Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 16:31   #3496
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Route mentioned by ajithbr is an excellent option. Many buses going towards Kozhikode from Bangalore are taking this route nowadays. The difference in terms of distance is also marginal. Via kutta it is around 380km and via Telicherry it is 390km. Only thing is you have to plan up your timings so that you avoid driving Telicherry-Kozhikode during peak hours, else getting through the stretch from Telicherry upto Mahe town and crossing Mahe town would be royal pain!
Be careful with the approx 15-km ghat section between Perumpadi and Koottupuzha. No hair-pin bends but some blind curves. Except this stretch and the slightly damaged-n-rough forest section between Hunsur and Gonikoppal, you can drive fast it you need to. Between 11 PM and 1 AM, there will be some heavy traffic climbing up in the ghat section between Perumpadi and Koottupuzha; mainly the buses that start from Kannur/Thalassery/Vadakara/Payyannur/now-even-Calicut in the night towards Mysore/Bangalore. That is why I suggested a slightly earlier start, say by 6 PM, from Bangalore.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 18:25   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Kutta route, in whatever state, is not a comfortable one to drive during night due to many reasons. BTW, where exactly are you going to Calicut?
Thanks Ajith. There might be a change in plan too. As for now the engagement date is fixed for 29th and since that's in the middle of the week they are planning to change it to probably a Sat/Sun which means it is good news for me and I can have a relaxed drive. I will get a clear picture on the date by tomorrow. Btw, I will be going to Kadavu Resort / Hajj House in Calicut.

Quote:
Route mentioned by ajithbr is an excellent option. Many buses going towards Kozhikode from Bangalore are taking this route nowadays. The difference in terms of distance is also marginal. Via kutta it is around 380km and via Telicherry it is 390km. Only thing is you have to plan up your timings so that you avoid driving Telicherry-Kozhikode during peak hours, else getting through the stretch from Telicherry upto Mahe town and crossing Mahe town would be royal pain!
I have traveled on this route going via HD Kote 3-4 years back. How are the roads now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Be careful with the approx 15-km ghat section between Perumpadi and Koottupuzha. No hair-pin bends but some blind curves. Except this stretch and the slightly damaged-n-rough forest section between Hunsur and Gonikoppal, you can drive fast it you need to. Between 11 PM and 1 AM, there will be some heavy traffic climbing up in the ghat section between Perumpadi and Koottupuzha; mainly the buses that start from Kannur/Thalassery/Vadakara/Payyannur/now-even-Calicut in the night towards Mysore/Bangalore. That is why I suggested a slightly earlier start, say by 6 PM, from Bangalore.
Will keep these options in mind and I'm hoping that the dates will allow me to take the easiest route
Old 19th March 2012, 19:18   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Re: Udumalaipet - Munnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Friends,

Any advice on the Udumalaipet - Munnar road? Am thinking of a Munnar plan for next week from Coimbatore. If that road is not a good choice any alternatives?
Udulmalpet-Munnar route is the most scenic route of all the three routes available to Munnar. Take this route and enjoy your drive with the scenic beauty.

I don't think you have a better alternative from Coimbatore.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:22   #3499
BHPian

Guys, anyone doing a Bangalore-Kochi this Thursday evening and willing to offer a ride for me, I would be grateful! I have a day train ticket for Friday but I don't want to waste an entire day in a train
Old 19th March 2012, 21:33   #3500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

I have traveled on this route going via HD Kote 3-4 years back. How are the roads now?
this route is not via HD kote. HD kote route till take you to Bavali-Mananthavady. This goes via Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty. roads are good except for the stretch between Hunsur and Virajpet which is average.
sandsun7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 21:49   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Udulmalpet-Munnar route is the most scenic route of all the three routes available to Munnar. Take this route and enjoy your drive with the scenic beauty.

I don't think you have a better alternative from Coimbatore.
Correct.
Another option is to start very early, say 4 or 5 am, come through Palghat, Trichur, Ernakulam byepass to Moovattupuzha. If with moderate fast early morning driving you can cover the 'city roads' upto MVPA, then reaching to Neryamangalam through Kothamangalam.
If interested in forest and dams, turn to left from Kothamangalam to Bhoothathankettu dam, cross it towards Idamalayar Dam through dense forests, just some 10+ kms. Come back within 1 or 2 hrs towards Neryamangalam to Munnar, through another great scenic route.

Finish Munnar, return through Udumalpettu: You get both...
Old 19th March 2012, 22:57   #3502
BHPian

@ Sunney,
the Walayar-Palghat-Trichur (upto Mannuthy) section is a nightmarish of sorts. Roads are in a VERY pathetic condition !
Old 20th March 2012, 01:34   #3503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Friends,

Any advice on the Udumalaipet - Munnar road? Am thinking of a Munnar plan for next week from Coimbatore. If that road is not a good choice any alternatives?
Udumalpet-Munnar is a known thing for good views.
The next question which route to take to reach Udumalpet.

The standard would be take you via Pollachi. Crossing the town would be pain.
If you stay close to Sulur road (NH81), drive down till Palldam and take the Udumalpet road. Crossing Palladam is much easier than crossing Pollachi.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:46   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Correct.
Another option is to start very early, say 4 or 5 am, come through Palghat, Trichur, Ernakulam byepass to Moovattupuzha. If with moderate fast early morning driving you can cover the 'city roads' upto MVPA, then reaching to Neryamangalam through Kothamangalam.

Finish Munnar, return through Udumalpettu: You get both...
This route will be too long compared to Udumalpet route though there are options to sight seeing. How is the road after Boothathankettu towards Edamalayar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
@ Sunney,
the Walayar-Palghat-Trichur (upto Mannuthy) section is a nightmarish of sorts. Roads are in a VERY pathetic condition !
This stretch is not that bad except few kms around Kuthiran and heavy traffic.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:43   #3505
BHPian

Did Bangalore University to Coimbatore and return on the same day (Sunday, 18 March 2012). Route = NICE @ Kengeri - Hosur Road - Krishnagiri - Salem - L & T bye pass @ Trichy Road intersection - Coimbatore. Since we knew that return would be well within 24 hours limit, purchased return fare at all the toll gates (except NICE). A few notes & updates:

Left BLR University @ 0445 hrs, reached Krishnaswamy Nagar, Off Trichy Road, Coimbatore @ 1045 hrs. Leisurely drive with occasional bursts touching 120 kmph. Breakfast stop at Saravana Bhavan after Salem. Good food, good service and clean toilets (wife was impressed). Refuelled at Indian Oil Petrol Station belonging to Sankari Lorry Owner's association (location = after Sankari town/village, a few kms after Salem). They provide a rebate of 40 paise per litre on diesel. Bill amount was Rs. 1472, paid Rs. 1458. Combined with the lower diesel rate in TN, this was bonanza for KA vehicles. As usual route upto Chengappally was a breeze. Chengapally to L & T bye pass start was much slower (thank god it was a Sunday, or it would have been worse).

The progress made on the interim road construction/flyover stretches seems to be quite slow, really could not make out any difference between my last trip in October & day before (nearly 6 months).

On the return journey, the same route was taken. Left at 1445 hrs and reached home at 2145 hours with about an hour spent in Electronic City.

I thought Bangalore was a bit hotter compared to Coimbatore during the day time.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:16   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
this route is not via HD kote. HD kote route till take you to Bavali-Mananthavady. This goes via Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty. roads are good except for the stretch between Hunsur and Virajpet which is average.
Yes, You are right about the HD Kote route. It goes via Bavali-Mananthavady. We had driven that route once to Thalassery. Btw, How is the road condition on that route?
Old 20th March 2012, 18:27   #3507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Yes, You are right about the HD Kote route. It goes via Bavali-Mananthavady. We had driven that route once to Thalassery. Btw, How is the road condition on that route?
About 15 kms around Karapur is in bad shape (This is the detour that you're forced to take through village roads at the Nagarahole WLS entrance checkpost), but the rest of the road was in excellent condition when I travelled that way last.

However, this is also not an option if you're travelling at night. Even this road is closed from 6PM to 6AM if my memory serves me right.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 20:05   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
About 15 kms around Karapur is in bad shape (This is the detour that you're forced to take through village roads at the Nagarahole WLS entrance checkpost), but the rest of the road was in excellent condition when I travelled that way last.

However, this is also not an option if you're travelling at night. Even this road is closed from 6PM to 6AM if my memory serves me right.
Kala, Thanks for the update. Oh I forgot that this is going through Nagarhole. So I have just 3 options now. 1) Gundlupet - Bandipur route with an early morning start 2) Gonikkopal - Kutta or Hunsur - Thalassery route if it is a night drive.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:06   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This stretch is not that bad except few kms around Kuthiran and heavy traffic.
Disagree, did this stretch last sunday. Post Mannuthy upto Vadakkancheri, the road condition is in a worst condition to say the least !
Old 21st March 2012, 10:56   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Disagree, did this stretch last sunday. Post Mannuthy upto Vadakkancheri, the road condition is in a worst condition to say the least !
Me too did this stretch last Sunday in day light. The road around Kuthiran is patched up but bumpy.

You will not say it "worst" if you traveled on this route few months back/during last monsoon.

Most Viewed