Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 19:55   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlealmeida View Post
It was a 50 minute drive from Hyatt to Hampi center.
How is Hyatt Place hotel in Hampi ? Seeing mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

Also, how was the weather ? What's the ideal time to start from this hotel for sightseeing since it seems to be quite far from those places. Thanks !
Old 5th March 2021, 21:07   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
How is Hyatt Place hotel in Hampi ? Seeing mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

Also, how was the weather ? What's the ideal time to start from this hotel for sightseeing since it seems to be quite far from those places. Thanks !
Hyatt is good. We enjoyed our stay, it is in a township area full of greenery. The stay was comfortable and the food was alright too, we opted for room service for all our meals except breakfast and the menu had satisfactory options.

Yes, it got hot when we visited, so it'll be even worse now. We started for Hampi sight seeing at 10, but would recommend you to start earlier to avoid peak sun as much as possible while in Hampi.
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:59   #243
Senior - BHPian

Is Adoni-Alur-Bellary in good condition? I had taken Alur-Bellary about a decade back and it was a hopeless dirt track then (August 2012). It was so bad, I had to cut short my destination from Hubli to Toranagallu that evening and stay overnight. Am surprised to see this route being quoted as a prime route
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 13:59   #244
BHPian

I'm planning to drive from Hyderabad to Hampi on September 10, 2021 and return on September 12, 2021.
We would be staying at JLR's Hampi Heritage and Wilderness Resort.

Google Maps seems to continue to suggest the Bhoothpur - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavathi route.

However, I'm inclining towards staying on NH44 till Gooty and then taking the route through Guntakal - Ballari.

I would appreciate any latest updates from team BHPians on the road conditions and the best route to take.

I wouldn't mind taking a longer route if I can get great road conditions (which is the reason I'm inclining towards the NH44 route till Gooty and then taking NH67 through Gooty, Guntakal, and Ballari).
The total distance with this route comes out to be 450 kms, with 312 km on Outer Ring Road + NH44, and the remaining 138 kms on NH 67. I'm fairly confident about the road conditions of NH44, but, I'm suspect about other roads after the recent monsoons, hence, my reluctance towards the routes through Raichur - Sindhanur (total distance of 380 km with 102 km on NH44 and 278 km on other roads) and the one through Kurnool - Alur - Ballari (total distance of 418 km with 218 km on NH44 and 200 km on other roads).

I noticed this post saying that the Raichur- Sindhanur route is in good condition on the Hyderabad - Goa thread. However, the recent rains have left me wondering if this still holds true.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5086249 (Hyderabad - Goa : Route Queries)

Please advise. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th September 2021 at 15:55. Reason: Typo.
Old 8th September 2021, 19:27   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMustang View Post
...Google Maps seems to continue to suggest the Bhoothpur - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavathi route....
Take the route suggested by Google Maps. Did that exact same drive on September 3 from Hyderabad to Hampi. There are some culvert expansion works on the Mahabubnagar - Raichur Highway, and some monsoon-induced road surface degradation on the Raichur - Gangavathi highway. Overall, this route is very good and is the fastest between Hyderabad and Hampi. The route via Gooty will add at least an hour to your drive and there is no guarantee it will be any better.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 12:18   #246
BHPian

Thank you so much, lucifer1881! It was very helpful!

Onward journey:
I took the route you suggested for the onward journey. It was quite pleasant and scenic.

It was just as you had described - a few road expansion works and roads disappearing for a few meters on the Mahabubnagar - Raichur stretch, and some monsoon induced degradation on the Raichur - Sindhanur stretch, but, generally good roads on the Sindhanur - Gangavathi stretch.

In certain stretches, I was able to reach about 80kmph. It took about nine hours including a breakfast stop and a couple of refuel stops.
Of course, one needs to be wary of speed-breakers along the way near villages, and slow down accordingly.

Return journey:
Unfortunately, the evening before our return journey, my wife had a fall at the resort and hurt her back a bit, so, I decided to take the route through Gooty for the return journey (the reasoning was to endure some inconvenience for the initial stretch of the journey but to have better roads for the later part of the journey to minimize pain for her).

The Hampi - Gooty stretch was a mix of good and bad stretches, with highway expansion work in progress. Some stretches had good concrete surfaces allowing to reach about 80-90 kmph, with each diversion being a painful slowdown. As always, one needs to be wary of speed breakers at village crossings.
The roughly 140 km stretch took about 4 hours, including a brief lunch break.
Thereafter, the next 5 hours on NH 44 was quite smooth, with the occasional speed breakers in the Andhra section of the highway.
The overall time taken was similar at about 9 hours, with breaks on this route as well.

Whichever route we take, we're looking at a journey time of about 9 hours. The only trade-off is between average roads for most of the journey but shorter overall distance (Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangavathi route) versus good roads for about 5 hours and slightly below average roads for about 4 hours with longer overall distance (Gooty - Guntakal - Ballari route).

Hope this trip report helps others planning to drive between Hyderabad and Hampi.
FlashMustang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:48   #247
BHPian

I went for a Hyderabad-Hampi road trip last week. At the outset, I'd like to thank lucifer1881, FlashMustang and everyone else on this thread. I extensively used this thread to plan out my routes.

Onward: Took the shortest route Mahboobnager-Raichur-Manvi-Sindhanur-Gangavati-Hampi. I did not see as much of traffic jam in Raichur. It was quite free, just that yes it was dirty small road.

Return: Took the Hampi-Bellary-Alur-Kodumur-Kurnool-Jadcherla-Hyderabad. Slightly longer but then it had longer stretches of empty 1.5 to 2 lane roads. Took the same time both directions eventually.

Comparison of two routes
  • Both routes have copious amount speed breakers in their respective non-NH sections
  • Both routes have high-traffic stretches when you come close to a town/city. Can't avoid that. Either see it at Raichur and Manvi or see it at Bellary and Kodumur. Expect some under-construction sections with bad diversions (typically just ~100mtrs)
  • Having said all this -- I found road conditions on both routes to be reasonably good to be honest. Having grown up in small towns, this is how I've known the interior roads to be. I found very few potholes. Yes, it's not NH-level smooth multi-lane road experience, but it was an overall positive experience. This is how I expected interior roads to be.
  • The top layer of tarmac is recently laid in some sections. However, wherever there was old tarmac, it's condition wasn't great and I had slow down
  • Not many food options. I packed and carried my lunch both ways. This is especially important if you're travelling with family/kids. (Carry your food peeps!! Seriously :/ . It was most important decision we took )
  • Bellary-Kurnool route especially has long sections of desolate/empty roads. It's both fun and scary. Don't push your fuel refill pitstop to last min.
  • On fuel: In case this is not known already - If possible, do your full-tank refills in Karnataka. Bloody 10rs/ltr difference in price!!
  • I timed both my journeys such that I spend the non-NH driving in daylight. I'd recommend the same to others reading the thread. This was conscious choice to avoid bad roads, speed breakers and high beams on the 1.5 or 2 lane undivided roads, not to forget unexpected emergencies.
  • Which route would I choose if I go next time -- I'm likely going to flip a coin.

Attaching some pictures of the route

This is how I remember most of the route - small roads. some misshaped top tarmac, but overall driveable.
Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220305204602.jpg

Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220305204820.jpg

Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220306113755.jpg

Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220306113901.jpg

Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220305204507.jpg

Example patche of particularly bad non-existent road
Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220305204952.jpg

Traffic when near or in town area (I think was Bellary)
Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-a_20220305204740.jpg
the.city is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 06:27   #248
BHPian

Did a Hyderabad-Hospet run through Kurnool-Alur-Bellary yesterday. The section from Alur-Bellary (around 45 kms) is in horrendous shape, with moon sized craters or no roads. Bellary-Hospet has some bad sections too. Rest of the route is in great condition.
Old 4th June 2022, 22:11   #249
BHPian

If you're driving from Hyderabad to Hampi through Raichur, be aware that there may be one or two speed cameras just before Jaklair, Makthal. I received a challan referencing 09.36 Hrs, however combing through dash cam files revealed nothing at that time, but it did show me one at 10.06 Hrs the same day ( Gps speed showed 85kmh).

Cropped snapshot:
Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-1654360174496_095933.jpg
Vijin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 21:45   #250

Hi! I’m currently in Hyatt Palace Hampi, and will head to Hyderabad tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone could give me an update on bellari-gooty road conditions, I would prefer to drive on NH-44 for longer if the road from bellari to gooty is manageable.
Old 7th October 2022, 19:50   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrivastava View Post
Hi! I’m currently in Hyatt Palace Hampi, and will head to Hyderabad tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone could give me an update on bellari-gooty road conditions, I would prefer to drive on NH-44 for longer if the road from bellari to gooty is manageable.
Hi,
How was the route? I am traveling to Hyderabad from Hampi on Sunday. Considering these routes. Kindly suggest!
1. Raichur-Mahbubnagar-Jadcherla-Hyderabad - Fastest as per google maps
2. Ballari-Kurnool-Hyderabad
3. Ballari-Gooty-Hyderabad
Old 17th October 2022, 08:01   #252
BHPian

Hi all,
Saw this thread has not been updated recently and having done Hyderabad-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hampi- Hyderabad trip last week, let me know if anyone has any queries on Hampi-Hyderabad sector.
Overall the roads between Raichur and Mahboobnagar have improved a lot and you can take this one as its shorter than going via Gooty.
bhugs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:03   #253
BHPian

Hi

Planning for Hyd to Hampi trip this weekend and plan to take the route via Mahabubnagar and Raichur.

Need guidance if this route is better than the Gooty road and if and where we can find some eateries on the way?

We are traveling with kids and senior citizen, so any information would be useful.

Thanks
Niel
Old 23rd October 2022, 07:50   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel@Figo View Post
Hi

Planning for Hyd to Hampi trip this weekend and plan to take the route via Mahabubnagar and Raichur.

Need guidance if this route is better than the Gooty road and if and where we can find some eateries on the way?

We are traveling with kids and senior citizen, so any information would be useful.

Thanks
Niel
If you are leaving early morning say by 5 am, I suggest you stick with Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Gangavati route as then you will be able to cover the busy stretches' of these towns with no crowd. The only eateries available here will be in ton which will be closed at that hour with no good option on the highway. The roads are OK but single.
If leaving later, go via Gooty as you will be travelling on 4 lane highway for much longer and have better food options at Shadnagar and later at Food Pyramid at Kohakota with good toilets too.
Old 23rd October 2022, 09:18   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel@Figo View Post
Hi

Even though the route is good, please don't take Mahbubnagar-Raichur route. I guess the roads could be blocked due to Rahul Gandhi's yatra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks