Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 18:26   #3301
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Been to "Sree Saravana Bhavan" last Saturday while coming to Kochi. Its a nice place after Salem and 1km before toll booth ("Salem tollways") towards Coimbatore. Good place with huge parking facility.

Also, "Malabar Plaza" next to "Surya Retreat" after Walayar is a nice place. Its after "Oottupura" on left and about 12 kms before Palghat. They have a family a/c restaurant with clean toilets.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-sree-saravana-bhavan.jpg  

Old 17th January 2012, 18:50   #3302
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Cochin on Friday 20th Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Thanks Naveen, I'll stick to the route you suggested. I didn't know they resurfaced it. Hopefully its been done well.

Tassem.
Yes, last time when I drove they started re surfacing the entire stretch(that was in Aug'11). But seeing the number of reports of other members, it's actually a good report. But be careful while driving between Palghat-Thrissur. Am sure that it wont be perfect. Might have just patched the potholes. So be cautious. Also, watch out for the private bus drivers. They are reckless.

Anyways, let's see if we can spot each others cars in Blore. I will be there for a week.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:13   #3303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, last time when I drove they started re surfacing the entire stretch(that was in Aug'11). But seeing the number of reports of other members, it's actually a good report. But be careful while driving between Palghat-Thrissur. Am sure that it wont be perfect. Might have just patched the potholes. So be cautious. Also, watch out for the private bus drivers. They are reckless.

Anyways, let's see if we can spot each others cars in Blore. I will be there for a week.
Palghat-Thrissur is the biggest PITA!! I hope its better this time around. One of the reasons I took the detour last time was to avoid this stretch.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:07   #3304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Palghat-Thrissur is the biggest PITA!! I hope its better this time around. One of the reasons I took the detour last time was to avoid this stretch.
That's true but I guess this time it's better. Anyways, lets hope it is. Both of us got to drive this weekend.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:21   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Been to "Sree Saravana Bhavan" last Saturday while coming to Kochi. Its a nice place after Salem and 1km before toll booth ("Salem tollways") towards Coimbatore. Good place with huge parking facility.
I too had dinner last Friday there.. felt its little costly
It is easier to locate and reach from both sides, as there is road intersection right in front of the hotel.
Old 17th January 2012, 21:05   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That's true but I guess this time it's better. Anyways, lets hope it is. Both of us got to drive this weekend.
I did this route twice in December and again last Saturday. All potholes can be negotiated easily.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 22:58   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I did this route twice in December and again last Saturday. All potholes can be negotiated easily.
The stretch is fine for a day drive but is a pain during the peak hours in late evening and night with the maniac truckers constantly on high beams blinding you. I found it out the hard way last Sunday with a 7.30pm start from Ekm
Old 18th January 2012, 09:06   #3308
Senior - BHPian

Toll on the Edappally-Mannuthy section suspended again. Local organisations marched to the toll plaza last night and they block the toll gate for a long time around midnight. Toll collection has been suspended, and a decision would be taken after a high-level meeting (Yet again!).

Hope the contractor goes to court against these rubberstamp organisations and fight a case for compensation. The toll plaza was damaged by these people.
Old 18th January 2012, 11:18   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Pilgrims have started to walk on Perundurai route(Chennaimalai) and even as today early morning, it was real pain to drive through, with Pedestrians occupying almost half the road.

Festival is on february 7th. So better to skip this route until that.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:20   #3310
BHPian

^^ Very true. When we took this Perundurai -Kangeyam route last Friday night, lots of pilgrims were walking in Kangeyam direction on the left hand side of the road. We were forced keep the car mid of the road as a precaution.
It was very helpful when some pilgrims had small band of reflectors pasted on their back.

Last edited by Twiny : 18th January 2012 at 13:21.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:09   #3311
BHPian

Hi all,

Planning to travel to Wayanad from Bangalore this Saturday, 21st Jan. Heard there was some construction/repair work going on this route. Is my information right or is BLR-MYS-BANDIPUR-SULTHAN BATHERY-VYHTRI still the best route without hassles
Old 18th January 2012, 14:26   #3312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Hi all,

Planning to travel to Wayanad from Bangalore this Saturday, 21st Jan. Heard there was some construction/repair work going on this route. Is my information right or is BLR-MYS-BANDIPUR-SULTHAN BATHERY-VYHTRI still the best route without hassles
The work is on the ghat section between Wayanad and Kozhikode. So no issues till Vythiri. Since heavy vehicles are not allowed in the ghats during the repair they will have to take alternative routes and hence it maybe a more comfortable drive than usual.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:33   #3313
BHPian

That was my guess too Rajeevraj. Thanks for the info mate.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:02   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Hi all,

Watch out for some rough patches for around 5 kms from the beginning of the forest section on the Karnataka side (when coming from Bangalore, just after the first checkpost). There are also some rough patches near the Moolehole forest office (around 1 km either side).

I had driven through this route on Sunday and back yesterday (enroute to Mananthavady). I felt that the above sections have deteriorated compared to around three weeks back.

Yesterday, I also saw a lone tuskless elephant at a curve very close to the road in the first rough section - could have been a makhna. Given that I had to slow down to almost 10 kph to negotiate the rough patch, it was really lucky that the elephant did not attempt a charge, though it did give us a long stare. There was no way I could have sped away though that section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The work is on the ghat section between Wayanad and Kozhikode. So no issues till Vythiri. Since heavy vehicles are not allowed in the ghats during the repair they will have to take alternative routes and hence it maybe a more comfortable drive than usual.
To add to the above, my uncle had travelled from Thrissur to Wyanad and back yesterday (17th) and he said that he did not face any blocks in the Ghat section.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:06   #3315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Retain the toll receipts. The RTO is pulling over all non KA vehicles here in Bangalore for Road Tax. The toll receipts will help you make your case easier.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed