Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 23:35   #166
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
Thank you gentlemen.
1. Is it completely 4 lane between Hyderabad and Vizag?
2. How good is the stretch for night driving? Say departing Vizag around 6pm.
Thanks again.
Visakhapatnam to Rajamundry is a breeze and would not be uncomfortable

From Rajahmundry to Vijayawada, there are 2 [or possibly 3] different routes

1. The primary road,NH5 ,after Rajahmundry, would turn South East, run parallel to the Godavari and crosses it near Ravulapalem, turns NW again, via Tanuku, Tadepalligudem & Eluru reaches Vijayawada.

Distance- 380 KM

2. This route involves crossing the river @ Vijjeswaram, heading to Nidadovolu and then to Tadepalligudem and then to Vijayawada.

Distance- 347 KM

3. This route bypasses Rajahmundry [ a sign board before entering the city is well placed and cannot be missed] , crosses the river on the newly constructed 4th Bridge, proceeds to Dommeru, Nallajerla and joins the NH5 after Tadepalligudem.

Distance- 338 KM

I took the 3rd route [and the shortest] twice;
once it was during the Sankranthi, started from Rajahmundry at 8 pm and reached Vijayawada around 11 pm.

second time, during Dasara, crossed Rajamundry at 4 pm in the evening and reached Vijayawada around 7 30 pm

You may safely avoid the second route due to too localized roads .
I cannot comment on the 1st route but AFAIK, the truckers and buses probably do not take this road and ply by the third route
And due to this, the traffic remains high in the 3rd route, which might be due to the fact that it is the shortest and also a no-toll road. But since it is a 2 lane road, overtaking is quite hazardous with the trucks.

A strange thing I noticed was that during my traverse in between 9 pm to 11 pm, the truck traffic was significantly very low but it was quite opposite in between 5 pm to 7 pm [ and in the late morning hours too while I was going towards Rajamundry] . This may be due to the truckers resting after 8 or 9 pm till midnight to restart their journeys from those hours.

If my observation is right, then you might take the third route itself or you may take the NH5 itself.

Last edited by poised2drive : 17th November 2015 at 23:40.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 00:01   #167
BHPian

^^
I will stick to the primary route NH5 between Rajamundhry and Vizag.

What is the strategy to bypass Vijaywada? If am departing Vizag around 6pm then I foresee being at Vijayawada around midnight. However, if I am making a morning start from Vijaz then I should be around midday when we reach Vijayawada.

I can see a Vijaywada bypass in google map. Is it worthwhile?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries-vjabypass.jpg  

Old 18th November 2015, 08:27   #168
BHPian

Quote:
^^

What is the strategy to bypass Vijaywada? If am departing Vizag around 6pm then I foresee being at Vijayawada around midnight. However, if I am making a morning start from Vijaz then I should be around midday when we reach Vijayawada.

I can see a Vijaywada bypass in google map. Is it worthwhile?
Yes, it is a bit less hectic but not totally free from traffic; thanks to Vijayawada !

You got turn away from NH5 at Ramavarapadu and you'll join the NH5 @ Gollapudi.

However, if you're reaching Vijayawada at midnight, it may not advisable to take this as this stretch got some narrow and localized roads where it might prove difficult to find the right direction [ even with the help of Google maps] and if coupled with any possible road diversions due to political or religious rituals, it is a total head ache.

So in wee hours, take the NH5 itself even with the truckers traffic.

You may choose the byepass road if you hit Vijayawada at normal hours and do not hesitate to ask for directions if you doubt the maps.
Old 18th November 2015, 15:04   #169
BHPian

^^
Thanks. Both GMaps and my Tomtom PND suggest this bypass but as I expected there is more to it.

I guess my route between Vizag and HYD is more or less sorted out.

Secondly, what are the attractions around Vijaywada if I were to take a break for a day? Any recommended places for buying Andhra Silk Sarees or is it best reserved for Hyderabad? My missus is always game for shopping.
Old 18th November 2015, 21:07   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Yes, it is a bit less hectic but not totally free from traffic; thanks to Vijayawada !

You got turn away from NH5 at Ramavarapadu and you'll join the NH5 @ Gollapudi.

That is NH 9

Quote:
^^

Secondly, what are the attractions around Vijaywada if I were to take a break for a day? Any recommended places for buying Andhra Silk Sarees or is it best reserved for Hyderabad? My missus is always game for shopping.
If you're a history buff ,then Amaravathi, the Imperial Capital of Satavahanas and the would-be Capital of AP will be interesting and it is 30 KM from Vijayawada. Also there are Undavalli caves in the way to Amaravathi less than 10 Km from Vijayawada.

For sarees, Mangalagiri, lying less than 10 km away from Vja is quite famous.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 08:27   #171
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Vizag Route Query

Quote:
...If you're a history buff...
I am thinking of making detour for Prakasham Barrage even if we don't break journey at VJA.

Looks like a fine example of classical engineering. Do they have tours of working areas?

For Mangalagiri we need to proceed over the Prakasham Barrage. Is it the same place you mention? Then it will be killing two birds with one stone HQ can be persuaded easily.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:18   #172
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Vizag Route Query

Quote:
I am thinking of making detour for Prakasham Barrage even if we don't break journey at VJA.

Looks like a fine example of classical engineering. Do they have tours of working areas?

For Mangalagiri we need to proceed over the Prakasham Barrage. Is it the same place you mention? Then it will be killing two birds with one stone HQ can be persuaded easily.
I am not sure whether they're is any allowable places in the interior of the barrage since the major portion of the dam has got Gates. I assume you can take a walk or drive over the Barrage.

And yes, That Mangalagiri is same as you thought. You can stop at Undavalli caves if you are interested since you will pass through this place while going to Mangalagiri.
Old 5th April 2016, 09:02   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries

Guys :

It's been over 5 years that I drove on this stretch. Did go until Vijayawada 2-3 years ago but, not beyond

How are the roads from Hyderabad to Vizag?

How much time it takes to reach?

Any good places to stop enroute for lunch?

Also any recommendations of places to visit in Vizag and Araku is welcome
Old 5th April 2016, 13:21   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys :

It's been over 5 years that I drove on this stretch. Did go until Vijayawada 2-3 years ago but, not beyond

The roads are brilliant nowBudget for 10hrs with breaks.the best place to eat is still at Suryapet or at Vijayawada,after that nothing of any notable mention till you reach Vizag(unless something has come up in the recent past).To visit,Simhachalam,Borra caves,Kailasagiri,Submarine museum,Beach Road,Rishikonda beach,Dolphins nose,RK Beach are some of the places that come into my mind,
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:23   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Guys :

Avi Sir,
The road till Vijayawada is Top-class and you can just 'pedal the metal' your Aspire , but traffic plays the spoiler at times and can be a real pain in the back during vacations, especially the long queue lines near Toll gates ! So see that you wound't be there on that road on vacations.

Apart from the Food 7 , which is ridiculously costly, there's a place on the left side of highway [ while driving to Vijayawada] near the Suryapeta Toll gate [ just keep an eye on the left side of the road when you approach Suryapeta as I cannot remember if this is before or after the toll gate] . IIRC, the name of the hotel is Kondapalli which is like a typical closed compound dhaba-esque Hotel which got a bunch of huts with an A/c cabin too and [moderately] clean toilets. It primarily serves Andhra Cuisine, both Nv & V. Since i am a vegan, I cannot comment on the taste of NV items but as I hear from my family, it was fine.
In addition to this, you have many options near Suryapeta.

If you are planning to visit Vijayawada, let me know- there are some good restaurants that can satiate our taste buds.

From Vijayawada to Rajamundry, the ride gets a bit bumpy ,not that the road is bad, but due to the superb previous experience from Hyd-Vja Road.

I suggest you can have your food @ Rajamundry [ Hotel Sheldon Rajamahendri/ Leela pavilion are fine places] for which you have to take the Road-cum-Rail bridge to enter Rajamundry and Traffic is not a big issue here.

[My previous posts might be of some help on the route specifications]

From Rjmndry-Visakhapatnam, the Road is fine but the pavement is not as smooth as the Hyd-Vja stretch but you can do the 3 digit speeds easily. Also there are few decent places on this stretch as far as I know [ i may be wrong too]

I did Vskp to Vjwda in less than 5:30 Hours with a couple of pitstops [ started @ VSKP on 1:30 and reached Vja at 7 pm ] and you could decrease the time depending on the speed and traffic.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by poised2drive : 5th April 2016 at 13:26.
Old 5th April 2016, 14:15   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys. Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
To visit,Simhachalam,Borra caves,Kailasagiri,Submarine museum,Beach Road,Rishikonda beach,Dolphins nose,RK Beach are some of the places that come into my mind,
Thanks for this list. Submarine Museum is open for public I assume?

Also, there was a beach that I visited once which comes after crossing some mountain type road and driving a steep road down. Forgot the name but, its relatively unknown and little away from Vizag city. Do you know this place?

Quote:
Avi Sir, The road till Vijayawada is Top-class and you can just 'pedal the metal' your Aspire , but traffic plays the spoiler at times and can be a real pain in the back during vacations, especially the long queue lines near Toll gates ! So see that you wound't be there on that road on vacations.

I suggest you can have your food @ Rajamundry [ Hotel Sheldon Rajamahendri/ Leela pavilion are fine places] for which you have to take the Road-cum-Rail bridge to enter Rajamundry and Traffic is not a big issue here. From Rjmndry-Visakhapatnam, the Road is fine but the pavement is not as smooth as the Hyd-Vja stretch but you can do the 3 digit speeds easily. Also there are few decent places on this stretch as far as I know [ i may be wrong too]

I did Vskp to Vjwda in less than 5:30 Hours with a couple of pitstops [ started @ VSKP on 1:30 and reached Vja at 7 pm ] and you could decrease the time depending on the speed and traffic.
You gave the options for food at Rajamundry . Can you also share some good places to enjoy typical Andhra cuisine both at Vijayawada as well as Vizag? Just in case, if I happen to do a pit-stop, would be good to know

Basically, Hyd to Vijayawada is 3.5 hours. And, Vijayawada to Vizag is ~ 6 hours. Not bad!

I used to ride my bike until Suryapet so I know the road is pedal to metal but, good to know the roads are brilliant until Vizag

Do share good options for Andhra eating joints. Want to experience the true blue cuisine...Also, there was a place in Vizag that was featured on HOMP...Anyone knows that?
Old 5th April 2016, 14:48   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yup, INS Kurusura is open to public. I think timings are 10 to 6 pm.

Quote:
Also, there was a beach that I visited once which comes after crossing some mountain type road and driving a steep road down. Forgot the name but, its relatively unknown and little away from Vizag city. Do you know this place?
I guess that's Yarada. Or could be Rushikonda beach, opposite GITAM campus.

Quote:
Basically, Hyd to Vijayawada is 3.5 hours. And, Vijayawada to Vizag is ~ 6 hours. Not bad!
Whoa, a more realistic estimate to Vijaywada is 4 hours! And don't forget to factor 30 to 45 minutes to cross Vijaywada, which is frustratingly slow.

Quote:
Do share good options for Andhra eating joints. Want to experience the true blue cuisine...Also, there was a place in Vizag that was featured on HOMP...Anyone knows that?
I'll find out and revert on that HOMP restaurant. Was it Rajugari Hotel opposite GITAM campus?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 14:56   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

I'll find out and revert on that HOMP restaurant. Was it Rajugari Hotel opposite GITAM campus?
Quote:
Also, there was a place in Vizag that was featured on HOMP...Anyone knows that?
Yes that was indeed the Rajugari Dhaba opp Gitam.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:12   #179
BHPian

Quote:

?

Can you also share some good places to enjoy typical Andhra cuisine both at Vijayawada as well as Vizag? Just in case, if I happen to do a pit-stop, would be good to know
I can suggest a couple of restaurants [or mess] for you Sir , but let me warn you that you'd be risking the Traf'fikars' of the City !

If you are interested in mess- Ramayya mess is a famous one in Governorpeta , but only Veg [ nothing like our KDM ] !

You can try Sweet Magic [ a restaurant chain with a couple of branches around] . Try the MG/Bandar Road Branches/ NTR Health Univ Branch. This has some authentic Andhra cuisine with veg and NV varieties.

Two more good places I can think of are RR Durbar and Rasoi - both on MG /Bandar Road near PVP Square Mall .

For breakfast, Babai hotel in Gandhi nagar, pretty famous for its Idlies !
OR there's a place called Idly & Idly , again on MG Road with wide varieties of Dosa . The Chutney is just finger-licking good here !

Quote:

Submarine museum is open to public with timings from 2pm to 9pm [ we missed it last time ]and IIRC monday holiday
Have fun !

Last edited by poised2drive : 5th April 2016 at 15:17.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 07:59   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes that was indeed the Rajugari Dhaba opp Gitam.
Quote:
It is indeed the Rajugari Dhaba. Have been there a couple of times in the past. Many many years ago even before HOMP found them

Wanted to know if there are any other places that HOMP visited during their trip to Vizag?

Quote:
I guess that's Yarada. Or could be Rushikonda beach, opposite GITAM campus.
Spot on. It is Yarada Beach. Rushikonda is part of RK Beach

Yarada approach road is nice and seem exclusive and out of bounds for general public. People need to make an effort to reach there

Quote:
Whoa, a more realistic estimate to Vijayawada is 4 hours! And don't forget to factor 30 to 45 minutes to cross Vijayawada, which is frustratingly slow.
Thanks. No hurry. Want to enjoy the drive. It's been ages that I have been on this route so want to enjoy the Andhra scenery while driving

Quote:
Please use your CBI moles and do let me know of any more HOMP places around

Quote:
I can suggest a couple of restaurants [or mess] for you Sir , but let me warn you that you'd be risking the Traf'fikars' of the City !
Thanks. I assume all these suggestions are within VjW. Any similar suggestions for Vizag?

Agree. There can only me one KDM in our country. Superb !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks