Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2006, 10:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Information on Coorg route

Hi All,
I am planning for a drive to Coorg from Bangalore on Friday. My plan is to drive via NH48 while going and return via Hunsur. Since I have heard that the Hunsur road is patchy, hence i am thinking of taking the NH48 route.

Blr to Coorg route: Blr - Chanarayanpatna - Holenarsipur - Arkalgud - Bettadpur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri (As per road atlas)

I know NH48 road till CRpatna. Can anyone tell me how is the road from CRpatna to Madikeri as per the route above? Pls suggest me some changes if required.

Also, I intend to return via Hunsur, Mysore. Also pls highlight, how pathetic is the road from Coorg to Mysore? If it is very bad then I have to take the same route which i will take while going.

Hope to get some good replies !!!
Thanks
Abhi
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

I still suggest you take the original route, I did that route 2 times last year, just loved it.

After crossing Srirangapattana, you will see a board for KRS and Ranganathittu, take right turn there. I did Madikeri in 2 hours 15 minutes from that point. The road is mostly deserted and you can maintain good speed even though it is a narrow medium smooth road. Whenever in doubt, just ask for directions. Very difficult to lose your way on this road. BTW, this road is a visual treat. After the Mysore road, this road will feel like heaven.
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

coorg - mysore is terrible in parts where the repairwork is on - and amazing where its done. The older parts of the road are pockmarked - I still did the 120 kms in about an hour and 45 mins on the Pulsar last weekend. Cars might take a little more time given the narrower parts.

Dunno about the other route - how much shorter is it ? Must be devoid of traffic.
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
After the Mysore road, this road will feel like heaven.
What!! That must be from the time when it was under construction. Yes the coorg road is a visual treat, but the Mysore 4 laner is a mindblowing ride - with its curves not completely gone but much safer than they used to be.

A little before you approach Madikeri, the road's very smooth and a little wider - and the curves beckon - but watch out for the traffic.
Old 22nd May 2006, 11:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
What!! That must be from the time when it was under construction. Yes the coorg road is a visual treat, but the Mysore 4 laner is a mindblowing ride
I was still talking about the visual part. Mysore 4-laner is indeed a mindblower ride, in a physical sense, a real death trap. Lots more people are going to die on that road now.
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:42   #6
BHPian

i suggest u take the hunsur-virajpet road. the CRpatna -madekeri road is no good either. almost similar to the hunsur-madekeri road..did that route last month.
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Hi,

Can you anyone suggest a nice resort (except Orange County) for stay in coorg for 2 nights, 3days...

Im planning to leave on Thursday evening and comeback by sunday
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
Hi,

Can you anyone suggest a nice resort (except Orange County) for stay in coorg for 2 nights, 3days...

Im planning to leave on Thursday evening and comeback by sunday
Try nisargadhama(its owned by the govt).. the best place i must say.. it also comes at a very very affordable price of 500-700 bucks for a day..

PM me for contact details..and i also have some contacts for home stays as well..

I suggest u check out nisargadhama... its an island sorrounded by river cauvery.. simply beautiful
Old 6th August 2006, 12:42   #9
NIP
Senior - BHPian

try misty woods or kings cottage...they are really in the most exotic place in coorg called kakkabe....
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:26   #10
BHPian

hey.. found this thread, so refrained from opening a new one..

me, mom and dad are coming down to bangalore in Dec for a wedding, we're looking to hire a car and drive down to coorg for a couple of days.

1. What's the current condition of the road from Bangalore to Coorg

2. We're planning on hiring a self driven car, it'll be great if the bangy guys could give me a few leads on that.

3. What's the best place to stay in Coorg? We're currently looking at Orange County.

cheers!
Shrivz...
Old 2nd November 2006, 22:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I still suggest you take the original route, I did that route 2 times last year, just loved it.

After crossing Srirangapattana, you will see a board for KRS and Ranganathittu, take right turn there. I did Madikeri in 2 hours 15 minutes from that point. The road is mostly deserted and you can maintain good speed even though it is a narrow medium smooth road. Whenever in doubt, just ask for directions. Very difficult to lose your way on this road. BTW, this road is a visual treat. After the Mysore road, this road will feel like heaven.
I agree. The Hunsur Road is a real eye-candy and a calming influence on the buddhi! No nasty surprises here on this road - unlike the Kanakapura-Kollegal road, neither is it a Bengalooru-Mysooru highway-type either

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd November 2006 at 23:06.
Old 2nd November 2006, 23:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz
hey.. found this thread, so refrained from opening a new one..

me, mom and dad are coming down to bangalore in Dec for a wedding, we're looking to hire a car and drive down to coorg for a couple of days.

1. What's the current condition of the road from Bangalore to Coorg

2. We're planning on hiring a self driven car, it'll be great if the bangy guys could give me a few leads on that.

3. What's the best place to stay in Coorg? We're currently looking at Orange County.

cheers!
Shrivz...
Hi Shrivz,Orange County is a prefered place of abode while at Coorg. BLR to Coorg (Madikeri) is via the BLR-Mysore highway, which is very smooth and new. A deviation to the right just before Mysore, after Srirangpatna, will find you on the road to the famous KRS dam and Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. THis is also the Hunsur Road. The Hunsur Road goes straight into Coorg (Madikeri). Samurai best described this road as "medium smooth". No big potholes - you can motor on continuously, however its not a smooth highway either. Its a fairly well maintained village road.Call me if you get time in BLR!
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:04   #13
BHPian

have done the Bangalore - mysore - hunsur - coorg route 2 weeks back..

Till Srirangapatna - fabulous but scary 4 lane mysore road

Deviation srirangapatna till hunsur - average - look out for speedbreakers

Hunsur - Coorg - 4 laning of road is going on. The road is fabulous in stretches where the 4 laning is complete. In other stretches Bad to pathetic. Watch out for abrupt deviations and speedbreakers., especially if you are driving in the night.

I would suggest Mahindra Resorts in Galibeedu to stay , Coorg.. a fabulous place in IMO http://www.clubmahindra.com/resort.asp?id=13
Old 3rd November 2006, 13:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Regarding self driven cars Hertz is there in bangalore,which offers unlimited kms on a per day basis[weekly/monthly also avaliable],although I too would love to hear about cheaper options if any bangy boys could help please.
Old 8th November 2006, 17:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Try Sand Banks at Ammathi (around 30 kms from Madikeri), near Virajpet, away from Madikeri town. It is also at a vantage point if you want to go to Nagarahole WLS and Eruppu Falls

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks