Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 06:46   #451
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
This adds 25 kms more amd approx time is now 6hr 44min, but if you say this is the best route than i'll try this. With so many diversions i don't know if my GPS device would be able to guide me and keep me on this route.
The reason for going through Sothupakkam is that, you can easily latch on to NH45 without getting into city traffic.
If you go via Tindivanam, you need to go through the town.

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2012 at 06:53.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 16:45   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
It has been 2 weeks since I came back from Pondicherry - thought I will write down driving directions via Arcot - Vandavasi, if it helps some one later...

Bangalore to Pondicherry:
  • Head towards Hosur -> Krishnagiri. There are couple of decent joints after Hosur ....
Hi VSBABU,

Thank you immensely for the route provided. It is absolutely spot on and is definitely much better than the other route via Gingee which i traveled on a couple of months ago and was horrible and bone rattling. I traveled on this route between the 26th to the 30th of January and the bad patch of road running next to the river was being tarred on the way back, so that should be fine by now!

Thank you immensely for the directions.

regards,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 17:52   #453
J.Ravi

How to bypass the dreaded Tindivanam without pain?

I always dread bypassing Tindivanam whenever I drive between Bangalore and Pondicherry. Not any more with the new railway overbridge across College Road thrown open to public traffic recently. In June 2011, the bridge was still under construction as detailed in my post.

Yesterday, I drove in my Linea from Pondicherry to Bangalore via Tindivanam bypass, Vandavasi, Cheyyar and Arcot bypass. I took College Road bypass to access SH 5 as detailed in the following photographs:
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc05704.jpg
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc05705.jpg
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc05706.jpg
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc05709.jpg
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc05710.jpg
This is the route to bypass Tindivanam via College Road as shown in MapMyIndia map:
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-tindivanambp.jpg
There are many bad patches on SH 5 thanks to the recent monsoon fury, but the good news is that they are either being patched up or laid with a new coat of asphalt. I saw works in progress in few locations. Road widening works from 4 lanes to 6 are in progress on Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ranipet section. No shoulders in those works-in-progress sections.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 7th February 2012 at 18:04.
  (9) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 21:12   #454
BHPian

Vellore Golden Temple

Hi,

I'd be driving to Pondy this weekend via Vellore-Tindivanam as suggested by BHPians. I need the following help:

1. Can someone please guide me with direction as to how do I reach the golden temple and how do I get back towards Pondy? (great if you know the timings too - specifically would it be closed for lunch).

2. My resort/hotel is on ECR and I need to go via Auroville again as per this thread. Is there any landmark to take the turn towards Auroville while coming from Tindivanam.

BTW, I'm going there to take part in the Auroville marathon, any other BHPians also taking part in the run?

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 21:26   #455
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to bypass the dreaded Tindivanam without pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I drove in my Linea from Pondicherry to Bangalore via Tindivanam bypass, Vandavasi, Cheyyar and Arcot bypass.
I took College Road bypass to access SH 5 as detailed in the following photographs:
This is great news Ravi. So need to go via Soothupakkam.
Just continue towards Tindivanam from Vandavasi.

Thanks again.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:10   #456
BHPian

Re: Vellore Golden Temple

Auroville road is the left turn som 50m before toll gate. From what I recall, there is no other left turn nearby.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 15:01   #457
BHPian

Re: Vellore Golden Temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

I'd be driving to Pondy this weekend via Vellore-Tindivanam as suggested by BHPians. I need the following help:

1. Can someone please guide me with direction as to how do I reach the golden temple and how do I get back towards Pondy? (great if you know the timings too - specifically would it be closed for lunch).

Prasad
If you are driving from Bangalore after Crossing Ambur(Poigai) you can find a right Direction to SriPuram, thats the place of Golden Temple. You need to take a right divertion from the High way. You dont need to reach vellor to visit the Temple.

And from the temple you need to come back few KM and continue the Pondy Route. Hope this will help you.
arin_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 21:19   #458
BHPian

There is another option. On the road from Vandavasi instead of joining NH45 at Sothupakkam, continue on the road (leading to Cheyyur) and you can join ECR
Old 10th February 2012, 22:14   #459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
There is another option. On the road from Vandavasi instead of joining NH45 at Sothupakkam, continue on the road (leading to Cheyyur) and you can join ECR
Oh yes. If one wants to enjoy ECR, he/she can use this route.
But for the comfort of 4L, its good to take the route via Tindivanam.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:14   #460
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
On the road from Vandavasi instead of joining NH45 at Sothupakkam, continue on the road (leading to Cheyyur) and you can join ECR.
ECR was originally a Major District Road [MDR], which was improved by Tamil Nadu Road Development Co. Ltd. and made it a world-class 2-lane toll road. I was a regular user of ECR until NH 45 got widened to 4 lanes. Now, from the safety and comfort point of view, 4-laned NH 45/66 wins hands down compared to ECR, which has become a death-trap due heavy volume of traffic on its 2 lanes. However, ECR still has the charm of scenic beauty all along the route which is also shorter compared to NH 45/66 from Chennai.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th February 2012 at 09:15.

Old 13th February 2012, 23:16   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
After about 100km from Krishnagiri, you can see an Aryabhavan+Cafe Coffee Day+Fuel on the right side. I don't remember the place name, but it is quite good food.
Anybody knows precisely where this is? Before or after Pallikonda? From the approx 100 kms mentioned, looks like it should be after Ambur.

And any update on Tiruvannamalai route to Pondy? Last heard was the Tiruvannamalai->Tindivanam was being patched but still very rough for a car drive to Pondy. And as usual for a long time now, heard Krishnagiri->Tiruvannamalai is best avoided and perhaps taking Bargur->Tirupattur->Chengam route is a good option to TVMalai for a Sivarathri trip, right?
Old 13th February 2012, 23:22   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Anybody knows precisely where this is? Before or after Pallikonda? From the approx 100 kms mentioned, looks like it should be after Ambur.

And any update on Tiruvannamalai route to Pondy? Last heard was the Tiruvannamalai->Tindivanam was being patched but still very rough for a car drive to Pondy. And as usual for a long time now, heard Krishnagiri->Tiruvannamalai is best avoided and perhaps taking Bargur->Tirupattur->Chengam route is a good option to TVMalai for a Sivarathri trip, right?
Not worth it Ajit. Take the Arcot/Vandavasi/Tindivanam option.

CCD: Its after Pallikonda while driving to Chennai.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2464102

(Not sure which side of the road)
Old 14th February 2012, 04:34   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
The Arya Bhavan + CCD + HP petrol pump is just after the Pallikonda toll, on the RHS when going towards Chennai. There is a big board (LHS) just before this place arrives.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 11:33   #464
Senior - BHPian

The stretch between Thiruvannamalai & Tindivanam is quite rough with some potholes randomly. It is quite difficult to drive in this stretch especially after dark as overtaking is gamble hoping you don't run into any pothole on the other side.

Incidentally the bridge is open at College Road, Tindivanam, so folks coming from Vandavasi side need not enter the town and those coming from Thiruvannamalai side can take a left to the Vandavasi SH just before entering the town take the bridge and join NH45 comfortably to take the byepass on their way to Pondicherry.
Old 14th February 2012, 19:12   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not worth it Ajit. Take the Arcot/Vandavasi/Tindivanam option.

CCD: Its after Pallikonda while driving to Chennai.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2464102

(Not sure which side of the road)
For pondy, why not Bangalore->Pallikonda->Sripuram->Arni route? Is it because of maximising 4L drive or avoiding Arni which is a potential time-killer town to pass through? Anyway, the Arcot route seems the best option based on all inputs, including the hotel guys in Pondy. They seemed to have learnt it from Bangalore folks who stayed with them during X-mas and New Year

Anyway, after some deliberations, mainly considering the bad roads around TVMalai and also the heavy rush expected on the occassion of Sivarathri, the TVMalai visit is postponed to another time. So, it is direct Bangalore->Pondy trip now and the folks had booked in Abhirami Residency in Pondy.
Heard good reviews about the hotel, esp. the restaurant there. Anybody have some experience or comments on the same?

Tentative plan is to make early morning drive from Bangalore to reach Pondy by saturday 18th lunch and then:
#1) Afternoon sight-seeing in Pondy
#2) Beach in the evening
#3) a good hotel in the town for early dinner, veg or non-veg

Full-day of sunday 19th dedicated to sight-seeing:
#4) Morning visit to any temples around
#5) Morning sight-seeing
#6) a good hotel for lunch , veg or non-veg
#7) Afternoon sight-seeing
#8) Any beach in the evening
#9) a good hotel in the town for dinner, veg or non-veg

Return to Bangalore on Monday 20th morning. Hopefully lunch at Ambur !

Please help chart a tentative schedule for #1 to #9 above including the name of tourist spots, specific temples and popular hotels in Pondy. Being T-BHP forum and hence assured replies, thanks well in advance for all

Another point is that we discussed about the possibility of including another temple town visit instead of the skipped TVMalai for the sake of religiously inclined elders. The names that popped up were Kancheepuram(K), Mahabalipuram(M) and Chidambaram(C). However, K and M was dropped since they will be part of a Chennai trip in the near future. So, seriously considering a round-trip to Chidambaram on sunday morning from Pondy. It is about 2 hours drive one-way AFAIK but will the sivarathri occassion cause extreme delays for darshan and hence return?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks