Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 15:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to vizag,

The only stretch that is good is the GQ part from Rajamundhry to Vizag. Rest of the stretch before and after is a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But even if you reach Vizag, the road between Vizag and Borra Caves/ Araku valley is not in a good condition. Atleast it wasn't in March and am sure the rains would have made it worse. Taking a train would be the best bet!
+1. I doubt even your Getaway can handle that terrain
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 15:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
...The NH-5 is the place where the Jazz can show its true colours...
What do you mean by 'show its true colours'? Does this apply only to BS-IV Jazz or also the BS-III one?

I know your Getaway is BS-III. May be that is why mobike008 says that it won't be able to handle the terrain. What if someone has a BS-III variant and claims that it is BS-IV? Would the terrain affect such a car as well? I mean the bumblebee flies because it does not know it is not aerodynamically meant to fly. So if a BS-III car does not know it is BS-III, will it still be able to do the route?
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 15:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Guyz,
I am thinking of a 4 day-trip to Vizag and Araku.
If you are planning to do this trip over this long weekend, please reconsider your decision as Vizag will be infested with Motley Crews (not the awesome 80's band) wanting to create nuisance.

I had horrible experience while visiting Vizag and Horsley Hills over long weekends.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 10th August 2011 at 15:34.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 15:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I doubt even your Getaway can handle that terrain
There is no terrain that the Getaway cannot tame. Atleast On-Road. It can go with ease where most hatchback/sedan dread to think about. And the Getaway is known to instill a sense of fear in lot of small cars and hence gets its way on the Indian Highway very easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
What do you mean by 'show its true colours'? Does this apply only to BS-IV Jazz or also the BS-III one?

I know your Getaway is BS-III. May be that is why mobike008 says that it won't be able to handle the terrain. What if someone has a BS-III variant and claims that it is BS-IV? Would the terrain affect such a car as well? I mean the bumblebee flies because it does not know it is not aerodynamically meant to fly. So if a BS-III car does not know it is BS-III, will it still be able to do the route?
What I meant was one would be happy driving a powerful car like Jazz, doing speeds in excess of 150kmph only on the NH-5. Any other road, the Jazz is just not suitable for them. Those roads are for your Bolero or my Getaway.

As regards to BS-III, well its a known fact that BS-III variant of any engine is slightly more powerful than the BS-IV variant. And for me there is no shame in saying that my Tornado is a BS-III even though I stay in a BS-IV zone. Its very simple. I was getting a very good deal and I jumped on it. And hence got a AP-28 Reg.

Anyways we digress!

Bottomline: If you want to tour India, buy a SUV/MUV. Jazzy cars are mostly all show no go.

My 2 paisa gyan
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 16:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of a 4 day-trip to Vizag and Araku.
I have heard so much about the Hyd-Vijaywada road that I am totally undecided on which route to take. Please help me out. I need the fastest possible route even if I have to drive more.
Adi, if you ask me driving this route at this time isn't advisable especially as you have a young kid to take care of.

And rains also mean bad roads. I really wouldn't advise doing this trip by car specifically in this season. See if you can delay it by 3 months or so. Dec/Jan is a pleasant time to visit Vizag.

If you do want to go ahead though, stick to NH9 only. It'll be slow, it'll be painful and it'll be hard on your car, but at least there are eating options en route and enough people around. Driving through Khammam route can get scary in the evening if you somehow get delayed. The road from Kothagudem to Vijayawada is two-laned and undivided and is OK in good weather. With potholes it can be problematic. Besides, there's hardly any civilization for the most part.

Although the monsoons this year haven't been heavy, this route is notorious for flash floods and multiple-hour jams after a heavy downpour. My in-laws once spent 18 hrs marooned on the road courtesy of broken bridges and flooded roads. Luckily they had lots of food in the trunk of their Amby and could "survive".

There isn't much to do in Araku, and the rail trip is far more exciting than the road trip. I suggest parking yourself overnight at Vizag. APTDC has two options. Rail + rail and rail + bus. Take either. The VK1 passenger train starts from Vizag at ~ 5 am. Go up to Araku. Enjoy the beauty from the "comfort" (5 people sitting in a seat for 3) of the train. The APTDC bus will take you around (museum, horticulture garden, lunch + tribal dance show, some vantage/suicide points etc., Borra) and get you back to Vizag by around 8 pm.

On Papikondalu -

My in-laws used to stay in Kothagudem and we've done the Papikondalu cruise a couple of times. Trust me, you don't want to venture out beyond Bhadrachalam in the evening. Definitely not with family in tow. And as far as I know there are no stay places near where you board the boats. I don't know if anything has changed in the last two years. So you're essentially looking at a 2-day trip with a stopover at Bhadrachalam just to get to the boarding point. It'll get hectic. Besides, the best time to do the cruise starts in October.

My two paisa.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 16:56   #36
BHPian

AdiMicra, I had to travel to Vizag the last weekend for a Business Visit with a cousin of mine and we did a Hyd-Vizag-Araku-Hyd stretch and the whole experience was horrible, especially the peak traffic and potholes the sizes of craters on Moon. I was in Scorpio and was able to do the stretch but not that easily, but I really suggest you rethink about doing this stretch as of now, especially taking into consideration the rains that lashed the coastal regions in the past weeks. The roads are in shambles and potholes popup at the least expected moment. Going by what you are planning to ride, do keep a couple of tyres handy in case of any adverse situation. As you are also planning to visit Araku Valley too, the ghats were the most affected ones in the recent past due to the rains in that region. Hyd-Vizag has been a regular route for me for the past 8 years due to Business Reasons and this is one of those times, I feel I should not have done that stretch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
If you are planning to do this trip over this long weekend, please reconsider your decision as Vizag will be infested with Motley Crews (not the awesome 80's band) wanting to create nuisance. I had horrible experience while visiting Vizag and Horsley Hills over long weekends.
+1 to what you said SILVERWOOD. The long weekends are the times these places can be or rather say, should be avoided.

Had a very bad experience the last time, when I went to Araku with my family members. The Moronic Revelers of Long Weekend create a ruckus and sorts, which spoil the mood of every individual around. Have seen them behaving cheap with families & couples at Araku valley. Atleast, I was lucky that I was with my whole family and in no way would 6 morons flying high in the air take over a group of 40 odd people, with 60% of people being males and in the age group of 22-36.

I get jitters, when I think, what would have happened if it was only a couple there. They would have literally brought them to tears for sure. Have a number of horrid tales about these Moronic Revelers of Long Weekend, who frequent Araku Valley to satiate their desire of spoiling others holidays and moods.

Quote:
As regards to BS-III, well its a known fact that BS-III variant of any engine is slightly more powerful than the BS-IV variant.
+1 to what you said MileCruncher. The BSIII variant does for sure have more power as compared to BSIV, the evidence is the difference between my BSIV Santro & FleetMaster’s BSIII Santro. Sometimes, I get the urge to ask him for an exchange. With the BS regulations changing frequently, the BSIV variants are being subjected to being less powerful as compared to its earlier siblings.

Last edited by traveloholic : 10th August 2011 at 16:59.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 17:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Oh my god, so many responses! Overwhelmed! TBHP rocks.Thank you all.

I think the bottomline is -
Do not drive to Vizag, particularly with a small kid because it will be very hectic.
About bad roads, I think it manageable as many people in normal hatches/sedans have done this route. I don't think SUV/UV is a must.

Anyways, I am dropping the plan to Vizag, at least by car.I will hold this road trip till the road widening work is done and my kid will also grow up a bit by that time.

I might try the train option. Otherwise, i will look for some destinations closer to Hyderabad which can be done in 7-8 hours. Currently, I am considering Dindi. I don't know if will be as bad as Vizag-Araku but the distance is much less.

Thanks for your replies. Really appreciated

Last edited by adimicra : 10th August 2011 at 17:21.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
AdiMicra, I had to travel to Vizag the last weekend for a Business Visit with a cousin of mine and we did a Hyd-Vizag-Araku-Hyd stretch and the whole experience was horrible, especially the peak traffic and potholes the sizes of craters on Moon.
I am planning to do HYD-VIZG - ARKU - VIZG - HYD trip by car and this is the first time I will be driving on these roads.

From the responses so far looks like NH9 and NH5 are the best roads to go thru.

I should have read this blog earlier but unfortunately did not and booked APTDC Rushikonda Haritha hotel and Haritha Vally resort. I will be driving with my wife for a holiday.

From what I read here I understand that this is not really a good time to go. But with all the planning done now I dont want to change this decision.

Any help on what to avoid and how best I can make this holiday look good. I am planning to take a tent along and put it for half a day on one of the good beaches.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting full posts. It inconveniences our small screen readers.

Last edited by n_aditya : 11th August 2011 at 14:23.
Old 11th August 2011, 00:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
Any help on what to avoid and how best I can make this holiday look good. I am planning to take a tent along and put it for half a day on one of the good beaches.
From one Nikhil to Another. Nikhil, hope you aren't serious about setting up the tent on one of the good beaches. Rather than being a comfort, it's would be like inviting more attention and trouble. I would suggest that you avoid doing this to keep those High-Flyers away from you. These trouble makers might spoil your mood.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
From one Nikhil to Another. Nikhil, hope you aren't serious about setting up the tent on one of the good beaches. Rather than being a comfort, it's would be like inviting more attention and trouble. I would suggest that you avoid doing this to keep those High-Flyers away from you. These trouble makers might spoil your mood.
Thanks for you suggestion. What is the best time to start from Secunderabad... good place to have breakfast ...then Lunch.

With total breaks of say 1 hour how long do you think the trip will take from Secunderabad to Vizag. I am booked at Rushikonda APTDC guest house.

Good gas stations that I can fill during this trip.

Is NH9 & NH5 the best roads to take us quicker to Vizag.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:37   #41

Quote:
+1 to what you said SILVERWOOD. The long weekends are the times these places can be or rather say, should be avoided.

Had a very bad experience the last time, when I went to Araku with my family members. The Moronic Revelers of Long Weekend create a ruckus and sorts, which spoil the mood of every individual around. Have seen them behaving cheap with families & couples at Araku valley. Atleast, I was lucky that I was with my whole family and in no way would 6 morons flying high in the air take over a group of 40 odd people, with 60% of people being males and in the age group of 22-36.

I get jitters, when I think, what would have happened if it was only a couple there. They would have literally brought them to tears for sure. Have a number of horrid tales about these Moronic Revelers of Long Weekend, who frequent Araku Valley to satiate their desire of spoiling others holidays and moods.
Is this still true on the Moronic Revelers of Long Weekend?

I'm planning for Hyd-Vzg trip with my family (wife & kids, teen & near 10) between 28Sep and 8Oct. I'll workaround my trip to Arakku during weekdays... would that save me?
Old 12th September 2011, 18:57   #42
BHPian

Until unless its not a long weekend, where in they drive down to Araku Valley, I would say its ok as of now. There shouldn't be much of an issue going there. The regular weekends are not much of an hassle but the one's which coincide with festivals or festivities should be avoided like plague.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Currently, I am considering Dindi. I don't know if will be as bad as Vizag-Araku but the distance is much less.

Thanks for your replies. Really appreciated
Stretching it upto Srisailam is good. From Hyderabad to Srisailam it is about 210 km. Road is good. You get about 80 km of Ghat from Mannanur. It is good time to visit. The Krishna is in spate, the forest must have been green. Dindi is 110 from Hyderabad.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Stretching it upto Srisailam is good. From Hyderabad to Srisailam it is about 210 km. Road is good. You get about 80 km of Ghat from Mannanur. It is good time to visit. The Krishna is in spate, the forest must have been green.
The roads from Hyderabad to Srisailam are a bliss to drive on. Well tarred roads without much potholes or craters as generally expected on a State Highway. This time, the Road till Srisailam are true bliss and an amazing experience. When we went to Srisailam about 2 weeks ago, we were lucky to see 10 Gates open and water gushing out at full force.
Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries-img555_edit0.jpg

The recent rains did leave the Forest Range greener and beautiful. Every time I go to Srisailam, more do I fall in love with the Forest Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Dindi is 110 from Hyderabad.
I guess, he was speaking about Dindi, which is near Rajahmundry and not the Dindi Reservoir. Dindi Reservoir is just a day outing location and not soemthing, where you would love to spend a couple of days. Dindi, Rajahmundry on the other hand is a good location to spend a couple of days.
Old 20th September 2011, 15:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The roads from Hyderabad to Srisailam are a bliss to drive on. Well tarred roads without much potholes or craters as generally expected on a State Highway. This time, the Road till Srisailam are true bliss and an amazing experience. When we went to Srisailam about 2 weeks ago, we were lucky to see 10 Gates open and water gushing out at full force.
Yes, the sight is to behold.

Srisailam is one of my favourite sites. As a matter of fact, I was born when my father was working on the construction of dam and I was named after the Lord.

My earliest, abiding memory was water gushing out over the dam. At that time the construction was more or less complete but the gates and the structures supporting the gates were yet to be installed. I remember it was during Dasara holidays. That was in 1980, I was then 7 years old. My father was transferred in 1981 from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks