Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2012, 20:21   #466
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
For pondy, why not Bangalore->Pallikonda->Sripuram->Arni route? Is it because of maximising 4L drive or avoiding Arni which is a potential time-killer town to pass through? Anyway, the Arcot route seems the best option based on all inputs, including the hotel guys in Pondy. They seemed to have learnt it from Bangalore folks who stayed with them during X-mas and New Year
Apart from 4L aspect, driving via Arani wont give you much. Because you get back to Gingee.
Arcot option would directly lead you to Tindivanam. That is much better.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 20:33   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Apart from 4L aspect, driving via Arani wont give you much. Because you get back to Gingee.
Arcot option would directly lead you to Tindivanam. That is much better.
I have chosen Arcot->Vandavasi->Tindivanam route as per the comments in the forum.

But FYI, I heard that the direct Pallikonda->Arani->Vandavasi is also a good route and hence maybe (not confirmed by anyone first-hand) preferred to avoid some bad stretches near Arcot and Cheyyar as well as some stretch just before Vandavasi coming from the same side. Arani->Vandavasi (and Arani->Vellore too) on the other hand is in a better condition since that is a part of the route for many (important people) coming from South to go towards Vellore, including CMC. Incidentally, heard the same from some local cab drivers when I went to Vellore Golden Temple a couple of months back. They suggested Arani->Gingee->TVMalai (not sure if they asked me to go via Arani or just take the Arani route to start with and then deviate after a while) if I needed to goto TVMalai and I just nodded my head and said ThankYou as I was just enquiring whether this supposed-to-be-alternative-route to TVMalai is worth a try.

Last edited by ajithbr : 14th February 2012 at 20:37.
Old 14th February 2012, 20:42   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They suggested Arani->Gingee->TVMalai (not sure if they asked me to go via Arani or just take the Arani route to start with and then deviate after a while) if I needed to goto TVMalai and I just nodded my head and said ThankYou as I was just enquiring whether this supposed-to-be-alternative-route to TVMalai is worth a try.
Yes definitely Arani-TV Malai is a better option.

About the Pallikonda-Arani option, the only issue is spotting the diversion on 4L when you would be driving fast.

Maybe while coming back from Pondicherry, you may want to try this option (i.e. : Tindivanam - Vandavasi-Arani-Pallikonda) I have no idea of the road condition.
Old 14th February 2012, 20:54   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Yes definitely Arani-TV Malai is a better option.

About the Pallikonda-Arani option, the only issue is spotting the diversion on 4L when you would be driving fast.

Maybe while coming back from Pondicherry, you may want to try this option (i.e. : Tindivanam - Vandavasi-Arani-Pallikonda) I have no idea of the road condition.
Spotting the diversion is damn easy :-)
Just after Pallikonda toll booth, you need to take the right turn where the board says "Sripuram Golden Temple" and just after crossing the temple on your left, you need to take right at the next junction where the road is clearly marked to Arani and (I think) Polur. I think you may also take right turn at the junction just before temple if you know before-hand that temple is just around the corner, say 100 meters or so but this turn is not 100% sure for me.

I may try Arani route on return if I can convince others and also if I have some slack time too !
Old 14th February 2012, 21:42   #470
Senior - BHPian

Not many know Pondicherry has quitea few old temples in the boulevard area. It is also home to about 16 Sidhar abodes. You can also look at visit the temples at Villiyanur, Thiruvandarkoil and Madagatipet, the temple at Thiruvandarkoil is an ASI site.

Do not plan anything at either Paradise beach or Chunnambar backwaters as they are not ready yet after cyclone damage.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:12   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Not many know Pondicherry has quitea few old temples in the boulevard area. It is also home to about 16 Sidhar abodes. You can also look at visit the temples at Villiyanur, Thiruvandarkoil and Madagatipet, the temple at Thiruvandarkoil is an ASI site.

Do not plan anything at either Paradise beach or Chunnambar backwaters as they are not ready yet after cyclone damage.
Thanks. What do you think of a possibe half-day round trip to Chidambaram from Pondy in the forenoon?

And heard from many that Kancheepuram->Chengalpettu is another good option apart from Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi route to Pondy. Had not considered the earlier expecting a big rush in Kancheepuram on Sivarathri occassion but I think it will be worth experimenting it in case we can squeeze in Mahabalipuram too, right? So, can you please tell the exact deviations and routes going from Bangalore side on either case, touching Mahabs or not?
Old 14th February 2012, 22:34   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And heard from many that Kancheepuram->Chengalpettu is another good option apart from Arcot->Cheyyar->Vandavasi route to Pondy. Had not considered the earlier expecting a big rush in Kancheepuram on Sivarathri occassion but I think it will be worth experimenting it in case we can squeeze in Mahabalipuram too, right? So, can you please tell the exact deviations and routes going from Bangalore side on either case, touching Mahabs or not?

Wading through Kanchi town is a pain. Also you will need to ask folks to latch on to the right SH. Quite many potholes on this SH, as per what I heard last.
Arcot Cheyyar is easy deviation. Drive without looking for any deviations. At Arcot, take U after you cross the bridge on Palar. The deviation is right next after you cross the bridge on the return.

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2012 at 22:36.
Old 15th February 2012, 09:12   #473
J.Ravi

Quote:
Please help chart a tentative schedule for #1 to #9 above including the name of tourist spots, specific temples and popular hotels in Pondy.
Don't miss museum near the beach.

Fill your car with tankful of fuel at Ashram BP pump near the beach/canal road.

These are good hotels in Pondy: A2B and Hotel Sarguru at Nehru Street near Manakula Vinayakar temple/beach. Hotel Jayaram, Kamaraj Salai.

Regarding Arni route, I did once in 2011 via Arcot>Arni>Chetpet>Gingee>Tindivanam>Pondy. The worst part is driving through the markets of Arcot, Arni and Chetpet. The road condition from Arni to Chetpet and beyond was the worst in that route and could easily compete with Thiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri stretch. I don't know their latest status after monsoon.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th February 2012 at 09:18.

Old 15th February 2012, 13:52   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Regarding Arni route, I did once in 2011 via Arcot>Arni>Chetpet>Gingee>Tindivanam>Pondy. The worst part is driving through the markets of Arcot, Arni and Chetpet. The road condition from Arni to Chetpet and beyond was the worst in that route and could easily compete with Thiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri stretch. I don't know their latest status after monsoon.
Ravi,

Did you ever try Arani-Vandavasi?
Is it any better than Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi?
Old 15th February 2012, 16:16   #475
J.Ravi

Quote:
Did you ever try Arani-Vandavasi?
Not fully.
Quote:
Is it any better than Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi?
I think, Arani-Vandavasi road seemed to be better than Arani-Chetpat road as I had once driven on that road for some distance around 10 pm from Vandavasi side missing the right turn to Cheyyar, realised and took a village road to reach Cheyyar after enquiry with local people when I was returning to Bangalore last year. My MMI navigator does not show Cheyyar even now after many upgrades!

Old 16th February 2012, 00:47   #476
BHPian

Plan to head out in a fully loaded Fusion (Petrol) on Friday morning towards Pondy. Aiming to start early from Bangalore (around 04:00)!

Thanks to the detailed posts by Ampere, VSBabu, J. Ravi etc. have an idea of the best route to take.

Had a stupid question. Right now I am at around quarter tankful. Wondering if I should do a tank up in Bangalore city itself on Thursday evening or should I just start the drive and fill in TN once I cross the border. Considering that Petrol is cheaper (by how much?) in Tamil Nadu.

Any suggestions for a good, reputable petrol pump after crossing the KA-TN border on the left that is open early in the morning (05:00 odd) and accepts cards?

Last edited by Glifford : 16th February 2012 at 00:52.
Old 16th February 2012, 09:11   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Any suggestions for a good, reputable petrol pump after crossing the KA-TN border on the left that is open early in the morning (05:00 odd) and accepts cards?
No Idea about acceptance of credit cards on the highways.
The standard one is the bunk along with A2B at Shoolagiri.
Not sure if would be open. By 6 AM, it ought to be.

Thats about 70km away. I would suggest to tank it up before start itself.
That would relieve you off one headache right at the start.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 09:16   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plan to head out in a fully loaded Fusion (Petrol) on Friday morning towards Pondy. Aiming to start early from Bangalore (around 04:00)!

Thanks to the detailed posts by Ampere, VSBabu, J. Ravi etc. have an idea of the best route to take.

Had a stupid question. Right now I am at around quarter tankful. Wondering if I should do a tank up in Bangalore city itself on Thursday evening or should I just start the drive and fill in TN once I cross the border. Considering that Petrol is cheaper (by how much?) in Tamil Nadu.

Refuel in TN, so much more cheaper.
5 Star petrol pump immediately after crossing Hosur town accepts credit cards.
Further down (25 kms) you have both HPCL (with McD) and BPCL (with A2B), both accept credit cards. I am sure you have enough gas to run 50-75 kms?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 10:29   #479
J.Ravi

Quote:
should I just start the drive and fill in TN once I cross the border.
After entering Tamil Nadu, have tankful of fuel at BP COCO Ghar Dhaba at Chinnar before Krishnagiri toll plaza. Here the COCO outlet is open 24 x 7 and Ghar Dhaba A2B is open from 6 am to midnight. At Shoolagiri, HP COCO outlet [24 x 7] is located with McD, CCD and Sri Krishna Bhavan. Another HP COCO outlet [24 x 7] with Arya Bhavan is located just after Pallikonda toll plaza on RHS of NH 46 while going from Bangalore towards Chennai. They all accept credit/debit cards.
Quote:
Considering that Petrol is cheaper (by how much?) in Tamil Nadu.
At Chinnar BP COCO pump, petrol is cheaper by Rs 2.50 a litre. At Ashram BP pump in Pondy, Rs 8/litre less than that of Bangalore.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th February 2012 at 10:32.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 12:08   #480
BHPian

Quote:
#9) a good hotel in the town for dinner, veg or non-veg
Every time I go to Pondycherry, I visit Ponnusamy for either lunch or dinner (MGR Regency - Comfort Hotel - Hotel Ponnusamy - Pondicherry) where ECR begins. It is easy to find out. They've pretty good non-veg/sea-food stuff.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks