Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2015, 12:18   #2011
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Though a 3 hour drive to Madras seems impressive, if the dream comes true, As I mentioned in my previous post, i would be sad to see the only beautiful route existing today via V.Kota will also become a 6L NH.

I would second ampere that, better to invest resources and time in existing infrastructure rather than building new one. And also save greenery.

Better not have only 4L/6L NHs - we would also need alternatives ! Best of both is always good IMO.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 1st June 2015 at 12:21.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:40   #2012
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel.
A 120Km/hr Expressway seems too far fetched and I would take such reports with a pinch of salt
That said, the need of the hour is to improve existing routes and focus on the bottlenecks present on those routes now, rather than acquire so much land for a new highway. Let's see how this one pans out
Old 1st June 2015, 13:25   #2013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Though a 3 hour drive to Madras seems impressive, if the dream comes true, As I mentioned in my previous post, i would be sad to see the only beautiful route existing today via V.Kota will also become a 6L NH.

I would second ampere that, better to invest resources and time in existing infrastructure rather than building new one. And also save greenery.

Better not have only 4L/6L NHs - we would also need alternatives ! Best of both is always good IMO.

-Ravi
We need to have 2 sets of routes;one with toll and the other without toll. In that respect , instead of going for a new route, they can upgrade the existing 4 lane stretch from Vellore to Sriperumbudur to a 6 lane one.
Assuming the new expressway comes, i doubt if one can cover door to door distance in less than 4 hours. I really doubt it so.
Old 1st June 2015, 17:05   #2014
BHPian

Did the usual Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore last weekend. Took Chittoor route onward and Hosur route in return. By the road standards few weeks ago, the road conditions have improved significantly (still wavy/bumpy though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
To summarize I am still not able to understand the logic behind opening up one more highway option. Of course no denying that an expressway is always good to have.
One benefit I see is reduced distance (262KM instead of ~350KM). Don't know how much we as a country would save in fuel and if it is worth it.

(Sightly off topic, I personally feel an additional railway line would be far more better than this road. Many I know wouldn't drive if trains are good!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A 120Km/hr Expressway seems too far fetched and I would take such reports with a pinch of salt
+1. Suggest a ton of salt . But a access controlled highway would be boon if the contraptions we see in the current roads are not allowed in the expressway. That way, the amount of caution we need to reserve would be less and the average speed should be better than what it is today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
We need to have 2 sets of routes;one with toll and the other without toll. In that respect , instead of going for a new route, they can upgrade the existing 4 lane stretch from Vellore to Sriperumbudur to a 6 lane one.
Assuming the new expressway comes, i doubt if one can cover door to door distance in less than 4 hours. I really doubt it so.
I saw road on either sides dug up on Walaja till Sriperumpudur last weekend (don't know it is throughout or if it is for 6 laning).

Off topic: It is many times hard to keep 4 hours even within Bangalore!
Old 10th June 2015, 08:30   #2015
BHPian

I am planning to leave to Chennai from Manyata Tech park. Could someone suggest what will be the best route. I always used to go via Hosur route, but seems to be longer and starting at 4PM will make me struck in the traffic. Will the Mulbagal, Chittor Ranipet route is faster or still Hosur route is faster?
Old 10th June 2015, 08:37   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
I am planning to leave to Chennai from Manyata Tech park. Could someone suggest what will be the best route. I always used to go via Hosur route, but seems to be longer and starting at 4PM will make me struck in the traffic. Will the Mulbagal, Chittor Ranipet route is faster or still Hosur route is faster?
4PM would be bad either way. Because to get to NH4 (Kolar option) you will have to cross KR Puram too. But comparatively, I would say Kolar is a better option. But be aware of the road being 2-lane from Mulbagal to Ranipet.

- Kolar bypass has Woodies and CCD for breaks.
- Just before the beginning of Chitoor bypass you have a CCD and a Nandi Plaza.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 09:42   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, the need of the hour is to improve existing routes and focus on the bottlenecks present on those routes now, rather than acquire so much land for a new highway. Let's see how this one pans out
People routinely do faster than that on most stretches of the highway. The bottlenecks are getting outside blr upto attibele (especially below attibele, for those going to sarjapur etc) and some more upto hosur, and then from sriperumbudur / poonamallee / maduravoyal onwards into chennai, where you go down to a fraction of that speed.

So I don't quite see the logic behind this move rather than decongesting the approach roads to both cities.
Old 10th June 2015, 09:52   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
If you are comfortable in driving on a 2 lane road after dark, Kolar route is definitely a better option. The 2 lane section is about 100 kms from KA border to Ranipet. The advantage of this route is that you will hit the highway in 20 minutes from Manyata.
Old 10th June 2015, 10:56   #2019
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
People routinely do faster than that on most stretches of the highway. The bottlenecks are getting outside blr upto attibele (especially below attibele, for those going to sarjapur etc) and some more upto hosur, and then from sriperumbudur / poonamallee / maduravoyal onwards into chennai, where you go down to a fraction of that speed.

So I don't quite see the logic behind this move rather than decongesting the approach roads to both cities.
I meant that an access controlled freeway allowing constant drive at 120kmph is too far fetched.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 11:12   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you intend to leave by 4 PM, the hosur road will be choked with traffic. I would suggest you to go by the Old madras road. Till the KA AP border we have the luxury of 4 lane road. From the border onwards till the Old madras road intersects the hosur road post Ranipet, we have good 2 lane roads. So speed will be a limiting factor on the 2 lane roads.
Also by the time you reach the AP border it will be dark. So be careful while overtaking as the lorry traffic will be high on this route.
Happy and safe Journey.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 12:10   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant that an access controlled freeway allowing constant drive at 120kmph is too far fetched.
Agree there. Also - that makes even more sense, to widen and decongest the main approach roads to the city around sriperumbudur, maduravoyal etc - clear out street vendors, fill potholes, introduce specific lanes for buses and trucks etc.
Old 10th June 2015, 12:16   #2022
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Agree there. Also - that makes even more sense, to widen and decongest the main approach roads to the city around sriperumbudur, maduravoyal etc - clear out street vendors, fill potholes, introduce specific lanes for buses and trucks etc.
Yes sir, need of the hour is to decongest the bottlenecks both inside the cities (roads leading to the highways) as well as to have good bypasses for the towns that have grown alongside the highway now - Bangarupalayam/Ranipet/Walajah/Sriperumbudur as examples.
Imagine what a huge project it would be to acquire land and build a brand new access controlled highway instead of focusing on the decongestion/bypass improvements, project may never materialise

Last edited by NPV : 10th June 2015 at 12:19.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:02   #2023
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Chennai trip over the last couple of days. While the journey itself was uneventful, on the return, stopped at a relatively new place- Hotel Alankar for breakfast, this is ~8-9 km before Vellore town on the left side when coming from Chennai (Maybe 10KM after the Walajah Toll).

A nice restaurant- Good ambiance, tastefully decorated, very good food and excellent restrooms. The staff were also very welcoming and friendly. Chatted with the manager and came to know this place has opened ~2 months ago. Also happened to run into the owner and his family. This is a branch of Hotel Alankar in Vellore town-which is apparently an old joint. Also came to know that, this one and Saisangeet all are owned by the same family.

Highly recommended.

Edit: Adding Map Link

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd June 2015 at 18:10.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:53   #2024
BHPian

Hello all!
I'm planning a Goa to Chennai trip by road next month. And it's pretty much straight forward, till Bangalore!
I see a lot of information about what is read as NICE ring road, on Google maps, that seems to bypass(?) Bangalore city. I plan my first day of travel till there, or almost till there depending on a decent place for an overnight halt. Bangalore to Chennai I'll take the GQ.
Any info on places to halt near the ring road? Any suggestions/advice on getting out of Bangalore, or about the route would be very helpful.

HR.
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:58   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Hello all!
I'm planning a Goa to Chennai trip by road next month. And it's pretty much straight forward, till Bangalore!
I see a lot of information about what is read as NICE ring road, on Google maps, that seems to bypass(?) Bangalore city. I plan my first day of travel till there, or almost till there depending on a decent place for an overnight halt. Bangalore to Chennai I'll take the GQ.
Any info on places to halt near the ring road? Any suggestions/advice on getting out of Bangalore, or about the route would be very helpful.

HR.
Yes that is very much the case, you need to exit onto NICE Expressway. You need to watch out for the exit as you would need to venture into the service road a little ahead. Google/GPS should guide you. Once you enter it, you buy the toll till HOSUR Road exit, which is apparently where the expressway ends. Just take the NICE all the way until the road in itself narrows and bends to join you onto the service lane of Hosur road. You can then join in.

I would strongly suggest you to break after exiting NICE road. Even better if you can drag yourself to Hosur, or Electronics City at the most. This would ensure you can get out of the city hassle free the next morning. Unless you are starting from Bangalore on a Sunday, this holds good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks