Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 12:33   #301
BHPian

Re: Information on Coorg route

Thanks for that. I am driving all the way from Hyderabad as tatkal reservation by train did not go through. I was initially planning to take train from Hyd-Bang and then hire a zoom car. But thanks to indian railways, I am doing this by car. I am planning non stop drive from Hyderabad to Kushalnagar.

We are two families (hence two drivers). So considering this situation, which is the best route to Kushalnagar from Hyderabad. I am pretty much fixed on the route till Nelligere as per this route

http://goo.gl/maps/SmV0o

It is only after this that I am confused which route to take. Should I deviate from Nelligere and take the route Nagamangala-Pandavapura-KRS-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar or

should I continue onto Channarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Ramanathapura-Kushalnagar? Or is it that both the routes are equally bad or good in terms of patchiness?

Thanks

Last edited by racer_ash : 5th June 2014 at 12:48. Reason: adding non stop drive part
Old 5th June 2014, 12:38   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
We are two families (hence two drivers). So considering this situation, which is the best route to Kushalnagar from Hyderabad. I am pretty much fixed on the route till Nelligere as per this route
Go with what Addy says. He knows the best.

The reason you may want to take the Mysore/Hunsur option (Neligere/Srirangapatna) :
- More options for food via Mysore/Hunsur
- Needing to reach Ksuhalnagar, gets you good roads all the way.

How to spot the Neligere exit: Exit 4-lane after Belur Cross toll.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:00   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is only after this that I am confused which route to take. Should I deviate from Nelligere and take the route Nagamangala-Pandavapura-KRS-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar or

should I continue onto Channarayapatna-Holenarasipur-Arkalgud-Ramanathapura-Periyapatna? Or is it that both the routes are equally bad or good in terms of patchiness?

Thanks
If you are coming via Nelligere, the distance to Kushalnagar from Nelligere (Bellur Cross) would be approx 140 kms, but via Pandavapura-Mysore-Hunsur it will be approx 170 kms. Everything depends on what time you reach Nelligere. I would not suggest taking the Arkalgud-Kushalnagar route after sundown. This is not because of any safety concern, but mainly because this route, even though a state highway, is not a major route and it becomes a bit lonely after dark and there is very little traffic. I am not very hopeful of the signages (in english) either. Another aspect is that there are absolutely no facilities (read as toilets, good restaurants etc) on this route.

So, if you reach Nelligere around 1-2 pm, I would suggest you take this route. Or else, if it is late, you can deviate towards Pandavapura-Srirangapatna and then take Mysore Ring road to join Hunsur road to Kushalnagar. As Ampere has mentioned, there are more facilities on this route and the road is good all the way.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 12:12   #304
BHPian

Am back from the coorg trip. Just wanted to share some updates.

I took the Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Ramanathapura-Kushalnagar route on my onward journey.

1) Around 4-5 kms before Arkalgud, there is literally no road. Bone jarring journey and I felt I should never take this route again.
2) Arkalgud till 4-5 kms after Ramanathapura is a pathetic stretch again. Added to that, it was the fag end of a rather long drive and I was literally fuming.
3) Freshly laid tarmac for around 15kms before Kushalnagar. But the damage was already done and I vowed never to take this route again.

Return through the normal route. Madikere-Hunsur-KRS road-Periyapatna-Belur cross (on mangalore highway)

1) Good roads till the exit to KRS (lots of speedbreakers though) with lots of eating options.
2) Not so good road on the KRS road. Some very unscientific speedbreakers enroute.
3) GPS misguided me and I was literally lost and somehow without crossing Srirangapatna, I was already in Periyapatna. Narrow potholed roads with so many intersections and forks. Irritating
4) Periyapatna to Belur cross was good. Could maintain a steady 80kmph. Again, lots of speed breakers.
5) Butter smooth Mangalore-Bangalore highway.

Somehow, I felt that there is no perfect alternate to the more congested Bangalore-Mysore highway-Mysore ORR-Hunsur-Madikere.

Thanks
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:27   #305
BHPian

I am traveling to coorg from 15th to 19th of June. I am flying to Bangalore from Mumbai and driving to coorg. I have booked Ford Eco-sport from Zoom for a week since I am spending time in bangalore too.

I am traveling with wife and infant. Any dos and donts for the travel? Staying at club Mahindra.

Please guide. Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:00   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am back from the coorg trip. Just wanted to share some updates.

I took the Channarayapatna-Arkalgud-Ramanathapura-Kushalnagar route on my onward journey.

1) Around 4-5 kms before Arkalgud, there is literally no road. Bone jarring journey and I felt I should never take this route again.
I agree. But the place you are talking about is Holenarsipur and not Arkalgud. I had to take the same route to Arkalgud (and on to Shanivarsanthe) and the last 3-4 kms to Holenarsipur is bad (no roads). The road to Arkalgud is in good condition.

Quote:
Return through the normal route. Madikere-Hunsur-KRS road-Periyapatna-Belur cross (on mangalore highway)

3) GPS misguided me and I was literally lost and somehow without crossing Srirangapatna, I was already in Periyapatna. Narrow potholed roads with so many intersections and forks. Irritating
You have mixed up the places. Periyapatna comes in between Madikeri and Hunsur. I'm guessing you meant Pandavapura. I think you have crossed KRS and took the direct route to Pandavapura.
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:31   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I am traveling to coorg from 15th to 19th of June. I am flying to Bangalore from Mumbai and driving to coorg. I have booked Ford Eco-sport from Zoom for a week since I am spending time in bangalore too.

I am traveling with wife and infant. Any dos and donts for the travel? Staying at club Mahindra.

Please guide. Thanks
I believe its 5-19th July.If it rains,travel's going to be tough within the Coorg region,otherwise its all going to be smooth driving for you.Having said that if it rains the sights and smells are going to be worth every rupee that you spent for the trip
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:39   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I believe its 5-19th July.If it rains,travel's going to be tough within the Coorg region,otherwise its all going to be smooth driving for you.Having said that if it rains the sights and smells are going to be worth every rupee that you spent for the trip
My bad its July not June. I didn't get you but I am hoping u meant it becomes better/enjoyable when it rains.
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:04   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad its July not June. I didn't get you but I am hoping u meant it becomes better/enjoyable when it rains.
The roads in and around the Coorg region becomes bad while you get to see beautiful greenery all around.The region becomes slushy and muddy so walking driving etc becomes difficult.
Old 6th July 2014, 20:55   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Any dos and donts for the travel? Staying at club Mahindra.
Which Club Mahindra are you headed to? There are 2 in Coorg - Madikeri and Virajpet.
Going to the Madikeri place is straightforward. Bangalore > Mysore > Hunsur > Kushalnagar > Madikeri.
If you're going to Virajpet, then the recommended route is http://goo.gl/maps/zCEnI. I was there last weekend and most of the Coorg roads are in very good condition, except for a stretch of ~10 Km through Nagarhole that's being done up. No potholes there, you can maintain a slow, steady speed of 30 Kmph.
Entry through Nagarhole is prohibited between 6 pm and 6 am, so please plan accordingly.
Coorg is beautiful this time of the year. Enjoy the sights and sounds and don't miss trying the famous "pandi curry" (Pork curry), if you're a non-veggie that is
Let me know if you need any other specific detail.
ozzyrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 21:20   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
If you're going to Virajpet, then the recommended route is http://goo.gl/maps/zCEnI. I was there last weekend and most of the Coorg roads are in very good condition, except for a stretch of ~10 Km through Nagarhole that's being done up. No potholes there, you can maintain a slow, steady speed of 30 Kmph.
Entry through Nagarhole is prohibited between 6 pm and 6 am, so please plan accordingly.
Please note that there is no night travel restriction in this route. The only issue is the 10km un-tarred stretch. Work is going to complete the this too.
Old 7th July 2014, 15:29   #312

fwiw, i had gone from bangalore to orange county in feb this year. I trusted google maps which gave me this: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/BTM+...74!2d12.326345 . This was fine for the most part except for a really bad stretch of less than 10 kms. on my way back took this route to include the golden temple.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oran...12.9162568!3e0
Old 29th September 2014, 12:36   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudeLeLouch View Post
Bangalore to orange county
Planning to take the same route to Orange County in a couple of weeks. How was the road condition from Orange County to Kushalnagar?
Old 29th September 2014, 12:51   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to take the same route to Orange County in a couple of weeks. How was the road condition from Orange County to Kushalnagar?
Orange County - Kushalnagar (via Dubare elephant camp) route is fine.

However if taking Sidapura route, the road between Periyapatana - Sidapura is bad.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 14:43   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Orange County - Kushalnagar (via Dubare elephant camp) route is fine
Will mostly be driving Kushalnagar - OC based on feedback from various threads

Most Viewed