Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 23:36   #121
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
A friend tells me the speedbreakers on this road are being removed. Whoever checks first, please post an update here.
Only 2 car-breakers have been reduced in intensity on the stretch between Sarjapura Circle & junction of Sarjapura Road - Varthur Road (NH207, not the road from Marathahalli junction towards Whitefield). 3 car-breakers remain on either side of Varthur Police Station and 1 near Varthur Market.

The other speedbreakers remain - which means it is viable for cars to take the Outer Ring Road until Iblur junction and then take Sarjapura Road followed by turning right at Sarjapura Circle to reach Attibele.

Cars are still advised to avoid the road from Whitefield till junction of Sarjapura Road - Varthur Road (NH207, not the road from Marathahalli junction towards Whitefield). Good news is the stretch of NH207 along Varthur Kere (lake) now has streetlamps.

2 new restaurants have opened on NH4 just before the railway overbridge that leads to Arakkonam (exactly 6 km after the L&T factory when coming from Chennai) - Kanaka Sarovar and Satya Ganapathy Veg A/C- will need exploring.

Roadwork happening on the left lane on Hosur flyover (towards Bangalore) - keep right now.

Last edited by hrag : 1st February 2009 at 23:40.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:25   #122
BHPian

Road Relaid between Wallajahpet & Kanchipuram

Hi,
Had been to Ambur yesterday using the Chennai Bangalore GQ and Down road stretch from Wallajahpet (after Toll) and Kanchipuram has been relaid. It provides a smoother drive but we would need to be careful during Nights as this stretch has the road markings and reflectors removed. Can make driving difficult if your car has a weak Headlight (my Verna has the stock bulbs) and if there are any vehicles on the opposite side with dazzling HID lamps. Had a close shave once trying to find the right shoulder when overtaking a truck.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:12   #123
BANNED

Did you get stuck anywhere in piled up traffic? I wasted 20 minutes last evening thanks to the road laying and diversion of traffic resulting in traffic jams.

Stock headlights are more than enough sir - believe me. They only need to be aligned and levelled properly. Of course, your windshield needs to be clean as well.

Edit: yes, as they say, the cheaper the newspaper, the cleaner the windshield.

Last edited by hrag : 2nd February 2009 at 16:21.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:15   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Of course, your windshield needs to be clean as well.

preferably washed with plain water and dried with newspaper (ThinaThanthi)...amazing results : the windshield glass would seem to have disappeared.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:51   #125
Senior - BHPian

Everyone esp Hrag,

Thanks for your inputs and updates on the BLR-MDS routes.

I'm planning to drive down to Singara Chennai 21st morning. Mostly alone, ride along anyone?

The GQ route, apart from the Silkboard-Electronics city mayhem, what should one look out for? Going by the thread, most of the potholes and issues are sorted out?
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:59   #126
BANNED

Post 120 has the current hotspots other than the usual trucks racing at 23 kph between Hosur & Krishnagiri. Careful at Ambur & Vellore - NH46 passes through the towns and people cross without looking.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:17   #127
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Post 120 has the current hotspots other than the usual trucks racing at 23 kph between Hosur & Krishnagiri. Careful at Ambur & Vellore - NH46 passes through the towns and people cross without looking.
Be careful with TVS 50's they are the BOSS in this Highway.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:27   #128
BHPian

Quote:
hrag, Leave the people, buses/cars take a turn without any indication & they don't care a damm for the oncoming vehicle. Drove to Chennai on Friday, there are traffic signals near Ambur & Vellore, signals on highway..

A bus stopped right on the highway taking the turn from the right opposite side, my esteem just managed to brake on time from 100km speed. Drank some water to get going.. Wondering what is the other option if the vehicle does not stop on time, should I use the hand brake similar to something we see in hollywood movies.

I left Bangalore at 6:10 PM, had snacks at AAB, dinner at Vellore Saravana Bhavan, best part was reaching chennai. Huge pile up of lorries after 11:30, took me one hour to cover the last 10-15kms streach and reached my home in Annanagar. The poonamalle road is slowly getting back to its old shape.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:14   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Drove to Chennai on Friday, there are traffic signals near Ambur & Vellore, signals on highway..
Vellore? Are you sure? I am aware of Signals in Vaniyambadi and Ambur. I thought Vellore had its share of Flyovers to alleviate the problem except of course people crossing the road behind vehicle lights that you cannot make it out. regarding the visibility, my windshield was clean but the weakness of Verna's stock headlights are well known.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Vellore? Are you sure? I am aware of Signals in Vaniyambadi and Ambur. I thought Vellore had its share of Flyovers to alleviate the problem except of course people crossing the road behind vehicle lights that you cannot make it out. regarding the visibility, my windshield was clean but the weakness of Verna's stock headlights are well known.
I stand corrected, I took a left below the vellore flyover to have my dinner at HSB, I travel once in 4-5 months so memory is little blurred
Old 15th February 2009, 23:38   #131
BANNED

Roadwork happening on the left lane on the 1st flyover (after the toll plaza towards Krishnagiri) at Krishnagiri - keep right on this flyover.

New pothole on Sulagiri bypass on the LHS lane - nothing to worry about in an SUV, but please be careful in a car.
Old 21st February 2009, 18:24   #132
BHPian

Made the trip from Hosur - Bangalore yesterday night, as hrag pointed out the roadwork is happening on 1st flyover at krishnagiri. Also, after Walaja tollgate road has been newly laid and there are no markings on the road for about 10-15 Kms, due to this overtaking is bit difficult (Also due to the oncoming traffic headlights)!
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:20   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Towards Madras:
Road after Walajahpet (Samudram) toll plaza is being re-laid. Affected stretches tonight started at Periyakarambur, passed through Ocheri and ended at Kalathur.

Towards Bangalore:
Traffic towards Madras is diverted to RHS lane of this direction. Starts at Kalathur (identified by the town name sign + "Canara Bank ATM ahead" sign), passes through Ocheri and ends at Periyakarambur.
Towards Madras:
More stretches have been re-laid and the cat's eyes, lane markers etc. are yet to be reinstalled. One has to drive using the centre divider as a reference at night, which can be painful. Looks like mail4loys and I had similar experiences on Friday night.

Towards Bangalore:
No impact as of now. My guess is work in this direction will start soon.

Other updates:
1. Whitefield - Varthur - Sarjapura - Attibele is now easily doable on a car. Those speedbreakers have been reduced in height. Honda Civic and other low GC vehicle owners are still advised to be cautious.
2. 1st flyover after Krishnagiri toll plaza (towards Krishnagiri) is still dangerous on the left lane.
3. Some road work happening on Poonamalee High Road (between the NH4 - Porur turn off and the junction of Poonamalee High Road - Mount Poonamalee Road (SH55).
3. Entering Ambur town from Vellore side, new pothole on the S-curve in the left lane, please stick to the right lane on this S-curve.

General: Idiots with 100/90 and other higher (than OEM) wattage lights need to be hit by Corporation garbage trucks. From all sides.

Suffered sudden air loss in the Indica's front RHS tyre when in the right lane between Bargur and Kandhikuppam last night. Luckily that stretch is a 6 laner - was able to replace the flat on the left lane without affecting normal traffic and /or being run over.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:18   #134
BANNED

NH7 update: 1st flyover after Krishnagiri toll plaza still dangerous on left lane - warning signs etc. have gone but construction debris still remains on the left lane.

NH4 update: Walajapet - Kanchipuram turn off

The road from the Walajapet toll plaza towards Chennai has been relaid almost until the Kanchipuram turn off (after the Arakkonam bridge). This means a great(er) road surface but the lane markers and cat's eyes are not up yet - please be very careful at night.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:57   #135
BANNED

NH4 update:
Road relaid in both directions between Sriperumbudur & Walajapet toll plazas: starts from Kanchipuram turn off and lasts almost the Walajapet toll plaza. BUT lane markers / shoulders have not been painted. Great road during the day - please be careful during the night where idiots with headlamp wattages competing with tyre sizes can blind you.

Most Viewed