Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 16:18   #4801
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Any particular reason why you took this route when travelling from Mananthavady ? I'd have thought this would be rather roundabout and probably longer than even travelling via Bathery. (And which way did you travel from Mananthavady to Virajpet ? How are the road conditions ??)
oops! Big mistake! I should have put that sentence for the second option (mananthavady-Kutta-Hunsur-Mysore). Apologies! In fact I did take a longer route from S. Bathery to Bangalore. Had been to a wedding at Bathery. after the wedding, had to drop my dad at Mananthavady bus stand so that he could catch a bus back home to Kannur, so I came via Panamaram-Mananthavady-Nagarhole-Hunsur.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:43   #4802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I believe option 1 you have listed is Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Teicherry. Avoid this road like plague. It is in almost non motorable condition from Hunsur to Virajpet. There are two good options.

During Diwali 2012, on my way to Kannur, I took the periyapatna route and avoided virajpet due to the reports on this thread.

Now, my destination is a homestay in Virajpet. Am I going to be in a world of pain travelling Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet?

I will take the scorpio this time. Also, are there restrictions on this route in terms of night travel?

We are planning to leave Friday after midnight so we can reach by about early morning.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:47   #4803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Now, my destination is a homestay in Virajpet. Am I going to be in a world of pain travelling Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet?
For Virajpet, the best available option would be Periyapatna-Siddapura-Ammathi-route. Increase in distance is around 14 kms and since you had travelled in october, I guess you would be familiar with the route already. There are no night time restrictions on this route.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 10:46   #4804
Senior - BHPian

I am planning for a short trip to Pattambi tomorrow for attending a marriage. Start at 3.30 am, via Mysore, Nilambur, Perinthalmanna route and return on same route in the afternoon.

Any other routes worth trying?
Old 8th February 2013, 11:38   #4805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am planning for a short trip to Pattambi tomorrow for attending a marriage. Start at 3.30 am, via Mysore, Nilambur, Perinthalmanna route and return on same route in the afternoon.

Budget for 6-7hrs each way.All the other routes are roundabout ones and not really worth it especially considering the fact that you are returning the same day.If you do want to try out different routes,then you can try

1.Pattambi-Valancheri-Kottakal-Manjeri-Nilambur-vazhikadavu-Mysore-Bangalore

2.Pattambi-Valancheri-Kozhikode-Kalpetta-Muthanga-Gundlupet-Mysore-Blr

3.Pattambi-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Perundurai-Salem-BLR
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 11:42   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No suggestions other than taking NH209 via Kollegal-Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet. Even at 3:30 AM, I'd think it is easier to drive that way compared to the speedbreaker-ridden SH17. (It's of course a nobrainer for your return journey - you wouldn't want to brave the Mysore-Bangalore traffic in the evening hours !)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 11:50   #4807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala

No suggestions other than taking NH209 via Kollegal-Chamarajnagar to Gundlupet. Even at 3:30 AM, I'd think it is easier to drive that way compared to the speedbreaker-ridden SH17. (It's of course a nobrainer for your return journey - you wouldn't want to brave the Mysore-Bangalore traffic in the evening hours !)
Thanks! I will be taking NH209 on return. I thought SH17 is faster for 3.30am start.
Old 8th February 2013, 11:54   #4808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I will be taking NH209 on return. I thought SH17 is faster for 3.30am start.
You might want to pace yourself correctly otherwise you might find yourself whiling away time waiting for the CP to open at Bandipur.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:00   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

You might want to pace yourself correctly otherwise you might find yourself whiling away time waiting for the CP to open at Bandipur.
My friend just started driving and wanted to try some night driving. I expect slightly longer drive this time.

Hope CP opens at 6am.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:21   #4810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Budget for 6-7hrs each way.All the other routes are roundabout ones and not really worth it especially considering the fact that you are returning the same day.If you do want to try out different routes,then you can try

1.Pattambi-Valancheri-Kottakal-Manjeri-Nilambur-vazhikadavu-Mysore-Bangalore

2.Pattambi-Valancheri-Kozhikode-Kalpetta-Muthanga-Gundlupet-Mysore-Blr

3.Pattambi-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Palladam-Kangayam-Perundurai-Salem-BLR
Any reason to divert to Pollachi, Palladam, Kangeyam when most of the
Palakkad, Coimbatore, Avinashi, Perundurai stretch is in good shape. Avinashi bypass is ready and the potholed diversions are in good shape now.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:29   #4811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
With a 3:30 AM start it'd be at least 6:30 - 6:45 AM by the time they reach the checkpost - a reasonably good time to reach since the 6AM rush as soon as the gates open would have subsided by then.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:11   #4812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SH 17 is definitely faster at 3:30 AM. With a 3:30 AM start you should reach Mysore between 5:30 AM and 5:45 AM depending on where you start from Bangalore.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:43   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Did Bangalore-Pattambi-Bangalore trip yesterday.

Home: 3.30am
Silkboard - ORR- NICE Road exit: 4am
Forest entry: 6.55am
Pattambi: 10.20
Total distance - 368.5 kms door to door.
Toll: Nil

Lot of wildlife spotting and thick fog inside forest.
Stopped for breakfast at Vazhikadavu. The traffic was heavy once crossed into Kerala.

Return:
Pattambi-Shornur-Ottappalam-Palakkad-Coimbatore (town) - Annur-Satyamangalam-Kanakpura-NICE Road - Bannerghatta road - Home

Instead of L&T - Karumathampatti - Annur route, went through Coimbatore city. Traffic was pretty thick till Annur.

Pattambi: 2.30pm
Home: 10pm
Distance: 423 kms door to door
Toll: Rs. 23 for NICE road

Car was a humble WagonR and the max speed between Bangalore-Mysore was around 90kmph and rest of the entire journey, 80kmph.

I am falling in love with Vazhikadavu route every time. Enter forest before 9pm and beat the Kerala traffic, I love that!
Old 10th February 2013, 10:51   #4814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did Bangalore-Pattambi-Bangalore trip yesterday.

Home: 3.30am
Silkboard - ORR- NICE Road exit: 4am
Forest entry: 6.55am
Pattambi: 10.20
Total distance - 368.5 kms door to door.
Toll: Nil
This you mean by Kanakpura road or Mysore road ? Definitely a good time to start. And also did you mean 9AM or 9PM?
Old 10th February 2013, 11:08   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This you mean by Kanakpura road or Mysore road ?
Onward was via Mysore road and return through Kanakpura.

Mysore road is ideal for off peak hours while running time on Kanakpura road remains almost same throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And also did you mean 9AM or 9PM?
I mean 9 pm. By the time we enter Kerala, the traffic will be almost NIL and can maintain good average speeds easily (I prefer night drives on any high traffic routes)
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed