Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 14:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyderabad to Srisailam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallya_2010 View Post
Planning a trip this Christmas weekend - 24th -25th Dec 2011. Booked overnight stay at Haritha hotel (online). Will leave by 4PM on Sat and return leisurely on Sunday.
Would suggest you leave a little early. atleast by 2-2:30p.m.
It will take you around 4 hrs considering you will drive easy. Light will fade fast and it's better to complete the ghat portion in atleast the fading light.
If you are driving there for the first time and are not familiar with the ghat route, then please leave early.
Also as you have kids, you would need to take breaks and your travel time would increase. So keeping all this in mind, leave early and reach early.

Temple is walking distance from the Haritha hotel. Just walk down, buy tickets and get in queue. I hope there would be not much rush. As it is you won't have much time to do other sight seeing as you have to drive back again. So decide there depending on the time you'll have.
Old 15th December 2011, 15:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
It will take you around 4 hrs considering you will drive easy. Light will fade fast and it's better to complete the ghat portion in atleast the fading light.
If you are driving there for the first time and are not familiar with the ghat route, then please leave early.
Also as you have kids, you would need to take breaks and your travel time would increase. So keeping all this in mind, leave early and reach early.
I remember reading somewhere that the check posts (2 in number) at Mananur and another place don't allow vehicles after dark. Keep that in mind.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 15:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the check posts (2 in number) at Mananur and another place don't allow vehicles after dark. Keep that in mind.
If he crosses the first check post by 5:30 p.m, then I don't think he would have any trouble.
But driving through the ghats at night can become tricky, more so, when some hairpin bends have two openings. If he is driving for the first time, he might get confused, as I got during my first drive.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 16:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Mallya,

The check post at Mannanur (entry point into the reserve from Hyderabad) closes at 9pm.

If you are planning to leave at 4 it will anyhow turn to night by the time you are in the reserve. If you are a first timer on that road...like Fordmanchau suggests leave early so that you enter the Mannanur check post by 5pm max.

Feel the jungle, enjoy each moment of serenity and beauty, for this is not just a drive through a highway. You will be driving through the largest tiger reserve of India.

Other things to do in the temple vicinity are take the rope way down to Patala Ganga and a boat ride in the river, visit the animal orphanage at Sunnipenta (good for kids).

Also, Mallya if you are a first timer do make it to the view point at Farahabad, on your way back, you can't miss the land mark...the Tiger statue on the main road is the entry point. Forest guides take you in their Jeep or your vehicle. Charge is Rs. 500 per vehicle.

Guys, who would like to indulge in non-veg food on your way back atleast, do not miss
Sri Venkateshwara dhaba (beside Vana Mayuri forest guest house at Eagalapenta). Highly recommended mutton and chicken curries with roti or rice. Owner is Venkatesh.

It is a very safe journey all the way and back so don't worry.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 21:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
It will take you around 4 hrs considering you will drive easy. Light will fade .
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Mallya,

The check post at Mannanur (entry point into the reserve from Hyderabad) closes at 9pm.

Thank you guys , I will make my plans accordingly. I will try to leave by 2 PM and do the ghats by sunset. Are the ghat roads too narrow or reasonably wide? Sightseeing will depend on the situation on Sunday but will try to cover at least one of the suggestions. There will be more trips in the future I guess since Srisailam is one of the closest destinations from Hyderabad.

Non veg is out on the way in but will keep it in mind while returning.
Old 19th December 2011, 06:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallya_2010
will try to leave by 2 PM and do the ghats by sunset. Are the ghat roads too narrow or reasonably wide?
the ghat roads are wide enough.bear in mind that petrol stations hardly exist on the route.top up at hyderabad and at srisailam on your return.srisailam one does not accept cards.at haritha ask for the newer block rooms they are slightly better off than the older ones but overall both are just averge-just to set expectations correctly.the checkpost towards srisailam has a compulsory unofficial 10rs entry fee per car!!!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 20:15   #67
BHPian

Hi Guys/Mallya,

Iam planning to do the trip on the same days (24th-25th weekend) , but would probably leave Hyd early in the morning (between 6-7am).

Any updates on the road conditions?

Which would be the best road to consider?

HYD - JEDCHARLA - SRISAILAM or
HYD - SAMSHABAD - SRISAILAM

Yet to book the stay, any alternatives apart from APTDC?

Suggestions

Last edited by raghu230506 : 19th December 2011 at 20:19. Reason: typo
Old 19th December 2011, 23:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Guys/Mallya,

Iam planning to do the trip on the same days (24th-25th weekend)
I am planning to take the Shamshabad route but have no idea about the advantages or otherwise of both the routes. Maybe the more experienced members can help us out.
Old 20th December 2011, 01:57   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Guys/Mallya,

Iam planning to do the trip on the same days (24th-25th weekend) , but would probably leave Hyd early in the morning (between 6-7am).

Any updates on the road conditions?

Which would be the best road to consider?

HYD - JEDCHARLA - SRISAILAM or
HYD - SAMSHABAD - SRISAILAM

Yet to book the stay, any alternatives apart from APTDC?

Suggestions
Shamshabad route is the one most people take. So I would suggest you take that route instead of the Jedcharla route. I have personally never driven on the Jedcharla - Srisailam stretch though.

Most of the stays at Srisailam are community based. There are Reddy Satram, Kamma Satram and so on. They are excellent places to stay provided you have friends belonging to such communities and can arrange for your stay there. Try to find one that belongs to your own community. I am sure there are places there for every possible community.

Apart from these there are other hotels and cottages at sri sailam as well. But I found most of them below par.
Old 20th December 2011, 13:31   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Shamshabad route is the one most people take. So I would suggest you take that route instead of the Jedcharla route. I have personally never driven on the Jedcharla - Srisailam stretch though.

Most of the stays at Srisailam are community based. There are Reddy Satram, Kamma Satram and so on. They are excellent places to stay provided you have friends belonging to such communities and can arrange for your stay there. Try to find one that belongs to your own community. I am sure there are places there for every possible community.

Apart from these there are other hotels and cottages at sri sailam as well. But I found most of them below par.
Thanks Himavanth,

I would stick to Samshabad route then, still in the processing of finalizing the stay.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 20th December 2011, 13:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

Jadcherla-Kalwakurthy road is average.It is better to take Shamshabad-Imamguda-Srisailam route.
It would be good if you start with Shikaram that is the topmost view of the Srisailam temple from the hills and then go to Srisailam.
On the way back you can stop at Shakshi Ganapathy temple.

Last edited by gajadonga : 20th December 2011 at 13:52.
Old 25th September 2012, 18:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

am planning a hyderabad srisailam trip with some of my friends. I'm arriving in hyd in the morning, and will be leaving with my friends right away.
What I want
A ropeway ride
mallela theertham waterfalls
Farahabad viewpoint
Srisailam dam
Boat Ride & Caves
Tiger Reserve.

I also need to be back in hyd on sunday to catch a 9 o clock bus back to chennai.

Can someone help organize these into a coherent plan? Also where we can get decent family accomodation for the night? Any places that you think I've missed and SHOULD go to? - Temples are not a big priority.

The objective of the trip is to give our cameras some exercise, and chill out as well
Old 25th September 2012, 19:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
am planning a hyderabad srisailam trip with some of my friends. I'm arriving in hyd in the morning, and will be leaving with my friends right away.
What I want
A ropeway ride
Farahabad viewpoint
Srisailam dam
Boat Ride & Caves
Tiger Reserve.

I also need to be back in hyd on sunday to catch a 9 o clock bus back to chennai.
Welcome to Hyderabad. You were are not clear arriving in Hyderabad when? I assume its saturday morning

If yes, then its sufficient time to visit Srisailam and return to Hyderabad on sunday evening to catch your bus back home.

Srisailam is 225kms from Hyderabad and is about 3.5 hours drive. Last 60kms is through ghat section with dense forest and has great scenary. You can spot lot of monkeys on road. Feed them peanuts if possible

Malletheeratham Falls come about 35kms before Srisailam. So keep a look out for signboard. You can plan this while going or returning from Srisailam. Beware there is almost 250 steps to walk down to the falls

Boat ride in those round shape boats is possible

Farahabad reserve has timings of visit upto 6pm in evening only. And, i think private vehicle are not allowed inside. Cost is roughly Rs.1600 for a jeep, I think

No idea about the caves

Srisailam temple will be crowded over the weekend but, the SHIVA temple is must visit

Overall, the entire route is nice and has lots of greenry for good photo ops

Cheer and Have fun !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 19:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
What I want
A ropeway ride
Farahabad viewpoint
Srisailam dam
Boat Ride & Caves
Tiger Reserve.

Can someone help organize these into a coherent plan? Also where we can get decent family accomodation for the night? Any places that you think I've missed and SHOULD go to? - Temples are not a big priority.

The objective of the trip is to give our cameras some exercise, and chill out as well
The only decent accomodation available at Srisailam is at the APTDC Haritha.Book them online as rooms are difficult to come by since this is the only source of accomodation at Srisailam afaik.There was one common dormitory kind of accomodation run by a private hotel,but it was downright dirty when I checked it out(I guess it was run some Bhimas group)

You havent mentioned your means of transport for your arrival into Hyd.If its a flight,the airport is closer to Srisailam road,no need to come to the city.

The tiger reserve is enroute to Srisailam and they run a safari at stipulated times.You could do the safari and then proceed towards Srisailam.From the safari location to Srisailam is around 90minutes.After the safari point,next comes the dam,the road to Srisailam runs by the side of the dam.I would suggest that you stop on the left bank (opposite to where you would see the power generation turbines)as it offers better views and lesser crowds and easier to park as well.From this vantage view point,you continue down and after a km or so you would see the Patal Ganga river bank to your right.The boating on the coracle starts from here.APTDC runs boats to the caves from Patal Ganga,afaik they have fixed departures(no clue about the time)

After this proceed upwards via two rickety bridges (with one bridge which bears a sign saying weak and old bridge but if you look around you would see that there is no other way to get to the other side!!!).You would cross the Srisailam Power Project enroute and there is a small zoo kind of a place which is a place where "orphaned" deers are kept and fed,its a nice place and surprisingly kept clean.Following this,if you are keen on following this you have the temple.You can take the ropeway down to the dam from near the temple.

Cant help with the viewpoint and waterfalls-dont know about them
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 13:53   #75
BHPian

I'm planning a single day trip to Sri Sailam from Hyderabad, by bike, along with a friend (who will accompany me on another bike). Any tips on as to what all places MUST be covered? (Other than the temple/waterfalls?) What all can be covered in a single day?

I trust the drive wouldn't take more than 4 hours? We are planning to start at 4AM for the same.

Most Viewed