Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 09:40   #3046
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Porur-Guindy is going to be quicker.
No man, it is highly unpredictable. Traffic jams keep happening for no reason. Couple of days back an acquiantance got stuck for 1.5 hrs between Thiruvallur turnoff and Poonamalee bypass. I've had this experience couple of times where I was stuck for 20-30 min at the same place. You'll see similar experiences in this very thread itself (recent I remember was Arun Josie - who even posted pictures).

Unless you enter late nights or early mornings, the straight in route is not worth it. Otherwise it takes same/more time with more hassles to negotiate enroute.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 14:06   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Last one year, my regular route has been Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Mudichur (SH110)-Tambaram-GST-Mount Road Route is peaceful barring 2 major bottlenecks:

1. Turnoff from NH at Sriperumbudur (this is common with SH 113 and SH110). This will take 10 min
2. Pallavaram bridge construction (5-10 min).

Rest is free flowing.

Budget 2-2.5 hrs from Chennasamudram toll to destination.
Thanks, I shall keep the above option in mind if there is heavy traffic on NH 48.
Old 16th November 2018, 19:11   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post
Thanks, I shall keep the above option in mind if there is heavy traffic on NH 48.
If you drive with Google Maps on. Pullover after Kanchipuram and check for red spots on the main highway. If there are, you can use the Manimangalam route. Here too Google Maps is perfect to navigate you through this route.
Old 18th November 2018, 13:45   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
If you drive with Google Maps on. Pullover after Kanchipuram and check for red spots on the main highway. If there are, you can use the Manimangalam route. Here too Google Maps is perfect to navigate you through this route.
Thanks. The appearance of red spots in the Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Porur-Guindy route in Google maps prompted me to raise this query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I'm not too sure you gain anything by taking that SH 113. Surely Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Porur-Guindy is going to be quicker.
Thanks to binand, NPV and aravind.anand for throwing clarity in taking the Porur route. If the traffic is not too thick, I will go as per this route.
Old 18th November 2018, 17:03   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post
Thanks. The appearance of red spots in the Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee-Porur-Guindy route in Google maps prompted me to raise this query.

Thanks to binand, NPV and aravind.anand for throwing clarity in taking the Porur route. If the traffic is not too thick, I will go as per this route.
There’s a Saravana Stores right by the Porur flyover so it is a frequent contributor to red patches on google maps. Plenty of offices on that stretch too so don’t try it during office peak hours morning and evening.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 19:35   #3051
BHPian

A new facility on The Chennai Bangalore highway, friends did any one get to use it? It is actually a world class toilet facility on the Bengaluru- Krishnagiri highway. A pay and use facility, which is a part of the Swach Bharat campaign. It's called LAVATO.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 21:49   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
A new facility on The Chennai Bangalore highway, friends did any one get to use it? It is actually a world class toilet facility on the Bengaluru- Krishnagiri highway. A pay and use facility, which is a part of the Swach Bharat campaign. It's called LAVATO.
I’ve seen ksrtc night buses stop at such a place occasionally. Did the RY on the name board of this place fall off?
Old 19th November 2018, 07:07   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
A pay and use facility, which is a part of the Swach Bharat campaign. It's called LAVATO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Did the RY on the name board of this place fall off?
No, it is indeed called Lavato. They have a website here: https://www.lavato.in/

At present they seem to have only this one location, just outside Krishnagiri town towards Bangalore. The photos are impressive, but I'm skeptical of their ability to maintain quality over a long period.
Old 26th November 2018, 20:26   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Due to US Thanksgiving holidays and less work, completed a Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore trip. Started from Bangalore on 22nd Nov around 7 am (planned late start intentionally considering fog and heavy rains in east coast). Decided to try out and experiment how Palamaner-Guidiyattam-Pallikonda route is, in this trip. So After a quick breakfast stop at Maiyas in Highways Star Food court before Mulbagal toll, was wondering how the road condition will be due to ongoing road construction from AP border towards Chittoor in NH4.

After crossing Nangili toll, the current status of new road up to Palamaner is almost 70% complete. With the completed portion of the road, now the route looks significantly different especially while crossing the forest area before Palamaner checkpost and would say quite scenic too. I was totally surprised to see they are laying concrete roads completely instead of tar roads! I hope this will last long even in heavy rains and also due to heavy truck traffic.

There are still 3 to 4 diversions and also bridges constructions are in quite basic stages. What is worse, is not clear diversion boards well ahead and mixed mode traffic where you end up driving in opposite direction or vice versa is confusing. So, is it advisable to take this route now towards Palamaner, Tirupati or Madras - Absolutely NO and highly NOT recommended, particulary after dark.
Once the road construction is complete, this will be a super breeze to drive to Madras in this newly laid concrete roads. I saw that the new roads are not touching Palamaner town and was bypassed much ahead after checkpost which is a good thing.

Once i touched Palamaner town, took right towards Gudiyattam road, and after a kilometer or so, there was not much traffic and roads are deserted. Post which all the way till Gudiyattam, had a fantastic good roads that is super scenic with forests, valley view and a slight detour (9 kms) to Mordana dam. Attached few pictures. Watch out for monkeys crossing forest areas, so drive slowly and please don't honk. On a rainy day with wet roads, rolling down the windows to enjoy pollution free air in scenic route is simply awesome.

After reaching Gudiyattam, its a pain to cross the town (but would say still worth the scenic drive) and drove further towards Pallikonda town to touch NH75. It was raining heavily all the way from Pallikonda till Sriperumbudur and slowed down my speed, but was enjoying a rainy drive

For Return journey on 25th Nov, i had some work at Urapakkam & Guduvanchery, so after finishing that took Vandalur-Padappai-Walajabad-Kanchipuram route to experiment. Here too was pleasantly surprised to see fantastic 6 Lane roads for most of the part crossing many major companies (like Renault Nissan etc) and then decent 4 Lane roads. As we head closer to Walajabad, the road narrows to 2L and traffic increases towards as we get closer to Kanchipuram.

-Ravi
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_091605.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0923151.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0929212.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0931273.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0932224.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0933585.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0936566.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0937187.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0938508.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_0941499.jpg  

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20181122_09430810.jpg  

Last edited by ravib : 26th November 2018 at 20:27.
ravib is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:34   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Post which all the way till Gudiyattam, had a fantastic good roads that is super scenic with forests, valley view and a slight detour (9 kms) to Mordana dam. Attached few pictures. Watch out for monkeys crossing forest areas, so drive slowly and please don't honk. On a rainy day with wet roads, rolling down the windows to enjoy pollution free air in scenic route is simply awesome.

After reaching Gudiyattam, its a pain to cross the town (but would say still worth the scenic drive) and drove further towards Pallikonda town to touch NH75. It was raining heavily all the way from Pallikonda till Sriperumbudur and slowed down my speed, but was enjoying a rainy drive

-Ravi
Ravi sir i used this route twice in july/august as my office is in bharatiya city and from whitefield there is a route to chokkenehalli completely avoiding traffic. I wanted to check if they have completed the bridge/culvert construction some 15 kms before gudiyattam. There is a 70 to 80m of horrible patch due to the construction activities. Also how is Mordana dam? Worth going at this time of the year?

Also if you wish to experiment, you can take left at gudiyattam and reach katpadi by a 2 lane road avoiding pallikonda toll. On this road there is a hillock called mahendra malai which is quite famous around this side. That is if you have time to kill.
Old 27th November 2018, 10:08   #3056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After crossing Nangili toll, the current status of new road up to Palamaner is almost 70% complete. With the completed portion of the road, now the route looks significantly different especially while crossing the forest area before Palamaner checkpost and would say quite scenic too. I was totally surprised to see they are laying concrete roads completely instead of tar roads! I hope this will last long even in heavy rains and also due to heavy truck traffic.

-Ravi
I noticed this white topping while going to Aragonda this May itself. My observation was till such time the work is fully over, no point taking risk by choosing this route.
My only concern is driving on cement roads in peak summer especially AP, wont there be a possibility of tyre burst unlike driving on Tar road ?
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:05   #3057
BHPian

Quote:

There are still 3 to 4 diversions and also bridges constructions are in quite basic stages. What is worse, is not clear diversion boards well ahead and mixed mode traffic where you end up driving in opposite direction or vice versa is confusing. So, is it advisable to take this route now towards Palamaner, Tirupati or Madras - Absolutely NO and highly NOT recommended, particulary after dark.
-Ravi
Thanks for the update, Ravi.
I've done this route few times last year. This route after Palamner is an absolute treat to drive (recommended only in day time though). Once, I too had to drive during rains. It was absolutely delightful. Traffic is very sparse even during day.

How is Mordana dam? Did you visit?

Instead of driving through dense traffic of Gudiyattam town and narrow roads of Pallikonda, I prefer taking left at Gudiyattam junction- K Pudur - K V Kuppam - Vaduganthangal - Virinchipuram - join NH48 near Poigai.

A neighbour who visited Chittoor recently told me that as of today Palamner-Chittoor section is absolutely horrible compared to Nangli-Palamner section.

Last edited by srvm : 27th November 2018 at 12:06.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:42   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vandalur-Padappai-Walajabad-Kanchipuram
Am curious to know your timings on this section Evening times can be a pain to drive on Walajabad-Kanchipuram.

I hope you bypassed Kanchipuram by taking Military Road and joined NH4 at the 76th km, Google Maps guides you through this.

Last time I took Padappai-Oragadam-SH120-Sunguvarchatram, which is longer than the Manimangalam and Walajabad route but avoids all the bottlenecks (Sriperumbudur bypass traffic, Walajabad-Kanchipuram-Military Road traffic) which took almost the same 2 hrs for Murugan Idli Kadai. Will be trying again this weekend, so will get another data point
Old 28th November 2018, 13:21   #3059
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*
I hope you bypassed Kanchipuram by taking Military Road and joined NH4 at the 76th km, Google Maps guides you through this.*SNIP*
Could you please maybe show me a picture of this route? Google has never ever suggested anything to me other than the DLF/Porur/Poonamallee/Sriperambudur stretch on the main highway; hence my question.

Google sometimes has suggested the Mudichur route from Sriperambudur (from BLR - MAA), but that's the only alternative ever suggested.

Thanks and cheers
Old 28th November 2018, 13:43   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you bypassed Kanchipuram by taking Military Road and joined NH4 at the 76th km, Google Maps guides you through this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Could you please maybe show me a picture of this route?
It is this, I believe. That last stretch along the bypass was pretty lonely - but the only time I took it was in the middle of the night (11PM+).

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-untitled4.png
binand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks