Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 12:59   #1741
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Start by 4:30/5. Because 6 would be the time Chennai/Kanchi bus services would also start. It would a good thing to beat them. Murugan Idly, Arya Bhavan, Sai Sangeet CCD etc are some places to halt.
In addition:

Start by 6 => be stuck beyond Sriperumbudur among the various factory shuttle buses operated for shifts ending at 7.

(Seasonal) Start by 6 => fog and very little visibility between Chennai and Kanchipuram.

My ideal timing sees me covering the 4-lane stretch before daybreak.
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:09   #1742
Senior - BHPian

Ah ok. 4 AM then. Won't that put me smack in the path of so many early morning tourist buses heading into koyambedu? Or do they turn off at the maduravoyal bypass so I don't run into them at all?
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:10   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Ah ok. 4 AM then. Won't that put me smack in the path of so many early morning tourist buses heading into koyambedu? Or do they turn off at the maduravoyal bypass so I don't run into them at all?
Most of the buses take the Maduravoyal bypass and should not affect your journey. Leaving Chennai by 4.30 is your best bet for a safe and relatively free highway run.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:03   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Thanks - I hope to see those that responded to help me and are in Chennai at this upcoming Team-bhp Chennai meetup and thank you in person.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3540636
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:15   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You are also better off coming via the Maduravoyal bypass, as Poonamallee town would be in utter chaos at 5 AM in the morning. Cross Porur, make a tight right turn and then left onto the bypass near Saveetha campus.

The buses going towards Koyambedu would be in the opposite carriageway. Don't bother about them.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 19:34   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians

Am reaching this place(http://goo.gl/maps/yRQre) on wednesday morning and returning by night- starting by about 9 PM. The onward journey is not a hassle but return is, owing to festival holidays.

The options:

1)Bus: pay by nose through the inflated rates. Koyambedu is near, so boarding is not that tough.

2)Train: Tatkal ticket, but if starting by 9, can i make it to the central by 11:30? The Bangalore mail starts at 11:30, and has ~250 tatkal sleeper class tickets.

3) Drive through. Since my location is close on NH4, this seems sensible. If so, it is all the way through NH4, right?

Kindly advise.
Old 26th September 2014, 20:31   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Am reaching this place(http://goo.gl/maps/yRQre) on wednesday morning and returning by night- starting by about 9 PM. The onward journey is not a hassle but return is, owing to festival holidays.
Ideally you can drive both ways. Return on a long weekend like this by bus will be a hassle. Unless you have train tickets already, forget about trains. Mail is the most sought train, you'll have a half chance trying Mysore Express. Even that is pure luck.

You might end up paying more than fuel charges for your car for buses But even with drive you'll have to leave in off peak timings otherwise in such a long weekend you can expect long lines at toll booths as well.

Take Poonamalee bypass both ways, that'll save you some hassle. You'll have some initial traffic at Maduravoyal.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 21:26   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you leave by say 3.45 am or 4 am rather than 4.30? That way you will reach Chennai reasonably early.
Old 26th September 2014, 23:22   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Unless you have train tickets already, forget about trains. Mail is the most sought train, you'll have a half chance trying Mysore Express. Even that is pure luck.

Take Poonamalee bypass both ways, that'll save you some hassle. You'll have some initial traffic at Maduravoyal.
Yes, that's the catch here; even if i have a confirmed ticket, i am wary of the prospect of reaching Chennai central at a comfortable time.

That would mean going to the booking station by 5 AM or doing penance while IRCTC is loading, though the recent booking experiences are getting better.

I would love driving, but the pathetic road condition of the NH4 till Ranipet is a bother.

Looks like it is a choice among bad, worse and worst
Old 27th September 2014, 17:17   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
I am planning to drive to chennai by car to pick my wife and kids from her father's house. Considering the present situation in chennai following AMMA's arrest, is it safe to drive tomorrow.
Old 27th September 2014, 18:16   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks,
I am planning to drive to chennai by car to pick my wife and kids from her father's house. Considering the present situation in chennai following AMMA's arrest, is it safe to drive tomorrow.
Please wait till Monday or ask them to travel by train tomorrow afternoon as there will be some ticket cancellations due to this unrest!
Old 27th September 2014, 18:30   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Please wait till Monday or ask them to travel by train tomorrow afternoon as there will be some ticket cancellations due to this unrest!
It will be tough for her to handle a 7yr old and 7 month old kid alone. So I intend to drive by car to chennai. Looks like tomorrow is ruled out. I think it should be ok by monday or tuesday.
Old 27th September 2014, 19:41   #1753
BHPian

I would suggest anyone travelling to wait until Wednesday I.e. For two working days. Heard from friends in Chennai (ambattur) all shops are closed and some vehicles were burnt .
Old 27th September 2014, 21:26   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It will be tough for her to handle a 7yr old and 7 month old kid alone. So I intend to drive by car to chennai. Looks like tomorrow is ruled out. I think it should be ok by monday or tuesday.

Just fly them out if urgent. I would not suggest you get there within a week in a KA registered car.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 27th September 2014, 21:35   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Just fly them out if urgent. I would not suggest you get there within a week in a KA registered car.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
It is not that urgent as my first son has vacation. I have a TN registered santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks