Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 19:23   #421
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Wow! it sure is encouraging to know that OMR is not in that bad state. If my travel plan is finalized, I am thinking of taking the GQ on the way to BLR with the route suggested in the above post by ampere and OMR on the return trip to Chennai. That should really be a clock-wise round trip
Old 7th May 2011, 12:46   #422

Re: Bangalore - Chennai & Chennai - Bangalore

Hi,

I need to travel to Hebbal (near Sanjay Nagar CBI bus stop) in Bangalore in a couple of weeks from Chennai to visit my aunt. She tells me that to reach her place, the easier option is to take the NH4 (kolar, chittoor, ranipet, poonamallee) route as it would avoid going through a lot of bangalore city traffic. But, given the advice here, I am thinking of sticking to the Krishnagiri route. Is there a way to avoid the b'lore city traffic still? I have never driven to bangalore before and dread the confusing one-ways there.
Old 8th May 2011, 07:59   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriviswa View Post
Hi,

I need to travel to Hebbal (near Sanjay Nagar CBI bus stop) in Bangalore in a couple of weeks from Chennai to visit my aunt. She tells me that to reach her place, the easier option is to take the NH4 (kolar, chittoor, ranipet, poonamallee) route as it would avoid going through a lot of bangalore city traffic. But, given the advice here, I am thinking of sticking to the Krishnagiri route. Is there a way to avoid the b'lore city traffic still? I have never driven to bangalore before and dread the confusing one-ways there.
I'd imagine the advice would be to stick to the GQ route (Vellore/Krishnagiri/Hosur). I am also interested in the how-to-bypass-Bangalore query. The NICE Ring Road is what everyone recommends (see: National Highway 4 to Service Rd - Google Maps) but can't find any up-to-date information on the status of the intersection with Bannerghata Road. Google Maps doesn't show a nice picture: Google Maps

I will be doing Mumbai-Chennai next Sunday, so would really like an update on this.
Old 8th May 2011, 08:39   #424
Team-BHP Support

If you are dpong Mumbai Chennai, NICE road is useful, as it leads you from NH7 to NH4 directly. So that is the route one has to take.

But to reach Hebbal, definitely NH4 via Chittoor is an easier option, as once you reach ORR junction take right and drive to Hebbal. (But there are many constructions on going).

If you want to reach Hebbal from Hosur side, going through the city is the fastest.

In fact from Governor House/Hotel Chaluklya, its a zero traffic drive. But you should know the route. (Its one straight road)

Last edited by ampere : 8th May 2011 at 08:42.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:58   #425

Hi,
Just wondering since @ampere mentions NH4 as an option worth considering...
Can anyone share an update on the road condition of this road. I'm driving Chennai - B'lore on May 13th and was hoping to take the Chittoor - Kolar road to get to my destination, Whitefield.
Thanks
Lux
Old 11th May 2011, 12:05   #426

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Hi Superslick,
Just wondering if you did that trip as planned.
If so, can you share any update on the OMR between B'lore & Chittoor.
If not, safe travels.
Lux
Old 11th May 2011, 15:02   #427
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxative View Post
I'm driving Chennai - B'lore on May 13th and was hoping to take the Chittoor - Kolar road
I am also eager to try Kolar-Chittoor route for my next Chennai visit after 6 years. Kindly update here after your trip, luxative.

Old 11th May 2011, 15:57   #428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But to reach Hebbal, definitely NH4 via Chittoor is an easier option, as once you reach ORR junction take right and drive to Hebbal. (But there are many constructions on going).

If you want to reach Hebbal from Hosur side, going through the city is the fastest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxative View Post
Can anyone share an update on the road condition of this road. I'm driving Chennai - B'lore on May 13th and was hoping to take the Chittoor - Kolar road to get to my destination, Whitefield.
Thanks
Lux
I have travelled B'lore-Chennai extensively last year and as recent as January. The Chittor road in not in that good a condition; as in, it has those intermittent patches where a small layer has come off. To add to it, it doesn't have a divider so traffic can get haywire.

I wouldn't suggest that route actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriviswa View Post
Hi,

What time of the day and which day of the week would you be travelling; that will play the most imp. role in whether you can avoid B'lore traffic.

It would be best to come through the Chennai-B'lore route (via Hosur); continue on NICE road. You could take the Electronic City exit and come via ORR. Longer and traffic yes but you Chennai-B'lore journey will be pleasant.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 18:31   #429
BHPian

There is one more thread discussing Chennai-Bangalore routes. Request mods to merge both the thread
Old 11th May 2011, 19:19   #430
Team-BHP Support

@libran,

I do agree with you on the preferences of NH46 ovet NH4. A person I know, consistently used to do Chennai-Bangalore. And since his destination was close to OMR, he used to take the NH4. The same reason as others mentioned (Getting in and out of Bangalore is easy). Last time he also gave up. That was primarily because of slush/diversions on the Bangalore-Kolar section.

I think he was he always OK with the rest of the route given the advantage at Bangalore. So if the Kolar work is almost done, then for a day time, it make sense to use that road. But night time it may not be all that good.

Also there does not seem to be any plan on NHAI to extend rest of the pending NH4 into a 4L. Not sure, what is the take here.

Last edited by ampere : 11th May 2011 at 19:21.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:43   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also there does not seem to be any plan on NHAI to extend rest of the pending NH4 into a 4L. Not sure, what is the take here.
I guess the existing B'lore-Hosur-Chennai more than suffices the need for a good highway between Chennai and B'lore. And this one is tolled so I doubt if extension of the NH4 and the tolling that too would be such a good idea.

IIRC, NH4 passes quite regularly through towns, right? Especially, the part that passes through AP is a mess. Although Nh46 passes thru' towns too, the roads are decently wide with service lanes on either side.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:46   #432
Team-BHP Support

But that is what I fail to understand. I still believe that NH4 freight is much higher (Bangalore-Channai) than the GQ (Folks please correct if I am wrong).

Hence I was think it might be a good idea for 4L.
Also then why four lane Bangalore-Kolar?
Old 11th May 2011, 20:05   #433
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I guess the existing B'lore-Hosur-Chennai more than suffices the need for a good highway between Chennai and B'lore. And this one is tolled so I doubt if extension of the NH4 and the tolling that too would be such a good idea.
Bangalore-Kolar-Mulabagilu [and further into AP] 4-laning would serve not only Chennai-bound traffic in a shorter route, but also Bangalore-Tirupati/Vijayawada traffic.
Quote:
I still believe that NH4 freight is much higher (Bangalore-Channai) than the GQ
In India, the truck drivers always prefer shorter, toll-free roads. Bangalore-Kolar-Chittoor-Chennai route would surely become a expressway once the work on the proposed Chennai-Bangalore-Mumbai industrial corridor is taken up on priority.

Old 11th May 2011, 20:05   #434
Team-BHP Support

I can't comment of the traffic; maybe many (especially trucks) prefer NH4 because it is not tolled. Btw, I have seen very few private vehicles on NH4; it is mostly the truck traffic.

About the 4-laning; you never know : land acquisition problem, politics, could be anything.

After having travelled on both routes, I'd rather prefer a peaceful 5 hours drive on NH46 and then spend time in the city than having a bumpy ride all throughout!
Old 11th May 2011, 20:09   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I can't comment of the traffic; maybe many (especially trucks) prefer NH4 because it is not tolled. Btw, I have seen very few private vehicles on NH4; it is mostly the truck traffic.
Very much with you there. And those private vehicles would be heading to Tirupati!

Quote:
About the 4-laning; you never know : land acquisition problem, politics, could be anything.
After having travelled on both routes, I'd rather prefer a peaceful 5 hours drive on NH46 and then spend time in the city than having a bumpy ride all throughout!
Good if it comes through. And anytime NH46 is much more peaceful. But having said, one has to time his/her return to Bangalore. Krishnagiri/Hosur/Bagalore are full to brim as all the incoming South zone traffic merges together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks