Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 13:30   #706
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I would like to know if anyone has tried the Bangalore-Kolar-Chitoor-Thamaraikulam-Sholinghur -Tiruttani-Tiruvallur-Chennai route?

The reason is for a trip to Tiruvallur and Tiruttani.
The Madras-Tiruvallur-Tiruttani is an awful road, most headed to Tirupati take the Tada-Kalahasti route. You don't have much choice in your case, but drive if you must.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 20:18   #707
BHPian

Hi, I did this route last month to visit Sholinghur.

Roads are OK. Be careful if you are driving in the night as there are no reflectors and there are medians without markings.

Also beware of the oncoming lorry traffic between Tirutani and Thiruvallur as the road is only 2 lanes.

Thiruvallur - Chennai is a good road. recently made, but a bit bumpy.
and finally

Welcome to Madras!
Ajay
ajay2233 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 12:23   #708
BHPian

I did a round trip over the long weekend.

Hebbal - KR Puram - Kolar - Mulbagal - Palamaner - Gudiyattam - Pallikonda- Chennai. Did it in 6 hrs with a 30 min break at HP pump+Aryas in Pallikonda. Palamaner Gudiyattam took me around 45 min to 1 hr and I reached pallikonda in 3 hrs flat from Hebbal. Road widening is happening all the way in tamilnadu stretch of gudiyattam to palamaner.

In return direction came via krishnagiri hosur. As many people have said, 6 lane work is happening. The only stretch which slows you down is from krishnagiri to hosur. Otherwise this route is still the best.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:26   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Did the usual GQ route last weekend.

1. Many patches, especially from Sriperumbudur to Vellore stretch.

2. At least two diversions.

3. Looks like some bridge is under construction near Vellore.

Otherwise traffic was mild enough to do a constant 120-130.
Templelhof, my personal opinion, GQ is not worth the toll we pay. 120-130 is good, but when you got to turn and hit patch work it gets a little scary. I've taken NH4 the last 4 times and find that to be rather enjoyable. The 85 km stretch from KR Puram until the toll road ends is just a driving bliss. And about 150 kms from KR Puram is my favorite eating destination - Nandi Plaza. The driving pleasure exponentially deteriorates once I hit Ranipet and join GQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I did a round trip over the long weekend.

Hebbal - KR Puram - Kolar - Mulbagal - Palamaner - Gudiyattam - Pallikonda- Chennai. Did it in 6 hrs with a 30 min break at HP pump+Aryas in Pallikonda. Palamaner Gudiyattam took me around 45 min to 1 hr and I reached pallikonda in 3 hrs flat from Hebbal. Road widening is happening all the way in tamilnadu stretch of gudiyattam to palamaner.

In return direction came via krishnagiri hosur. As many people have said, 6 lane work is happening. The only stretch which slows you down is from krishnagiri to hosur. Otherwise this route is still the best.
Prabhu, I am surprised. I find NH-4 quicker and a far more pleasant driving experience.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:24   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by araman2 View Post
Templelhof, my personal opinion, GQ is not worth the toll we pay. 120-130 is good, but when you got to turn and hit patch work it gets a little scary. I've taken NH4 the last 4 times and find that to be rather enjoyable.
I have gone in the OMR a few years back - yes the toll is high, but my requirements for a drive are slightly different

In fact. more than the BLR-MAA GQ, I like the Bangalore - Madurai stretch...
Old 28th March 2012, 09:50   #711
BHPian

friends,

I have driven to chennai on last friday to attend Jeep thrills Annual event.

Started 5.30pm from hebbal-Bangalore, driven thru ring road to KR Puram,hoskote,Palmneer,Ranipet and Chennai.Reached Adayar by 10.30Pm in a THAR CRDe with small stop near by Palmneer for a self replace of a fused 130/100 HL bulb and fuel fill at Ranipet.

Similarly left chennai by 6pm on saturday.Driven same route back, reached 11pm Hebbal-Bangalore , stopped at every coffee day on the way @ 4nos for hot chocolate(As i was too tired) @ 15min at each place.

Road condition is excellent and paid a total toll of 70Rs.

Last edited by Rajith : 28th March 2012 at 09:55.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:43   #712
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Rajith. I am planning to shift back to OMR after my last weekend trip to Bangalore. While going it took me 6 1/2 hours via GQ with a stop of about 20 minutes after spending almost Rs.250 on toll. While coming back it took me 5 hours non stop via OMR. The stretch between Thiruvalam & Walajah took some time for crossing over, may be next time I will try to see if going via Vellore makes any difference though it is longer by about 20 kms.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:49   #713
Senior - BHPian

Yes, past several trips of mine was all through OMR route. The toll we pay in NH7-NH46-NH4 route is useless. No maintenance of roads, and I see that they are adding the number of tolls + increasing the tolls too.

I think Govt. have tasted the flavor of toll, and will never do any improvement to the infrastructure. We are forced to keep paying :(

Not to mention the reduction of about 40KMs from home to home for me when I use OMR route.
Old 28th March 2012, 17:51   #714
Senior - BHPian

I did B'lore-Madras last weekend via Hosur-Vellore route.
In its current state, I agree that the toll we pay is not worth the entire route.

There are multiple diversions between Krishnagiri-Vellore and I believe after Ambur, there is a bridge construction work going on with only single lane for one way. I got stuck between a fully loaded truck and for almost 2 to 3 kms, need to drive at dead slow speed tailing the truck and there is huge car pile up behind me in short time. Lot of time wasted.

Also, the 6 lane work between Hosur-Krishnagiri slows you down heavily.
In total, it is not quite safe to drive at night in good speed between Hosur-Vellore.
Beyond vellore till poonamalle, the road condition is not that good and all in all the toll we pay is not worth for the roads and also the travel time is now definitely 6+ hours for sure.

If we are are travelling with family in day time, then this route could be good due to advantage of good hotels/breaks all throughout.

I'll be driving via OMR-Chittoor-Ranipet route this friday again and will see how it fares compared to Hosur route.

@araman2, in which side Nandi plaza restaurant, comes if we drive from bangalore? I wanted to stop for breakfast and looking for good hotels in OMR route.

-Ravi
Old 2nd April 2012, 23:54   #715
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned earlier, did B'lore-Chittoor-Madras on friday and in return journey took the usual GQ route Madras-Vellore-Hosur-B'lore.

A quick comparison between two routes in its current state.

B'lore-Chittoor-Ranipet-Madras
Pros:
1) Time and Distance wise shorter than GQ
2) Super advantage of just 2 tolls in entire 320 km stretch - Paid only Rs. 55/-
3) Good Roads throughout, except for few short stretches here and there between Mulbagal and Chittoor. Nothing much to complain.
4) Nothing new to talk about super 4L roads till Mulbagal. Did it in just 1 hour.
5) Can easily get average distance coverage of 75 to 80 km per hour in normal cars.
6) Saw one company operated BPCL in right side after few kms between chittoor to Ranipet.

Cons:
1) 2 lane from Mulbagal till Ranipet. Need more cautious driving compared to GQ. No comfort territory or high speed areas in this section.
2) Lots of Trucks. Timing of travel is important. I started from B'lore OMR Big Bazaar at 7:15 am and reached Koyambedu at 12:15 pm including about 20 mts break in Nandi Plaza.
3) Bit More tiring drive (due to cautious 2L driving) than GQ.
4) Not many good restaurants like in GQ. But CCDs are saviours I guess, but not tried it. Nandi plaza is fine and decent enough.
5) Watch out for Rash driving APSRTC/KSRTC drivers in 2L apart from truck drivers.
6) There are many blind up climbs. What i mean here is there are small climbs in the roads and the moment you climb up, you notice someone is casually crossing the road or a slow moving vehicle in front of you which is not visible at long distance. Need to watch out for this.

B'lore-Hosur-Vellore-Madras
Pros
1) Complete 4L is great advantage, but it is losing the same advantage due to 6L work in progress.
2) Good for driving with family/kids due to advantage of good hotels or for breaks.
3) Comfort zone for many, as usual drivers know what comes next.

Cons:
1) Very expensive and too many tolls. Pallikonda and Wallajah tolls were increased to Rs. 65/= each starting Apr 1st.
2) Not worth the roads for the toll we pay. It was better earlier, but not now.
3) Too many diversions and no shoulder between Vellore-Hosur. Absolutely not safe for night driving. Strongly recommend not to overtake from left because the barricades they have kept have fallen down in many places and if your wheels hit it in high speed, it is extremely dangerous that you may fall in the excavation in left side.
4) Roads from Kancheepuram to Madras - tons of patches with lots of sand lorries.
5) The additional 40 kms in GQ route is really killing more time, because it is in heavy traffic section, mainly around Hosur which is very painful IMO.

I tried several times, and this is what happens always. Madras to Krishnagiri is 220 kms and I normally reach in 3 hrs. Krishnagiri to B'lore is 90 kms and it usually takes 2.5 hrs + additional 30 mts break in Chinnar A2B for fuel and food. Not at all proportionate !

IMO, atleast for next 1 to 2 years or until 6L work gets completed, OMR route to madras is a better option for now

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 2nd April 2012 at 23:55.
ravib is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:19   #716
J.Ravi

Good comparison. I too drove via Kolar/Chittoor during February 2012 after many years and would continue to do so in view of dangerous conditions prevailing on NH 7/46 due to 6-laning works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
4) Roads from Kancheepuram to Madras - tons of patches with lots of sand lorries.
Actually, this section is common to both the routes, and hence, applicable for both the alternatives. Sand-laden trucks spilling sands on the road-users coming behind are common sight round-the-clock.

Old 3rd April 2012, 13:34   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
IMO, atleast for next 1 to 2 years or until 6L work gets completed, OMR route to madras is a better option for now
Had done this route (alone) in December. Now, I will be going to Chennai next week to drop family off for summer vacations. Most likely will take this route.

The main unknown I felt in this route is the slow crawl through Walajah town just before joining the GQ.
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:15   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Had done this route (alone) in December. Now, I will be going to Chennai next week to drop family off for summer vacations. Most likely will take this route.

The main unknown I felt in this route is the slow crawl through Walajah town just before joining the GQ.
What you could do is take the detour to Katpadi & join NH46 at Vellore byepass, though longer I think it would be the less painful the passing through Ranipet, the stretch between Thiruvalam & Walajah is a pain.
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:43   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
What you could do is take the detour to Katpadi & join NH46 at Vellore byepass, though longer I think it would be the less painful the passing through Ranipet, the stretch between Thiruvalam & Walajah is a pain.
If i look at it in a different perspective, since binand is traveling with family, atleast he has a town to pass through to take a break/buy things for kids etc, because all other towns we by pass completely.

Agree it takes time to crawl through slow traffic there, but doesn't warrant to take a detour which is longer.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 3rd April 2012 at 18:44.
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:01   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand

You can take right in rain pet and join NH46 just after palat bridge. Avoids walajah.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks