Onward route was Gonikoppal -> Ammathi -> Siddapura however the Gonikoppal to Ammathi stretch is pretty bad for about 8-10kms. Return journey was Siddapura -> Pollibetta -> Gonikoppal and I'm quite happy I tried this route. It was definitely better than travelling via Ammathi, though there were a few bad 100 meter stretches. This is the route I would recommend if anyone is heading up to Siddapura.

I just wish Orange County would do something about the 5-6km stretch off the main road up until their resort.
Old 16th September 2015, 00:50   #362
BHPian

Hey all, planning to drive to Coorg (Madikeri) on this weekend (19th Sept - 20th Sept). Plan is to leave early and reach Coorg around 11 AM max. And return, to leave around 5 PM to reach back around 11 PM. Taking a Zoom car (Scorpio) for this journey.

Help needed on route, condition of roads and any issues that need to be kept in mind. Also since traveling to Coorg for the first time, any inputs on the must visit places around Madikeri considering we will have only a weekend. Have my in laws with me, both above 60 years. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Also, on the route from Bangalore to Coorg, any major ghat sections that I need to take care of?
Old 16th September 2015, 10:59   #363
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Hey all, planning to drive to Coorg (Madikeri) on this weekend (19th Sept - 20th Sept). Plan is to leave early and reach Coorg around 11 AM max. And return, to leave around 5 PM to reach back around 11 PM. Taking a Zoom car (Scorpio) for this journey.
No major ghat sections on this route - Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri.

You can take the regular SH17 (Mysore Road) route for Bangalore-Mysore, Turn right onto the Outer Ring Road at Columbia Asia hospital, Mysore.
On this road you can stop at a restaurant called Kalyani for breakfast.

Start early, say 5-5:30am else the route can be painful especially on weekends.

Places to visit en route are the Tibetan settlement and monastery at Bylakuppe near Kushalnagar. Closer to Kushalnagar you have the Cauvery Nisargadhama by the river, lots of trees, elephant rides, etc managed by the forest department. Just after Kushalnagar you can also visit the Elephant camp at Dubare.
At Madikeri you can visit Omkareshwara temple and Rajah Seat, almost next door to each other.
The Fort also is nearby and can be visited, part of it houses government offices.
Other places to visit though you may need to drive around a bit are the Abbey Falls, Talacauvery.

*Alternate route (has some winding/curvy roads via estates but not really ghat roads):
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri.

If you have people with motion sickness you can avoid this. And you don't get to visit the places I mentioned in the other route . Also, fewer options for breaks.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 00:20   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
No major ghat sections on this route - Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri.

You can take the regular SH17 (Mysore Road) route for Bangalore-Mysore, Turn right onto the Outer Ring Road at Columbia Asia hospital, Mysore.
On this road you can stop at a restaurant called Kalyani for breakfast.

Start early, say 5-5:30am else the route can be painful especially on weekends.

Places to visit en route are the Tibetan settlement and monastery at Bylakuppe near Kushalnagar. Closer to Kushalnagar you have the Cauvery Nisargadhama by the river, lots of trees, elephant rides, etc managed by the forest department. Just after Kushalnagar you can also visit the Elephant camp at Dubare.
At Madikeri you can visit Omkareshwara temple and Rajah Seat, almost next door to each other.
The Fort also is nearby and can be visited, part of it houses government offices.
Other places to visit though you may need to drive around a bit are the Abbey Falls, Talacauvery.

*Alternate route (has some winding/curvy roads via estates but not really ghat roads):
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Shanivarasanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri.

If you have people with motion sickness you can avoid this. And you don't get to visit the places I mentioned in the other route . Also, fewer options for breaks.
Thanks mate for the suggestions. Will surely keep that in mind while planning.
Old 25th September 2015, 16:41   #365
Senior - BHPian

Took the route (Bangalore-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipura-Arkalgud-Doddamagge-Ramanathapura-Kushal Nagar) while going to Kushal Nagar last week. Very good roads, other than some bad roads (around 5 kms) near Ramanathapura.

Started from Marathahalli at 5:30 AM and reached Kushal Nagar around 10:15 AM, including breakfast at Swathi Delicacy, very good place - thanks for the recommendation. Very neat and a good play area to keep the kids occupied.

Stayed in Coorg Jungle Camp in Kushal Nagar. Very scenic place, facing the river. The maintenance and service of the place can be improved.
Old 10th November 2015, 14:34   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Those heading for Coorg and surroundings in couple of days keen an eye for the political unrest in Madikeri. Heard there is a bandh declared in Madikeri currently.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 15:21   #367
BHPian

Any update regarding the unrest in Madikeri yesterday ?
I'll be landing in Bangalore tomorrow morning and leaving for Plantation trails right away.
Old 11th November 2015, 15:25   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Any update regarding the unrest in Madikeri yesterday ?
I'll be landing in Bangalore tomorrow morning and leaving for Plantation trails right away.
Its not advised to be around Coorg at this time.

Public transport including Private buses are barred in Coorg right now. You might be able to pass through if you're on a 4 wheeler. Its best not to venture to the tourist spots, just relax and chill at the resort
Old 20th November 2015, 18:43   #369
BHPian

Hi All

I am leaving for Madikeri/Coorg early morning tomorrow. Plan to leave pretty early, say around by 3-4 AM. It will be grateful if some information can be shared on the following:

~ Any issues in terms of the bandh, safety of the route etc.
~ Road conditions, I will be taking the regular Mysore- Kushalnagar- NH75
~ Not a big fan of twisty ghat roads, though this would be my first time towards Madikeri, any advise.

Thanks
Rish
Old 20th November 2015, 19:07   #370
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
~ Any issues in terms of the bandh, safety of the route etc.
~ Road conditions, I will be taking the regular Mysore- Kushalnagar- NH75
~ Not a big fan of twisty ghat roads, though this would be my first time towards Madikeri, any advise.
-No information about the bandh.

-Since you're starting early and taking Mysore Road, there will hardly be any traffic but keep a look out for barricades that have now replaced most of the speed breakers, keep to 70-80kmph and you should do fine.

-At Mysore Outer Ring Road junction signal (Columbia Asia hospital on right), turn right and this will lead to Hunsur Road and onwards to Kushalnagar. On this road there is a restaurant called Kalyani that would have been an ideal breakfast stop but since you start very early, not sure if it will be open.

-You can also visit the Tibetan settlement and Monastery at Bylakuppe near Kushalnagar which is a small detour from the highway. You can also plan a visit to the Elephant camp at Dubare, maybe on your return leg.

-The route to Madikeri has some hilly sections but no major twisty/continuous hair-pin bends, etc. Keep to lower speeds and you should be fine.

Last edited by NPV : 20th November 2015 at 19:09.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:44   #371
Senior - BHPian

Need some information about Misty Woods Coorg. We are going there tomorrow for a quick stay; planning to drive via Mysore-Hunsur-Virajpet. The route as I understand it is to proceed towards Madikeri from Virajpet and take a left turn at Kadanoor in front of Coorg Greens, and a further left after approx. 20 more kms. Correct? Hopefully the resort is well-signposted.

The tripadvisor page for Misty Woods suggests that the route is very tough to drive on - what should I watch out for? I have the choice of two cars - Honda Civic or Hyundai I10. Though I prefer the former, if the road is unmanageable (GC issues primarily) then I don't mind taking the latter.
Old 22nd October 2016, 18:14   #372

Am driving Pune to Coorg on 30th Oct. Planning to complete the route on the same day (2 drivers).
Updated route advice by experienced guys on the route or senior members would be of great help. Any other inputs for the drive would be most valued.
Old 6th February 2018, 02:15   #373
BHPian

Query Post

How is the route from Manglore to Coorg?
I will be travelling with wife and daughter. Planning to self drive.

Any suggestion/options welcome.
Old 6th February 2018, 12:15   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
How is the route from Manglore to Coorg?
Assuming that you are heading towards Madikeri, Jalasoor - Sulia - Sampaje should be the route to take. All good on that route as reported here
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks