Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 14:45   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to vizag,

Checking for updates for Hyd - Vizag Route
Plan to do a 5AM Start from ORR to reach Vizag by evening/early night

Option 1 - ORR - Ramoji- Suryapet - Khammam- Rajahmundry - NH5 - Vizag
Option 2- ORR - Ramoji - Suryapet -NH5- Vijaywada - NH5- Rajahmundry - Vizag
Option 3- ORR - Warangal highway - Hanamkoda - Suryapet - Khammam- Rajahmundry - NH5 - Vizag
Old 6th December 2011, 17:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post

I would reccomend option 2.You should be in VJA in 5.5 to 6hours and you should be touching Vizag outskirts in another 6.5-7hours from VJA at your slowest best.

You could stop for breakfast at the world class 7-Refresh,Recharge,Restart Welcome to Food 7
Old 6th December 2011, 17:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Checking for updates for Hyd - Vizag Route
Plan to do a 5AM Start from ORR to reach Vizag by evening/early night

Option 1 - ORR - Ramoji- Suryapet - Khammam- Rajahmundry - NH5 - Vizag
Option 3- ORR - Warangal highway - Hanamkoda - Suryapet - Khammam- Rajahmundry - NH5 - Vizag
Follow option 2.
If you start at 5 AM, you will be reaching Vizag in the night. Expect 15 hours time atleast for the drive. Most of your speed will be lost between Hyderabad and Vijayawada.
And from Vijayawada it will be smooth sailing to Vizag as it is 4 laned.

Otherwise you can try this road. I am not aware of the road conditions now, but there will be way less traffic and it will be on 2 laned roads upto Rajamundry.
Hyd - Bongir/yadagirigutta - Khammam - Rajamundry ( no need to touch Suryapet).

In option 2, you will only hit 4 laned road only from Rajamundry on the last stretch of your journey.
Old 7th December 2011, 08:10   #64
BHPian

Thanks !
Will stick to Option 2 only..any tips on bypassing Vijaywada, Rajahmundry quickly ?
I'll prob be somewhere between vijy & rajahmundry during lunch time (2-4 pm) - Any recommendations for grub in between ?
Old 7th December 2011, 10:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !
Will stick to Option 2 only..any tips on bypassing Vijaywada, Rajahmundry quickly ?
I'll prob be somewhere between vijy & rajahmundry during lunch time (2-4 pm) - Any recommendations for grub in between ?
Best of luck for the drive Paharino

please do update this thread once you are done with the drive about which route you opted for finally and how were the road/traffic conditions.
Old 7th January 2012, 21:20   #66
BHPian

I am planning to do the NH5 route during the Jan 14th timeline. Any updates on the road conditions? Espicially the conditions between Hyderabad - Nandigama?
Old 12th January 2012, 16:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
I am planning to do the NH5 route during the Jan 14th timeline. Any updates on the road conditions? Espicially the conditions between Hyderabad - Nandigama?
Hi ubsmart, I along with my wife are currently doing a Mumbai to Vizag and back to Mumbai Road Trip. We started from Mumbai on 7th, stopped at Solapur for the night and then did a Solapur to Vijayawada, spend the night in Vijayawada and then straight to Vizag.

Since you have asked for Hyderabad to Nandigama I will stick to that, will post my travelogue once i am back!!

Our route profile was as below - Hyderabad to Nandigama to Vijayawada was all NH9 throughout.

On the whole, the entire NH9 is undergoing repairs/widening, so PLEASE AVOID NIGHT DRIVING if you can, or if you are a novice driver.

The road condition from Hyderabad to Suryapet is very good in parts where road laying is complete. Otherwise it is just a series of diversions, you will keep getting stuck behind trucks and swinging in and out of diversions and from behind trucks. Some towns on the way are also bad bottlenecks.

Suryapet to Nandigama, I FELT was in a slightly worse state, but this could be attributed to the fatigue and continuous assault on my senses from +12hrs highway driving on the NH9 mostly, but still it is nothing an experienced driver can't handle, especially during the daytime!!

Post Nandigama, you get a four lane highways except going thru some villages, but again nothing that you can't handle, and again you will encounter some traffic entering Vijayawada.

Time wise, we started Solapur - 0730; Hyderabad ORR - 1130; Ramoji Film City - 1230; Suryapet 7 Refresh Restaurant - 1430; Vijayawada - 1730.

Stopovers were at Maha-Karnataka Border 30mins; 7 Refresh 30-45mins; Just before Vijaywada 10mins photo break.

Hope this helps.. Drive safe.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 23:33   #68
BHPian

@PG- Thanks for a very detailed write up on the condition. I just missed reading this before I took up the journey. Anyway, I went and came back. I cannot agree more than what you wrote for the Hyderabad-Nandigama condition of the road. The road is driveable and as you said can be easy for driving during day time. But, given a choice, I wont even get on to this road during night. I travelled to TPGudem and all I took for 7:30 hours for the entire journey with a 30 minutes break in between @ Suryapet. In return I covered it in 7 hours though.
Old 26th January 2012, 02:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
@PG- Thanks for a very detailed write up on the condition. I just missed reading this before I took up the journey. Anyway, I went and came back. I cannot agree more than what you wrote for the Hyderabad-Nandigama condition of the road. The road is driveable and as you said can be easy for driving during day time. But, given a choice, I wont even get on to this road during night. I travelled to TPGudem and all I took for 7:30 hours for the entire journey with a 30 minutes break in between @ Suryapet. In return I covered it in 7 hours though.
Congrats on finishing this journey. I do this route frequently. The Hyd - Vijayawada road. Once you are stuck behind a truck, you would need to wait atleast 5 minutes before a next overtaking chance. If you miss that change, then good luck at reaching Vijayawada in less time.

The news is that once the 4 laning is done, 6 laning will start immediately. (Not sure of the authenticity of this ). But why didnt the govt start the 6 laning now itself instead of waiting for 4 laning to complete? This road definitely needs 6 lanes to handle the traffic it carries.
Old 29th February 2012, 19:38   #70
BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries

any latest updates regarding hyderabad to vizag?
Old 1st March 2012, 17:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
any latest updates regarding hyderabad to vizag?
Go via Vijayawada.HYD-VJA route is improving and should take you around 5 hours.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:30   #72
BHPian

and from vijaywada hows the route? and how long with that take?
Old 1st March 2012, 18:43   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
and from vijaywada hows the route? and how long with that take?
I have not taken the Vja-Vizag route for some time now, but could say that it is a good 4-lane (2*2) road all the way and should take you between 7..9hr.

Have done Hyd-Vja-Hyd a couple of weeks ago via the Suryapet-Nandigama route, should take ~6hr. The road widening is on-going, be careful at the diversions. Lot of (un)intentional uneven patches /speed-breakers are left open by the construction guys. These may be patched up only when the road is nearing completion.
Old 1st March 2012, 21:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Traveled from Hyderabad to Vijayawada this weekend.
Hyderabad- Chottupal almost four laned.
Chottupal-Chitial-four lane is complete.
Chitial-Suryapet one side of the road is complete and diversions are less.
Halted at hotel 7 at Suryapet good option neat toilets.
Suryapet-Kodad diversion are there but one side of the road is complete.
Kodad bridge construction is progressing.
Kodad -Nadigama some stretches are incomplete.
Nandigama-Vijayawada is four laned.
It took about 5hrs to reach Vijayawada.
Old 15th March 2012, 02:07   #75
BHPian

I have traveled in the Hyderabad - Maredumilli(Hyd - Vijayawada - Rajamundry - Maredumilli) road this weekend.

Road updates of Hyd - Vijayawada road
4 laning is going in full flow. The 4 laning should be done by the end of this year if they keep up this pace. There are lots of diversions and it causes terrible confusion.
If anyone is planning to start from Vijayawada in the night and reach Hyd in the morning, simple answer is dont. Closer to Hyd due to diversions, long long traffic jams are common. I was unfortunate and was caught up in one such traffic jam. The traffic jam was minimum 10 kms long with slow movement in 1st and 2nd gears.

On my onward journey, there was a big accident. A ford Ikon was travelling in the wrong direction and hit a lorry carrying LPG gas at high speed. None of the people in the car survived. It was a mistake of Ikon and he was travelling in the wrong direction. My guess is that he missed one such diversion and unknowingly went at high speeds in opposite direction and hit the lorry. Even though the accident was fatal, it was quite lucky that the LPG Gas cylinders did not explode. In the accident, none of the car was left behind. It was totally gone. The Lorry's front axle was completely gone.
Due to this accident, we were caught up in the traffic for nearly 2.5 hours. the traffic jam might have been in excess of 4kms

My suggestion would be to negotiate this route slowly. if possible avoid this road for atleast next 1 year.
Also if anyone is planning to reach Vijayawada early morning, the fog + dust is creating havoc and there is minimal visibility. I had less than 10 mtrs visibility. So had to stop on the side with parking lights and then follow a bus slowly.

Another big problem with this highway is the dust from all the construction happening around reducing visibility. Also the dust forms a layer on the wind screen. So one needs to constantly stop vehicle, clean the wind screen and then proceed. Again attempt this route only if one has enough experience on highways. Otherwise it will be really painful and tiring to do the 270 kms stretch.

In addition to 7, there is hotel Nandini about 30-40 kms after Ramoji which is a good option. Hotel Riviera is another good option 70kms after Ramoji Film City.

The rest of road conditions are updated by gajadonga above, and I have no further updates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks