Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 18:06   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tanveer, are you assuming 2 lane highways here? In Sikkim, it took us 5 hours to cover 135Kms on well paved roads. You may have to completely rethink the average speeds you can get here. Also, don't tell me you will be driving continuously. You may want to get down very often for scenic shoots, that is definitely big on your agenda.
the route to Pangong also includes metalled roads, which are single lane. but up there in ladakh, traffic is next to zero and you can literally fly there. The 170km single way trip to pangong should take no more than 5-6 hrs
Old 8th May 2007, 18:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

I think you guys need to finalise a route and put it up here. Don't want to see this Drive thread go the way of the others due to the confusion arising out of routes/dates etc ending up with 20 pages of discussion leading to nowhere.
Old 8th May 2007, 18:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Steer..!! Am i dreaming or is it for real....!!!
U are gonna drive from Cochin to Leh in such a short time.!!!!
Awwssum spirit man..!!!

I would surely like to join u guys for this...But I'm not sure about my plans at the moment....Steer .! Can i join u from Cochin ??
Old 8th May 2007, 18:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

If you really want to make a lovely trip of it, carry tents and pitch en route. Saves money, and is an experience worth experiencing. The Ibex chappie is a Blorean - and charges v high rates. There's also a small mountaineering institute a km after Ibex where you might be able to sweet talk the caretaker into very nice acco.

The Sarchu tents are expensive - but there's bargaining everywhere.

I'm not sure about that timeframe, and dont have a Safari - but if someone's looking for an extra driver ....

Last edited by zenx : 8th May 2007 at 18:17.
Old 8th May 2007, 18:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tanveer, are you assuming 2 lane highways here? In Sikkim, it took us 5 hours to cover 135Kms on well paved roads. You may have to completely rethink the average speeds you can get here. Also, don't tell me you will be driving continuously. You may want to get down very often for scenic shoots, that is definitely big on your agenda.
A lot of this route is nice paved road (it was one at least when I did it last year). So BunnyPunia's estimates are pretty much on cue. The climb and descent from the Chang La being the only slow point.

Well what can one say about Pangong Tso - Heaven on Earth. YOu gotta be there to believe it. It can not be described. A 130 km long salt water lake at an altitude of 15000+ feet.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th May 2007 at 19:06. Reason: fixing image link
Old 8th May 2007, 18:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I think you guys need to finalise a route and put it up here. Don't want to see this Drive thread go the way of the others due to the confusion arising out of routes/dates etc ending up with 20 pages of discussion leading to nowhere.
Robin I think its apparent that we are trying to finalize a route.

and most importantly we ARE going somewhere.

That apart, question for Bunny and Tanveer:

Is it possible to push for Delhi to Keylong in 1 day? Did I hear that Manali - Keylong is 4 hours? If yes, then why dont we PUSH for Keylong or the Ibex lodge or whatever? I know it will be taxing, but it will cut the 'transport' leg of the journey. I have driven 20 hours in a day at one point of time - should be possible again unless age has caught up.

If yes, then can we have this:

Day 1 - Delhi to Keylong/Ibex lodge

Day 2 - Keylong/Ibex Lodge to Leh

Day 3 & 4 - in and around Leh

Day 5 - Leh to Manali

Day 6 - Manali to Delhi

That will give us a buffer day 7 which may or may not be used, but its nice to have a buffer all the same.

zenx - I'm sure extra drivers will be welcome. Once we have the number of VEHICLES finalized we can then allot all the free space on a first come first served basis. You are first come, so you will be first served.

KP - there is a possibility that my vehicle will get to Delhi from Bangalore courtesy of a friendly robot. If thats the case I will fly down to Delhi. Will keep you updated.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th May 2007 at 19:02.
Old 8th May 2007, 19:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Will there be regular bathrooms? Or is it one of those rough living, in-the-midst-of-nature things?
Old 8th May 2007, 19:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

DELETED - just saw Bunny's map. Sorry I had turned images off because the site is very slow today.

PS: Dicor or no Dicor we will have to carry extra fuel. I'll get 2 extra external fuel cans when I come down this time - its about Dhs.60 per piece for a VERY well made tank.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th May 2007 at 19:09.
Old 8th May 2007, 19:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

That apart, question for Bunny and Tanveer:

Is it possible to push for Delhi to Keylong in 1 day? Did I hear that Manali - Keylong is 4 hours? If yes, then why dont we PUSH for Keylong or the Ibex lodge or whatever? I know it will be taxing, but it will cut the 'transport' leg of the journey. I have driven 20 hours in a day at one point of time - should be possible again unless age has caught up.

Hmmm.... yeah, it will be taxing, but possible.
If you leave Delhi quite early (4am), you can pass Chandigarh (240kms) in 3.5 hrs easily. Manali, another 335 should take around 7 hours or so, making you cross Manali by 4-4:30pm, rohtang by 6:30pm. Once Rohtang is crossed, no probs of driving even in dark. Keylong by 8:30-9pm. Only prob, it will be very cold!

v1p3r : Some camps have private loos, some dont

PS : steeriod, did u see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...8632-feet.html

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 8th May 2007 at 19:12.
Old 8th May 2007, 20:06   #40
Team-BHP Support

One suggestion from the experience some close friends had up there, please add a buffer of 2-3 days atleast coz situation changes very rapidly over there.

Have a nice trip and post log.

Someday i shall also make it!!
Old 8th May 2007, 20:23   #41
Team-BHP Support

Steer, we will need atleast 3 days in Leh
Day 1 : Permit etc.,
Day 2 : Pangong Lake
Day 3 : Khardungla Pass etc.,

That said, Rohtang Pass at Night. No way.
I went to Narkanda this winter, and the road from Shimla to Narkanda I had to traverse after 7pm. The road is slightly broken in pieces with black ice at many places(which you will find a lot). There were so many times when I was sliding. I had to drive extremely slow and it was very very trechrous.

Delhi to Keylong cannot be done in one day, Chandigarh to Keylong or Pb to keylong, but no Delhi to keylong.

Its a trip of a lifetime, so I guess couple of more days should be okay.
And flying to Delhi is definitely a better option than driving all the way.
Old 8th May 2007, 20:26   #42
BHPian

NK how long did it take us to do Leh - Pangong. I remeber we left at about 6 or later but were back before night fall. Also we had an hours break in pangong. Can you recall ?
Old 8th May 2007, 20:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

U could do Leh-Pangong-Leh in a day, but u might not want to
Another thing to remember is that N gaadis will on an average average lower speeds than one gaadi travelling alone. This is for synch-ups, support issues, gupshup etc. Given the route, this is a good thing, not bad! It might be good to plan with average speeds between 20-25kmph, and great if you manage more.
Old 8th May 2007, 21:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
NK how long did it take us to do Leh - Pangong. I remeber we left at about 6 or later but were back before night fall. Also we had an hours break in pangong. Can you recall ?
I remember, we were back well before night fall. It was more of a joy ride as compared to some of the other legs. Pretty decent roads at that time atleast. Road at Chang La wasn't bad either. I remember we did close to 300km both ways and the driving time was something like 8-9 hours.
Old 8th May 2007, 22:28   #45
BHPian

See, one should not rush on all the days.
You could rush on day 1 to keylong, take it easy on day 2 to Leh. Day 3 for permits/sight seeing, day 4 for Khardungla and back, day 5 for a keylong, day 6 for may be manali/solang/manikaran and day 7 drive to delhi.

If you have an extra day, do pangong.

Dont do Manali-Leh (or leh-manali) in one day.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks