Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 10:48   #166
BHPian

Route info required !!!

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Chennai to visit my friend. I intend to start at 4:30 AM from Bangalore to reach Chennai by 10 AM, and return by starting at 3 PM in Chennai to reach Bangalore by 8 ~ 9 PM. I'm a conservative driver and do not wish to rush through. Please advise if the timings are doable.

Also, my friend is going to stay at Hotel Palmgrove, 5, Kodambakkam High Road in Chennai. I need your help with the driving directions from GQ.

Thanks in advance
Old 21st July 2009, 17:38   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrs View Post
Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Chennai to visit my friend. I intend to start at 4:30 AM from Bangalore to reach Chennai by 10 AM, and return by starting at 3 PM in Chennai to reach Bangalore by 8 ~ 9 PM. I'm a conservative driver and do not wish to rush through. Please advise if the timings are doable.

Also, my friend is going to stay at Hotel Palmgrove, 5, Kodambakkam High Road in Chennai. I need your help with the driving directions from GQ.

Thanks in advance
Take the Mount-Poonamalee road at the Poonamalee intersection and at the Porur junction take the left and keep heading straight . Palmgrove will be on your right side before the Gemini signal.

You might hit the city during peak office hours so expect some traffic in this route.
Old 24th July 2009, 05:39   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Take the Mount-Poonamalee road at the Poonamalee intersection and at the Porur junction take the left and keep heading straight . Palmgrove will be on your right side before the Gemini signal.

You might hit the city during peak office hours so expect some traffic in this route.
Thank you Mission_Safari. I've taken the exact route and I didn't have any problems in reaching the destination.

It took 5:30 hours for the total journey with 1:30 hours between Poonamalee and Palmgrove.
Old 31st August 2009, 07:59   #169
BANNED

Waterlogging in many stretches between Vellore and Ambur - please be careful in the rain. Last evening was a blinding downpour near Vellore.

Goodbye Varthur - Sarjapura - Attibele route during late nights / early mornings - it is now faster and safer through Bangalore city (Hosur Road).
Old 1st September 2009, 05:19   #170
BHPian

Route to Tiruthani

Hello,

I am planning to goto Tiruthani to attend a wedding Wednesday morning. Will leave Blr at 5:30am and take the GQ to near Kanchipuram bypass. The map then shows a left turn on SH58 to Arakkonam and Tiruthani. Is this SH58 in good shape? Any other routes? Will I be able to do this in 4 hours? I will be driving an Innova. I have to pick some people near Silk Board so will be taking the GQ only.

I plan to return back after lunch. What time does the traffic hot up on Hosur Road near EC? Should I be taking the Attibelle -> Sarajapur -> ORR road?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 1st September 2009, 09:42   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
Hello,

I am planning to goto Tiruthani to attend a wedding Wednesday morning. Will leave Blr at 5:30am and take the GQ to near Kanchipuram bypass. The map then shows a left turn on SH58 to Arakkonam and Tiruthani. Is this SH58 in good shape? Any other routes? Will I be able to do this in 4 hours? I will be driving an Innova. I have to pick some people near Silk Board so will be taking the GQ only.
!
If you are leaving at around 5.30 in the morning I think it would make sense to stick to the Hosur road you would not lose much time. The road from Kanchipuram to Tiruthani via Arakkonam is very narrow and winding, also you would lose some time trying to cross Arakkonam. Recently I did this stretch from Arakkonam to Kanchipuram the road is in decent shape nothing to worry about especially for Innova. You might take almost an hour to reach Tiruthani from Kanchipuram so 4 hours would be cutting too fine and would possibly mean not stopping anywhere for anything all the way until Tiruthani.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

You could also do Ranipet - Tiruttani. This will help you miss Arakonam town (which is not such a big town). Check out mapmyindia.com. It is around 50 odd kms.

Going to Kancheepuram and then on towards Tiruttani is a roundabout and you will be driving that probably 30 - 40 kms extra which means probably 30min - 1 hr extra.

Just do a directions search for Ranipettai - Tiruttani.

I assume you know the exit to Ranipettai from the GQ. You will bypass Arcot and cross the river bridge. Instead of going up the next bridge you keep to the left which will take you into Ranipettai town. Ask for the road to Sholingur.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
You could also do Ranipet - Tiruttani. This will help you miss Arakonam town (which is not such a big town). Check out mapmyindia.com. It is around 50 odd kms.

Going to Kancheepuram and then on towards Tiruttani is a roundabout and you will be driving that probably 30 - 40 kms extra which means probably 30min - 1 hr extra.

Just do a directions search for Ranipettai - Tiruttani.

I assume you know the exit to Ranipettai from the GQ. You will bypass Arcot and cross the river bridge. Instead of going up the next bridge you keep to the left which will take you into Ranipettai town. Ask for the road to Sholingur.
OK I will do follow the route you suggested csenthil. I don't know the exit to Ranipettai but using your description and wikimapia/mapmyindia I will figure it out. The river bridge you mentioned is called Pallar bridge right?

thanks!
Old 1st September 2009, 14:55   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
OK I will do follow the route you suggested csenthil. I don't know the exit to Ranipettai but using your description and wikimapia/mapmyindia I will figure it out. The river bridge you mentioned is called Pallar bridge right?

thanks!
Once you cross Vellore Palar bridge is the first major river bridge you would come across. Immediately after crossing the bridge instead of taking a flyover take the adjacent road to the flyover. Though you might have to come back onto NH4, cross a part of Ranipet town and then take a right to Sholingur.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:38   #175
BHPian

Actual route could be Ranipettai - Wallajah - Sholingar - Tirutani. Its SH 108 till Sholingar. After Sholingar, after few kms take SH 106 to Tirutani.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:13   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Waterlogging in many stretches between Vellore and Ambur - please be careful in the rain.....
I have experienced this many times. Once saw an idiot in an ANHC hit a waterlogged section at 80kmph. The retarding effect of water has to be seen to be believed.
Avoid the fast lane during heavy downpours. The drainage on the Vellore section of the highway seems to be inadequate.
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:09   #177
BHPian

Thanks guys for the route info. I completed the trip as suggested Bangalore - Ranipet - Sholingur - Thirutani. Started at 5:30 and took 5 hrs with breakfast and a short nature break. Return journey took 6+ hours due to traffic and construction on Hosur Road.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:10   #178
BHPian

Huge Crater

hi,

I traveled to Bangalore from Chennai today morning and some updates

1. There is a huge crater on the road towards Bangalore between Madhanur and Pachakuppam flyover. Be extremely careful and try to slow down a bit and prepared to swerve to avoid(if you are on the slow lane). Hope this is repaired as soon as possible.

2. Roads are being relaid in Hosur-Krishnagiri sector near Chinnar. Be careful of oncoming traffic coming in your lane.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:13   #179
BHPian

Moderators: Merge Octavia discussion with this Thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-highway.html
Old 20th September 2009, 23:41   #180
BHPian

Current Condition - Bangalore - Chennai

Hello:

Just wanted to get an update on the Bangalore - Chennai route after the rains?...anything/stretch to watch out for?. Once i get into Chennai, how do i get to ECR?.

Thanks
Varghese

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks