Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 21:08   #3436
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Isn't KR on the RHS while coming from Kozhikode side? There are actually a lot of joints at Perumpilavu junction.
The KR on RHS side while coming from Kozhikode side is at Valanchery junction.

Yes. There are lots of joints at Perumpilavu junction. I just mentioned one that is easy to access (car parking right in front of the hotel) and also have clean washrooms. But, I think a better option is the KR group's big hotel on the LHS side (near to the big private hospital) just a couple of kms before Perumpilavu junction. I did not mention this as this is a stretch where you would be on high-speed.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 12:14   #3437
BHPian

Thanks a bunch Ajithbr and binaiks.
I am from Cherambadi and so from there, Nadugani and Bathery are almost equidistant. Folks travelling to Guruvayur/Palakkad from around our place take the Nadugani-Vazhikadavu route most of the time, instead of the Kozhikode-Kunnamkulam route and so thought about that route.

binaiks, the Thamarassery-Pattambi route, isn't that through Arecode?
If I take the Kozhikode route, the only thing that scares the hell out of me are those maniacal private buses plying between Kozhikode and Trissur.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 13:27   #3438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
binaiks, the Thamarassery-Pattambi route, isn't that through Arecode?
If I take the Kozhikode route, the only thing that scares the hell out of me are those maniacal private buses plying between Kozhikode and Trissur.
Yes. Thamarassery-Mukkam-Arecode-Manjeri-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi. I am not aware of the road condition, since I almost always travel via Kunnamkulam-Valanchery-Kozhikode. Private buses are scary, but I am used to them - so never a problem.
Old 29th February 2012, 14:39   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
Thanks Pramodpk for your inputs.

The route decided as of now is

Palladam->Sembatti->Batlagundu->Usilampatti->Peraiyur->Rajapalayam->Thenmala->Palode->Nedumangadu

Vehicle-Wagon R

Open to corrections/advices.

Undertook this Journey last week.

The route followed was -->

Palladam->Sembatti->Batlagundu->Usilampatti->Peraiyur->Rajapalayam->Thenmala->Palode->Nedumangadu-->TVM

Batlagundu is also pronounced as Vathalakkundu

From Peraiyur you can either take the bye-pass road via T.Kallupatti or take the normal town road to Rajapalayam.

All the roads are pretty ok, but are narrow with lesser straight roads.Except for Thenkasi, there are no bye pass roads.

Sorry for the late update
Old 29th February 2012, 16:15   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Thamarassery-Mukkam-Arecode-Manjeri-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi. I am not aware of the road condition, since I almost always travel via Kunnamkulam-Valanchery-Kozhikode. Private buses are scary, but I am used to them - so never a problem.
From Cherambadi to Guruvayur via Manjeri, take Manjeri->Malappuram->Kottakkal->Kuttipuram route rather than taking Perinthalmanna->Pattambi route. Kottakkal route is super-fine whereas Pattambi route is narrow and rough at many places.

BTW, Thamarassery->Mukkam->Arecode->Manjeri is reported to be in good condition. So is Nadugani->Nilambur->Manjeri whereas Nilambur->Perinthalmanna is not so good.

Now, if I were you who starts from Cherambadi towards Guruvayur, I would have ignored Calicut route(through Meppadi->Chundale->Wynad Ghats which is about 30kms longer than Nadugani route from Cherambadi; and not at all approaching either Bathery or even Kalpetta) and chosen Nilambur route anytime. On reaching Nilambur, I would opt for Manjeri->Kottakkal route rather than Perinthalmanna route. May add about 15-20 kms more but would definitely takes atleast half an hour less

Last edited by ajithbr : 29th February 2012 at 16:17.
Old 29th February 2012, 16:58   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Now, if I were you who starts from Cherambadi towards Guruvayur...
A request: Please quote the original poster's post - there is no point quoting my reply to him. Quoting his post would send a PM to him and he would be alerted of new replies in the topic.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 22:17   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
A request: Please quote the original poster's post - there is no point quoting my reply to him. Quoting his post would send a PM to him and he would be alerted of new replies in the topic.
Sure.
By mistake, I did this without noticing that I was not replying to the original poster. Hopefully, the message/information reached the intended person
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:18   #3443
BHPian

I have travelled from Bangalore to Kottayam on 29th. The Avinashi area is the worst with local private buses overtaking even on turnings with rough sound... hectic... rest again after L&T bypass, its worst till "pattikadu" near to trichur bypass... I have started at 4am from Bangalore and reach kottyam at 4pm, after 1.5 hrs breaks in b/w.

Travelling back on monday morning 8am from trichur....
Old 5th March 2012, 11:18   #3444
BANNED

Guys
Planning a trip to Madurai from cochin next week. Please suggest the best route.
Cheers
Dilipkumar
Old 5th March 2012, 11:33   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
Planning a trip to Madurai from cochin next week. Please suggest the best route.
Cheers
Dilipkumar
Cochin-Muvattupuzha-KOttayam-Kanjirapally-Kuttikanam-Peermede-Kumili-Kambam-Theni-Andipatti-Madurai
Old 5th March 2012, 11:45   #3446
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

Cochin-Muvattupuzha-KOttayam-Kanjirapally-Kuttikanam-Peermede-Kumili-Kambam-Theni-Andipatti-Madurai
Thanks hvkumar. ..but I can go to kottayam directly from cochin via thalayolaparambu rather than through muvattupuzha. .
Cheers
Old 5th March 2012, 12:25   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Thanks hvkumar. ..but I can go to kottayam directly from cochin via thalayolaparambu rather than through muvattupuzha. .
Cheers
Kochi-(Thalayolaparambu)-Kottayam-Kumili-Maduri as mentioned by HVK should be the fastest one. Just curious to understand the road condition of following route:

National Highway No. 49 Route:
Cochin - Tripunithura - Thiruvankulam - Puthencruz - Kolenchery - Muvattupuzha - Kothamangalam - Neriamangalam - Rajakkad - Pooppara - Bodinayakkanur - Theni - Andipatti - Usilampatti - Madurai

Which one is more scenic?
Old 5th March 2012, 12:29   #3448
BHPian

ernakulam, muvattupuzha, thodupuzha, idukki, kattappana, kumil, kambam, theni madurai seems better than going via kottayam.

Thodupuzha idukki kattappana kumily stretch is really nice
Old 5th March 2012, 12:47   #3449
BHPian

Did a round trip to Palakkad over the weekend.

For onward journey we took the NH209. Started from BEML Gate -Kanakapura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Dhimbam - Sathyamangalam - Annur - Coimbatore - Palakkad.

Now the road condition - 95% of the roads are excellent and the Dhimbam ghat are in very good shape too. There was some road work going on just after Kollegal town where the top layer of the road was gone. The drive was scenic and the traffic was sparse. We could maintain good speeds and reached Palakkad by 5pm in 9 hours with 1.5 hours of break. My friend drove sedately for 100 odd kms + the traffic once we entered Coimbatore City slowed down our progress.

The good news is that the only Toll we had to pay was Rs.8/- while leaving Coimbatore City limits

For the return journey we started from Chandranagar, Palakkad by 8.50am and reached Domlur by 3.45 pm. We took the NH-47 & 7 route via Coimbatore - Salem - Krishnagiri since I had to reach Bangalore by 4pm. Total time taken was 6.55 hours with 55 mins break for B'fast & fuel.

Road conditions - Palakkad - Coimbatore - Broken road with some diversions and sharp potholes after Walayar. The Avinashi stretch after L&T bypass is much improved now but it is very dusty. The rest of the roads are a breeze to drive.

I have decided that in future if I'm driving towards Coimbatore/Cochin I would take the Sathyamangalam route if it is a day drive and will stick to NH7 & 47 combo if it is a night drive.

The Sathyamangalam route does not have tolls and the biggest relief is that you don't get those Heart in mouth moments with the morons driving/riding on the wrong side of the road. FE would also be better since you tend to drive at a speed of 80-90 and don't get many straights where you can put pedal to metal like on the NH7 & 47.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:58   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

The good news is that the only Toll we had to pay was Rs.8/- while leaving Coimbatore City limits
Thanks for the update. Is there any exemption for local vehicles at this gate? I have seen several vehicles just drive off without paying anything. I felt like the staff too are not that serious in collection.

Most Viewed