Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 18:16   #286
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks a lot Ravi. How is the traffic en-route on the highway on early morning weekends ?
There will be very less traffic at the early morning during weekends. But, traffic will pick up slowly, but after Ranipet, where NH 4 and NH 46 merge, traffic will be more towards Chennai.
Quote:
1. For early morning - should i refuel one day before (i prefer shell) or fill up on the route ? Any shells on the way ? The shell on hosur road (before EC1) is it open 24*7 ?
I usually fill my Fiat Linea's tank at BP COCO retail outlet, Chinnar, before Krishnagiri toll plaza [on the left side of NH 7 while going from Bangalore] because the price of petrol is less by Rs 2.50 per litre compared to Bangalore.
Quote:
2. Pit - stops (for early mornings 5am-9am ish)?
I usually leave my Bangalore home by early morning by 4:30 am.

The first pit-stop will be at BP COCO retail outlet/A2B Ghar Dhaba, Chinnar, for tanful petrol for my Fiat Linea and early morning coffee for me at A2B Ghar Dhaba [after 6 am].

The second and last pit-stop [for breakfast] will be at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, a few km from NH 46 bypass - you have to pay for quality.

Quote:
3. Anything specific (dangerous) things to watch out for on the highway ?
Be careful about tractors, two-wheelers and even government buses travelling on the wrong side on the shoulder towards you, especially in villages, near eateries, etc.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 11th June 2010 at 18:19.

Old 14th June 2010, 15:41   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@quadra
Going towards airport? What is the exact area you want to reach? A little longer, but hassle free route will be to go right past Poonamallee, Porur, and take a right turn to the bye-pass road from Maduravoyal to Tambaram. This way you will be entering from Tambaram and can easily drive up to the airport. This is a toll road and will cost about 20 rupees.
Thanks Gansan - i just came back from chennai, was there for the weekend. While going i went straight from ponnamalle - reached a dead end - took right - kombedu bus stand - took right again - and reached staright towards the airport.

While coming back today, i took the left before guindy flyover (when coming from airport) and i reached blore easily. Amazing roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shell I think is open 24X7. But good to tank a day before.
Thanks Ampere - shell was closed by the time i went there (around 11pm) so had to go for BP.

In chennai the extra premium is 54 and normal is 52, funny side is, i tanked up on BP but was seraching for shell all way long. Never found it so used BP.[/quote]

Quote:
A2B, Kamat and CCD. All before Krishnagiri. Nothing else of the way. Saravana Bhavan at Vellore is far from the highway.
All way long i was looking for a decent place to eat, A2B came very early so thought could eat at the next stop, only to find CCD a good 300kms from blr :(. I crashed there and was in very tired.

Quote:
After the Kanchipuram traffic increases esp. with local buses. Need to watch out.
I went in morning so didnt find any issues at all. Traffic was horrible when i landed in chennai but nothing horrible to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
There will be very less traffic at the early morning during weekends. But, traffic will pick up slowly, but after Ranipet, where NH 4 and NH 46 merge, traffic will be more towards Chennai.

I usually fill my Fiat Linea's tank at BP COCO retail outlet, Chinnar, before Krishnagiri toll plaza [on the left side of NH 7 while going from Bangalore] because the price of petrol is less by Rs 2.50 per litre compared to Bangalore.

I usually leave my Bangalore home by early morning by 4:30 am.

The first pit-stop will be at BP COCO retail outlet/A2B Ghar Dhaba, Chinnar, for tanful petrol for my Fiat Linea and early morning coffee for me at A2B Ghar Dhaba [after 6 am].

The second and last pit-stop [for breakfast] will be at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, a few km from NH 46 bypass - you have to pay for quality.

Be careful about tractors, two-wheelers and even government buses travelling on the wrong side on the shoulder towards you, especially in villages, near eateries, etc.
Thanks for the advice Ravi. I started at 5.45am and all went pretty well.

Once again - thank you all for your comments, it definitely gave me a good trip - will write a travelogue soon.
Old 21st July 2010, 21:07   #288

Hi,

I am driving from Bangalore to Chennai this month end. From the above posts, looking to go via Maduravoyal - Chennai bye pass to reach Tambaram.
I am not sure of the Maduravoyal flyover status. Would like to know if I can take a right turn at ground level or should go up the ramp to get into the bye pass. Could someone tell me the way?
Old 21st July 2010, 21:43   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murugaveln View Post
Hi,

I am driving from Bangalore to Chennai this month end. From the above posts, looking to go via Maduravoyal - Chennai bye pass to reach Tambaram.
I am not sure of the Maduravoyal flyover status. Would like to know if I can take a right turn at ground level or should go up the ramp to get into the bye pass. Could someone tell me the way?
You need to almost do a U-Turn in the ground to get to the bridge. Make sure you stick to the right the moment you see the "End of Toll Road" board after Vanagaram. just below the bridge, you need to take a U-turn and immd turn left. You can follow the traffic and there are cops guiding/managing too. Ofcourse, not all the time
Old 30th July 2010, 13:06   #290

Thanks MJothi. I am travelling tomorrow and will follow this.
Old 30th July 2010, 13:33   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
You need to almost do a U-Turn in the ground to get to the bridge. Make sure you stick to the right the moment you see the "End of Toll Road" board after Vanagaram. just below the bridge, you need to take a U-turn and immd turn left. You can follow the traffic and there are cops guiding/managing too. Ofcourse, not all the time
No! Keep to the left of the road and as soon as you sight the bridge be ready to climb the ramp that appears on your left and it will take you to the Tambaram bypass. There will be signboards indicating the direction to Tambaram as you approach the ramp. I have taken it thrice in the past two months.

The ground level right turn towards Tambaram is now closed.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th July 2010 at 13:39.
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:52   #292

Thanks Gansan. The ramp is open and I took it to get into the bypass to Tambaram.

It was a nice journey except for the holdup at Hosur temporary bus stand and traffic after Ranipet. I cruised at 90-100 kmph till Ranipet. Was able to do 50-60 after that till Maduravoil and then 80-90 in the bypass. Reached Tambaram in 6 hours (354 kms) with one break.
Old 30th August 2010, 21:31   #293
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Chennai & Chennai - Bangalore

Hello all.

Yup, know there are a lot of threads out there that have covered this route but I needed the latest information since me and 4 others are planning a bike ride this weekend to Chennai from Bangalore and back.

I am considering the following:

1. The weather - with monsoon showers on, which is the safest and best route.
2. Entering Chennai from Bangalore - need to get to Mugappair - which route is best in this case.
3. Returning from Chennai on Sunday afternoon - considering the traffic that starts off from Chennai (all cars) - which is the better route - does the Chennai - AP - Bangalore route have lesser traffic than the Chennai - Vellore - Bangalore route?
4. I also read somewhere that there is some road work/construction going on in the Chennai - AP - Bangalore route - is it bad for bikes? Can we still maintain good speeds (> 80kmph)

Would appreciate your help in this regard. Please do remember we are riding - not driving...
Old 30th August 2010, 21:37   #294
Team-BHP Support

Not at all worth taking the AP route via Chotoor. Heavy traffic 2L NH4.
Add to it lots of diversion between Bangalore-Kolar due to 4L work.

Take the time and tested NH7/46/4.
Old 30th August 2010, 22:16   #295
BHPian

I just did the chennai - blr - chennai route a couple of days back.

I drove down the vellore route.

While going to bangalore on thursday there was quite a lot of bus/lorry traffic.

While coming back on sunday the traffic was sparse and I was able to do 120 comfortably.

But one thing I did notice was that the road has quite a lot of curves and one needs to drive very cautiously especially if driving >100.

I second ampere on route suggested.

Drive safe.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:17   #296
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Take NH7 - NH4 route. Once you cross look for the 100ft road poonamallee road junction. Till there it's straight NH4.
Take left on 100 ft road and cross the bridge on river coovum and you'd reach Tirumangalam. Take left on Tirumangalam water tank to go to Mugappair.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:32   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Blr - Hosur road - krishnagiri - vellore - chennai
2. Entering Chennai from Bangalore - need to get to Mugappair - which route is best in this case.
Already told above
3. Returning from Chennai on Sunday afternoon - considering the traffic that starts off from Chennai (all cars) - which is the better route - does the Chennai - AP - Bangalore route have lesser traffic than the Chennai - Vellore - Bangalore route?
Same route backwards
4. I also read somewhere that there is some road work/construction going on in the Chennai - AP - Bangalore route - is it bad for bikes? Can we still maintain good speeds (> 80kmph)
Not sure - someone who did this recently might advice
Try leaving as early as possible (but not before 4am). I ususally prefer to leave blr by 5am. Have breakfast at A2B or kamaths (60kms from blr). Then a straight drive till chennai with few pitstops.

Around 6 toll boths to collect a total (approx) of 200rs from you (one side) so keep the change ready - if you on bike i think you wont be charged

Ride Safe - use proper gear.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:35   #298
Team-BHP Support

Note: You wont find any A2B.Kamat like places after Krishnagiri but only roadside tea shops.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:12   #299
BANNED

I did Bengaluru - Chennai via Vellore couple of weeks back on car. The roads are excellent. Was able to cover Bengaluru(E-city) - Sriperambadur in about 5 hours. Expect traffic after Sriperambadur. Best time would be start in the morning from Bengaluru. As advised by Ampere there seems to be no good restaurants on the Krishnagiri - Chennai route.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:27   #300
Senior - BHPian

Happy to see a biker
Quote:
Anyday it will be NH7-NH46-NH4; which is, BLR-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chennai. Avoid entering into Chennai by evening or early morning to avoid rains

Quote:
Will post you a detailed map soon; for now it will be, NH4 & take the new grade separator at Maduravoyal, hit Ambattur industrial estate & then go to Muappair. DO NOT take Annanagar/Thirumangalam route, you'll get exhausted & waste lot of time.

Quote:
My take will always be start early morning & reach BLR safely. Once again take the NH4-NH46-NH7 route.

Quote:
I guess you're talking about the Kolar & Bagalur road. If that's the case, forget 60 Kmph mark.

Quote:
Please do remember we are riding - not driving...
Welcome to Chennai fellow biker

Last edited by aargee : 31st August 2010 at 09:28.

Most Viewed