Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2016, 17:42   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Planning to go to pondicherry via the conventional route, Bangalore - Pondicherry (Vellore-Ranipet-Vandavasi).

Can anyone list out the toll amounts on this journey?
Also what is the entry tax for commercial vehicles? (will be taking a hatch from myles most likely).

Thanks
You have to pay toll at Attibele, Krishnagiri, Vaniyambadi, Pallikonda and Dindivanam.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:52   #1562
BHPian

Dear fellow Bhpians,

Got to drive Pondy's standard route(Blr - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondy) 15 Aug long weekend with family, are we having any latest update from July/August of the state highway stretch(Arcot - Tindivanam), in terms of any stretch deteriorated much with rains to vigilantly gear-down or anything else to watch-out with regards to SH? Last update we have is from 17th June from sansvk at start of rainy season.

Secondly, in case it exists or anybody knows, does this 100km SH stretch have a passable place/restaurant to stop for any adhoc need if at all?
Old 11th August 2016, 16:12   #1563
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Secondly, in case it exists or anybody knows, does this 100km SH stretch have a passable place/restaurant to stop for any adhoc need if at all?
There is a newish A2B at Arcot, it's their fine dining format and heard it is good, this is before you get on to the SH section.

2 good options for breaks on left side of highway without having to make U-turns would be Sai Sangeet near Vellore and A2B near Arcot:
Map Link

Last edited by NPV : 11th August 2016 at 16:19.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 18:24   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Dear fellow Bhpians,

As NPV suggested, the last good/decent option when travelling with family in this stretch is A2B Arcot which is like mid-way. The next good option is only in Tindivanam but insteead of stopping over there, you can better reach Pondy directly.

Regarding the last 2L stretch, I haven't heard anything wrong with road conditions. But even otherwise, I don't see you have any other option of better roads than what is available betwen Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam if you are taking this route. Moreover, these stretches are usually less in traffic, so don't expect it to go bad so soon.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 22:03   #1565
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Pondy, and here are the updates.

Took the standard route [ BLR- Krishnagiri - Arcot - Cheyyar- Tindivanam - Pondy ]. Roads are in good condition, the 95 km stretch from Arcot to Tindivanam is decent too, covered it in 90 mins. Roads are average for a 3 km stretch around Cheyyar Bypass ( 16 speed breakers too ) , and 2 km around Tindivanam.

Started at 7 AM from HSR and reached Sai Sangeet at 8:40.Thanks for recommending this place, food was awesome. On return had lunch at A2B Arcot, very good food here too.
aravindkumarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 07:04   #1566
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I went to Pondy for a day's work and used the Cheyyur-Vandavasi route on the way out.
Very pleasant and scenic drive, but it is extremely painful to drive through any of our little Indian towns because of absolutely chaotic road usage by all manner of vehicles and creatures. Saying that, if one is generally patient, and if one makes an effort to "enjoy the journey" rather than just rush from A to B, then it is perfectly fine.

On the way back, we just naturally wandered along the old route which I used to take years ago, Gingee-Thiruvannamalai etc. Beautiful scenic route with some lovely views of the Rajagiri Forts etc. No problem really with the surface except in some patches.

We actively chose not to go direct to Krishnagiri on the old route, preferring instead to branch off and go towards the highway itself for the last bit.
I think that was a good decision because that road also was lovely.

Of course, once we hit the highway everything became as mundane as ever.

The one irritant on the smaller village roads is the abundance of those hump backed, vertiginous home-made speed breakers which are really a pain if one hits them suddenly while travelling at normal road speeds.

Saying that, the visual delights and "local experiences" and overall "feel good" when using the older roadways, is a real pleasure. Just to see those big old trees lining the road side, with their white and black markings and all the scenic pastoral sights of rural India is in itself a treat.

Reminds me so much of the road trips of old, which we used to do along with parents and friends etc, as kids.

There is a certain pleasure in those gentle roads which move along the contours of the land, rather than our great big Interstate highways. Especially if one is not in too much of a hurry rushing from Point A to Point B, which we do anyway every day of our lives in the cities...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th August 2016 at 07:06.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 09:52   #1567
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
On the way back, we just naturally wandered along the old route which I used to take years ago, Gingee-Thiruvannamalai etc. Beautiful scenic route with some lovely views of the Rajagiri Forts etc. No problem really with the surface except in some patches.

We actively chose not to go direct to Krishnagiri on the old route, preferring instead to branch off and go towards the highway itself for the last bit.
Thanks for that update, that's an interesting route. Could you share a map link for the route you took ?
Old 21st August 2016, 17:37   #1568
BHPian

Did standard Pondy route(Blr - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondy) on 15th Aug long weekend, few findings from the trip for value additions to our knowledge bank for this segment:

The 100km SH stretch (Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam) is all fine as of date. Observed recent widening have happened at some portions. The one or two portions which are rough are infact negligible that should not be mentioned, on the whole it is all fine to rest assure and maintain fair average speed.

Due to late check-out and start from Pondy, didn't wanted to delay lunch till A2B Arcot thus tried this Saravana Bhavan, Tindivanam. It was quite fine - convenient to stop-by/resume, ample parking with guard, comes few hundred meters after the bunch of restaurants at T.V.Nagar junction thus is not chaotically crowded like T.V.Nagar ones, fine A/c section, super fast service, quite okay food, maintained bathroom and cards accepted. Fine option for lunch during late starts from Pondicherry, when one doesn't wan't to defer to a late lunch 2 hours further at A2B Arcot.

Noted a fine dining restaurant on drive-hand side while Bangalore bound on NH46 - Alankar Veg Restaurant. Stopped for quick windscreen wash in shade, didn't went inside but was looking upscale types and many cars were parked. It is suitable for quick/bio break or for lunch if one doesn't want to painstake to other side of the road for A2B Arcot.

Happened to stop for bio break at this Hotel Saravanaa Bhava just after krishnagiri toll while north bound. It had a stuffy hall, slippery floor & restroom was not up to the mark. Not recommended I will conclude.

Last edited by Throtttle : 21st August 2016 at 17:47. Reason: route points
Throtttle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 12:12   #1569
BHPian

Hi Everyone, planning a Bengaluru Pondicherry trip this Sunday. I am worried about the situation on the Tamil Nadu border due to the Karnataka bandh today. Can anyone let me know of a way to find out if private vehicles can pass without issues? Mine is a Maharashtra registered car. Thank you.
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:27   #1570
BHPian

Would be driving to Pondy in a KA car from Bangalore next week. Any suggestions?
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:19   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Hi Everyone, planning a Bengaluru Pondicherry trip this Sunday. I am worried about the situation on the Tamil Nadu border due to the Karnataka bandh today. Can anyone let me know of a way to find out if private vehicles can pass without issues? Mine is a Maharashtra registered car. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Would be driving to Pondy in a KA car from Bangalore next week. Any suggestions?
Last week I drove to Tamilnadu in a KA vehicle and faced no issue whatsoever. One incident I would like to mention, though. I was inching my car through some packed traffic in Erode when a traffic cop stopped and admonished me for driving around without removing my number plate. She even suggested I remove them then. But I said I had almost reached my destination, so I was fine and I was let go.

That was the only incident worth mentioning.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:28   #1572
BHPian

Ya I drove back with ease on the very day of the bandh. In fact in days of bandh the security is even tighter and nicer to drive on.
Old 30th September 2016, 13:15   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Did Vellore-Pondy and back last weekend on the standard route (Arcot - Cheyyar - Tindivanam)
I enjoyed the drive. It took close to three hours. The roads are curvy and a bit undulating. The greenery around is really great! The drive via some smaller towns/villages has some charm to it. If you're looking for a thrilling smooth four lane highway, this is not it! I loved easing the car onto the curves and actually controlling it rather than just pressing the accelerator while holding onto the steering! My xcent is not the best car as it sways and rolls a bit on the curves and undulations, but even then this was a relaxing drive.
Usual challenges with overtaking on 2 lanes only. you can get stuck behind a bullock cart or slow truck for a bit.
I drove the last segment of the return trip at night and its not nice as the roads are dark and there are constantly bikes, mopeds (with no lights), cycles and people strolling leisurely on the highway!
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:14   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Did you drive to Pondy and if yes, which route did you take?

My BIL has a booking at Pondy for this weekend and he was wondering whether to take Hosur road or Kolar-Chittoor-Arcot-Pondy.

KK
Old 5th October 2016, 12:36   #1575
BHPian

I would be driving to Pondy on Monday. Would most probably take the Kolar route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Did you drive to Pondy and if yes, which route did you take?

My BIL has a booking at Pondy for this weekend and he was wondering whether to take Hosur road or Kolar-Chittoor-Arcot-Pondy.

KK
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks