Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:50   #3556
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Any update on Bangalore - Nilambur route to Kochi? I wish to do this route for Easter since I am traveling during day.

Also, Bangalore - Chamarajnagar - Gudalur OR Bangalore - Mysore - Gudalur is better for an early morning start?
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:59   #3557
BHPian

I will be travelling from Coimbatore to Haripad on Thursday. Plan to start early around 5 Am. Would like to know if Palakkad to Thirssur via Shoranur is recommended.
Google maps show a difference of twenty odd Kms. Is it worth it? Would I be saving on some travel time as compared to the normal NH47?
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:34   #3558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
I will be travelling from Coimbatore to Haripad on Thursday. Plan to start early around 5 Am. Would like to know if Palakkad to Thirssur via Shoranur is recommended.
Google maps show a difference of twenty odd Kms. Is it worth it? Would I be saving on some travel time as compared to the normal NH47?
The road via Shornur is in good condition. But, it passes through many small towns and there is one railway gate as well.

I'm not sure if you will save time. In fact you may take more time. But the advantage is that the road is in a better condition than NH 47.
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:41   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You will definitely take more time than NH 47. Since you start at 5:00 AM from Coimbatore, the Palakkad - Thrissur section won't be too crowded. Take the NH 47 all the way.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:13   #3560
BHPian

How about on my way back (To Bangalore)? If I reach Mannuthy around 10AM, would you still suggest the NH47?
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:18   #3561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Any update on Bangalore - Nilambur route to Kochi? I wish to do this route for Easter since I am traveling during day.

Also, Bangalore - Chamarajnagar - Gudalur OR Bangalore - Mysore - Gudalur is better for an early morning start?
See the update from Binaiks - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2710328

Btw, I'm taking the Kanakpura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Palakkad route to Cochin tomorrow.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:27   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
How about on my way back (To Bangalore)? If I reach Mannuthy around 10AM, would you still suggest the NH47?
NH47 is in pretty good shape between coimbatore and mannuthy. I traveled yesterday and took 2 1/2 hours to reach kovai bypass from EKM with a relaxed drive. About 5 km before and after kuthiran uphill the road is little bumpy but no surprises.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:30   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would still suggest NH 47. The other route is crowded and you will have to pass through many towns. It will definitely take 30 mins more than NH 47.
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:33   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

Btw, I'm taking the Kanakpura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Palakkad route to Cochin tomorrow.
Thank you Lloyd.

Is it the same route you went last time? Vijay too recommended this route and advised to join NH directly instead of going through Coimbatore city
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:42   #3565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

- If you want to drive for a change on this route, Nilambur option is fine.
- Bangalore-ChamarajnagarGundlupet option surely! You can break at Gundlupet CCD.
But for that you need to come back towards Nanjangud on the NH212 by about 2-3 km.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:50   #3566
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Lloyd.

Is it the same route you went last time? Vijay too recommended this route and advised to join NH directly instead of going through Coimbatore city
Yes it is the same route that I took last time. I didn't have any issues with traffic in Coimbatore City last time but nevertheless I'm not taking any chances this time. I have decided to take a Left turn from Annur to bypass the City.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:09   #3567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is the same route that I took last time. I didn't have any issues with traffic in Coimbatore City last time but nevertheless I'm not taking any chances this time. I have decided to take a Left turn from Annur to bypass the City.
Is the 4 laning work complete now on NH47 between Karumathampatti (the place where you get onto NH47 from Annur) and CBE byepass start ? The last time I went via Annur-Karumathampatti (about 6 or 7 months ago), it took me about 45 minutes to cover that 10-15 kms on NH47 thanks to broken roads and crazy traffic.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:12   #3568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Is the 4 laning work complete now on NH47 between Karumathampatti (the place where you get onto NH47 from Annur) and CBE byepass start ? The last time I went via Annur-Karumathampatti (about 6 or 7 months ago), it took me about 45 minutes to cover that 10-15 kms on NH47 thanks to broken roads and crazy traffic.
Last time I did not take a turn from Annur. I went through the City to reach Coimbatore. Thanks for the update. Btw, Is there any other route that I can take to bypass the City?
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:37   #3569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last time I did not take a turn from Annur. I went through the City to reach Coimbatore. Thanks for the update. Btw, Is there any other route that I can take to bypass the City?
I wouldn't really refer to my message as an "update" since I was referring to conditions in August / September 2011. Things might have improved drastically now if the 4 laning work is complete. If so, Annur-Karumathampatti would be the best way to bypass Coimbatore.

The route I took in my subsequent trips via NH209 was to continue further towards Coimbatore for about 16 more kms (from Annur) and take the left turn at Kurumbapalayam. (This turn is marked on a signboard there as "Coimbatore Airport") This takes you to the old NH47 (6 lane road) about 5-6 kms from L&T byepass start towards Coimbatore city. You need to take a left here towards Avinashi to get to the start of the L&T byepass at Neelampur and take an acute right turn (almost a U turn) there to get onto byepass.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:52   #3570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I wouldn't really refer to my message as an "update" since I was referring to conditions in August / September 2011. Things might have improved drastically now if the 4 laning work is complete. If so, Annur-Karumathampatti would be the best way to bypass Coimbatore.

The route I took in my subsequent trips via NH209 was to continue further towards Coimbatore for about 16 more kms (from Annur) and take the left turn at Kurumbapalayam. (This turn is marked on a signboard there as "Coimbatore Airport") This takes you to the old NH47 (6 lane road) about 5-6 kms from L&T byepass start towards Coimbatore city. You need to take a left here towards Avinashi to get to the start of the L&T byepass at Neelampur and take an acute right turn (almost a U turn) there to get onto byepass.
Will try the 2nd option tomorrow.

Most Viewed