Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:05   #3526
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi, do you have any updates on the road construction status between pollachi and vadakkancherry ? Last month, my friend who took this route had to use the pollachi-palghat road as there as some bridge construction going on the pollachi-vadakkanchery route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The bridge construction is still on. Only two wheelers can pass.
@Joe I was not aware of this update at all. Thanks to @ramzsys for this piece.

PS: Sorry for the delay. Somehow I missed this post.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:06   #3527
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to Drive to Tirur from Bangalore this weekend. Normally I take the Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Tirur Route. But this time I need to drop a relative at Bathery. So no option other than taking the Wayanad route.

I have gone to Tirur via Calicut once in the past and that time I took the usual route which was the bypass from Malaparamba to Ramanatukara. Just wanted to check if there there is any better way to avoid Calicut to go to Tirur? I think there is a route from Thamarassery that can take me to Kondotty and from there take that road that starts near the airport and reaches somewhere close to University? Does that make sense? Or the standard bypass route is my best option?
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:34   #3528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just wanted to check if there there is any better way to avoid Calicut to go to Tirur? I think there is a route from Thamarassery that can take me to Kondotty and from there take that road that starts near the airport and reaches somewhere close to University? Does that make sense? Or the standard bypass route is my best option?
The following I think is the best option.

Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kotakkal-Tirur.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:39   #3529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But this time I need to drop a relative at Bathery. So no option other than taking the Wayanad route.

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The following I think is the best option.

Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kotakkal-Tirur.
Unfortunately, This wont work since I have to go via Bathery. After Bathery, any better option other than via Calicut?
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:43   #3530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately, This wont work since I have to go via Bathery. After Bathery, any better option other than via Calicut?
Sorry I missed that!

There is a road to Gudalur from Bathery. I am told its extremely scenic and good (but narrow).
If you are doing it in day time, it should not be a problem.

So you can do : Bathery-Gudalur-Nilambur-Edvanna-Manjeri-Malappuram-Kotakkal-Tirur.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:58   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Battery-Gudalur is 35-40 kms and a good road. Lots of local jeep taxi traffic.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:37   #3532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to Drive to Tirur from Bangalore this weekend. Normally I take the Gudalur-Nilambur-Manjeri-Malappuram-Tirur Route. But this time I need to drop a relative at Bathery. So no option other than taking the Wayanad route.

I have gone to Tirur via Calicut once in the past and that time I took the usual route which was the bypass from Malaparamba to Ramanatukara. Just wanted to check if there there is any better way to avoid Calicut to go to Tirur? I think there is a route from Thamarassery that can take me to Kondotty and from there take that road that starts near the airport and reaches somewhere close to University? Does that make sense? Or the standard bypass route is my best option?
Going via Thamarassery-Kondotty will not save you anything, the distance is at least 20 kms more and the driving time would be at least half an hour more.

There is another alternate route that avoids Calicut via Thamarassery-Mukkam - Areekode - Manjeri - Malappuram - Kottakkal. This would be approximately the same distance as the Calicut byepass route, but I'm not sure if this will save you any time either. Even though the roads are all in good condition, the Areekode-Manjeri-Malappuram route has quite a lot of traffic that can slow you down.

Batheri-Gudalur-Nilambur will also be much longer and quite time-consuming since you'll encounter a lot of traffic from Vazhikkadavu right upto Kottakkal.

All in all, I'd think Calicut byepass may be the best option, especially since NH212 is now in excellent condition right upto Calicut, and so is NH-17 south of Calicut.

In fact I'll be driving through the same route this Saturday - Will take NH209 to Gundlupet and go till Kalpetta on Saturday morning. From Kalpetta to Calicut Saturday evening, and Calicut to Guruvayur on Sunday early morning. (And back from Guruvayur to Bangalore the same afternoon)

Last edited by kala : 2nd April 2012 at 14:39.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:14   #3533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
All in all, I'd think Calicut byepass may be the best option, especially since NH212 is now in excellent condition right upto Calicut, and so is NH-17 south of Calicut.
From Bathery to Tirur, the best route, as mentioned by kala is to take NH212. The roads are in good condition and you can maintain a speed (But stick to the speed limit of 70Kmph on the bypass as there can be Highway Squad checking for speed). The route via Airport and University is narrow and congested, atleast the stretch from Airport (Kottapuram) to Kakkanchery.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:24   #3534
BHPian

I need help planning a road trip from Bangalore to Kollam (I'll be staying in Varkala). I've been to Madurai a couple of times so know NH 7 till there. Where I need help is,

1. Whether I take NH7 till Tirunelvelli and then go west on SH40 to hit Shenkottai, Tenkasi, Ottakal, Thiruvananthapuram Varkala ? (road condition??) or

2. Go on NH7 till Nagercoil and then take NH 17 (I think its NH17 from Bombay to Kanyakumari) and reach Kollam/Varkala.

3. any other road, the above 2 were from google maps.

All help much appreciated. Anyone been using MapMyIndia V6, is that reliable enough ?
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:31   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
I need help planning a road trip from Bangalore to Kollam (I'll be staying in Varkala). I've been to Madurai a couple of times so know NH 7 till there. Where I need help is,

1. Whether I take NH7 till Tirunelvelli and then go west on SH40 to hit Shenkottai, Tenkasi, Ottakal, Thiruvananthapuram Varkala ? (road condition??) or

2. Go on NH7 till Nagercoil and then take NH 17 (I think its NH17 from Bombay to Kanyakumari) and reach Kollam/Varkala.

3. any other road, the above 2 were from google maps.

All help much appreciated. Anyone been using MapMyIndia V6, is that reliable enough ?
The Tirumangaalam-Tenkasi-Kollam road is fine.

No need for any GPS, route is simple, signages are fine.
Thirumangalam-Srivilliputtur-Rajapalayam-Tenkasi-Schencottah-Aryankavu-Tenmala-Punalur-Kollam.

Take Tenkasi bypass.

For your clarification:
NH7 goes to Kanyakumari, you have to get off it just 18 kms before Nagercoil. From Nagercoil, it is NH47 to Trivandrum.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:41   #3536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Go with HVK. The Thenmala route is beautiful and to see old railway line curving over the bridge is fun. You would love it and so would the T-Jet.

Just need to know, which exit to take from Madurai by-pass. Should not be a problem to find out though.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:51   #3537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
.. You would love it and so would the T-Jet.

Just need to know, which exit to take from Madurai by-pass. Should not be a problem to find out though.
Case of mistaken identity, re-read the nickname but anyways thanks ampere, I'm just gonna hit the road

Last edited by kartikk : 2nd April 2012 at 17:53.
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:56   #3538
BHPian

Can someone help me with the current route and road condition to Wayanad from bangalore via mysore.

how long would it take and what parts of it are on a 4 lane.
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:01   #3539
BHPian

Quote:

NH-212+Calicut Bye-pass+NH-17 may be the most comfortable one.

Bathery->Ambalavayal/Vaduvanchal->Cherambadi->Pandalur->Nadugani->Nilambur may be a longer route (and for part, in the reverse direction too). Am not sure if there are good alternatives to climb down the western ghats near Nilambur.

For Thamarassery->Ramanattukara, I would have tried Thamarassery->Koduvalli->Go straight-ish left rather than taking 90-degree right to Calicut->NIT/REC Calicut(road adjacent to the backside compound wall next to Boys hostels)->Straight at the Kattangal junction after NIT towards Mavoor->Right turn just before Mavoor->Left turn just before Cheroopa towards Kavanakallu bridge to cross Chaliyar->Right turn after crossing the bridge by paying a toll of Rs.2/- only->Join Calicut Bye-pass just south of Kadavu Resorts->Ramanattukara Junction
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:03   #3540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Case of mistaken identity, re-read the nickname but anyways thanks ampere, I'm just gonna hit the road
Sorry sir ! I always get confused between you two. Whether the T-Jet or not, you will surely
enjoy that section, Its a beauty!

Most Viewed