Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 17:43   #1876
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks Guys. On the Chennai side, is it advisable to take Tambaram-Oragadam-Walajabad-Kanchipuram route or stick to the Porur-Sriperumbudur route ?
If you are starting from Tambaram, then take the Tambaram-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur road. Its much better than going into Kanchi via Oragadam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 19:22   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks Guys. On the Chennai side, is it advisable to take Tambaram-Oragadam-Walajabad-Kanchipuram route or stick to the Porur-Sriperumbudur route ?
Tambaram to Walajahbad SH is an average one. From Walajahbbad to Kanchi the road is very good but the traffic in Kanchi town can be a pain. I had been on this stretch in October last.
I would suggest you to take the Tambaram-Mudichur-Manimangaalam road to Sriperumbudur. I drove on this stretch in December last and the road is in very good condition.
Old 11th February 2015, 22:00   #1878

Slightly Off topic. Last Sunday when I was riding Bach to Chennai from Bangalore, I counted 11 REs all solo at different points birth ways. And a 200 NS. Any bhpians? I was on my ThunderBird AVL(red).
Old 11th February 2015, 23:10   #1879
BHPian

Planning Bangalore-Chennai this Friday for a pleasure trip. I stay in Banaswadi and plan to start by 5-6am. From the recent posts I felt taking chittoor NH4 is a better option compared to Krishnagiri. Is this the right thing to do?
We plan to make a quick stop either at Kanchipuram or Mahabalipuram before heading to Courtyard,Teynampet. Please suggest the right stop between the two options.
Old 12th February 2015, 06:50   #1880
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinemala View Post
Planning Bangalore-Chennai this Friday for a pleasure trip. I stay in Banaswadi and plan to start by 5-6am. From the recent posts I felt taking chittoor NH4 is a better option compared to Krishnagiri. Is this the right thing to do?
Since you stay closer to Old Madras Road, take the Chittoor route.
Roads are good and you will merge onto the NH46 highway after Ranipet.

I think one option is to stop at Arya Bhavan which is just after the Walajah toll, just few kilometres after you merge onto NH 46 highway from Ranipet. This will also be to your left. After this stop you can proceed to Kanchipuram.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 07:34   #1881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please suggest the right stop between the two options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think one option is to stop at Arya Bhavan which is just after the Walajah toll, just few kilometres after you merge onto NH 46 highway from Ranipet. This will also be to your left. After this stop you can proceed to Kanchipuram.
Do note Arya Bhavan is about 200km up ahead. In case you dont cover long stretches before a break there are still many options.

Woodys at Kolar, Nandi Plaza before Chitoor bypas and quite many Coffee Days and some hotels around Palamaner as well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 08:20   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We plan to make a quick stop either at Kanchipuram or Mahabalipuram before heading to Courtyard,Teynampet. Please suggest the right stop between the two options.
You can also take a break at Adigas somewhere between Kolar and Mulbagal. Since you stay in banaswadi, OMR is the better option but take care while driving especially on the 2 lane stretch post KA AP border till you rejoin the hosur road near Chennasamudiram toll plaza.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 11:26   #1883
BHPian

Thanks Suresg_gs, ampere and NPV. Waanted to quote your replies, but yet to get comfortable with multiquote.

I have done some trips to Tirupati, so I am aware of the road condition after the 4-lane. Good to know all the options for breakfast. I generally don't take quick breaks. So, I guess the first stop to be around Ranipet.

I plan to complete the Kanchipuram visit on the way to chennai. And plan for Mahabalipuram the next day. Can anyone suggest quick places of interest around teynampet, so that we need not spend all the evening at Hotel.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:25   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone suggest quick places of interest around teynampet
Teynamepet is walking distance from T. Nagar, if shopping is your thing.
Old 12th February 2015, 14:12   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone suggest quick places of interest around teynampet, so that we need not spend all the evening at Hotel.
The one thing that you don't have in Bangalore, but in Chennai - BEACH!
-Marina is the closest, but Besant Nagar will be more decent.

Dinner -
1. Rooftop restaurant in The Residency Towers if you want a view of the city.
2. Copper Point in GRT Grand if you want Fine Dining Tamilnadu fair.
Can suggest more if you can tell your preference.

Shopping - Ofcourse T.Nagar Panagal Park. Besides the numerous clothing giants like Pothys, RmKV, TheChennaiSilks, Saravana Stores, NaiduHall, Nalli, there are the street shops lined all along Sir Thyagaraya Road where you can pick up small knick-knacks for anything and everything. You could try Rathna Stores for kitchen utensils/enhancements.

Malls are a standard fare, nothing different than Bangalore. But Express Avenue has a really nice and huge Children activity area much better than any mall in Bangalore, if you have to engage them.

Temples are the next big thing in Chennai culture - you could visit Kabaaleeshwarar Temple in Mylapore.

Hope this should help you pick something for your evening, if not, let me know your specific interest, so can guide better.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2015 at 10:52. Reason: Rule #11, no discussion on alcohol please
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 15:05   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suresg_gs, ampere and NPV. Waanted to quote your replies, but yet to get comfortable with multiquote.

I have done some trips to Tirupati, so I am aware of the road condition after the 4-lane. Good to know all the options for breakfast. I generally don't take quick breaks. So, I guess the first stop to be around Ranipet.

I plan to complete the Kanchipuram visit on the way to chennai. And plan for Mahabalipuram the next day. Can anyone suggest quick places of interest around teynampet, so that we need not spend all the evening at Hotel.
Apart from the Kabalesshwarar temple, we also have the Parthasarathy temple in triplicane (Part of the famed 108 divya desams)
Old 12th February 2015, 23:17   #1887
BHPian

Any improvements on the Walajapet to Poonamalee road conditions (last time the toll booth guy told that if court judgement comes in favor, road conditions would improve and judgement expected on Feb 03)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's heavily patched up and uneven but no potholes when going towards Poonamalee. In the other direction when coming back from Chennai, there are some small potholes here and there but many places it is patched up. Definitely manageable in day time easily. It's a bit uncomfortable when there's heavy truck traffic which starts right after Walajapet toll
So we continue with old problem and pay for it as well!

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 12th February 2015 at 23:32. Reason: Added response from NPV below!
Old 12th February 2015, 23:29   #1888
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Any improvements on the Walajapet to Poonamalee road conditions (last time the toll booth guy told that if court judgement comes in favor, road conditions would improve and judgement expected on Feb 03)?
It's heavily patched up and uneven but no potholes when going towards Poonamalee. In the other direction when coming back from Chennai, there are some small potholes here and there but many places it is patched up. Definitely manageable in day time easily. It's a bit uncomfortable when there's heavy truck traffic which starts right after Walajapet toll
Old 13th February 2015, 06:45   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So we continue with old problem and pay for it as well!
The patchwork quality is such that if you drive pretty fast these patches act as speed breakers resulting in a bump drive. One has to watch for his/her speed in this stretch.
Old 16th February 2015, 11:47   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any improvements on the Walajapet to Poonamalee road conditions
I just did Chennai - Bangalore last weekend. The patch work is bad by NH standards but good by city road standards. I was not slowing down at these stretches because it just doesn't make sense. You will have a slightly bumpy ride but in my Safari it was that much lesser.

The main killer in this trip was the attrocious toll at Nice road !!
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks