Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 21:26   #3301
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Driving down to Chennai tomorrow to attend a function in Medavakkam. This is the first time i will have to take the Mudichur-Tambaram route and hence have a couple of queries.

1) Is there a direct turn off from NH4 into the Manimangalam-Mudichur road or should one go till Rajiv Gandhi memorial for the U Turn or is that also closed and one needs to go further. The last few updates on this route on this thread are a bit confusing. Maps shows one needs to go much further till the end of Sriperumbudur to take the U turn. I dont recall vehicles taking that u turn in all my rides this year.

2) How is the above route after the rains? Would the SH48 route via Sriperumbudur-Panrutti- Mannivakkam- Vandalur route be a better option? I guess for this route there is a direct turn off from NH4. However I got caught very badly in traffic on GST road near perungaluthur when returning from Trichy in January so would like to avoid this unless the mudichur road is very bad.
anandhsub is offline  
Old 12th December 2019, 21:43   #3302
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,954
Thanked: 11,025 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
1) Is there a direct turn off from NH4 into the Manimangalam-Mudichur road or should one go till Rajiv Gandhi memorial for the U Turn or is that also closed and one needs to go further.
I think U turn even at the Gandhi memorial is blocked. If you go further, you will end up going all the way till the toll. Instead at the Memorial go into Sriperumbudur and take a U the to come back.



Quote:
2) How is the above route after the rains? Would the SH48 route via Sriperumbudur-Panrutti- Mannivakkam- Vandalur route be a better option? I guess for this route there is a direct turn off from NH4. However I got caught very badly in traffic on GST road near perungaluthur when returning from Trichy in January so would like to avoid this unless the mudichur road is very bad.
Mudichur/Manimagalam is always a good option.


Also note I think on the Pallavaram radial road, there is a flyover construction ongoing at the Medavakkam cross. Dont know what is its status today.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2019 at 21:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 21:51   #3303
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,345
Thanked: 1,735 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Driving down to Chennai tomorrow to attend a function in Medavakkam. This is the first time i will have to take the Mudichur-Tambaram route and hence have a couple of queries.
I can comment on the Mudichur - Tambaram route. The road is fairly decent and very much motorable. This would be the shortest route to reach Medavakkam.

Name:  3a60y4u8.png
Views: 657
Size:  67.7 KB

You will have to just take the flyover at tambaram that seperates mudichur from east tambaram/ medavakkam and just head in the same direction. Medavakkam should take about 25 mins from the tambaram flyover under normal traffic conditions.

Please don't take the perungalathur route unless you wanna do a terrestrial survey of the worst roads in chennai

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th December 2019 at 21:55.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 07:30   #3304
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,191
Thanked: 8,796 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Maps shows one needs to go much further till the end of Sriperumbudur to take the U turn. I dont recall vehicles taking that u turn in all my rides this year.

Yes, even during my last trip to chennai(3-4 weeks back), the map asked me to go further ahead and then take the "U" turn but actually the right was open.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 07:50   #3305
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,954
Thanked: 11,025 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, even during my last trip to chennai(3-4 weeks back), the map asked me to go further ahead and then take the "U" turn but actually the right was open.
Last time I went, The U turn was off at Gandhi memorial. So I thought I will go further up. Ended all the way till the toll booth. Then I thought no point turning back and continued.

Again when I went, I realized no point going till toll booth. So took left at Gandhi memorial, went into the town for some distance, took a U and came back to the Gandhi memorial junction. Then I turned back towards Tambaram/Oragadam exit junction.

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2019 at 08:40. Reason: typo fixed
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 08:10   #3306
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,191
Thanked: 8,796 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Last time I went, The U turn was off at Gandhi memorial. So I thought I will go further up. Ended all the way till the toll booth. Then I thought no point turning back and continued.
I did this once when I missed both the right turn and then the "U" turn . I just continued via the city route.

Quote:
Again when I went, I realized no point going till toll booth. So took left at Gandhi memorial, went into the town for some distance, took a U and came back to the Gandhi memorial junction. Then turn back towards Tambaram/Oragadam exit junction.
This is a good idea, if the right is closed or if you miss the right.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 11:05   #3307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 523
Thanked: 1,589 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I did this once when I missed both the right turn and then the "U" turn . I just continued via the city route.

This is a good idea, if the right is closed or if you miss the right.
I did Bangalore-Sriperumbudur-Mudichur-Tambaram on 26th November.
U-turn at Rajiv Gandhi memorial was blocked. The U-turn was allowed at the next junction (look for Cafe Coffee Day or Madurai Kannapar on right side in Gmaps). There was no need to go all the way to Toll plaza to make the U-turn.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 19:08   #3308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Thanks for all the updates. I just reached medavakkam and the u turn was allowed at Rajiv Gandhi memorial. The direct right turn wasn't though. I think you need to travel a short distance in the wrong side of a service road if you have to take this right turn and there were police right there. The mudichur road is quite good with little traffic even at peak hours. I messed up however by following gmaps which asked me to take the MIT flyover and routed via some very narrow roads which had 10x the cattle vs the human population. Should have stuck to the pallavaram flyover route.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 22:13   #3309
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 3,574
Thanked: 5,961 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Kind of a late update, onward journey I had mentioned details here (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries)

Chennai - Bangalore - 02-Dec

Started from home at Vadapalani at 02.00 PM. Chennai bye-pass got some real bad sections causing long delays, that plus slight drizzle means it took 1.5 hours to reach Chennasamudaram toll.


Roads till here are in bad conditions at multiple sections. It is not that the roads are bad all around, the bad sections suddenly pops up. Also, like earlier, lanes towards Chennai are in better conditions than the lanes towards Vellore.

Video from my dashcam of the bad sections



Took another one hour to reach CCD along with HP bunk before Pallikonda petrol bunk.

Past that the road conditions are good and hence was able to reach till Hosur without any issues. However, due to rains there were few sections around Hosur were water had accumulated on road.


Water logging near Hosur on NH

mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 06:02   #3310
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,177
Thanked: 7,389 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I just returned on Friday morning Bangalore to Chennai and took the Chittoor Kolar route. That road is near on empty these days, very little traffic and if you are driving a Scorpio why bother about bad roads near Chittoor? (I most definitely wouldn’t want to do those roads in a sedan, doable but much more uncomfortable I would say). The tolls had hardly one or two vehicles in each lane till the usual crowds started at Ranipet, and bonus - under Rs 250 in tolls.
hserus is online now  
Old 16th December 2019, 15:12   #3311
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Started from home at Vadapalani at 02.00 PM. Chennai bye-pass got some real bad sections causing long delays, that plus slight drizzle means it took 1.5 hours to reach Chennasamudaram toll.
Yesterday night when I was exiting Chennai the byepass was closed in the Poonamallee-Maduravoiyal direction for about 250m and the vehicles were being diverted into my side making it a single lane for a short while.

Either the opposite side is so bad that it had to be closed or they have finally started work on fixing the stretch. Hopefully the latter.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 16:33   #3312
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,177
Thanked: 7,389 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Yesterday night when I was exiting Chennai the byepass was closed in the Poonamallee-Maduravoiyal direction for about 250m and the vehicles were being diverted into my side making it a single lane for a short while.

Either the opposite side is so bad that it had to be closed or they have finally started work on fixing the stretch. Hopefully the latter.
Yes. Roadwork is ongoing - I crossed it during the daytime and people were working on the other side.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 08:36   #3313
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Given the situations with countrywide CAA protests and 144 in Bangalore which route to Vellore from Bangalore will be relatively safe ? Via Chittor or Krishnagiri ?
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 08:56   #3314
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 3,243
Thanked: 5,143 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I just returned on Friday morning Bangalore to Chennai and took the Chittoor Kolar route. That road is near on empty these days, very little traffic and if you are driving a Scorpio why bother about bad roads near Chittoor? (I most definitely wouldn’t want to do those roads in a sedan, doable but much more uncomfortable I would say). The tolls had hardly one or two vehicles in each lane till the usual crowds started at Ranipet, and bonus - under Rs 250 in tolls.
Yes, you save a bit on toll compared to the Krishnagiri route. I've been sticking to this route always since last year. Makes sense for me since I stay in Bangalore East.

If those WiP stretches are done, it will be a breeze. I sometimes cut off to Vellore after Chittoor to avoid some of the bad stretch and the railway gate.
One thing I noticed was, when it was a single lane road, truck traffic was quite a bit and I remember how frustrating it got. Now after it has become a laned road, I hardly see any trucks, which in other words is good.

Last edited by tharian : 19th December 2019 at 08:58.
tharian is offline  
Old 19th December 2019, 09:36   #3315
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,345
Thanked: 1,735 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Given the situations with countrywide CAA protests and 144 in Bangalore which route to Vellore from Bangalore will be relatively safe ? Via Chittor or Krishnagiri ?
The same concern exactly! Is it safe to travel to bangalore from Chennai on Sunday, the 22nd of December? Which would be the safest route?
Warwithwheels is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks