Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 16:22   #2101
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
I would be travelling from KADUGODI - Whitefield (Bangalore) to Kanchipuram next week.

Please suggest which is better (road condition & fastest). Start time early morning and same day return.

1) Hoskote - Chittoor - Ranipet - Kanchipuram
2) Hosur - Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Kanchipuram
Since you plan to leave early, sticking to the hosur route makes sense courtesy the 6 laned roads. But for the return journey, no second thoughts. Come via Hosur route only.It is bit risky commuting post dusk on the Chittoor route as lorry traffic can be high and you have to commute on 2 laned roads in AP. Overtaking must be done carefully and you might be stressed as well assuming you have work in chennai.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:28   #2102
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest which is better (road condition & fastest). Start time early morning and same day return.

Given that both routes may take approximately the same time and you're starting early, I would say take #1 for onward (you can easily get on to Old Madras Road from Kadugodi via Sai Baba Ashram) and #2 for return
Old 18th September 2015, 23:47   #2103
BHPian

Heading to Chennai on 30th for a friend's wedding. Its in Tiruvottiyur.

On the way, I have to goto Salem (picking up 2 friends) and staying over on 28th and 29th in Pondicherry at another friend's house. Leaving 29th evening from Pondicherry to Chennai.

1st Oct Chennai to Bengaluru I would be taking Krishnagiri - Hosur - Electronic City - NICE Road - BG ROad - JP Nagar.

What would be the route to take for the first part of the journey ?? Also condition of the roads and the approximate toll I might have to pay.

Thanks & Regards,
Aniketh
Old 19th September 2015, 01:50   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Heading to Chennai on 30th for a friend's wedding. Its in Tiruvottiyur.

On the way, I have to goto Salem (picking up 2 friends) and staying over on 28th and 29th in Pondicherry at another friend's house. Leaving 29th evening from Pondicherry to Chennai.

1st Oct Chennai to Bengaluru I would be taking Krishnagiri - Hosur - Electronic City - NICE Road - BG ROad - JP Nagar.

What would be the route to take for the first part of the journey ?? Also condition of the roads and the approximate toll I might have to pay.

Thanks & Regards,
Aniketh
Aniketh,

You can use the following options,

1. Bangalore to Salem - Pretty Straightforward.. An early start should give you a traffic free NH7.

2. Salem to Pondicherry - You can take Salem --> Attur --> Kallakurichi --> Ulundurpet --> Villupuram --> Pondicherry route. The roads are decent between Salem and Kallakurichi with occasional patches. You will join NH 45 once you touch Ulundurpet and it s 4 laned till Pondicherry from there.

3. Pondicherry to Thiruvottiyur - Do not take ECR. Use Pondicherry --> Thindivanam --> Perungalathur --> Chennai Bypass (You need to take left before entering Tambaram) --> Maduravoyil --> Ambattur --> Thiruvottiyur.

Stick to Chennai Bypass till it ends and check locally for the route to Thiruvottiyur from there.. It should not be more than 5-6 kms.

As for return, you can again catch the Chennai Bypass, come till Maduravoyil and catch the Bangalore highway from there.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 20:08   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Aniketh,

You can use the following options,

1. Bangalore to Salem - Pretty Straightforward.. An early start should give you a traffic free NH7.

2. Salem to Pondicherry - You can take Salem --> Attur --> Kallakurichi --> Ulundurpet --> Villupuram --> Pondicherry route. The roads are decent between Salem and Kallakurichi with occasional patches. You will join NH 45 once you touch Ulundurpet and it s 4 laned till Pondicherry from there.

3. Pondicherry to Thiruvottiyur - Do not take ECR. Use Pondicherry --> Thindivanam --> Perungalathur --> Chennai Bypass (You need to take left before entering Tambaram) --> Maduravoyil --> Ambattur --> Thiruvottiyur.

Stick to Chennai Bypass till it ends and check locally for the route to Thiruvottiyur from there.. It should not be more than 5-6 kms.

As for return, you can again catch the Chennai Bypass, come till Maduravoyil and catch the Bangalore highway from there.
Salem to Villupuram is via NH68 right ??? Is that a tolled road (4lane/2lane) ?? Google maps shows one route via Tiruvanamallai.

Also Ullundurpet to Pondicherry, Google maps shows 2 routes:-
1) Via Villupuram
2) Via Cuddalore

Which one would be preferable ??
Old 20th September 2015, 21:37   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Salem to Villupuram is via NH68 right ??? Is that a tolled road (4lane/2lane) ?? Google maps shows one route via Tiruvanamallai.

Also Ullundurpet to Pondicherry, Google maps shows 2 routes:-
1) Via Villupuram
2) Via Cuddalore

Which one would be preferable ??
Yes, It is NH68. Salem to Ulundurpet is not a toll road but Ulundurpet to Villupuram is one. For Pondicherry, take the route via Villupuram.
Old 21st September 2015, 02:45   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If doing an early morning start like 4am from Pondy. Straight forward route can be done Pondy-Tindivanam-Follow on Mount Road(Anna Salai) all the way to the dead end-Right at Flagstaff Road-left at Port towards Secretariat-SN Road through Royapuram-Kasimedu-Thiruvottriyur. Could be done in off-peak afternoon hours too.

If taking Chennai Bypass, he can as well get off at Red Hills-exit towards city-left at Madhavaram-Manali-Thiruvottriyur. Alternatively, can also get off bypass at Maduravoyal towards city and take the 100 ft road at Koyambedu all the way till the end. Would suggest to have Google Maps on for this route. Couple of years back when we did Thiruvottriyur-Minjur and back to 100 ft road, there was no one to stop and ask near Manali-Minjur road junctions.

Quote:
Yes, It is NH68. Salem to Ulundurpet is not a toll road but Ulundurpet to Villupuram is one.
Salem-Ulundurpet has been 4-laned few years back and very much tolled.
Old 21st September 2015, 06:52   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, It is NH68. Salem to Ulundurpet is not a toll road but Ulundurpet to Villupuram is one. For Pondicherry, take the route via Villupuram.
Salem to Ulundurpet has toll plazas at 3 places. I have traveled on this stretch before. In between after the I toll plaza, we have a 2 lane stretch.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:05   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
I would be travelling from KADUGODI - Whitefield (Bangalore) to Kanchipuram next week.

I am travelling to Chennai coming weekend too(Friday early morning), and from Kadugodi as well.
I haven't finalized on the route yet, but am inclined towards the Krishnagiri route because of the conditions on the Chittoor route.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:25   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I am travelling to Chennai coming weekend too(Friday early morning), and from Kadugodi as well.
I haven't finalized on the route yet, but am inclined towards the Krishnagiri route because of the conditions on the Chittoor route.
The Chittoor route is also very good. I had been to Kanipakkam on saturday on the above said route. Even the 2 lane roads in AP are very good to drive.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:39   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Quote:

Agree with Suresh. The route from Chittoor to Walaja is good as well (pretty scenic at places!).

Living at Kasturi Nagar, by the time I would cross Hosur, I could very well cross Mulbagal .

The only negative is, truck traffic. At times, you could get caught behind long & slow moving trucks with heavy oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The Chittoor route is also very good. I had been to Kanipakkam on saturday on the above said route. Even the 2 lane roads in AP are very good to drive.
Old 4th October 2015, 10:23   #2112

Took the chittoor route 2 days. The first 100 kms were 6 lane, then it became 2 lane. It is a very drivable road. Traffic is less. Roads are scenic at places so family was ok . Sharp turns can create blindspots. 80-90 kmph in the 6 lane became 60-80 kmph in the 2 lane. Going to try the hosur road today. Will let you know the feedback.
Old 12th October 2015, 22:09   #2113

Planning a Chennai drive. So checking about this news I read today - - https://twitter.com/TrafflineCHN/sta...52261029359617

Is there any delay in getting to Chennai because of this ? Any one who passed this route recently - can you share your experience?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th October 2015, 21:39   #2114
BHPian

What is the status of ORR from Poonamalee to Vandalur? I am planning to take it instead of Chennai bypass if it is better option...
Old 14th October 2015, 10:49   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
Planning a Chennai drive. So checking about this news I read today - - https://twitter.com/TrafflineCHN/sta...52261029359617

Is there any delay in getting to Chennai because of this ? Any one who passed this route recently - can you share your experience?

Thanks in advance.
That's been in the news from the last 1 year. I drove down to bangalore & back end of September & there was absolutely zero activity.

Notwithstanding that, your drive down that stretch is going to be laboured. The road is in bad shape & there is a lot of heavy vehicle traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks