Team-BHP - Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/26059-trivandrum-bangalore-route-queries-35.html)

Have to make an impromptu drive from Tvm to Bangalore this week, during a weekday. Will be starting at 4.30 AM from Tvm.

With the present road conditions, anything that need to be aware of? Curious to know on the highway work as well. Idea is to stick with NH. Tvm-Nagercoil NH44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathlal (Post 4386476)
With the present road conditions, anything that need to be aware of? Curious to know on the highway work as well. Idea is to stick with NH. Tvm-Nagercoil NH44

Nothing apart from the diversions at Marthandam and Parvathipuram(just before Nagercoil).

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 4386971)
Nothing apart from the diversions at Marthandam and Parvathipuram(just before Nagercoil).

Traveled to and fro via this route and was decent enough. The travel started at 7 AM for both the journey. Onward trip from Tvm was very easy with light traffic. The deviations at Marthandam and Parvathipuram were well marked.
The incoming journey from Bangalore was all fine, except for the deviation and Marthandam. The traffic was very high on those bad stretches and was little hectic.

Tvm - Bangalore took ~ 12 hours
Bangalore - Tvm took ~ 14 hours

Drove to Trivandrum from Bangalore two weeks back. Took the Shencottai - Thenmala route. We were instructed to bypass Rajapalayam via Sankarankovil by police. Don't know the reason. There was a traffic jam leading up to the junction from which they waved us towards Sankarankovil. May be that was the reason. Google maps show that this is 11 KM longer. But roads were good through out. Only issue is that the stretch that joins back to the original route from Sankarankovil to Puliyanguidi was a bit narrow. Overall I think it might have cost us 10 minutes.

Real issue though was a diversion due to road work past Thenmala. Altogether I think this diversion took us 30 - 40 minutes over potholed narrow roads. Request any locals from around these parts to update on the status of the road works.

Another observation is that in many of the Tamilnadu towns between Thirumangalam and Kerala border, there are one ways that do not show up on google maps. There are sign boards in english. Please be careful.

The drive was on a Sunday. Overall road condition was very good except for the diversion post Thenmala. Traffic was light as well.

Another important point; post the first toll after Salem towards Madurai, there are three speed cameras that I noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinivanDriver (Post 4399573)

Another important point; post the first toll after Salem towards Madurai, there are three speed cameras that I noticed.

That is one super fast sector. Are they stopping vehicles too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 4399677)
That is one super fast sector. Are they stopping vehicles too?

I did not see anyone getting stopped. Here is what I recall about the cameras. They are fixed cameras - not on interceptor vehicles. The cameras themselves are fixed at a rather low height. They were only about the height of a car and mounted on posts on the median as far as I can recall. The wires across the road for detecting speed are not embedded in to the asphalt. Once can clearly see two parallel black insulated wires about an in inch in diameter and about two feet apart running across the road. You can feel a slight bump as the car tires run over them. To me it looked like the cameras could correctly photograph only the vehicle in the fast lane. But I could be wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinivanDriver (Post 4399573)
Real issue though was a diversion due to road work past Thenmala. Altogether I think this diversion took us 30 - 40 minutes over potholed narrow roads. Request any locals from around these parts to update on the status of the road works.

Is this diversion in theThenmala to Kulathupuzha section? I hope it won't affect when coming from Punalur.

It is towards Trivandrum side post the turn off to Punalur as far as I remember. So it should not affect when coming from Punalur.

I am planning to drive down to Attingal from Bangalore on 10th June so wanted to check on the routes as normally I do Bangalore- Salem- Dindigul route entering Kerala around Kilmanoor. I head with the Nipah virus issues lot of checking on TN/Kerala border. Please advice as I have a KA registered vehicle. Any other advice on alternates or suggestions are welcome. Planning to start early 5.30 am and reach evening. I will also be carrying a lot of baggage noting overhead though for my kid and family

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrats (Post 4410498)
I head with the Nipah virus issues lot of checking on TN/Kerala border. Please advice as I have a KA registered vehicle. Any other advice on alternates or suggestions are welcome.

Are you sure that the checking is due to Nipah, since south Kerala was not having any cases reported.

In any case, Nipah seems to be under control as of now. Hence you will not be finding any issues due to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrats (Post 4410498)
I am planning to drive down to Attingal from Bangalore on 10th June so wanted to check on the routes as normally I do Bangalore- Salem- Dindigul route entering Kerala around Kilmanoor. I head with the Nipah virus issues lot of checking on TN/Kerala border. Please advice as I have a KA registered vehicle. Any other advice on alternates or suggestions are welcome. Planning to start early 5.30 am and reach evening. I will also be carrying a lot of baggage noting overhead though for my kid and family

There is no checking on the Walayar border. I dont think there is any checking at any other point also

Hello, I am planning to ride from Tvm to Madurai via Thenmala. Can someone update me on the latest road conditions. I will be riding solo, and will be doing a relaxed drive - so there is no hurry to reach Madurai in the same day.

Also if you have info please update on the road conditions in the below stretches:

Kochi - Tvm
Tvm - Madurai
Madurai - Theni - Adimali
Adimali - Kochi

Quote:

Originally Posted by gk_fiesta (Post 4440235)
Kochi - Tvm
Tvm - Madurai
Madurai - Theni - Adimali
Adimali - Kochi

Hope you have postponed the trip in view of heavy rains & floods in Kerala. Posting the road situation in TN as the areas you plan to visit had only a few drizzles.

Roads are largely un-affected in Tamilnadu side as rains are very scarce. Rajapalayam to Madurai in (Thenmala - Madurai route) is being re-laid & slightly widened. Ride is smooth now & minimal road blocks.

Madurai - Theni is four track except a few villages & towns on the way. But do expect speed breakers near villages. Theni to Bodi Mettu in TN border is good.

New A2B Outlets:

- The one at Shoolagiri is getting shifted closer to the highway along with a Star Biriyani outlet.

- Then there is a new A2B opened at around 15Kms from Salem towards Namakkal. Here is a pic of this one,

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img20180818wa0092.jpg

Cauvery river crossing at Namakkal - Karur:

There is one bridge on River Cauvery between Namakkal - Karur. There was no water under this bridge for almost a decade. However due to heavy rains in the Kodagu cauvery catchment area and the Mettur dam being opened, there is a deluge under this bridge. There was a huge crowd gathering to watch the waters. Even police force has been deployed to manage the crowd gathered on the bridge and the highway traffic.

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20180817_170957113_hdr.jpg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20180817_171032232.jpg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20180817_171158011.jpg

Road Condition on the Kavalkinaru - Nagercoil:

This stretch is in a bad state after the recent heavy downpours. Lot of pot-holes all along this stretch, so better to maintain slow speeds.

Fastag:

The dedicated Fastag lanes are open again on the last 4 tolls starting from Madurai (Kappalur, Etturvattan, Salaipudur, Nanguneri). However its not automated and they are using manual hand-held devices.

Has anyone traveled this route recently as planning to do this trip the coming week